Sign in to follow this  
tomkat364

Uninspired designs

I don't want to start a lynch mob or just spew vitriol at Disney, but am I the only one that feel the designs for TFA and Rogue One designs feel very phoned in?  I get that they might be trying to channel the 'feel' of the OT, but every single ship from both movies is just a minimally modified echo of the OT ships.  This newest TIE has a single interceptor wing panel positioned differently from the interceptor.  The X-wings from TFA had half circular engines rather than full circle.  Kylo Ren's shuttle has folding wings like every other shuttle.  I just miss the NEW designs that every other Star Wars (prequels included) produced.

Honestly, the U-Wing is the best design I have seen in a long time. The more I see of it the more I appreciate its genius.

It fits in perfectly next to the original trilogy ships, really feeling like it was designed during the same period in the same shipyards.

But it is unique and cool and interesting and fills a new role in the Rebel fleet (And it matches well with their goofy naming scheme!)

I couldn't have asked for a better ship for the Rebel arsenal.

Edited by Mangipan

I don't want to start a lynch mob or just spew vitriol at Disney, but am I the only one that feel the designs for TFA and Rogue One designs feel very phoned in?  I get that they might be trying to channel the 'feel' of the OT, but every single ship from both movies is just a minimally modified echo of the OT ships.  This newest TIE has a single interceptor wing panel positioned differently from the interceptor.  The X-wings from TFA had half circular engines rather than full circle.  Kylo Ren's shuttle has folding wings like every other shuttle.  I just miss the NEW designs that every other Star Wars (prequels included) produced.

The other Star Wars products were just as filled with uninspired designs as we are getting now. There are some great designs out there, but you are only focusing on some very few options. 

TFA designs were terrible, but I don't agree about R1. TIE has to resemble a TIE, at least it has a different fuselage, unlike almsot every other TIE variant which only changes the shape and number of wings, and the U-wing is unique enough, especially with the wings in attack position.

See F-18 Hornet vs F-18 Super Hornet.  I'd even say the F-22 is to the F-15 like the T-70 is to the T-65.  Or even any WWII US Navy interceptor or bomber.
It's not exclusive to Disney/Lucasfilm/JJ Abrams.

This is not real life, every Star Wars movie introduced fresh designs, TFA did it only for ships with 2 seconds of screen time.

Do you know what would be stupid?

If there was completely different ships between the prequels and the original trilogy. It was bad enough that the prequels had nothing that was seen in the OT, 20 years is not long enough for all the ships to disappear.

If somehow in the middle there were ships that were completely different and not inspired from existing star wars ships i would be really annoyed.

I strongly disagree with you and its one of the things that largely annoyed me about the prequels.

The Erevana, the Resurgent Star Destroyer, the Ressistance Transport, the First Order Transport, the Special Forces TIE, Kylo Ren's Shuttle, the TIE Striker, the Delta T-3c shuttle.... all boring.

To me the only one I like is the U-Wing with the wings open and the four winged shuttle from Rogue One. And they are not THAT original.

Tfa designs were super lazy. They just wanted to reuse the OT ships but realized they might be outdated 30 years later. So they thought hey let's make them look slightly different and call them newer models!

Rogue ships are less lazy, but still a bit lazy. Both ideas are great. A atmospheric imp craft and a rebel gunboat. But the uwing looks too much like mashing a xwing and ywing together. The striker is ok I guess, but since it's atmospheric should have gone with a non tie design to be more unique.

I know this isn't the real world but give the model makers some crdit. If something as big as Ren's shuttle is going to be stored on a carrier of any sort it's going to need folding wings. You don't want something that big taking up that much deck space. Besides, it looks cool folding up.

As far as the other ships go, look at some real life examples. The F-15 and F-16 have undergone numerous mods but still look relatively the same.

The Tie Striker is the imperial Snowspeeder - with the difference that the Striker could also travel in space.

At least this is like I would imagine this vessel. And I'm fine with it. Don't try to give me a different explanation.

As well as ailerons won't work in space .....

This is not real life, every Star Wars movie introduced fresh designs, TFA did it only for ships with 2 seconds of screen time.

Really how fresh was the Interceptor compared to a TIE Fighter?  It's just a wing swap.  T-70 makes perfect sense for being the next version of the X-Wing, and the TIE f/o makes perfect sense as the FO was just a wanna-be Empire, so they copied everything they could from the Empire.

Really how fresh was the Interceptor compared to a TIE Fighter?  It's just a wing swap.  T-70 makes perfect sense for being the next version of the X-Wing, and the TIE f/o makes perfect sense as the FO was just a wanna-be Empire, so they copied everything they could from the Empire.

More fresh than TFA repaints compared to ANH ships (they didn't even copy the whole trilogy, jsut RoTJ D:). The very same movie introduced drastically different Lambda, A-wing and B-wing. 

It's not real world, extremely minor redesigns don't make sense because the ships are made to be interesting.