Drasnighta

Article Predictions. Mostly General Discussion. But there's definately some Predictions scattered throughout.

30 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

It would be interesting to know what percentage of Corellian Conflict campaigns actually got to the ALL OUT ASSAULT part?  My guess would be very few, because:
(1) The group may have quit before then, for reasons
(2) It was a blow-out and the trailing team wasn't close enough to actually launch the AOA before the other team won
(3) The group couldn't schedule such a game due to practical constraints

So our sample size is probably going to be very small, but then it would be nice to know, of those groups that actually played an AOA mega-battle, what percentage of them walked away thinking "Boy, that was a satisfying experience well worth my entire evening!"  Maybe most players like this sort of thing?  I'd be surprised, though

I don't think using CC's AOA is the best way to determine whether players enjoy "mega battles"

Strictly speaking from my experiences with CC, between scheduling, the win dependence for fleet building, restrictions with veterans and repairs, and the snowball effect of losses... it's just not going to be the same experience as planning a 1 day event for a 2v2 or 3v3 team battle at 800 or 1200 points using the the team play rules outlined in the RRG (and now expanded upon). 

Unfortunately, because team play was so generic before and the rules have just been released, you're probably not going to have even a fraction of the sample size. 

That said, I can name players in our local group that always volunteered for "monster truck" nights (which were essentially 600-800-1200 point battles with house rules basically the same as the new rules). 

Edited by Darth Sanguis

A side note, legion has been out for a little less then a year....and has 8 more skus than armada.  At this rate they will have over 60 different items to purchase by the close of 2019. 

I've played multiple Apoc games over the years, other grand battles of different systems, ect. I've found that if the point of the Apoc game is 'put models on the table and volly fire for 5 hours' it tends to be boring. If there is some sort of story, or objective (Helms Deep style game, D-Day assaults, ect.) That the a league has been leading up to, then you've got a bit of a more enjoyable game.

Example: We did a sorta Planetary Empires campaign once, there were four sides. Chaos+Orcs, Eldar+Tau, Imperium of Man, NIDS. The league was a build up league with players gaining access to more points based on objectives. The APOC game ended with the Eldar-Tau team and Imperium joining forces to defend a hive city to prevent chaos from using a warp gate into the city on the pole, while the imperium tried to hold off the Nid assault on the hive city while evacuating citizens and importent leadership.

We'd been building this story for months, and this was it. And that 8 hour apoc game, was glorious.

You can build one off stories for an Armada mega-battle, or do individual battles for a campaign of linked movie battles. Example: Hoth.

Event 1: Legion. Rebel players attempt to hold off an empire assault on Hoth while the base is evacuated. Each turn a pair of floatillias is evacuated for the follow up event.

Event 2: Armada, Flight from Hoth. Rebel players need to break past the empire and escape with their troop transports that escaped Hoth. (Blockade run, each rebel player has an extra 2 floatillas that need to get to the evac zone. If a ship reachs the short edge of the empire deployment, they go to hyperspace)

Event 3: Legion/Armada Siege of the Kuat Driveyards... you get the picture.

My gaming group often has 3-4 people playing every Friday night. We play all sort of things; Armada isn't played super often when the whole group is together. We usually play Armada outside of our regular game night (ie "No football game Sunday, wanna play Armada at the shop?") Otherwise, Armada gets played when its a 2-player Friday or if we can't decide what 4-player game to play and split into two 2-player games.

But 3 of us have 400-point fleets rattling around in our phones and our online fleet builders. The chances of a 2 vs 1 game of Armada (2x400 against 2x400) just jumped. And if we have 4 people show up, the chances of getting the 4th player to join in is high. Everyone in our group has played the game, but only 3 of us have jumped into collecting fleets.  None of us are thinking, "Gosh! How will we ever finish in an evening!" or "That's too tedious to be fun!"

800 vs 800 looks completely doable.

Edited by RobertK

2 hours ago, ripper998 said:

Oh look, a legion expansion.  Who woulda guessed 

1 hour ago, ISD Avenger said:

At this point it’s like they are just doing it just to wind us up 😆

part of me lol'd a bit that not only did they get the at-st expansion but ffg released a broken version of it as terrain before we got a new release. 

8 minutes ago, dominosfleet said:

part of me lol'd a bit that not only did they get the at-st expansion but ffg released a broken version of it as terrain before we got a new release. 

To be fair, 3 out of the 5 people I know that play legion (myself included) have talked about breaking down an ATST model for terrain. I'm actually pretty happy about it, especially since it appears to have multi stage condition objective and deploy cards. Implies a campaign. I'm pretty excited for it. 

I have to defend FFG here, I think it is indeed a sensible move to release some terrain. People make their own terrains but why not milk those who can't or don't have the time. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't do it sooner and for games like X-Wing and Armada as well. In fact I would be perfectly happy if Wave 8 would be a single Rebel ships and some models to replace obstacles.

Wooot! I totally hyped myself about that :D Hear me out FFG! I want terrain models for obstacles and I forgive you for the hiatus of new releases! \o/

2 hours ago, Darth Sanguis said:
2 hours ago, ripper998 said:

A side note, legion has been out for a little less then a year....and has 8 more skus than armada.  At this rate they will have over 60 different items to purchase by the close of 2019. 

#BankruptMe2020 ?

I'm convinced that despite the success of Xwing, FFG has probably decided that their concept of "own everything" miniature and card games has been a failure.  Even most historical games release more plastic than any average player will ever buy, so being able to own everything is abnormal.  Combined with the unreliable and sparse release schedule, even an Armada "whale" customer isn't worth much of anything to a store.  This problem has been reflected across multiple of FFG's lines.  To be successful, a game needs to give the "whales" something to spend money on, while still being accessible to the "casuals", additionally giving the "casuals" something to aspire to.

It could be that the original idea was that during the dearth of content in one game, say the Star Wars LCG for example, players were supposed to get attracted to other FFG titles that just had content release, like xwing.  In practice, I think the players just left the game when they got bored.  At least I hope that was the idea, otherwise FFG has crashed and burned multiple titles due to lack of content and not adjusted anything.

8 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Yeah, really, the "Value Add" here for a lot of people are those Cards, not the terrain itself.

For $50 I sure hope those cards are worth it. You'd think they'd drop the price down to at least $40 for a big hunk of terrain and some cards.

Because I can get the almost the same effect as that terrain piece if I accidentally knock over my friend's Legion AT-ST while it's on the board and save him $50.

Just now, Derpzilla88 said:

For $50 I sure hope those cards are worth it. You'd think they'd drop the price down to at least $40 for a big hunk of terrain and some cards.

Because I can get the almost the same effect as that terrain piece if I accidentally knock over my friend's Legion AT-ST while it's on the board and save him $50.

Absolutely.  The main discussion point over there at eh moment is to wther its even easily workable in standard play as anything other than an objective...  Because the cards all seem to be related to a 2-act "Campaign".

17 minutes ago, Derpzilla88 said:

I don't know, I think the terrain is pretty valuable too. I have a spare AT-ST that I was gonna convert to terrain and considering how much work it is to make a piece like the one they're giving, yeah, it's worth it to me. My god, all I have to do is paint this piece... that's 100x easier than taking a kit apart to design your own. I'm still using a whole hasbro AT AT because of how daunting tearing it up to make my own terrain is. 

1 hour ago, ISD Avenger said:

Some Armada ‘terrain’ would not be unwelcome. Space station, asteroids, cargo etc etc.

Heellloooo? FFG? 

I understand people wanting this but I'll take 2d terrain any day over 3d, I've never been a fan of having to move things out of the way for the game. Lol to the point where I'd almost prefer the station / asteroids / debris to be built into maps. 

Man I’m not going to lie, the state of Armada is increasingly depressing. 

I don’t mind the long waits between waves. What I cannot stand is the horrific communication from FFG. 

Let us know what’s in store. Tease us. Give us roadmaps and either stick to them or inform us when they change.

If you want to see great communication with fans look at Star Trek Online, Star Wars Battlefront 2 or Firaxis in general. 

At a certain point the dearth of communication goes beyond to an unqcceptable extreme. 

~

(Sorry for the negativity. I haven’t been on here for a long time and came back expecting at least something new from FFG.) 

Edited by Forresto

30 minutes ago, dominosfleet said:

I understand people wanting this but I'll take 2d terrain any day over 3d, I've never been a fan of having to move things out of the way for the game. Lol to the point where I'd almost prefer the station / asteroids / debris to be built into maps. 

The cardboard bases are too thick - it makes the ships wobble and interferes with the man tool.

Terrain should printed on paper think plastic.

12 minutes ago, LTD said:

The cardboard bases are too thick - it makes the ships wobble and interferes with the man tool.

Terrain should printed on paper think plastic.

muse on mini's did some great stuff on mouse pad for warmachine, i think if they'd just done the terrain in mouse pad instead of cardboard it would have been fine, no wobble.