Sign in to follow this  
tomkat364

Uninspired designs

The U-Wing and TIE Striker are gorgeous designs and both fit with the brand of Star Wars and their faction. I love the uniform designs of the Imperial ships and I love the rugged look of Rebel ships. As for originality the Striker is the first TIE we'll with moveable wings design for atmospheric flight and the U-Wing is the first ship with a swing-wing type design and the Rebels first shuttle.

These ships are going to attract a lot more sales of X-Wing as, unlike a lot it of (mainly Scum) releases, billions of people will recognise these instantly and not just us geeks.

So we don't have anything to complain about.  If we did get more ships then others would complain they have to buy more X-Wing miniatures and more Lego's and more plastic replicas and more models....

That would make no difference, repainted X-wing from TFA had two X-wing TMG releases, we are waiting for the third, two LEGO sets and shitload of plastic replicas and models.

The thing with these ships is that they fit the design space and theme of the various factions. Any fella can look at that TIE Striker and say "Yep, an Imperial fighter of some sort." I think it is a good thing the designers err, design them this way. It looks and feels 'Star Wars'.

Kylo's shuttle wings are very Tyderium-ish. Without any explanation, we know that it's a shuttle, and probably Imperial. It looks and feels 'Star Wars'.

The U-Wing, with it's name, X-Wing-esque engines, folding wings and Y-Wing-esque cockpit ... it looks and feels 'Star Wars'.

This is why I have difficulties with the Gunboat .. it doesn't seem to fit into the design space of existing ships. Yeah, it look like an Imp shuttle, but isn't .. err!?

If you want to talk about lazy designs though, that new black Imp Shuttle that looks like a geometric salad drawn by a 10 year old using only the line tool in Windows 95's MS paint ... that ship looks lazy.

Dood, GUNBOAT looks like an assault fighter that was designed by the same folks that designed the Lambda class...which it is! And how does it not fit within the design space? A long range fighter that can disable small craft or attack large craft with its heavy shielding. Sounds like a ligit design space to me.

But that's the problem .. it looks like a 'Star Wars Imperial shuttle'. When a fella looks at any of the TIEs he knows exactly what faction and kind of ship it is (in a broad sense - it's not a freighter or pleasure yacht). Hexagonal viewport, grey, solar panel-esque wings, etc .. all scream 'Star Wars Imperial TIE!' .. Just like a big disk with two sausagess coming off the bum-end scream "Star Trek Hero ship!"

The Gunboat, with it's Tyderium like shape Tyderium style cockpit and folding Tyderium like wings looks like, the Shuttle Tyderium. Not the long range fighter you described, but a shuttle. To anyone who didn't lose half their youth to playing X-Wing and Tie Fighter ... that is what they'd see.

I thought it looked more like ST-321(psst, it's a Lambda class shuttle, Tyderium was just the name of the stolen one used by Luke and th gang)

Anyway, look at GUNBOAT. Really look at it! It's a fighter, has huge missile pods on it, a slimmer cockpit with room for only one pilot, it's not some shuttle or transport!

Look at the TIE Bomber, it's got the same viewport as a TIE/ln, similar wings to the Advanced, but it's got a huge double hull design and a bomb chute. It's not a fighter, it's a bomber. But by your definition it has to be a fighter because that's what SW fans see.

And what's wrong with X-wing and TIE fighter? I defiantly didn't lose half my youth playing those games, because...I was already an adult when they came out...I'm old.

The Erevana......... all boring.

To me the only one I like is the U-Wing with the wings open and the four winged shuttle from Rogue One. And they are not THAT original.

Missed this earlier...does this mean we definitely won't see a Mel 'Eravana' ?  :(

TFA was dissapointing on the ship front, but I don't mind the slight upgrade idea too much. I love the FO color scheme. I have to think of polar bear fur when thinking about how the panels are still supposed to be solar cells.

I dearly hope for original fighter designs, though. R1 shows me that the capability is there, both ships are lovely.

TFA was dissapointing on the ship front, but I don't mind the slight upgrade idea too much. I love the FO color scheme. I have to think of polar bear fur when thinking about how the panels are still supposed to be solar cells.

I dearly hope for original fighter designs, though. R1 shows me that the capability is there, both ships are lovely.

It did not disappoint me, or many of my friends.  The T-70 X-wing is now my favorite starfighter ever.  Love the Upsilon Shuttle... obviously of the same family as the Lambda, but never-the-less different.  As I said earlier, my only wish was that the TIE/sf would be more visually distinct.  That's it.  Loved everything else.  And I don't think I am alone. I love the idea of late model A-wing in Ep VIII, but I DO think they ought to consider some more distinct designs as we progress through the trilogy.  

But the Gunboat still looks imperial, from just a glance. People see it and go, oh is that the Imperial Shuttle...it at least looks Imperial right away!

. Yeah, no. The Gunboat looks like it could have come from any of dozens of sci-if space games. If not for all the panting and moaning about it being such a marvelous example of Imperial design I'd never know it had anything to do with Star Wars. (Heck, same goes for the K-Wing. But that ship has sailed.) So while the U-Wing and TIE Striker may not excite some folks at least they fit the general design ethos enough that there is no doubt that they belong to the universe.

It did not disappoint me, or many of my friends.  The T-70 X-wing is now my favorite starfighter ever.  Love the Upsilon Shuttle... obviously of the same family as the Lambda, but never-the-less different.  As I said earlier, my only wish was that the TIE/sf would be more visually distinct.  That's it.  Loved everything else.  And I don't think I am alone. I love the idea of late model A-wing in Ep VIII, but I DO think they ought to consider some more distinct designs as we progress through the trilogy.  

Good post Red Six... now stay in formation!

;)

REB%2BNEW%2BX-WING%2BRED.PNG

REB%2BNEW%2BX-WING%2BRED.PNG

But the Gunboat still looks imperial, from just a glance. People see it and go, oh is that the Imperial Shuttle...it at least looks Imperial right away!

. Yeah, no. The Gunboat looks like it could have come from any of dozens of sci-if space games. If not for all the panting and moaning about it being such a marvelous example of Imperial design I'd never know it had anything to do with Star Wars. (Heck, same goes for the K-Wing. But that ship has sailed.) So while the U-Wing and TIE Striker may not excite some folks at least they fit the general design ethos enough that there is no doubt that they belong to the universe.
Could NOT disagree with you more!

And I've already stated that the gunboat looks like a Lambda, as have other people stated the same thing (on this thread and on others).

We do however agree on your comments about the K-wing.

Oh, and we agree about the Striker and U-wing both looking like they belong in the universe (though I NEVER said they didnt!)

Edited by knavelead

. The Gunboat looks like it could have come from any of dozens of sci-if space games. If not for all the panting and moaning about it being such a marvelous example of Imperial design I'd never know it had anything to do with Star Wars. Heck, same goes for the K-Wing. But that ship has sailed.
Could NOT disagree with you more! We do however agree on your comments about the K-wing.

Yeah, the gunboat is awesome; it's like the designers of the shuttle wanted to make a statement that they could hang with the big boys over at the TIE design department. Kinda like the GM Grand National designers did to the Corvette designers in the 80's. But I agree that the K-wing is not Star-Warzy in the least; and it's odd and unballanced, like a 6 year olds drawing. Ugg

B86EEDEC-84EC-4FFA-9304-00B307CCEDB2.png

Wishing, er, uh, joking aside, the Striker and U seem to look pretty close to cannon-isk for me. The Striker is obviously a TIE variant, and the U seems to be a design that came off the same desk as the Y-wing designers used.A9882235-3FF6-452A-845B-0C0A74B8F1F6.jpg

U-wing canopy looks more like the T-47 snow speeder, which would make sense if true U-wing was an Incom design. Those engines definately have the Incom look.

I dont really see anything wrong with the Tie Striker or the U Wing, the U wing is a stroke of brilliance fills its role perfectly, but the ties in TFA do bother me they dont look anymore advance then the old ties seems a step back from the tie interceptor and defenders

With all their funds sunk in to building another (stooopid) moon-sized base-station with mega-gun, no wonder they don't have the resources to do more that just bring a cheap easy-to-mass-produce front-line fighter up to date with some tech, and hope it's good enough.

I dont really see anything wrong with the Tie Striker or the U Wing, the U wing is a stroke of brilliance fills its role perfectly, but the ties in TFA do bother me they dont look anymore advance then the old ties seems a step back from the tie interceptor and defenders

With all their funds sunk in to building another (stooopid) moon-sized base-station with mega-gun, no wonder they don't have the resources to do more that just bring a cheap easy-to-mass-produce front-line fighter up to date with some tech, and hope it's good enough.

I can't tell if you are joking. The Death Star in R1 is the one in ANH.

...but the ties in TFA do bother me they dont look anymore advance then the old ties seems a step back from the tie interceptor and defenders

Sorry, I should been clearer about which part I was responding to (ie the reference to TFA).

- - - - -

On the topic of "not looking like Star Wars"... for me the StarViper looks more like something from any number of Japanese Anime rather than SW... but it's a big Universe, room for lots of alternate design styles I suppose.

Edited by ABXY

...but the ties in TFA do bother me they dont look anymore advance then the old ties seems a step back from the tie interceptor and defenders

Sorry, I should been clearer about which part I was responding to (ie the reference to TFA).

- - - - -

On the topic of "not looking like Star Wars"... for me the StarViper looks more like something from any number of Japanese Anime rather than SW... but it's a big Universe, room for lots of alternate design styles I suppose.

The Star Viper is an exotic ship made for a exotic person. I'd say its perfect for Xizor and Black Sun. It doesn't look like anything rebel or imperial and it also looks way more sophisticated than anything the ordinary people would use.

swx63_spread.png

I think this is dead sexy.

And while subjective opinions are subjective, if you disagree, you are wrong!

So there!

(stamps feet and thumps out of the thread)

I EVEN MADE BOSS EMOTES... ALREADY... DATS HOW COOL THIS BABY IS!

CHA-CHA-CHA-CHOWMS!

60SA.gif IMP%2BTIE%2BSTRIKER.PNG  37.gif IMP%2BTIE%2BSTRIKER.PNG  _heart__rvmp_by_bad_blood.gif IMP%2BTIE%2BSTRIKER.PNG  :wub:

DAM-RIGHTS!!!

swx63_spread.png

I think this is dead sexy.

And while subjective opinions are subjective, if you disagree, you are wrong!

So there!

(stamps feet and thumps out of the thread)

I EVEN MADE BOSS EMOTES... ALREADY... DATS HOW COOL THIS BABY IS!

CHA-CHA-CHA-CHOWMS!

60SA.gif IMP%2BTIE%2BSTRIKER.PNG  37.gif IMP%2BTIE%2BSTRIKER.PNG  _heart__rvmp_by_bad_blood.gif IMP%2BTIE%2BSTRIKER.PNG  :wub:

DAM-RIGHTS!!!

LOL