Drasnighta

Article Predictions. Mostly General Discussion. But there's definately some Predictions scattered throughout.

On 11/16/2018 at 10:23 AM, Darth Sanguis said:

I actually feel similar. I bought into Legion, running nothing but Empire.... but if Jyn is gonna be a thing.... crap... I MAY have to dive in 100% and buy rebels too... which makes the eventual clone wars expansions even more daunting seeing as I plan on buying in HEAVILY.... **** move FFG 

We basically confirmed that the empire will Recieve Director Krennic and Death troopers (YAY!) Shortly after Jyn+ pathfinders come out

Well, here’s Monday.  Time to cross those fingers and hope for an article.  I’ll accept anything Star Wars related this week that involves miniatures - the Jyn expansion caught me off guard, and it’s always mildly interesting to see where IA and x-Wing are going.

54 minutes ago, Bakura83 said:

Well, here’s Monday.  Time to cross those fingers and hope for an article.  I’ll accept anything Star Wars related this week that involves miniatures - the Jyn expansion caught me off guard, and it’s always mildly interesting to see where IA and x-Wing are going.

We got Deadly Speed (RZ-2) last Monday.

Exiting as that may have been - really looking forward to more info on the Clone Wars.

Running Anakin + Obi-Wan against a horde of droids?

Almost makes me want to play a custom format!!!

Clone Wars in Armada would be cool! And from what I understand, transition to X-wing 2.0 is a success? I mean as long as you can still use all your models and you get rules polished it is win/win scenario, isn't it?

EDIT: not that I think we need 2.0. But I'm not against it if it is done properly, at the right time and addresses game's biggest issues.

Edited by noggin

2 minutes ago, noggin said:

Clone Wars in Armada would be cool! And from what I understand, transition to X-wing 2.0 is a success? I mean as long as you can still use all your models and you get rules polished it is win/win scenario, isn't it?

2.0 is a great success (IMO).

Everything you have can be reused - from the get-go.

Rules have been tweaked for the better.

Same with ships/pilots.

"Living" points costs and active errata/FAQ ain't half bad either.

So yeah, what's not to like?

I could even live with Sequel era factions - if they can scrounge up an acceptable number of ships (over time I'm guessing comics, books etc - which I'm not into - would go a long way).

Edited by Green Knight

36 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

Speaking of Clone Wars:

After the SSD, is maybe Armada "finished"?

And if so (note the "if so"), could we get Armada 2.0 with additional factions?

That would be really exiting.

The only reason i don’t think the SSD was at least initially designed as an “epilogue” for Armada is that it has features which have been compared to other “Huge” vessels, and obviously we don’t know of any others at the moment.  Armada is in a happy place at the moment in my opinion, not where x-Wing was 6-12 months ago.  If they do end up launching a 2.0 that will probably be a personal epilogue for me, depending on how they handle the transition.

So in short, cloudy the future is.

57 minutes ago, Bakura83 said:

The only reason i don’t think the SSD was at least initially designed as an “epilogue” for Armada is that it has features which have been compared to other “Huge” vessels, and obviously we don’t know of any others at the moment.  Armada is in a happy place at the moment in my opinion, not where x-Wing was 6-12 months ago.  If they do end up launching a 2.0 that will probably be a personal epilogue for me, depending on how they handle the transition.

So in short, cloudy the future is.

The SSD was initially designed to be released along with CC.

Maybe I played too much armada, but IMO the game is stale. I had some fun with Thrawn 2-ship, but it's the same old ISD 2 Avenger and squads mix that I use to screw people over with.

1 hour ago, Green Knight said:

The SSD was initially designed to be released along with CC.

Not quite.

Scuttkebutt has it in progress much longer than that.

Even if we dismiss rumour and look at product coding:

SWM20.

Which means it’s release slot was after Flotillas but before Squad-2 packs.

CC is SWM 25 as a comparison.

So from that, it was designed to be done long before that - doubly so since Interdictor and Liberty are contemporary with Flotillas and we’re part of that whole delay mixup and such...  it’s conceivabke that the SSD was all in with that if not before it too.

So I’d say definitely older than CC by a margin 🙂

7 hours ago, Bakura83 said:

IA and Armada are going places? That's certainly news.

6 hours ago, Green Knight said:

Speaking of Clone Wars:

After the SSD, is maybe Armada "finished"?

And if so (note the "if so"), could we get Armada 2.0 with additional factions?

That would be really exiting.

Hush!! None of that.

1 hour ago, TallGiraffe said:

I agree. I am not sure how to fix it myself. The squadron portion is almost it's own game. 

We can start by asking what is broken about the squadron game that needs fixing?

ya know, one thing I don't like about Armada is how it's often black and white in the squadrons department. It's either "go full squads" or "go zero squads". I'd rather have a rule that forces everyone to use both squads and ships, although games still need to be quick and interesting.

Edited by Sybreed

10 minutes ago, Sybreed said:

ya know, one thing I don't like about Armada is how it's often black and white in the squadrons department. It's either "go full squads" or "go zero squads". I'd rather have a rule that forces everyone to use both squads and ships, although games still need to be quick and interesting.

I have been experimenting with fleets that utilize a moderate amount of squadrons, and I do wish there were more tools to make something of a “balanced” fleet like we see in the movies.

8 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

Tedious, long, full of bubbles.

For the long and full of bubbles my solution to that is to tell my opponent what my intentions are "I want to...."  not only does that speed up the game but you and your opponent agree on a placement in witch you can accomplish what you want to, I can play with a heavy squadron against a heavy squadron fleet and still finish in about an hour and a half.  As far as tedious goes if you mean "too long, slow, or dull: tiresome or monotonous"  we talked about one way to speed it up the squadron game by making your intentions clear, as far a dull goes I think the bubbles you talk about make for some very interesting choices not only in the squadron game but how the ships move across the table as your squadron pushers want to be able to stay close to push your squadrons, but you don't want to overlap squadrons as you will break up key fighter engagements that are helping keep fighters off your capital ships. To call the fighter game monotonous I personally find the initial fighter engagement very interesting, as it can dictate the outcome of the game. Its possible that by tedious you meant fiddly and with that I agree, squadrons can be a pain when using the maneuver tool, and if you do over lap squadrons it can be a pain a long with other circumstances that can arise with them, but we are playing a tabletop miniature game, and I have almost never played a miniatures game that was not a least a little fiddly its just part of the beast and the few I have played that where not fiddly where played on a grid, and even then it was still at some times fiddly,  could this aspect be improved sure, but its more a quality of life change then fixing something that is broken. I do think that the squadron game could use a little update, like if a squadron attacks a ship while it is engaged one fighter that it is engaged with may make a free attack against that fighter, or something along thoughts lines.    I would have stopped playing armada long ago if it did not have squadrons its the working together of both ships and squadrons that keeps me coming back to play again and again.  So I guess I personally don't see thoughts things that you mentioned as things that are broken and need fixing.

2 hours ago, ISD Avenger said:

I don’t mind squadrons. It can be a bit tedious sometimes but it’s not a huge deal.

What is bubbles by the way?

Distance 1 from SquadA but out of distance of of SquadB. But stay in distance 3 of Toryn far, distance 5 of BBC, close-medium of FCT, etc