Sign in to follow this  
rake

Capital Ship Deckplans

I'm deep into a Force and Destiny/ Edge of the Empire game, but I'm starting to consider running something in the future revolving around pilots and starship combat using Age of Rebellion. I'm a big fan of shows like Battlestar Galatica and Macross where the social drama of the crew is at the fore, but also where the ship itself is in its own way a character. Considering this, and noting that the characters would probably be Alliance fighter aces, I've started looking around for deckplans, schematics, cutaways, descriptions, etc. of the interior of a Mon Calamari Liberty class cruiser. I've come up rather empty-handed in the endeavor with only the shots of the briefing rooms, hangar bays, and bridge from what I think was the Home One from Return of the Jedi, which itself is technically a different class of ship, and a handful of drawings and technical specs. For that matter, I haven't even found anything regarding the interior of the arguably more iconic Star Destroyer. I realize the sheer scale of these things, but my group and I like having a solid idea of where things are, especially on ships, rather than simply hand-waving it. I suppose this is all to ask, does anyone out there have deckplans for a Liberty class, or really any comparable capital ship, in Star Wars? If not, how have you worked around it? Use the rough idea of something like the deckplan for an aircraft carrier? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anything that large is unlikely to have a comprehensive deckplan, simply because the ships are so large. Such a deckplan would be immensely complicated and intricate. I think your best bet would be to find a cutaway (from one of the Incredible Cross-sections books) and extrapolate from that. Good luck!

EDIT: Keep in mind that the Mon Cal ships often had passageways inaccessible to airbreathers, as their crew were mostly amphibious Mon Cal. Personally, I've always pictured them with a very organic feel - rounded passageways that feel and connect like arteries, etc.

Edited by SFC Snuffy

For the Star Destroyer, couple the information from Incredible Cross-Sections with the various deck plans of different areas found in the WEG Death Star Technical Companion for whatever specific areas you need, as Imperial ships are fairly consistent in their interior appearances, and there ya go. You should be able to find a pdf of the DSTC at d6holocron.

Star Wars Fans tend to be a bit less technical than Star Trek, so no one's gone through the trouble of decking out the entire layout of the huge capital ships, and considering that even the "official" deckplans of the smaller craft don't match up with the actual craft (The Falcon is bigger on the inside... so perhaps Han will regenerate?)... yeah.

The only Mon Cal deckplan off the top of my head is the Kuari Princess (Riders of the Maelstrom Adventure Module), a civilian recreational cruise liner. Probably not what you're looking for.

My advice is to map it out yourself. Remember that the way the game actually works exact rooms and hallways are pretty much worthless,so instead of killing yourself you can just decide the rough number of  decks and simply map out large sections with their dedicated function. That way you can show relative positioning of one thing compared to another for when you need it, but not have any predefined rooms or locations within a section. On the rare occasion you need a specific room, check out the old WEG Deathstar Tech Companion. It's got specific functional rooms and blocks mapped out, and given the standardized nature of Imperial design, there's no reason a block of officers cabins on a star destroyer would be especially different that the one found on the Death Star. Likewise the cabins and relative positioning on a Mon Cal ship would likely be comparable to the Kuari Princess (I believe older lore has most Mon Cal ships as converted civilian liners) so again, you could take whats' already there and just convert the space ***** range into a turbolaser emplacement and so on; keep the core ship intact and just strip out the pleasure features for military hardware.

D6holocron for the old stuff.

Seriously though, you're probably overthinking it a bit. I'm running a capship based campaign right now and so far out of the planned three seasons (and made for TV movie finale) I'm only expecting to NEED to use the actual ship's deckplan once. The rest of the time I've been just fine with descriptions and once or twice showing a specific room.

Also, look at canon sources such as Rebels. A Star Destroyer seems to have large sections in the engine room be open space, as opposed to tighly packed decks.

Well, those are a necessity anywhere there's any chance of a lightsaber battle taking place. Naturally, the engineers figured that the engine core was likely to see such use. ;)

Consider having only a general layout of the capital ship. Perhaps a cutaway from the side with the various decks named. Then, have a few detailed maps of the key areas encounters may occur: the bridge, a hangar, a gunnery station, a cell block, etc.

There was a WEG module called 'Starfall' where the PCs start in the detention block on a star destroyer that's in a battle and being blown to crap.  It had a cutaway map which was blocked out by section, not individual floors, but it might help you too.

Has anyone mentioned the Far Orbit Project? I did a quick scan through the thread and couldn't see it mentioned. It's an old West End Games campaign guide, the campaign was based on a Nebulon-B Frigate being used as a privateer, it contained some pretty useful deck plans for the craft in question, it didn't cover every single deck (Many such as crew quarters would repeat) but it does cover everything important. Could be a useful reference for layout of bridge, engineering, etc. Or you could just switch over to a Nebulon-B. It was in the D6Holocron last time i was there.

Hope this helps, good luck.

The most comprehensively decked ship in the WEG universe (I think?) is probably the Farstar, the tricked out blockade runner that forms the central location of the Darkstryder campaign. The maps for it are great, as well as the book itself, which really (I think) gives you a tangible feeling of how people probably were actually doled out, how work and sleep work, that sort of thing. Good stuff.