Drasnighta

Article Predictions. Mostly General Discussion. But there's definately some Predictions scattered throughout.

9 hours ago, Norell said:

That's awfully convenient. I wonder why Jedi spent a lifetime with training and the Sith spent millienia in collecting knowledge when all they would have to do is to tap each other's mind. Seriously, that's the best they came up with?!

Back on topic: Did you know that we are one day closer to thenext article? :D

It's awfully convenient that you seem to ignore the fact that jedi and sith have different strengths and weaknesses.  They manifest their powers in various ways.  Battle meditation, psychometry, deadly sight, telepathy, agility, etc.  Some Jedi and Sith have extremely unique abilities that just aren't seen in others, or are extremely rare.

Jedi and Sith tap into the force and use it to manifest powers.  Through training, they can grow their ability, but just like in real life, different people have different natural abilities, differences in their maximum potential, etc.

Michael Phelps is an amazing swimmer.  But no amount of training would have turned him into an Olympic gymnast.  Try taking Montana, Rice, Elway, Bradey, tossing them in a pool and training them like Phelps.  None of them will ever come close to his ability to swim.

Kylo clearly has a natural ability to freeze, stop, and control matter to a greater degree than we've ever seen before.  His training is not complete.  He is not a Sith master.  Yet he can freeze blaster bolts in mid air.  He can overcome another's ability to move in the slightest.  He also seems to have a natural ability to probe minds.  In both these cases, his natural ability with only moderate training is greater than anything we've seen used before.

Rey knows about the Jedi.  She's dreamed about them for years.  She knows the stories, she's heard of their abilities, she's likely spent many hours of her childhood pretending to be a Jedi.  Her connection to the force gave her impressive combat abilities that she's been using all her life.  She's fought with a bo staff for years, and likely dreamed about using lightsabers as a kid.  Fighting with some sort of competance with a lightsaber against an injured, weakened, and not fully trained opponent is not outside the realm of possibility.  Beyond that, Kylo is showing a great ability to probe one's mind.  To take secrets from them, see what they saw, know what they knew, etc.  Why is it suddenly hard to believe that Rey couldn't do the same thing to some degree.  She knew about the force, knew about the Jedi, knew about what kind of powers they have and use.  She had a natural connection to the force, and was combat trained through the school of hard knocks on Jakku.  Kylo tries to probe her mind and her natural ability to resist coupled with her ability to reverse the process and glean some sort of knowledge allowing her to further awaken her powers is not really much of a stretch here.  If he can rip images from their memory so he can clearly see what they saw, why couldn't she pick up some basic saber skills the same way?

I predict we'll hear something about hearing something, friday.

Then we'll hear mostly about Legion at said hearing of things, with a minor tease regarding the SSD.

Then the SSD will suprise launch.

And we'll wait another 6 months before hearing about Clone Wars.

2 hours ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I was just tryin' to be informative and I don't think anyone is arguing, but point taken.

@ovinomanc3r @Norell @kmanweiss Let's keep it clear of this thread, PM if you wanna talk about it further though. 

Oh, I didn't want to argue about TFA. I actually like it. But calling the movie a version of, well, itself was fun. Made me think my stupid threads could be a true version, not only at the same level of others adaptations, even at the level of the adapted movie itself, lol

Just now, Ling27 said:

Star Wars Republic Commando will be free through Xbox Live Gold starting March 1 and running through the month. If you havent tried it yet its a good game. I'm going to pick it up and beat it again. Its one of my favorite games.

Jedi academy game this month, republic commando next....

It's a good time to be a star wars fan...

2 minutes ago, ISD Avenger said:

Legion is getting an exclusive Vader miniature for Star Wars celebration. Armada gets virtually nothing & the other games get one off uniques 😂. We really are the unwanted stepchild lol

Do we really WANT one off unique stuff though?

I mean, Chimaera was already pretty dividing in the “same model different paint” scheme of things.

Just now, Drasnighta said:

I mean, Chimaera was already pretty dividing in the “same model different paint” scheme of things.

Yeah, I'm on this boat. Self aggrandizing through limited stock is annoying enough when it's supposed to be standard. Super exclusive stuff does seem pretty **** to those of us too poor or too busy to go... 

1 hour ago, Darth Sanguis said:

the Alita movie did pretty darn good for a live action manga based movie. 

I enjoyed it but I've literally read none of the manga (or any manga for that matter) and only have a handful of anime that I enjoy. Could have done w/out the love story or the sports ball though. 

I really dont care about exlusive stuff etherway, but when a game has had no releases for over a year and you are sinking production into exlusives for other games.. I would be excited to hear about an Armada exclusive because it would send a sign that we have not forgotten about you.  I know that we have the SSD coming, but we need a new "Wave" announcement or something to keep the community from slowly erodeing, something to show that Armada has future support.

1 hour ago, dominosfleet said:

I enjoyed it but I've literally read none of the manga (or any manga for that matter) and only have a handful of anime that I enjoy. Could have done w/out the love story or the sports ball though. 

Well this is one of those things where I have to agree with the OP. 

The manga makes those two aspects make more sense. It may fall on deaf ears but, if you've never read a manga, I think is a great one to start with. It lacks a lot of that weeaboo Japanese crap that turns me off from 90% of anime/manga. 

I seriously recommend it.

Spoilers in the hidden comments if you're interested

The manga does a much better job of illustrating the brutality and disparity of the series.

In the books it's a post apocalyptic dystopia in the junkyard. Like, people getting murdered in the streets and no one bats an eye. Black markets for parts aren't for the cyborg parts, but the human bits, specifically, spines, as the tech in that universe hasn't been able to manufacture a synthetic one.  The big bad guy in the movie Grewishka is named Makaku in the books, and he strait rips heads off people and drinks brains to get high. He's the first big fight of the series. That's basically all of book one.

The second book she meets Hugo. The books help make the relationship a little less cringeworthy by giving it a sense of melancholy, she's blatantly into him, but he's too obsessed with zalem to even notice.  He does kill people in the books, though only if he needs to, and his end is much more gruesome when a bounty hunter that wan't in the movie finds him. Alita's relationship with Hugo is basically all of book two. (This is likely why the motorball part felt lame. The movie technically only covers the first 2 books but borrowed bits from the 3rd to add action) .

The 3rd book is where we see the dynamic change in the character. She tries to forget her pain by breaking away from Ido and joins the motorball league. In the books, it's not a sport... it's a blood sport. Murder is 100% expected on the track. Even the spectators aren't safe. That's actually where they picked up the "I will not stand by" line. During a race one of the other players intentionally breaks free of Alita's attack by crashing into the stands killing a ton of people. She stops dead in her tracks turns back and finishes him off for it. Needless to say, over the coarse of this book she gets hard. Like, doesn't back down, life or death. Like the movie the 3rd book ends with her challenging Jashugan for the championship... and it's intense. This is also where she first starts remembering her past. 

I won't summarize the rest more than to say, her actions from the first 2 books catch up with her, Zapan gets his revenge... blah blah blah... she eventually ends up as an agent for Zalem... where she earns the name "Angel of Death" she starts to get super freakin' kill happy, and lose her mind a little bit. 

sVdauhM.jpg

definitely the coolest chapters of the series.

TLDR:

The books have this bittersweet melancholy about them where we see this character go from an idealistic hero to a broken killing machine who wants to be happy but is forced to fight. Equal parts brutal and charming.

kqa6pb7.png

I'd definitely give it a read

Sorry Dras for hijacking again lol

Edited by Darth Sanguis

In regards to the Vader model: Cool, weird flex, but thats cool. I could either buy a 3d printed version of vader, or make my own fancy one. Legion doesnt care about the whole "must use model that came with box" thing in its comp rules...

Which is weird, because the models actually count in Legion. They dont count in Armada... but I have to use my 2 VSDs, and I cant put my Venator model on one to make it easier to tell which is which... because... sales reasons? I still need the cardboard, cards, ect. So I am still buying the models.

Whatever.

I'm not in charge.

The Vader model looks cool but it doesn't seem practical. Line of sight if a factor in legion. So Vader's height could mean the difference between hidden behind cover and or  dead , right ?

I wouldn't be mad if for Armada it was a sweet diorama. Maybe two ships and a couple of fighters duking it out. Be much cooler than just a reskinned ship

Edited by BlueSquadronPilot

8 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

I liked the Chimaera pack, but TBH i only had 1 ISD before that. 

10 hours ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Yeah, I'm on this boat. Self aggrandizing through limited stock is annoying enough when it's supposed to be standard. Super exclusive stuff does seem pretty **** to those of us too poor or too busy to go... 

or for those a continent away.

Seems to never be a factor in those discussions.