Drasnighta

Article Predictions. Mostly General Discussion. But there's definately some Predictions scattered throughout.

24 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

**** straight. Legion already has a new wave announced and it was just released :P 

Where is your wave hate? I'm sure Armada will get an article after wave 4 of Legion.

Just remember...

As you are now, so once was Armada.

As Armada is now, so Legion will be;

17 minutes ago, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

Just remember...

Really?  I don't think Legion in 4 years will be as strong as Armada is now...

But I do love the reference.

I am rooting for Legion, I hope it does well, just not at the cost of Armada.

22 minutes ago, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

Just remember...

I think there's something to that. I do think that their business model is to create a new game and produce it up to a certain point where they recognize that they're not making the level of profit from it that they would like. Then they shift their developers over to a new game, and let the old game slowly peter out. Some games they put more investment into than others.

It seems to me that X-Wing was really the golden goose, but that goose is pretty dam old right now, and it's hard to keep putting more make-up on it to make it look young. However, because it has a large player base (by virtue of it being their first Star Wars mini game), FFG will keep servicing it as long as they feel the profits remain worth it.

Once X-Wing was at its peak, they brought out Imperial Assault, closely followed by Armada. Unless I am mistaken, they put greater investment into Imperial Assault, which meant that it hit the shelves sooner and received more expansions. Armada, however, proved to be more popular after about one year, and they seem to be letting Imperial Assault coast to a sooner death than they're letting Armada do. However, I do think they've lost interest in both Imperial Assault and Armada. Armada may not be dead, but I don't think that they are going to be making it a focus for much more enthusiastic development.

With Legion, they clearly seem to be 'all in', since they figure 'go big or go home' by being a closer competitor to WH40K.  I also think that this enthusiasm of theirs will bring some people over from X-Wing, Armada, and especially Imperial Assault. The amount of people who remain with those games will determine how many more expansions FFG will seek to invest in those. Still, I think it will be their B- C- and D-teams who do that development, while Legion will get their A-Team developing it. (Question: Is Alex Davy Hannibal or Face?)

6 minutes ago, Mikael Hasselstein said:

I think there's something to that. I do think that their business model is to create a new game and produce it up to a certain point where they recognize that they're not making the level of profit from it that they would like. Then they shift their developers over to a new game, and let the old game slowly peter out. Some games they put more investment into than others.

It seems to me that X-Wing was really the golden goose, but that goose is pretty dam old right now, and it's hard to keep putting more make-up on it to make it look young. However, because it has a large player base (by virtue of it being their first Star Wars mini game), FFG will keep servicing it as long as they feel the profits remain worth it.

Once X-Wing was at its peak, they brought out Imperial Assault, closely followed by Armada. Unless I am mistaken, they put greater investment into Imperial Assault, which meant that it hit the shelves sooner and received more expansions. Armada, however, proved to be more popular after about one year, and they seem to be letting Imperial Assault coast to a sooner death than they're letting Armada do. However, I do think they've lost interest in both Imperial Assault and Armada. Armada may not be dead, but I don't think that they are going to be making it a focus for much more enthusiastic development.

With Legion, they clearly seem to be 'all in', since they figure 'go big or go home' by being a closer competitor to WH40K.  I also think that this enthusiasm of theirs will bring some people over from X-Wing, Armada, and especially Imperial Assault. The amount of people who remain with those games will determine how many more expansions FFG will seek to invest in those. Still, I think it will be their B- C- and D-teams who do that development, while Legion will get their A-Team developing it. (Question: Is Alex Davy Hannibal or Face?)

Exactly. It is Legion’s day in the sun. X-Wing, IA, and Armada have all seen that light fade. Within 4 years Legion too will see its spot taken by the new hotness and join the rest of Systems that are no longer prominent. 

This is a lot of buzzards circling overhead for X-Wing and Armada considering the former had a new wave announced two months ago and the latter had a new wave released two months ago.

I swear half the people who play this game enjoy pronouncing its death.

Edited by svelok

I certainly hope they don't just let Armada die slowly, like Dust tactics or something.  And I think we are a long way from that.  But for all the hate against GW (which I do hate as well), at least they keep the same universe/game through many decades and editions.*  I hope X-wing/Armada can survive like that.

*with the huge exception of literally blowing up my beloved Oldworld in the End Times after many of us had invested 1000s of dollars after 20+ years of existence.

1 minute ago, Tiberius the Killer said:

*with the huge exception of literally blowing up my beloved Oldworld in the End Times after many of us had invested 1000s of dollars after 20+ years of existence.

Yes it's terrible they did that and AoS still looks like **** but man, I love those end times books. I WISH GW would do something like that every decade in 40k and just shake things up like crazy. I'd love to see the galaxy more broken into segments. It would be AMAZING if they used those events to kill major characters and allowed new characters to rise. Imagine the fall of Abaddon(who i do like) and had more minor chaos leaders rise like Honsou. I'm in the minority for liking what they did with Guilliman

I actually never played Fantasy but I went out of my way to pick up those hardcover rulebooks the past 4 or 5 months. 

9 minutes ago, svelok said:

This is a lot of buzzards circling overhead for X-Wing and Armada considering the former had a new wave announced two months ago and the latter had a new wave released two months ago.

Most is in jest.  Actually, I'm truly hoping that the crossover from the influx of Legion will actually help Armada in the end.

18 minutes ago, svelok said:

This is true. But let's face it, nothing lasts forever. These games, too, shall pass.

I guess what we might define is the character of a game's senior years. For X-Wing, it seems like they're failing at trying not to power creep. In Armada, they really gave us the bare minimum this last wave. Now, I do think that the 'something big' will be the SSD, but while I look forward to having the model, I just don't imagine it will be that much fun to play with.

Now, I must also say, that I'm going through a depressive stage in life, which may make the glass seem half empty. So take the above for what it's worth.

7 minutes ago, CaribbeanNinja said:

Most is in jest.  Actually, I'm truly hoping that the crossover from the influx of with gameplay Legion in a Correllian Conflict campaign will actually help Armada in the end.

FTFY.

That would be cool!
I don't think they'll do it.

Edited by Mikael Hasselstein

7 minutes ago, dominosfleet said:

Yes it's terrible they did that and AoS still looks like **** but man, I love those end times books. I WISH GW would do something like that every decade in 40k and just shake things up like crazy. I'd love to see the galaxy more broken into segments. It would be AMAZING if they used those events to kill major characters and allowed new characters to rise. Imagine the fall of Abaddon(who i do like) and had more minor chaos leaders rise like Honsou. I'm in the minority for liking what they did with Guilliman

I actually never played Fantasy but I went out of my way to pick up those hardcover rulebooks the past 4 or 5 months. 

I was totally fine with some big shake ups.  But killing off most Races and rebranding them, and doing reset that hard was too much.  Not only is it a totally different game (which I'm fine with them changing), they also remade the universe.  And I think they remade it to be lesser.

It will be pretty hard to FFG to keep armada going for 20 years, but dang I hope they can.  Even if it means doing prequel/sequel stuff.

Armada's "failing" I think is the fact that most mini gamers hunger for the plethora (like they're pumping out for Legion).  

I think the bonus is Armada will be a great, pretty balanced game at the end of its life.  I think we see the issue with X-Wing and expansions, but these expansions have helped it thrive.

Hopefully with Legion, they balance the constant need for minis, and gameplay.  If they do that, Legion will crush it.

Armada will always have a great place in my heart, and will probably never have more than a couple of ships per Wave.

3 minutes ago, Mikael Hasselstein said:

This is true. But let's face it, nothing lasts forever. These games, too, shall pass.

I guess what we might define is the character of a game's senior years. For X-Wing, it seems like they're failing at trying not to power creep. In Armada, they really gave us the bare minimum this last wave. Now, I do think that the 'something big' will be the SSD, but while I look forward to having the model, I just don't imagine it will be that much fun to play with.

Now, I must also say, that I'm going through a depressive stage in life, which may make the glass seem half empty. So take the above for what it's worth.

Wave 7 was more substantial than bare minimum. It was a pretty great wave.

I believe FFG has done a good job maintaining the balance of Armada, and it could easily see another 4 years worth of expansions. 

Eventually it will end, but hopefully by then we will have a 2nd edition on the horizon. 

7 minutes ago, Mikael Hasselstein said:
12 minutes ago, CaribbeanNinja said:

Most is in jest.  Actually, I'm truly hoping that the crossover from the influx of with gameplay Legion in a Correllian Conflict campaign will actually help Armada in the end.

FTFY.

That would be cool!
I don't think they'll do it.

Yeah that would be cool, but I just mean the fact that Legion and Armada are different games that scratch different itches.  I think the more mini gamers you have in a group, the more chances you have for them to try and pick up new games.

For example, last night while seeing the Legion demo, I saw the healthy group of Xwing players doing their thing.  I told my son that we should grab a few of our favorite ships (Falcon for him) and just play casual.  I have never had the desire to play X-Wing before.

2 minutes ago, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

Is X-Wing is ready for a 2E? I know people were mumbling about it when I left after Wave 10. I just wonder if that sentiment has picked up considering the steady stream of grounching I’ve heard from the latest waves. 

I would kill for a 2E of x-wing, and it would be even better if they stole the heroes of the whatever cluster in the process for a decent campaign style

12 minutes ago, Mikael Hasselstein said:

In Armada, they really gave us the bare minimum this last wave.

Wave 7 was the big ship expansion with many buffs to the slower ship size.

It also gave us Thrawn, who is kinda part of a bundle pack with the Chimaera, so we had to get a reissue of an ISD.

Once the Legion hype train has departed and we're clear of the release season, the other games will probably get some more stuff, even IA going by FFG's tournament article.

1 hour ago, ninclouse2000 said:

Legion is pretty spectacular.  I got to play a small game last night and it was awesome.  I really think Legion is going to be ffg’s best game. Give it about 2 years and it will surpass x-wing. 

It is fun, but won't catch me for tourney play. Way too much fuzziness in the terrain rule, and matches will be as long as Armada, so I'll stick to Armada for tourneys. Plus, dragging my terrain all over the place will get old. Legion will be great in my gameroom!

19 minutes ago, CaribbeanNinja said:

I think the bonus is Armada will be a great, pretty balanced game at the end of its life.  I think we see the issue with X-Wing and expansions, but these expansions have helped it thrive.

QFT. Armada feels like a much better balanced game than X-wing, and I'd rather have fewer, better balanced ships than more and power-creeped ones like X-wing has.