Sign in to follow this  
Rinzler in a Tie

Scum is the new "Palp Aces"

Good job, everyone. You begged and begged and your overlords obliged.

Scum: The new uber-dominate faction that pushes damage through (Zuckuss, Slicer Tools, Feedback Array, and 4-LOM) and doesn't give a **** about your 3-dice primary because the ships that run with these crew have more hull/shields than your whole Imperial list combined. Want to PS-9 arc dodge? Ha. See those 180°/360° arcs? See that firing arc that MOVES?

Whisper. Nerfed, softly. Dies to Zuckuss and stress.

Fel, Inquisitor. Dies to Zuckuss, Slicer Tools and stress.

I'd go on but my plane is about to take off.

Tell me I'm wrong while I'm in the air.

No, Palp Aces is the new Palp Aces. Especially with Defenders.

All of this hyper offensive scum stuff has become necessary in order to actual get damage through.

I gave my opponent my Advanced Proton Torpedo Dengaroo variant. I was stupid enough to park Vessery at range 1 of Dengar, so he fired off a 5 hit APT at me. I rolled blank blank focus evade, and after Zuckuss ended up rolling the same thing.

A SINGLE ******* DAMAGE from a 5 hit attack. That's how ridiculous damage mitigation has gotten. Palp Aces ships are invincible and you need this level of firepower to ever hit anything. You can shrug off 4 hit U-Boat torps even easier.

A bunch of greedy Imperial players who are mad that something can actually hit Soontir for once. And a bunch of no-skill rebel players angry that they can't play Poe Han or Super Dash or something else obnoxious and dominate. I honestly don't know which group I hate more.

So a Defender with a focus token, evade token, Stealth Device and Palp (I'm assuming) was able to absorb a 5-hit attack, but still took damage that knocked out his Stealth Device and still forced him to burn Palp and all defensive tokens?

Not seeing the problem here.

The fundamental issue being that basically anything else would have taken 3 or more hits, and it had to be 5 hits to get anything to land at all.  Any less and it would have been laughed off.

Four hits would have still burned off usage of the Focus, Evade and Palpatine for the round. Three hits would have burned through at least two of those, making the ship an easier target for follow-up attacks. I'm still not seeing the problem, especially with Wave 9 around the corner and adding a slew of new counters. BMSTs, ARCs, Rigged Cargo and Asajj are all going to create new problems for aces, which will create new opportunities for everything else.

Scum: The new uber-dominate faction that pushes damage through (Zuckuss, Slicer Tools, Feedback Array, and 4-LOM) and doesn't give a **** about your 3-dice primary because the ships that run with these crew have more hull/shields than your whole Imperial list combined. Want to PS-9 arc dodge? Ha. See those 180°/360° arcs? See that firing arc that MOVES?

All of this hyper offensive scum stuff has become necessary in order to actual get damage through.

I gave my opponent my Advanced Proton Torpedo Dengaroo variant. I was stupid enough to park Vessery at range 1 of Dengar, so he fired off a 5 hit APT at me. I rolled blank blank focus evade, and after Zuckuss ended up rolling the same thing.

A SINGLE ******* DAMAGE from a 5 hit attack. That's how ridiculous damage mitigation has gotten. Palp Aces ships are invincible and you need this level of firepower to ever hit anything. You can shrug off 4 hit U-Boat torps even easier.

A bunch of greedy Imperial players who are mad that something can actually hit Soontir for once. And a bunch of no-skill rebel players angry that they can't play Poe Han or Super Dash or something else obnoxious and dominate. I honestly don't know which group I hate more.

So a Defender with a focus token, evade token, Stealth Device and Palp (I'm assuming) was able to absorb a 5-hit attack, but still took damage that knocked out his Stealth Device and still forced him to burn Palp and all defensive tokens?

The fundamental issue being that basically anything else would have taken 3 or more hits, and it had to be 5 hits to get anything to land at all.  Any less and it would have been laughed off.

Four hits would have still burned off usage of the Focus, Evade and Palpatine for the round. Three hits would have burned through at least two of those, making the ship an easier target for follow-up attacks. I'm still not seeing the problem, especially with Wave 9 around the corner and adding a slew of new counters. BMSTs, ARCs, Rigged Cargo and Asajj are all going to create new problems for aces, which will create new opportunities for everything else.

Almost none of those bother vessery, especially backed by palp. Stress is an annoyance, but you still get your free evade and a target lock (if an ally has one) and palp. And he can still kturn. Slicer tools only help against him if you have mechanics to stress him first since he doesnt ptl.

Slicer tools could bother ryad more, but you can just not ptl around thrm. Or if they become common enough, run something besides ptl since she doesnt rely on it like soontir

Is Zuckass without 4-lom really that powerful? You still have your turn to modify your green dice after your opponent has used Zuckass.

Yes. Not up for debate.

Your chances of rolling an evade are literally halved with Zuckuss: 50% down to 25% across each dice.

that's only broken if you're relying on green dice

i.e, are not very smart <_<

So what you're saying is it's only broken if you're:

- Ignoring one of four key mechanics of a ship

- Not token stacking to the nth degree (Imp. Aces, Dengaroo), at which point you need green dice to use said tokens

- Not using Palp (see above)

Sounds like someone is drinking the PowerCreep Kool-Aid. Why not just remove defense dice altogether? X-Wing 2.0 will be like the card game War.

"My gun is bigger - kablewie. I win"

If you don't think Zuckuss is broken you're wrong. Unequivocally. FGD - you're better than that.

Edited by Rinzler in a Tie

To be clear, this is not an "anti-insert faction here thread". This is a "Why can't we complain about rebels being OP again?" thread - Jk - I just hate seeing four-six of the same ship at the final table at large events.

I don't understand the sentiment to remove defense dice. Is there a better way to represent defending against attacks that I don't know about?

Edited by Rinzler in a Tie

I have never seen more wrongful and ignorant post. Seriously dude - you must be pretty bad X-Wing player, but what is funny is the way you post things with absolute certanity.

I play X-Wing competitively a lot (RO 32 of National Championship this August, at least two times a month store tournaments participation) and Palp Aces are currently easily counterable.

Party bus costs 34 points and it DESTROYS aces. Same thing with Jumpmasters - even without torpedoes they become powerful blockers, also with Overclocked Astromech they can become suprisingly tanky.

As I said in other thread I was playing Palp Aces - but they are easily counterable in this meta, there is too much hard work to do if you want to win with them; I changed my list to Party bus and two Jumpmasters and I currently win a lot against top polish players - and it is much more easier and forgiving list.

There is nothing wrong with Palp Aces, you are just bad at this game.

To be clear, this is not an "anti-insert faction here thread". This is a "Why can't we complain about rebels being OP again?" thread - Jk - I just hate seeing four-six of the same ship at the final table at large events.

I don't understand the sentiment to remove defense dice. Is there a better way to represent defending against attacks that I don't know about?

armada

or just being good at the game instead of at dice

Edited by ficklegreendice

Interesting question is: is Zuckuss more 'way too powerful' than Palpatine ? :P

You can run a perfectly effective Dengaroo list at 93 points. It gets better if you bump up to 96, but 93 is still plenty viable. That's a clue that it's stupid good; if you can give up seven points without unacceptably compromising a build, its components are too strong. 

Palpatine is also too good, and at a minimum needs a range restriction.

But, real talk: at this point it's clear Alex Davy and pals aren't willing to do the necessary balancing via errata, so hey, make Dengaroo, Scouts, and Palp the new baseline for balance going forward. 

armada

I've never played.

Some people appreciate the "honesty" that dice bring to a game.

armada

You do remember that dice are part of the game, right? Being good at the game includes using dice to your advantage. Don't rely on them raw, and if possible position yourself so you don't need them, but it's foolish to disregard them as a layer of defense. I'd personally find the Armada defense token mechanic wrong for fighter combat. It works well for capital ships, but half of a fighter's defense is semi-erratic flight (not represented by our nice, smooth templates) which make it hard to effectively target something.

Green dice abstractly represent the little jerks, twists and so forth which may or may not cause an enemy to miss you. Some ships, like TIEs, are very good at this. Others, like the VCX-100, basically have to trust the enemy to be a lousy shot.

Interesting question is: is Zuckuss more 'way too powerful' than Palpatine ? :P

You can run a perfectly effective Dengaroo list at 93 points. It gets better if you bump up to 96, but 93 is still plenty viable. That's a clue that it's stupid good; if you can give up seven points without unacceptably compromising a build, its components are too strong. 

Palpatine is also too good, and at a minimum needs a range restriction.

But, real talk: at this point it's clear Alex Davy and pals aren't willing to do the necessary balancing via errata, so hey, make Dengaroo, Scouts, and Palp the new baseline for balance going forward.

Exactly. FFG has zero interest in fixing anything. So all the "this is too strong" threads are a waste of time. The things that are too strong are simply the new baseline, anything weaker than that is obsolete, and new stuff needs to be even stronger to compete. The method of competitive balancing that FFG uses forces power creep.

It's threads like this one when I honestly have no doubt I'm about to "ignore" a lot of people, but have no clue where to begin.

so. tired. of. all. the. whining. :rolleyes:  

critisism is one thing, "the sky is falling, we are all doomed - and you're to blame" is something else - and it happens all the time around here - now.

we used to be "people who play xwing". now we are "imperial players" "scum players" and "rebel players" - and it seems we're supposed to hate/rage/*****/whine about the two other groups, cause you can only be in "that one cool gang".

It's a very long time in the past for me, but it feels like effing kindergarden. :angry:

..had to get that from my chest.  -_-

good night and "carry on".

So here's a rant--

Scum has gotten a lot of ships recently that seem to have been designed with the philosophy of "**** it, why not?" U-boats are one example -- "**** it, why not give the PS 3 an EPT? And knock down the price some more?"

Or the Shadowcaster -- "**** it, why not give it a five-straight? Why not give it an arc that's better than a turret? Why not let it automatically tractor you?"

Or Dengar -- "**** it, why not give a turreted ship an ability that makes it a good jouster, too?"

Or Zuckuss -- "**** it, why limit this card ability? (It's not like there are any ship's in the game that don't really mind having a bunch of stress, right?)"

Even the Fang Fighter -- "**** it, why not make this thing a super-jouster that's also an arc-dodger?"

It's as though they got really frustrated by past failures -- most waves having a few duds, especially in Scum -- and decided to err on the side of OVERpowered instead of UNDERpowered, which is a lot harder to fix. I mean, it's good that they've learned from their mistakes and haven't put out another bunch of over-costed Scum ships, but it's not good that they went the other way instead.

Of course, a lot of that is just my perception at the moment, and I'm sure I'll get over it (especially once I get to play against some of the Wave 9 stuff some more). Still though . . . .

And of course, the other factions get this kind of stuff too, but it came in little bits and pieces. Right now, I'm just a bit overwhelmed by all the Scum.

Anyway, that's that. Rant over. Time to get back to pushing spaceships around and remembering that this game really is a ton of fun, regardless of what cards are on the table.

Edited by Ailowynn

The problem with Scum at the moment is, in my mind, two-fold - triple torpedo Scouts forcing out a lot of previously viable lists (including a lot of Rebel builds altogether), thus allowing Imperial Aces (with or without Palpatine) to disproportionally flourish as the counters for it are diminished, and Dengar/Manaroo allowing Zuckuss crew to become plain ridiculous, as it no longer forces any real restrictions on the user. Wit that list, it becomes highly difficult for an opponent to deal with Manaroo or to damage Dengar significantly before they are crippled beyond saving.

That's not to say any of those lists are unbeatable, but they have narrowed the field of viable lists considerably - in my opinion more than any other Wave since 4/5 and the oft-maligned point fortressing of Han and co. Wave 9 will go some way towards addressing the latter here: Latts crew and BMST are very effective against piles of stress tokens, giving those tokens a drawback again for the Dengar/Manaroo list. I'm not entirely sure anything in Wave 9 directly deals with the torpedo boat threat, though, which may not alleviate their warping effect on other lists. New ways to deal stress will hurt them (Asajj, cargo drops, Braylen as a stressbot carrier), I'm just not certain how much.

Arguing over faction 'entitlement' and decrying entire factions or list archetypes as unbeatable or overpowered is not helping anyone, though. I don't imagine anyone from FFG is going to read a rant of that nature and change their game accordingly, so there really is no need to resort to hyperbole, rudeness or claiming opinions as facts.

The problem with Scum at the moment is, in my mind, two-fold - triple torpedo Scouts forcing out a lot of previously viable lists (including a lot of Rebel builds altogether), thus allowing Imperial Aces (with or without Palpatine) to disproportionally flourish as the counters for it are diminished, and Dengar/Manaroo allowing Zuckuss crew to become plain ridiculous, as it no longer forces any real restrictions on the user. Wit that list, it becomes highly difficult for an opponent to deal with Manaroo or to damage Dengar significantly before they are crippled beyond saving.

That's not to say any of those lists are unbeatable, but they have narrowed the field of viable lists considerably - in my opinion more than any other Wave since 4/5 and the oft-maligned point fortressing of Han and co. Wave 9 will go some way towards addressing the latter here: Latts crew and BMST are very effective against piles of stress tokens, giving those tokens a drawback again for the Dengar/Manaroo list. I'm not entirely sure anything in Wave 9 directly deals with the torpedo boat threat, though, which may not alleviate their warping effect on other lists. New ways to deal stress will hurt them (Asajj, cargo drops, Braylen as a stressbot carrier), I'm just not certain how much.

Arguing over faction 'entitlement' and decrying entire factions or list archetypes as unbeatable or overpowered is not helping anyone, though. I don't imagine anyone from FFG is going to read a rant of that nature and change their game accordingly, so there really is no need to resort to hyperbole, rudeness or claiming opinions as facts.

But what were they thinking when they made Zuckuss and 4-LOM one point?

...and they get a very good way to deal with PTL aces themselves.

So here's a rant--

Scum has gotten a lot of ships recently that seem to have been designed with the philosophy of "**** it, why not?" U-boats are one example -- "**** it, why not give the PS 3 an EPT? And knock down the price some more?"

Or the Shadowcaster -- "**** it, why not give it a five-straight? Why not give it an arc that's better than a turret? Why not let it automatically tractor you?"

Or Dengar -- "**** it, why not give a turreted ship an ability that makes it a good jouster, too?"

Or Zuckuss -- "**** it, why limit this card ability? (It's not like there are any ship's in the game that don't really mind having a bunch of stress, right?)"

Even the Fang Fighter -- "**** it, why not make this thing a super-jouster that's also an arc-dodger?"

It's as though they got really frustrated by past failures -- most waves having a few duds, especially in Scum -- and decided to err on the side of OVERpowered instead of UNDERpowered, which is a lot harder to fix. I mean, it's good that they've learned from their mistakes and haven't put out another bunch of over-costed Scum ships, but it's not good that they went the other way instead.

Of course, a lot of that is just my perception at the moment, and I'm sure I'll get over it (especially once I get to play against some of the Wave 9 stuff some more). Still though . . . .

And of course, the other factions get this kind of stuff too, but it came in little bits and pieces. Right now, I'm just a bit overwhelmed by all the Scum.

Anyway, that's that. Rant over. Time to get back to pushing spaceships around and remembering that this game really is a ton of fun, regardless of what cards are on the table.

So much wrong here.

Generic ps3 with an ept: scouts arent the first to get an elt at that ps, nor are they the last. They ARE the first generic large base pwt to see common use.

5s on shadowcaster: its a pursuit craft. Its SUPPOSED to be fast.

Mobile turret: pretty much exactly what people in the forums have been asking for. And now we're whining about it?

Dengar: theyre making turret ships have to care about arc. This is a GOOD thing. Dengars only a great jouster in a dengaroo list. Try jousting with him any orher time and he'll melt. And if youre not jousting, he might as well be a ps9 generic since you get no benefit from his ability.

Zuckuss: ill agree hes probably a bit TOO good, though again its not even the card itself, its the ability of

The party bus or dengaroo to ignore stress. Again, on a different dengar a stack of stress will kill him.

Fang fighter: if you joust with the aces, you will die. They have no palpatine backing them up, no evade action, and only 4 health. How often does soontir joust? Fangs will die faster. And the generics are all totally overcosted. As per usual for scum small ships...

They probably didnt think up dengaroo, and unlimited zuckuss isnt NEARLY as good on any other platform. Party bus is good, but limited by the dial and lack of turret.

And 4lom is probably fine at 1 point with requuring an ion token. How often do you see him outside the party bus or an occasional uboat?

Man, when rebels could bring their ace counters things sure were different. Stress tokens would stack high and regen ships would not care about 2 ace ships shooting at them cause they would disregard the damage in a couple turns anyway.. I mean top of worlds when palpatine hit the scene was 2 regen rebel lists right? I don't think the ridiculously broken palpatine aces has taken a worlds title yet.

I hope rebels can push through as a stronger faction than twin laser turrets, shield regeneration, fat primary weapon turrets, and low agillity small ships that die to ordinance in the very near future. I hope scum stays as powerful as they are. I hope the empire stays powerful as well. The game is extremely fun when both sides are actually having to plan around each others moves for the potential to lose in game assets.

Actually neither Zuckuss nor 4-LOM is broken. They are a little more effective to increase your expected damaged than a focus token. Zuckuss is not really effective against low AGI ships, 4-LOM is circumstantial and both have drawbacks.

People think Zuckuss is OP because of Dengaroo, but they ignore the fact that the build's strength comes from the large number of synergies allowed by the versatility of the JM5Ks (Manaroo's ability, JM5k dial + PTL+ unhinged astromech + Dengar's double tap + PWT + OCR4/R5P8 + Zuckuss + white S-loop etc). Just try to replace Dengar with another ship (Boba for example) and you will get a mediocre build.

If something is broken, than the Jumpmaster is. The 2 dominant Scum builds right now are the triple U-boat and Dengaroo. Both builds are JM5k only and both take advantage of the ship's many upgrade slots. That is not a coincidence.

Edited by Ubul

Actually neither Zuckuss nor 4-LOM is broken. They are a little more effective to increase your expected damaged than a focus token. Zuckuss is not really effective against low AGI ships, 4-LOM is circumstantial and both have drawbacks.

People think Zuckuss is OP because of Dengaroo, but they ignore the fact that the build's strength comes from the large number of synergies allowed by the versatility of the JM5Ks (Manaroo's ability, JM5k dial + PTL+ unhinged astromech + Dengar's double tap + PWT + OCR4/R5P8 + Zuckuss + white S-loop etc). Just try to replace Dengar with another ship (Boba for example) and you will get a mediocre build.

If something is broken, than the Jumpmaster is. The 2 dominant Scum builds right now are the triple U-boat and Dengaroo. Both builds are JM5k only and both take advantage of the ship's many upgrade slots. That is not a coincidence.

2 uboats + something has mostly taken over in place of triple uboats, though not entirely. And youre right. Its not a coincidence that jumpmasters are in both of the dominant scum lists right now. Its because we didnt HAVE anything else worth playing competitively. Brobots and perhaps quad tlt were the only reslly competitive lists before wave 8. Brobots never quite could take on palp aces and rebel regrn reliably enough, and tlt got pushed out by said jumpmasters. As soon as scum has more viable ships i eouldnt be surprised if the number of jm5ks went down. We'll see what happens with the fang and shadowcaster in wave 9. And even more so if they ever give us fixes for our existing small base ships

People seem to convieniently forget that that the second, third etc. shot at the Imperial ace in the same round will no longer have to go through the Stealth Device and Emperor.

If you go up against a Soontir at range 3/out of arc, equipped bwith Stealth Device and backed by the Emperor you should exspect to miss witht he first shot. Thats why you try to make those shots with multible ships and preferably at range 2 or in arch.

I've never played.

Some people appreciate the "honesty" that dice bring to a game.

What do you mean by 'honesty'?

Probably 'I think Scum needs a way to have a fighting chance against Palp Aces'.

4LOM and Zuckuss are the solution to the problem embodied by Palp Aces: too reliable defense.it's just a personal opinion, but when an Inquisitor can turn triple blanks into 3 Evades (Palp, AT, Evade token) stuff might have gone a bit too far in that direction

Edited by LordBlades