Drasnighta

Article Predictions. Mostly General Discussion. But there's definately some Predictions scattered throughout.

2 hours ago, Jukey said:

April 11th is my guess now,  if they dont release it for celebration then they really are missing a sales opportunity.

As much as I want to agree with you, I don't think they will be missing said opportunity.

The SSD pre-order is already out of stock at Cool Stuff Inc. and Boardlandia. While that is only anecdotal, I'm sure it represents a subset of the larger base.

2 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

Really?

Hadnt noticed the time. 

Been having too much fun actually playing.

Everytime I start to get down on the game, playing an in-person Armada battle really hypes me up. Even though I find the tournaments and really hard fought games mentally exhausting, I am ready to play soon after.

It's when I don't play *and* don't have anything to look forward to that I get down on the health and longevity of Armada. 

3 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

Really?

Hadnt noticed the time. 

Some people can play and have time to post or check websites.

3 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

I can second this sentiment. I got a good match in Friday. It was super close. (Or at least I'd like to think it was).  Went in with a sloane fleet. Lost to an MSU trc90 fleet with no squads... I was supremely disappointed with all my rolls, and amazed by his. I don't think a single cr90 fired at less than 5 damage that game...

Even a loss in Armada is still a great change of pace compared to being stuck playing legion or...ugh.... x-wing...

41 minutes ago, Ginkapo said:

Are those who arent playing clinging to the notion that an SSD release or an article will increase the number of players? I cant see it changing anything...

I hope it does but realistically our local group has had 3 ship tokens for the SSD basically since they announced it and I think they've only been used once or twice. Even now that our local group is doing 800 point matches, no one has tried to use an SSD. 

I'm hyped as **** for it but I'm already getting games in, I don't see it changing a lot either. 

2 hours ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I hope it does but realistically our local group has had 3 ship tokens for the SSD basically since they announced it and I think they've only been used once or twice. Even now that our local group is doing 800 point matches, no one has tried to use an SSD.

What a pitty! I played two matches with and one against a SSD (proxy only). All three games were great fun. It IS big and FEELS big.

6 minutes ago, Triangular said:

What a pitty! I played two matches with and one against a SSD (proxy only). All three games were great fun. It IS big and FEELS big.

What were the point totals?  For the "one against" match, did you build to kill it?  How much of a challenge was it to destroy?

13 minutes ago, Triangular said:

I played it using JJ in a standard 400 point game, and loved it, I really wanna try it in an 800 or 1200 point game but I haven't had a chance as of yet. After that another player tried it and got stomped pretty hard. Since then no one else has really tried. 

I'm sure once the actual product is here they'll try it, just to see the model on the board, but I'm not sure how relevant it's gonna be in our meta. 

6 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

You should try it sometime 

I would, but the majority of the people in my area have quit because stores in the area stopped selling the product/ffg stopped releasing new product for it. 

22 minutes ago, dominosfleet said:

I would, but the majority of the people in my area have quit because stores in the area stopped selling the product/ffg stopped releasing new product for it. 

I don’t believe That’s a reason to stop playing - it’s an excuse, for sure...

But there must have been some other issue for them, even if they don’t readily understand it.

You May want support, but again, personally, I don’t feel you need it...  

11 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

What were the point totals?  For the "one against" match, did you build to kill it?  How much of a challenge was it to destroy?

All three were standard 400 pts matches. We house-ruled, that for all deployment issues only the rear-base was relevant. (You have to deploy the rear-base in your deployment zone and can deploy fighters within distance 1-2 of the rear-base.)

The first match I played against it was our very first match with the proxy. We decided very spontaneously to give it a try. I just took the list I played at a bigger store championship (Sato MC75 with 3 hammerheads, 4 aces). I new the list was okay for competetive purpose.

I didn't see a chance to kill the beast so decided to go for the objective: Station Assault. I won but only because we had no experience with the SSD. My opponent planed too less Navigation Commands (he took Repair, what was not relevant). And he deployed the station too near to his deployment zone. Because of that the two stations were in his rear zone and I could get around him.

We learned from that and the second game I played the SSD with Admiral Piett and Wulff Yularen and a squadron combo against a very mobile Madine-Liberty-Mc30c list. My opponent was a weaker player. I always table him (and feel sorry for that) and I did it this time. I was second player and chose Blockade Run.

The token-management with Wulff and Piett was really great fun! I did almost every round two Command Dials, Squadron Command and Navigation most of the time. My opponent was really surprised how the SSD could bring its snout in or out of range with 1 click and 1 speed change!

In this game I felt like a captain of a really big ship giving lots of orders and ploughing trough asteroids without noticing. (Almost without noticing. I deployed very near to one side of the board because I didn't want my opponent to jump to both sides. I took the debris damage at this side.)

Third game I played almost the same list like the second game. My opponent brought some very tanky MC30cs and decided to avoid the SSD and just went after my squadrons. That was a boring game. My biggest problem was that I had to deploy the SSD first and he could anticipate. (And I nearly ran off the board, because I got confused with the Piett-Yularen-shenanigans...)

Three games is only a limited game experience. But I really enjoyed the SSD. It's a very different ship. Its movement is compareable to a VSD. But the longer axis lets swing the front very wide. It's very funny when your opponent drops very near to your front and then you make a 1-click-move and end at medium range!

To a certain degree you are limited to what your opponent decides. You can't force a fight if your opponent wants to avoid it. You need objectives that force your opponent to join in or lose badly.

I think it's maybe not the best ship for 400 pts. I could imagine that it will be best at 600-650 FP.

Just now, Triangular said:

All three were standard 400 pts matches. We house-ruled, that for all deployment issues only the rear-base was relevant. (You have to deploy the rear-base in your deployment zone and can deploy fighters within distance 1-2 of the rear-base.)

The first match I played against it was our very first match with the proxy. We decided very spontaneously to give it a try. I just took the list I played at a bigger store championship (Sato MC75 with 3 hammerheads, 4 aces). I new the list was okay for competetive purpose.

I didn't see a chance to kill the beast so decided to go for the objective: Station Assault. I won but only because we had no experience with the SSD. My opponent planed too less Navigation Commands (he took Repair, what was not relevant). And he deployed the station too near to his deployment zone. Because of that the two stations were in his rear zone and I could get around him.

We learned from that and the second game I played the SSD with Admiral Piett and Wulff Yularen and a squadron combo against a very mobile Madine-Liberty-Mc30c list. My opponent was a weaker player. I always table him (and feel sorry for that) and I did it this time. I was second player and chose Blockade Run.

The token-management with Wulff and Piett was really great fun! I did almost every round two Command Dials, Squadron Command and Navigation most of the time. My opponent was really surprised how the SSD could bring its snout in or out of range with 1 click and 1 speed change!

In this game I felt like a captain of a really big ship giving lots of orders and ploughing trough asteroids without noticing. (Almost without noticing. I deployed very near to one side of the board because I didn't want my opponent to jump to both sides. I took the debris damage at this side.)

Third game I played almost the same list like the second game. My opponent brought some very tanky MC30cs and decided to avoid the SSD and just went after my squadrons. That was a boring game. My biggest problem was that I had to deploy the SSD first and he could anticipate. (And I nearly ran off the board, because I got confused with the Piett-Yularen-shenanigans...)

Three games is only a limited game experience. But I really enjoyed the SSD. It's a very different ship. Its movement is compareable to a VSD. But the longer axis lets swing the front very wide. It's very funny when your opponent drops very near to your front and then you make a 1-click-move and end at medium range!

To a certain degree you are limited to what your opponent decides. You can't force a fight if your opponent wants to avoid it. You need objectives that force your opponent to join in or lose badly.

I think it's maybe not the best ship for 400 pts. I could imagine that it will be best at 600-650 FP.

Thanks!  I find it troubling that the SSD didn't die or generally encourage a fight, though I'm reserving judgement on it until release.  I've built a fleet to try and kill it, which I'll test in a normal match this month.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

I don’t believe That’s a reason to stop playing - it’s an excuse, for sure...

But there must have been some other issue for them, even if they don’t readily understand it.

You May want support, but again, personally, I don’t feel you need it...  

My bad Dras, clearly the 20ish people playing semi regularly in the area 2 years ago quit for totally different reasons, my mistake. It didn't take me 2 weeks just to gather 6 people for a CC when before I'd have had to turn people down or help the extras form another group because we had so many people before. 

to further that, you're 100% right, the game is doing great, fully supported, and nothing is going poorly whatsoever, in fact my understanding is that at the last event punch and pie was served. 

Thank you for clearing that up Dras. Glad you found time to get games in. |

Serious question: how were regional numbers this year? I only made it to one of the 3 I was planning on attending this year but I still paid attention to the numbers of the other 2. They were down a bit from what I remember, the one i attended was at game cafe and I believe they were just over 20 people, down from the 28 we had the previous year. I didn't make it to family time games but I saw on their facebook page that they had 20 this year,@Snipafist last year there were just shy of 40 right? there was concern it would be a 2 day event. Geekery had 10 , down from the 16 of last year. Was that an trend at the other regionals? Weather was rough this year so I could see it having an impact on attendance this year. 

Edited by dominosfleet

5 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

Thanks!  I find it troubling that the SSD didn't die or generally encourage a fight, though I'm reserving judgement on it until release.  I've built a fleet to try and kill it, which I'll test in a normal match this month.

I'm quite sure the SSD can be killed. It's not so much of a frightening beast as soon you manage to get around the front arc. The three games the SSD survived quite easily, but my game experience can only give some hints. In all three games my opponents played for the first time with or against it. It's harder to fight something you are not familiar with. I remember the first time I played a Raddus drop at a tourney quite soon after it was legal. My opponents were just shocked!

Maybe the SSD could be a ship that works quite well for tournaments, because your opponent should want to kill it, because you normally can't win with a 6-5? Maybe we won't see it at tournaments, because it's hard to force a 10-1 with it? I don't mind that too much.

I was surprised that this ship felt different. And for me it felt right. That did count.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, dominosfleet said:

My bad Dras, clearly the 20ish people playing semi regularly in the area 2 years ago quit for totally different reasons, my mistake. It didn't take me 2 weeks just to gather 6 people for a CC when before I'd have had to turn people down or help the extras form another group because we had so many people before. 

to further that, you're 100% right, the game is doing great, fully supported, and nothing is going poorly whatsoever, in fact my understanding is that at the last event punch and pie was served. 

Thank you for clearing that up Dras. Glad you found time to get games in. |

Serious question: how were regional numbers this year? I only made it to one of the 3 I was planning on attending this year but I still paid attention to the numbers of the other 2. They were down a bit from what I remember, the one i attended was at game cafe and I believe they were just over 20 people, down from the 28 we had the previous year. I didn't make it to family time games but I saw on their facebook page that they had 20 this year,@Snipafist last year there were just shy of 40 right? there was concern it would be a 2 day event. Geekery had 10 , down from the 16 of last year. Was that an trend at the other regionals? Weather was rough this year so I could see it having an impact on attendance this year. 

Your sarcasm is noted.

On a serious note- Do you dispute that rule wise, the game is in at least a fair place?

Do you dispute there are at least options of ships and builds to play?

Design Wise, Replayability wise, that’s what a game needs to be continued to be played...  So, intellectually, I don’t understand why that is a reason to “jump ship”, particularity en masse.

Having an influx of new things is good, and desirable, but not “essential”...  So I feel like there was sone other reason, even if it was personally but known to them — heck, advertisement of something else and peer pressure would totally count...

Do you see my point, sarcastic hyperbole replies aside?

To answer the follow up numbers question - I had 20 booked, despite the 6” of snow and the -30C temperature. (2 missed, one with a sick wife and one whose FIFO replacement didn’t replace them). That was also our cap.

Half of those players travelled 3-4 hours on the QE2 from Edmonton, and we had 1 fly in from Vancouver.

Tgat was up from 16 last year, and we were capped due to having to share the day with Destiny Regionals that took some of our players and a bunch of tables for their 18.

Edited by Drasnighta

4 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

Then they should play more.

I mean, I kept checking and posting...... but I didn’t notice

Maybe they post/read/comment at work when they can't play?