Sign in to follow this  
BleakSquadron

Tie striker... Wow!

Upon the reveal of the tie striker I was underwhelmed at first. 4 hull behind 2 dice? How quickly do tie phantoms melt without a cloak token? I've only just made a realization though. A rookie pilot x-wing is 21 points. A ps 8 with option for ept and premove boost tie striker is 23. What!? If that isn't a competitive price point I don't know what is! So now the only question is how many points are the generic pilots, because if they follow Imperial convention the ps 4 with black in it's name will have an elite option.

I had to think for a while about why my imagination is fired by Dutchess and not shuttle Hera, despite a lot of similarities. I came up with this:

1.) PS8 is a lot better than PS7. Natively it matches and beats more important ships.

2.) In-built pre-move boost is fantastic.

3.) TIE Fighter-ish dial immediately suggests a better dial than the assault shuttle, although I don't think that's necessarily going to be true.

4.) The Striker aesthetically looks like a real Imperial Warbird. The Assault Shuttle looks like the Assault Shuttle.

I think the real sticking point on the tie striker is gonna be where the point costs of the generic/EPT comes in. If it has one, it could easily slip into existing crack swarms (in place of the FO)

With an average dial it would find its home, and punch at a higher weight class than swarms already do.

ffg has yet to release a ship that both deserves to be 20 points AND is costed 20 points

case in point:

Baron of the empire with crackshot + title = 21

Zealous Initiate + title = 21

poor bastards :(

I don't doubt that the striker will miss the boat in this regard too

since it's basically attack shuttle prices, we're looking at

PS 1 - 16? (I wish)

PS 3 - 18 (zeb); before we cry out "poor alpha squadron"; alpha squadron sucks

PS 4 - 19 (note, Black Squadron; there's our ept! So it's guaranteed to be overpriced to at least 20 :( ala Ezra, except he has an ability)

PS 5 "some bloke" - 20

PS 6 "Pure-bloke" - 21

PS 8 "Duchess" - 23

...and premove boost...

Plus, it's not a "Boost" per se - so if you have any any in-game effect that grants a "Boost" action, you can do it in the same turn (an ability I was hoping would be a possible Scyk fix - but alas, TIE's have claimed it).

I'm hoping they realize just how much that third agillity die is worth and that it gets priced similarly to the tie fo. However due to duchess sitting at 23 that means the ship is 2 points more at ace level, omega leader as comparison. However duchess abillity may be worth a point in comparison to a normal striker. 16 points may not be too far out for the ps 1. If it follows tie fighter convention from there it would be:

Ps 1 16 (academy, epsilon)

Ps 3 17 (obsidian, zeta)

Ps 4 18 (with ept as Black, Omega)

If the ps 4 ept is 18 points, Awesome. Ffg probably over values the third attack die still though and were probably going to see a 19-20 point base cost at ps4. I'm still hopeful though.

I think where I am most excited is to fly 5 of these things, possibly with some small upgrades. I love my 5 A-Wings, but hate that I must choose to either boost or focus, now I don't need to make that decision anymore! Will they be competitive? Maybe not, but should be fun!

Oncthr orher hand, with the striker youre going to run into sutuations that you HAVE to boost whencyou really really dont want to. the slowest straight you can do is gonna be a 3 (1 boost then 1 s assuming it has one) hnless you bump with the boost

In addition with the title I'm imagining its s-loops we know it has (segnors card in the fan). This thing will be a master of getting behind a target. "Boost" closer to pop out behind them when it would've been blocked, or even use the s-loop after banking in the same direction to position perpendicular to your target.

I feel like they try to prive ships to prevent certain things instead of pricing thrm to be balanced right. Like the t65 at 21 pointsto prevent you from running 5 of them. I feel like they priced the fang ps1 at 20 points to prevent running 5 with the title, even though it wouldnt be broken if you did. Which then also affexts the higher ps generics.

I think one of its strengths is that you need to put it in a list where it's not "threat number one." Meaning your opponent targets something else while the striker throws 3 or four attack dice. I'm thinking a decked out decimator flanked by the two best pilots in the striker expansion will be a very fun list.

Since 21 seems to be the unspoken target price, it would make sense to continue that trend. Power creep can kill a meta.

It's not power creep if all the ships that are targeted at 21 points go unused because they're all overcosted.  Power creep is when currently competitive ships become underpowered by new releases.  Not when old unused ships remain unused because a new ship was actually priced right.  The fang isn't even balanced against OTHER ships in the similar price range.  Comparisons to the interceptor, kihraxz and a-wing ALL say it should cost 19 points max.

Edited by VanderLegion

You can always not equip the title

...  its like a thousand people just had a siezure over the fact that you might not want to include a Free title in your build...

...  I mean.  That's Heresy, right?

BTL-A4?

the slowest straight you can do is gonna be a 3 (1 boost then 1 s assuming it has one) hnless you bump with the boost

I don't see why bumping on the Adaptive Aerilons move would stop you revealing your dial - so you'd be moving at >speed 2 regardless. I'd have to check the wording of the rules to see if it'd cost you your action (assuming you don't bump again with your 'normal' move).

The Striker is going to have SLAM levels of straight-line speed if it has a decent dial. Can you imagine it with an Engine Upgrade and Lighting Reflexes? We're into "hooning around like a fruitbat on nitrous oxide" territory...

Is this the first time they've used the same squadron name on two different ships?

I assume it won't be Black Squadron Pilot or things are going to get confusing...

Nah, Blue Squadron Pilot (B-wing), Blue Squadron Novice (T-70), Red Squadron Pilot (T-65), Red Squadron Veteran (T-70).

I don't see why bumping on the Adaptive Aerilons move would stop you revealing your dial - so you'd be moving at >speed 2 regardless. I'd have to check the wording of the rules to see if it'd cost you your action (assuming you don't bump again with your 'normal' move).

I was actually just looking at this, and my guess is that if the mandatory 1-forward/bank is blocked you'll lose your action. According to the faq: "A ship must skip its “Perform Action” step if it overlapped another ship while executing a maneuver."

Apart from the duchess, these ships might be the easiest to block ever if they use the title.