Drasnighta

Article Predictions. Mostly General Discussion. But there's definately some Predictions scattered throughout.

4 hours ago, Bakura83 said:

In FFG’s case, such as...

...?

Not saying you are wrong but what in particular are you thinking of?

I was told that asmodee is the reason ffg products went up in cost from online dealers.  You used to be able to get x wing and armada for a beck of a lot cheaper on coolstuff and sites like it.  

Just now, ninclouse2000 said:

I was told that asmodee is the reason ffg products went up in cost from online dealers.  You used to be able to get x wing and armada for a beck of a lot cheaper on coolstuff and sites like it.  

Yes.  This was part of a policy to encourage and support the Brick and Mortar store over and above the "online only, no overhead" retailer.

Which, in all honesty, has been part of FFG's policy for the longest time (their OP system is built around it), but weren't enforcing in any meaningful way.

So yes, technically.  More expensive for some retailers, because they lost their ability to deeply discount only (minimum price discount limits).  Rather than just simply raising prices.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, SoonerTed said:

Decreasing the discount to retailers is raising prices, because that cost gets passed on to the consumer.  It's nothing but PR blather by FFG/Asmodee for them to say they didn't raise prices.  Why you keep saying that FFG didn't raise prices is befuddling.  (The MSRP is NOT the price of an item.  The 'S' stands for "suggested".)  

And supporting the "Brick and Mortar sotre over the online store" is a another fabrication by Asmodee.  There have been multiple times when the North American distributor ships all of its product to Amazon, leaving the B&M store completely out of luck.  My local B&M store couldn't get many Legion because the distributor was shipping EVERYTHING to Amazon.

FFG & Asmodee raised prices by 20% (at least) to customers, then turned around and has been stiffing the B&M stores.

Also, let us not forget FFG/Asmodee saying that if you don't want to pay full MSRP they don't want you as a customer

Dude, I’m basically quoting FFG on it, no need to get personally directly hostile.

Experience varies from locale to locale, as do distributors in country to country. I know their consolidation to a single distributor in the US has been controversial Too - and in some ways, things were improved with distribution changes - Canada has had quite a different time of late compared to Lion Rampart - again, at least in my experience.

...I mean, how can I say prices didn’t rise?

They went down or stayed the same for me, and availability increased.

Not to say you can’t obviously say something different - but that’s my experience, and as you speak from yours, I speak from mine

absolutely no argument there 🙂

Edited by Drasnighta

Prices definitely skyrocketed in the US after the asmodee merger.  Possibly didn’t affect other countries in the same way.  It is what it is.  I still buy the product regardless because I love this game.  Just makes the company look greedy to me.  

Meanwhile, I have had the imperial naval commander's manual sitting back during the holiday because family was sleeping in my office. But work on that will kick back up.

I also have 2 minis coming in from Skull Forge Studios that I'll be using to put on my flagship card to make sure my opponent knows which one it is (as I typically put it on a duplicate ship). I have Old Luke, and Thrawn, but I'll be modding Thrawn to make him a generic imperial officer. Old Luke stands out enough, but I might replace his stick with a canteen and base my non-canon fleet commander off Barker from Titanfall.

Posted (edited)

Hey all!

So, I haven't played Armada in well over a year now, at least since before the MC75 and Chimaera came out.  I thought for sure I would have found something has changed, some product launched that I missed but I see it hasn't.  That's disappointing...

...anyway I plan to attend a Regional next weekend in Derry, NH.  Just curious what the current "meta" is, or has changed since I last played...but I'm getting the feeling that nothing really has? Seems like most of the posts I've seen are people expressing disappointment and/or frustration with FFG.  (While that may or may not have merit, I'm not really interested in that.)

Oh and it looks like @Clontroper5 came back? When did this happen? Wasn't he on missionary work in Africa or something?

Edited by Rocmistro

1 minute ago, Rocmistro said:

...anyway I plan to attend a Regional next weekend in Derry, NH.  Just curious what the current "meta" is, or has changed since I last played...but I'm getting the feeling that nothing really has? Seems like most of the posts I've seen are people expressing disappointment and/or frustration with FFG.  (While that may or may not have merit, I'm not really interested in that.)

Imperial 2 ship is a thing now (Avenger, Squall, Pryce, maxed out squadrons.)  Raddus is his own broad archetype you need to have a plan for.  Cymoons are legit under Vader, and they or the activation shenanigan officers might be why MSU is somewhat less common.  Sato seems to have drawn a little more interest with a medium fighter wing.  Squadronless fleets are a reasonable thing to do if you have a plan for carrier lists; small squadron screens are less common than they used to be.  The Raider 2 is a respectable artillery ship with Heavy Ion Emplacements, and so is the Interdictor.  Raid/Assault is generally trash, with a weird exception or two.

Anything I missed?

Posted (edited)

Rieekan yaravis aces still exists. Not as stupid OP it used to be, but still a very difficult archetype to beat when flown by a seasoned player.

Otherwise the overall game balance is great (with a few exceptions) and the meta IS STILL getting shaken around by new list types dispite being a year from last release.

Armada is in a great place, support by FFG is debatble as always, but the community is still strong.

Edited by Karneck

26 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

the activation shenanigan officers might be why MSU is somewhat less common. 

27 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

small squadron screens are less common than they used to be

And here I am running MSU with a token fighter screen.

*scrolls frantically through e-mail*

When did that memo go out? Should I be part of some mailing list somewhere?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Jabbawookie said:

Imperial 2 ship is a thing now (Avenger, Squall, Pryce, maxed out squadrons.)  Raddus is his own broad archetype you need to have a plan for.  Cymoons are legit under Vader, and they or the activation shenanigan officers might be why MSU is somewhat less common.  Sato seems to have drawn a little more interest with a medium fighter wing.  Squadronless fleets are a reasonable thing to do if you have a plan for carrier lists; small squadron screens are less common than they used to be.  The Raider 2 is a respectable artillery ship with Heavy Ion Emplacements, and so is the Interdictor.  Raid/Assault is generally trash, with a weird exception or two.

Anything I missed?

So a typical list I used to run would be a couple heavy duty torpedo shrimps, and then something like a pair of GR75s or a GR75+TLCR90 and 4-6 squadrons. Usually ran dodonna or mothma.  Is that kind of list no longer viable?  Double ISD's don't really scare me though I'd have to take a hard look at Raddus to see what he can do, as I've never played against him before.

What makes Cymoon "legit"? Is it the 5 red front arc or the Fleet Upgrade slot?

Edited by Rocmistro

7 minutes ago, Rocmistro said:

So a typical list I used to run would be a couple heavy duty torpedo shrimps, and then something like a pair of GR75s or a GR75+TLCR90 and 4-6 squadrons. Usually ran dodonna or mothma.  Is that kind of list no longer viable?  Double ISD's don't really scare me though I'd have to take a hard look at Raddus to see what he can do, as I've never played against him before.

It's still viable.  Honestly pretty much any archetype is right now, which is great.  I wasn't making a value judgement about whether MSU or screens are "good" or "bad," just that they're not as common in my experience and there are challenges they need to deal with.

3 hours ago, CptAwesomer said:

And here I am running MSU with a token fighter screen.

When did that memo go out? Should I be part of some mailing list somewhere?

No memo. We meet at the bar after work. There's dozens of us! Dozens!

So finally starting to get caught back up on the new card and ships that I've never played with.

Every other thread seems to be a hate-on for FFG so I'll ask this here:

Is Strategic Advisor pretty much an auto-include (for any list that can take large ships), is there any reason they wouldn't?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Rocmistro said:

So finally starting to get caught back up on the new card and ships that I've never played with.

Every other thread seems to be a hate-on for FFG so I'll ask this here:

Is Strategic Advisor pretty much an auto-include (for any list that can take large ships), is there any reason they wouldn't?

Activation number isn’t everything 

Theres a certain quality of activation - which is shown by the usage of Pryce in 2-ship fleets.

Because if SAs requirement of “the ship has to be able to activate” meansbtou get 1-2 uses of it, and then your big ship is activating early for its own survival usually

And on both sides of the line - that Officer slot is HOTLY contested 😁

Edited by Drasnighta

37 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Activation number isn’t everything 

Theres a certain quality of activation - which is shown by the usage of Pryce in 2-ship fleets.

Because if SAs requirement of “the ship has to be able to activate” meansbtou get 1-2 uses of it, and then your big ship is activating early for its own survival usually

And on both sides of the line - that Officer slot is HOTLY contested 😁

i will say it is one of the Best cards right now though and you need a good reason to not be taking it (Pryce 2 ship for example.)

Ugh. I was curious if there was any update on the SSD's timeline so i checked the upcoming page and next to it I saw "General Grevious Starter set" and my heart skipped a beat. Now I have NO interest in Legion as a base but there is a soft spot in my cold heart for the CIS (Loved necromancers as a D&D'er and robots are the Scifi version of that) and so I've vaguely humored the idea of glancing at the faction and, at very least, picking up the grevious model when it comes out. My heart sank just as quickly when i saw that it was destiny, ah well. 

No update on the SSD though.