Sign in to follow this  
Sabine

SWX58 Still missing

Sorry, thought I had that whole block in tags.

Although I guess it means that if SWX58 *is* the Partisan X-Wing, that sort of proves the point that FFG couldn't announce it in advance...

(But, seriously, that is all such a very small part of the movie - it's not as big a spoiler as you may be thinking from reading it)

Edited by xanderf

The problem is that there is nothing in Rogue One which could be considered a spoiler when put into X-wing.

How about scum Xwings? Also the new capital ship turns out it belongs to a race that was kind of well represented in the rebellion, but its origins weren't obivious and it kind of changes when they got into the fight.
Not a single named pilot in the movie, not a single battle scene in the movie, not even a single one in flight, Partisan X-wing wouldn't be a spoiler.

And I don't agree that the partisan X would go to Scum. Saw's people, while not part of the Alliance, are clearly rebels.

Except:

1) When Jyn asked if Saw's people were part of the Rebellion, Mon Mothma very specifically and clearly said 'no they are not'

2) The whole reason Jyn was brought in was not to reach her father - Saw had that information - but to get to Saw, as his partisans would otherwise shoot Rebels on-sight.

3) Saw's fear on his first conversation with Jyn was that Mon Mothma had sent Jyn to assassinate him

4) At no point in the movie - not one frame - do we see the Partisans fighting for the Rebel Alliance.  Heck, they DO shoot at the Rebels, and as soon as they capture them they throw them all in their prison.

Sure, Saw's last line before he dies makes it seem like he's "repented" back to the side of the 'good guys'.  FFG says - last second repenting before death?  No faction change:

Darth-vader.png

Which is really why I think SWX58 makes the most sense as a 'Scum' partisan X-Wing.  That Saw Gerrera is not, and does not become, part of the Rebel Alliance - not something I think most people would expect from the trailers.

You don't have to be a part of any alliance to be a rebel.

It's pretty simple: you are part of an organized armed group actively fighting the government with the intention of overthhrowing it -> you are a rebel.

Edited by eMeM

The problem is that there is nothing in Rogue One which could be considered a spoiler when put into X-wing.

How about scum Xwings? Also the new capital ship turns out it belongs to a race that was kind of well represented in the rebellion, but its origins weren't obivious and it kind of changes when they got into the fight.

Not a single named pilot in the movie, not a single battle scene in the movie, not even a single one in flight, Partisan X-wing wouldn't be a spoiler.

And I don't agree that the partisan X would go to Scum. Saw's people, while not part of the Alliance, are clearly rebels.

Except:

1) When Jyn asked if Saw's people were part of the Rebellion, Mon Mothma very specifically and clearly said 'no they are not'

2) The whole reason Jyn was brought in was not to reach her father - Saw had that information - but to get to Saw, as his partisans would otherwise shoot Rebels on-sight.

3) Saw's fear on his first conversation with Jyn was that Mon Mothma had sent Jyn to assassinate him

4) At no point in the movie - not one frame - do we see the Partisans fighting for the Rebel Alliance.  Heck, they DO shoot at the Rebels, and as soon as they capture them they throw them all in their prison.

Sure, Saw's last line before he dies makes it seem like he's "repented" back to the side of the 'good guys'.  FFG says - last second repenting before death?  No faction change:

Darth-vader.png

Which is really why I think SWX58 makes the most sense as a 'Scum' partisan X-Wing.  That Saw Gerrera is not, and does not become, part of the Rebel Alliance - not something I think most people would expect from the trailers.

It's pretty simple: you are part of an organized armed group actively fighting the government with the intention of overthhrowing it -> you are a rebel.

Bingo. I think these "S&V X-Wing" arguments are borderline delusional - we saw Saw's group attack Imperials NOT for profit but because of who they are, which makes them Rebels.

Just because Mon Mothma didn't consider them part of "her" Rebellion doesn't mean they're not rebelling any more than them not being part of that group makes them S&V.

Without wanting to draw this back to the real world, look at how many variants of the IRA there were, all "rebelling" against the English government.  Just because the "main" IRA didn't consider the "Provisional IRA" part of their group doesn't make the PIRA smugglers.  

The idea that Saw's group were anything BUT rebels seems to be naive.

Edited by Bojanglez

Except:

Darth-vader.png

Bingo. I think these "S&V X-Wing" arguments are borderline delusional - we saw Saw's group attack Imperials NOT for profit but because of who they are, which makes them Rebels.

Just because Mon Mothma didn't consider them part of "her" Rebellion doesn't mean they're not rebelling any more than them not being part of that group makes them S&V.

Without wanting to draw this back to the real world, look at how many variants of the IRA there were, all "rebelling" against the English government.  Just because the "main" IRA didn't consider the "Provisional IRA" part of their group doesn't make the PIRA smugglers.  

Saw's cell *was* part of the Rebel Alliance but were later disavowed for acting too boldly and without orders.  Saw was fighting the empire, something the rest of the Alliance seemed reluctant to do....until learning of the Death Star.  

Except:

Darth-vader.png

Saw's cell *was* part of the Rebel Alliance but were later disavowed for acting too boldly and without orders.  Saw was fighting the empire, something the rest of the Alliance seemed reluctant to do....until learning of the Death Star.  

Right, which in NO way changes anything about Saw's motivation. Extremist or not, he was fighting the Empire, that makes him a 100% rebel.

Evidently, one of Mon Mothma's more obvious failings was NOT getting a patent on the name "Rebels" so she could have totally decided who was officially part of her group and who she could designate as part of another faction.

I wish they'd bring out a campaign-centered expansion (with or without miniatures), if only as an experiment. Maybe there are good reasons not to do it, but I'm kind of starting to feel I committed my money to the wrong game; Armada (terrible name BTW) and the skirmish/ground shooting game, Assault something, seem to contain much more in the vein of scenarios.

A game I used to spend quite some money on, even if I didn't get to play as often as I liked, was GW's Lord of the Rings. That had a very good mix of scenarios and points match variations, with or without objectives. Each Lord of the Rings book received its own sourcebook, that allowed you to play through the saga. There were hypothetical scenarios, but most were historical, and you could replay events from the books and/or the films. That was fun. If you wanted to, you could use rules where armies had to be thematic, so characters from very different ages could not be fielded in the same army, but it was also possible to min/max the most efficient army.

Scenarios and Campaigns come in the individual expansions.

Ohhhh Let me start my rant and hope that FFG will one day see this :)

After multiple viewings of Rogue 1 its basic X and Y wings kick a§$ and a campaign set based around R1 similar to the Armada campaign box would be a funt way to add lots of x and y wing only cards (or rebel only) 

adding many new x and y wing pilots so we can get back to the roots of x wing

Ohhhh Let me start my rant and hope that FFG will one day see this :)

After multiple viewings of Rogue 1 its basic X and Y wings kick a§$ and a campaign set based around R1 similar to the Armada campaign box would be a funt way to add lots of x and y wing only cards (or rebel only) 

adding many new x and y wing pilots so we can get back to the roots of x wing

Gold Squadron

Dex Tiree

Evaan Verlaine

Norra Wexley

Jon Vander

Crix Madine

Tiree

Ryle Torsyn

Hol Okand

Lieutenant Lepira

Davish "Pops" Krail

Keyan "Lucky" Farlander

Gray Squadron

Ekelarc Yong

Kin Kian (gunner)

Lieutenant Telsij

Karie Neth (gunner)

Red Squadron

Narra

Ru Murleen

Merrick Simms

John D. Branon

Grizz Frix

Theron Nett

Thurlow Harris

Tierfon Yellow Aces

Dosmit Ræh

And it would be cool to see pilots from...

Corona Squadron

The Contessa

Yendor

Kendy Idele

Thane Kyrell

Smikes

Lets be clear, people asking for a campaign supplement don't want a handful of paper pamphlets with some linked scenarios stuffed into a box. We want something like the Correlian Conflict box for Armada, or the Heroes of the Aturi Cluster game for X Wing.

Lets be clear, people asking for a campaign supplement don't want a handful of paper pamphlets with some linked scenarios stuffed into a box. We want something like the Correlian Conflict box for Armada, or the Heroes of the Aturi Cluster game for X Wing.

In a box, but not stuffed into the box, okay that's much clearer, LOL. 

In a box, but not stuffed into the box, okay that's much clearer, LOL.

Not sure if trolling but Chuck is right..

We want some legit, branded material with a ship or two and some special range rulers or tokens/obstacles in a box. Overstuffed boxes are appreciated too.

I don't know if we can be sure if it was "cancelled" persay. Like the little cardboard kits, if something is actually assigned to this product line it probably would have gotten to announcement maybe or otherwise been cancelled at a point after things were numbered after it, which I don't know if it fits the timeline. The product might still be delayed in testing or licensing, or simply the number is assigned to a theoretical product in development which is planned but hasn't been made yet, FFG jumps around a lot with their product codes for their RPGs for instance. We never saw what SWX58 is/was, so I'd wager it's possible the number might not stay "skipped" in future.

If we want to call it for sure, we either need to wait a long while and probably see some non-standard (Aces/Epic/Campaign/Accessory) which skip the number of FFG to just say eventually "yeah, that was a cancelled product" (which shouldn't be too crazy an admission if it's fully canceled). 

Sorry to bump an older thread, but are we thinking this is just a cancelled product at this point? We didn't get any news surrounding the Rogue 1 release and I doubt we will get any more news that hasn't been released by now...

There are still some things coming up in season 3 of 'Rebels' that aren't public knowledge, yet, so this may still be related.

If SWX58 wasn't tied to Rogue One, then it was unlikely to have been released in the near term, anyway - FFG is focusing on getting the Rogue One products on the shelves and sold at the moment, while the movie is still in first-run theaters.

FWIW, there is an 'Armada' SKU missing, too (SWM20) - it's possible these are related, in some way.

There are ships OUT with codes after this thing that hasnt even been announced. This suggests to me that it's not a ship, but somethng that needs considerably -more- testing than "just" a ship.

A paper scenerio like in an epic box is simple, because you rely on your opponent to be on the same level as you. But a HotAC style AI campain? Balanced not just for wave 5 but wave 10,11, and 12 support? Possibly separate Imperial and Rebel campains, with a mercenary option? THAT takes testing.