Sign in to follow this  
ViscerothSWG

Go Rogue - New Article Announcement

Seems like the HAWK is even more useless now!

It was never a great platform to begin with. It's strength was that it was a cheap and versatile crew carrier that could take a turret to compensate for its abysmal (lack of) firepower.

The U-wing looks to cost about the same amount as a HWK with turret, has an extra Crew slot, a highly coveted System slot and is 60% tougher. You lose the 360-degree firepower that a turret brings but as long as the dial is OK (and the green 2 Bank is a promising start) then I really don't see a place for the Rebel HWK unless you are really starved for points or desperately want a specific pilot ability.

It was never a great platform to begin with. It's strength was that it was a cheap and versatile crew carrier that could take a turret to compensate for its abysmal (lack of) firepower.

The U-wing looks to cost about the same amount as a HWK with turret, has an extra Crew slot, a highly coveted System slot and is 60% tougher. You lose the 360-degree firepower that a turret brings but as long as the dial is OK (and the green 2 Bank is a promising start) then I really don't see a place for the Rebel HWK unless you are really starved for points or desperately want a specific pilot ability.

Hence my previous proposition : 

buy U-wing, keep the cards and dial, toss the model and replace with Raven's Claw :)

Rebel HWKs haven't had a good place in a long while now. FFG did perfect work with the Scum versions by giving them extraordinarily douchebaggy abilities good enough to warrant crap like Cloak-SPA-ABT Palob (Mindlink for style points). They still don't have the durability to be tournament staples, but they are usable and excellent oddballs for tournaments with few games if you like to gamble a bit.

Rebel HWKs haven't had a good place in a long while now. FFG did perfect work with the Scum versions by giving them extraordinarily douchebaggy abilities good enough to warrant crap like Cloak-SPA-ABT Palob (Mindlink for style points). They still don't have the durability to be tournament staples, but they are usable and excellent oddballs for tournaments with few games if you like to gamble a bit.

(remembers when 40+ pt HWKs were in style)

Yeah, I'm excited for the U-wing. Especially because of the model. 

don't know if I'm ready for more wingspan (that FOLDS!!!!! :o :o :o )

I'm still drooling over the ARC

14258352_10157372911995142_9191303696393

Tsk, you had to ruin it with that ugly little four winged thing!

Yeah, I'm excited for the U-wing. Especially because of the model. 

don't know if I'm ready for more wingspan (that FOLDS!!!!! :o :o :o )

I'm still drooling over the ARC

14258352_10157372911995142_9191303696393

Tsk, you had to ruin it with that ugly little four winged thing!

not my fault FFG didn't do the right thing and put Biggs (with r4-d6!) in an ARC

I'd drop Braylen's gunner down to tactician in a heartbeat if it meant getting an ARC Biggs :(

Edited by ficklegreendice

(remembers when 40+ pt HWKs were in style)

That was kind of amazing. Although of course it was a syptom of the 2 ship hype of wave 5, so thats not cool. But still, even on those dire times of a tiny viable list pool that was basicaly just one archetype, X-Wing manages to produce awesomeness. Kind of funny that TLT, the piece that could have pushed Jan/Dash lists into the deep mainstream also singlehandedly ended that meta.

If someone can point to anything in the movies that closing an X-Wings S-Foils would bring to the game other than "closed means you're travelling, open means you're fighting," I'm all ears.

"Lock S-foils in to attack position." - Garven Dreis, right before Red Squadron X-wings open their wings.

So, if there is attack position....that I assume means firing the guns.....the other position is......for not firing guns.  So, we have a combat mode and a....non-combat mode.  

If someone can point to anything in the movies that closing an X-Wings S-Foils would bring to the game other than "closed means you're travelling, open means you're fighting," I'm all ears.

"Lock S-foils in to attack position." - Garven Dreis, right before Red Squadron X-wings open their wings.

So, if there is attack position....that I assume means firing the guns.....the other position is......for not firing guns.  So, we have a combat mode and a....non-combat mode.  

this is why I've never been a fan of an S-foil card for X-wings.  We never get any indication that closing the S-foils during combat does you any good; not in the movies, anyway.  Some video games have used it.  

I think the most palatable application of an S-foil card for an x-wing would be a dual card where one side gave you some sort of straight-up combat bonus (reroll, extra die, etc.), and the other side made you perform a SLAM action.  Could be a nice little T-65 fix.

It seems that the sexiest ship in Star Wars will have something to do in Rogue One;

rCPAV4m.jpg

Screw HoTR, and screw copycat fighters and boring freighters, I want my veterans pack with a fresh batch of Y-wing pilots!

OH ho ho ho hoooo man. My wild guess that I didn't even really believe myself that the missing Sku might be a Rebel expansion with X-wing and Y-wings is slightly less crazy now. Y-wings in Rogue One??? Yes please!

Edited by Kdubb

It seems that the sexiest ship in Star Wars will have something to do in Rogue One;

rCPAV4m.jpg

Screw HoTR, and screw copycat fighters and boring freighters, I want my veterans pack with a fresh batch of Y-wing pilots!

OH ho ho ho hoooo man. My wild guess that I didn't even really believe myself that the missing Sku might be a Rebel expansion with X-wing and Y-wings is slightly less crazy now. Y-wings in Rogue One??? Yes please!

Y-wings!!!! Yay!!! My favorite Rebel ship!

Guess I will be spending some money's on micro machines again

Not just any Y-Wings... Gold Squadron Y-Wings!

And maybe we'll get Tiree and Pops in Ywings then! Or... Keyan Farlander! :)

And hopefully someone with a EPTon a Rebel Ywing! I refuse to believe that Scum Ywing pilots are better than Salm!

Which does bring up an interesting point, Scum seem to get EPTs on ships annd/or low level pilots that really shouldnt have EPTs (jumpmaster due to the Contracted Scout, and Ywing are perfect examples)

Uh ... spoilers

Yeah, there's an Asaault and Fighting in a Star Wars movie!

I hope we will see TIE Bombers as well, since there is a bomber in the picture ... and at least one ground battle ... and TIE Bombers' primary role is to attack surface targets ... and rebel ground troops are excellent targets for proton bombs, don't they?

Uh ... spoilers

Yeah, there's an Asaault and Fighting in a Star Wars movie!

I hope we will see TIE Bombers as well, since there is a bomber in the picture ... and at least one ground battle ... and TIE Bombers' primary role is to attack surface targets ... and rebel ground troops are excellent targets for proton bombs, don't they?

That's in the Rebels pack and they've already shown up in Rebels, so I wouldn't get my hopes up. Still, would be cool!

Y-wings!!!! Yay!!! My favorite Rebel ship!

Guess I will be spending some money's on micro machines again

We just had a new player come into league last night whose favorite ship is the Y-Wing. He was disappointed by his perception that they weren't very good out of the pack, and that there were so few pilots.

Some new Y-Wing pilots would be fantastic. Dex Tiree and "Pops" Krail (Gold Two and Gold Five from New Hope) are still missing, and Norra flew Gold Nine at Endor.