Sign in to follow this  
RedSixStandingBy

Non-model expansions possible?

The ARC-170 set (which I do not yet have) brings up a point...  Norra and Thane both flew different ships, right?  AS cool as it is to see them, and the ARC, it's be great to see Norra in a Y-wing, or Thane in his X-wing.  But lots of folks won;t want extra models of those ships.  FFG should consider the release of "pilot packs"  with just the pilot cards and cardboard bits.  It would also allow the release of different pilot variants without having to get new models.  

FFG has said repeatedly they will NOT be selling cardboard only expansions. The best we can hope for is another Most wanted type with cardboard for ships that were not in the same pack.

For example, Renegades and Rogues, E-wing repaint, Z-95 Repaint and your choice of third ship. Did you want more Rebel Y-wing pilots, with EPTs?! There you go! Need more HWK pilots? What about YT-1300/2400 generics that work? There you go.

Imperial version can be Officers and Nobility.

The ARC-170 set (which I do not yet have) brings up a point...  Norra and Thane both flew different ships, right?  AS cool as it is to see them, and the ARC, it's be great to see Norra in a Y-wing, or Thane in his X-wing.  But lots of folks won;t want extra models of those ships.  FFG should consider the release of "pilot packs"  with just the pilot cards and cardboard bits.  It would also allow the release of different pilot variants without having to get new models.

Until a second edition upgrade kit comes out, I suspect we will not get an expansion that doesn't include a model.

Shara should be in an A-wing, and Braylen in a B-wing. With there being so many instances of the classic fighters getting new pilots, and with Rogue One having new x-wings being flown, I suspect we will get new models (or repaints) of some if the classic ships.

We may get a second version of released ships. New sculpted B-wing that is flying horizontally, a new paint job in an a-wing. Throw in the arc-170 pilots to each rerelease and everyone wins.

Thanks for the replies guys.  That's a bit disappointing, even if I understand the business model.  I'd even be happy to get a fairly large/pricey set that included quite a lot of cardboard and no models. For me, the cost is not so much the issue, it's where I store all my models, and just having models I'll never need. I mean I LOVE X-wings, but short of a some sort of EPIC game, I'll never need 8 of them. :)

I'd love to see these named characters get the ships they are known for,. 

I think the only way we'll get cards without models is in something like the Most Wanted box. (Re-purpose cards/pilots) I'm pretty sure we'll get another box like that when FFG ever gives us a sub-faction* for S&V or when there is a dire need to add more pilots...but that might be a few years away.

*I would love a Hutt box just like the Most Wanted expansion- just switch out the two Black Sun Z-95' for Cartel paint schemes, include enough cardboard/gear for Hutts and Black Sun so that previous Scum cards are NOT obsolete.....and then, bam! Scum-sub-factions are a thing.

There may be a light, did Armadas campaign expansion include models? Maybe,just maybe, FFG has been able to alter the deal. The demand for alternative ways to play has been growing as HotAC demonstrates. I for exaple would love generic objectives to spice up standard games, similar to those in Armada.

There's at least a half dozen pilots you can put in X-wings that are from the movies or already Flyjng in another ship in the game, just from my poor memory:

Farlander

John D

Zev Senesca

Soontir fel

Corran Horn

Dak (Luke's gunner)

So yeah, we DO need more X-wings!!!!!!

Tycho and Ibby also flew X-wings.

FFG has said repeatedly they will NOT be selling cardboard only expansions.

There may be a light, did Armadas campaign expansion include models? Maybe,just maybe, FFG has been able to alter the deal. 

Just this.

The Corellian Campaign pack contains no models...  For "model use", it only has alternate Squadron Discs and Cards...  Which is kind of equivelant to Cards and Bases for X-Wing...   

And we know that Armada and X-Wing follow the same business model in almost every way...  So it is entirely plausable that you may see something like this in the future.

But as it is, the Developers that were interviewed by Shmitty at GenCon basically said that, at the moment, there are no plans for any other releases styled like the Corellian Conflict, but they're open to it in the future.

Storage isn't an issue for me but ship-bloat kinda is (see the "8x-wings" comment above) and I would personally be very much in favor of more "Most Wanted" expansions that breathe more life into existing purchases.

I would also be very much in favor of campaign boxes, and pretty much anything that keeps the game chugging along nicely :)

Edited by Bojanglez

Is a non-model expansion possible?  YES!!!!

Is a non-model expansion likely?  No, although you might say that the die packs and deluxe dial holders could count.

Not quite as dramatic as when I first read a question thinking someone may be looking at a Wave of non-model expansions but it would still have to start with a non-model expansion.

Is a non-model expansion possible?  YES!!!!

Is a non-model expansion likely?  No, although you might say that the die packs and deluxe dial holders could count.

Not quite as dramatic as when I first read a question thinking someone may be looking at a Wave of non-model expansions but it would still have to start with a non-model expansion.

The other non-model expansions are called "Play Mats".

Edited by knavelead

Card only expansion fits Armada better than X-wing just on the business model and design. The Corellian Conflict addresses a lot of key mechanics that the Armada Core set is missing (Better squadron options, different mission scenarios for variety, Only 2 configurations per ship) Those limitations seems much better for Armada because they are not likely going to get Aces and Epic expansion packs that X-wing gets to fix short comings with certain ships. 

Now that being said I would like to see some sort of "campaign Expansion" for X-wing and I am not talking about another huge ship for epic. A Battle of Yavin with a re-release of Wave 1 would be great. Some Unique titles for X-wings, more rebel Y-wings pilots, TIE-Fighters, and maybe a title for Vader's TIE would be great. (not to mention it would come with the much needed X-wing fix). A trench run scenario or a Yavin Base assault yould be a fill in for some sort of atmosphere combat with turret objectives. Have some attacker and defender strategms for a competitive scene where you could add Scum into the missions. Still it would not be cardboard only as I expect Wave 1 models to be in it.