Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
guest460669

Questions about goblinoids

Recommended Posts

Hi guys! I have few questions about goblinoid race.

1. If my goblin unit (for example archer) is supported by other 2 units and I also have a Goblin Bass Drummer in this section, does that goblin archer unit become bold morale or that effects doesnt stack and it will be normal morale?

2. If my goblin units have normal or bold morale do they still have panic run?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poluekt said:

Hi guys! I have few questions about goblinoid race.

1. If my goblin unit (for example archer) is supported by other 2 units and I also have a Goblin Bass Drummer in this section, does that goblin archer unit become bold morale or that effects doesnt stack and it will be normal morale?

Like most folks, some people confuse panic (or frightened - the term used in the rulebook) with bold for the Goblins.   Remember that the frightened only applies when they have to retreat (will get to your 2nd question later but just wanted to state that].

In regards to bold, the bold DOES stack.   So if a unit is supported by 2 other units, it is Bold 1 (can ignore one flag).   And if there is a drummer in the section as this unit, then the unit is Bold 2 (can ignore up to 2 flags).      And to further the cause, if the unit was a Dwarf footed unit, then the unit would be Bold 3 (can ignore up to 3 flags).

Poluekt said:

2. If my goblin units have normal or bold morale do they still have panic run?

Like I stated above, panic/frightened only applies to when the unit retreats.   So if a Goblin unit needs to retreat, it needs to retreat 2 squares for EACH flag.   Plus it can lose figures from the unit when it does retreat.

For instance, if you happen to have a Bold 2 goblin unit and you had 2 flags rolled against it, you can do the following :

1) Ignore both flags.

2) Ignore one flag and retreat the other.  Then in this case, you would need to retreat 2 squares, since it is a goblin unit.

3) Ignore 0 flags and retreat for both flags.   In this case, you would need to retreat 4 squares.

Also since it is a frightened (the correct term to use vs panic!) unit, for EACH square retreated, you need to roll a die.   And if the die matches the helmet color of the unit, you lose a figure from that unit.    Thus a unit could die due to retreating.

Hope that helps.  If not ask away

Cab

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Caboose said:

Poluekt said:

 

Hi guys! I have few questions about goblinoid race.

1. If my goblin unit (for example archer) is supported by other 2 units and I also have a Goblin Bass Drummer in this section, does that goblin archer unit become bold morale or that effects doesnt stack and it will be normal morale?

 

Like most folks, some people confuse panic (or frightened - the term used in the rulebook) with bold for the Goblins.   Remember that the frightened only applies when they have to retreat (will get to your 2nd question later but just wanted to state that].

In regards to bold, the bold DOES stack.   So if a unit is supported by 2 other units, it is Bold 1 (can ignore one flag).   And if there is a drummer in the section as this unit, then the unit is Bold 2 (can ignore up to 2 flags).      And to further the cause, if the unit was a Dwarf footed unit, then the unit would be Bold 3 (can ignore up to 3 flags).

I don't think there's anyway for me to say this and not sound like a ninny, so excuse the ninniness - it is not intended :)

The Goblin Band unit provides the same type of support as a units adjacent to other friendly units provide - so in the case here, the bold would not stack.  If it were an embedded drummer within the archer unit and that archer unit were also supported, it would stack.

Caboose said:

Poluekt said:

 

2. If my goblin units have normal or bold morale do they still have panic run?

 

 

Like I stated above, panic/frightened only applies to when the unit retreats.   So if a Goblin unit needs to retreat, it needs to retreat 2 squares for EACH flag.   Plus it can lose figures from the unit when it does retreat.

For instance, if you happen to have a Bold 2 goblin unit and you had 2 flags rolled against it, you can do the following :

1) Ignore both flags.

2) Ignore one flag and retreat the other.  Then in this case, you would need to retreat 2 squares, since it is a goblin unit.

3) Ignore 0 flags and retreat for both flags.   In this case, you would need to retreat 4 squares.

Also since it is a frightened (the correct term to use vs panic!) unit, for EACH square retreated, you need to roll a die.   And if the die matches the helmet color of the unit, you lose a figure from that unit.    Thus a unit could die due to retreating.

Hope that helps.  If not ask away

Cab

 

With the current rules and expansions and lore cards, a goblin unit will never be "normal" morale.  Every goblin unit to date is "frightened" - always frightened.  Through support, or lore plays, or placement on a landmark hex, it can be "bold" morale as well.  The bold morale trumps the frightened morale as long as the number of flags rolled are less than or equal to the number of times the unit is bold (e.g. supported and on a stronghold, if one or two flags are rolled against it, the unit remains bold - 3 or more and the unit is no longer bold).  So, for any flag that a goblin unit cannot ignore, it must do the panic run (2 hexes per flag, 1d per hex retreated for the panic check).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought I already transferred this over:

Goblin Drummer (figure)
1. Can only be embedded in a Goblin unit
2. Replaces 1 figure of that unit when it is embedded
3. Makes the unit inherently Bold (a la Dwarven units)
4. The unit may still receive Support from other units to go up +1 Bold
5. May receive additional Bold from a Landmark to go up +1 Bold
6. May receive additional Bold from a Lore Card to go up +1 Bold
7. May receive any combination of #4, #5, or #6 and go from Bold 1 to Bold 4, which meane ignoring up to 4 flags
8. Embedded Drummers do not affect the number of dice rolled nor how they hit in battle nor the number of hexes the unit may move

Goblin Band (unit)
1. Consists of Goblin Bass Drum (banner bearer) and 3 Goblin Drummers
2. Since it has at least one Goblin Drummer, it becomes inherently Bold like any other Goblin unit with a Goblin Drummer imbed (does not cummulate - see the above description)
3. Goblin Bands give ALL friendly units 1/2 Support (called "support presence") in the same section of the battlefield.
4. Sitting on the seams gives support presence to both sections.
5. ALL friendly adjacent units (except webbed units) give support presence as well. Therefore any combination of 2 bands in the same section or 2 adjacent units give full Support which equals one level of Bold
6. No matter how much support presence is available, a unit can never receive more than 1 Level of Bold from support.
7. Goblin Bands may give support presence to each other BUT may not give support presence to themselves
8. A Goblin Band adjacent to a friendly unit gives full support to that unit (1/2 from the music, 1/2 from being physically adjacent)
9. Goblin Bands fight and move like typical green goblin foot units: 2 dice in melee, no ranged attack, move 2 hexes and battle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ColtsFan76 said:

6. May receive additional Bold from a Lore Card to go up +1 Bold
7. May receive any combination of #4, #5, or #6 and go from Bold 1 to Bold 4, which meane ignoring up to 4 flags

Again, sound the ninny alert:

For #6, Fearless makes a unit Bold infinity - so I would just drop the +1 limit there (though reasonable people will get the intent either way).

For #7, there's Fearless, but also if a unit is on a landmark hex adjacent to a stronghold, there's the possibility of Bold 5, so I would just say that any combination of #4, #5, or #6 will stack.

But point should not be lost that the embedded drummer affects the subject unit differently than the Goblin Band.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(Was going to comment on item #5 in the Band list, but I see item #7 covers the aspect about the band unit not recieving support to itself - might be nice in item #5 to also reference #7..just a thought).

Todd - thanks for catching the Band support plus also getting support from friendly.  Was just doing the natural Band support plus close support and thus thought it should be Bold 2.  You are correct it should be Bold 1 in that situation where you have a Goblin Band unit in the same section and 2 supporting units next to the unit in question.

Cab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...