Sign in to follow this  
JA_42

Imperial totally disapointing against rebels

I know that's an old subject, but without any solution :(

we're in the Hoth Campaign with the 3 hoth heroes and Fenn... I'm playing imperial with one of the two decks (poor decks, my point of view)...

Since 2 scenarios, I'm totally unavailable to stop of even slow down heroes... we still have 3 missions (a side, 2 story), but seems no sense to play it

our last, side threat mission, was the one on tatooine with fire... they finish 4th rounds :/

each turn, Stormtrooper burn something, but nothing can resist to the heroes’ fire capabilities :)

mean, 5 per round (even 6) , I put some stormtrooper... even without Fenn (and his passion for blast), probably I can't shot with anyone, or just with one

If I don't spend each turn, they are free one turn, and the next I pop red guard, that can't resist (only 10pv) very long...

By the way, after 6xp (and weapons tier II), we can't stop rebels

Even with twice threat level to begin, Leia (for free) is better...

And without any amazing deployment each turn, I can't Imaging stop Rebels...

Only solution, a limited round mission, and very long map, with many interact... but seems poor

COULD YOU redesign your (future) campaign (maybe 2-6 pts/round is not enough... 2-9 ?) and/or introduce via FAQ a change?

next side mission, threat mission on cloud city, just no sense to play

last line, funny, but impossible (even for tank and atst) to resist

last one, come one :( they would finish in 5 round, 6 if they're coward.

Your experience is precisely the opposite of ours - the Rebels can't seem to buy a win. Of course, we're playing the core set and not Hoth, so maybe it is worse for the Imperials on Hoth?

We just completed the second side mission, and the Rebels have won every mission till now.   Diala, Loku, Saska and Verena.  Quite the combo (Verena takes full advantage of the gadgets and recon tokens).   But Return to Echo Base is next, and I'm really hoping to hammer them!  :D

In our experience, the Imperial player has more wins than rebels. Rebels have sometimes made blunders in terms of choosing heroes with less than ideal character synergy but even besides that, the Imperial player has been strong.

I think the keypoint for the Imperial's success is to choose the right type of deployment cards, play for the objective and not overly deploy. Royal Guards and Trandoshans can be effective in almost any sort of setup. The elite royal guards in the new Bespin campaign was especially nasty since they got the upgrade to stay constantly hidden and another that required result of range 1 even in melee to hit them. In essence, they were immortal. Blocking objectives, calculating how far the heroes can get etc. is all important for the Imperial.

Also, kill off the rebels with white die first. We've found that they're rather squishy. Sure they can do a full evade but it's only 1/6 and black die reduces often damage more. When you fully defeat a rebel, they have one less activation each round and that makes a huge difference. It might not be fun for the player who plays that rebel but if you play to win, then removing rebel activations is really effective.

Playing imperial and rebel is very different. Rebels are more about texting and clever on the spot decisions. The imperial is more about advanced planning. If you are the imperial always look over the mission before you play. Give yourself a few days to think about what you can do and how to do it. If the heroes have to take out a figure, then don't just stand there and fight. Make them have to run around the map and through you other forces to hit him at all.

Edited by lowercaseM

we're in the Hoth Campaign with the 3 hoth heroes and Fenn... I'm playing imperial with one of the two decks (poor decks, my point of view)...

Since 2 scenarios, I'm totally unavailable to stop of even slow down heroes... we still have 3 missions (a side, 2 story), but seems no sense to play it

our last, side threat mission, was the one on tatooine with fire... they finish 4th rounds :/

each turn, Stormtrooper burn something, but nothing can resist to the heroes’ fire capabilities :)

mean, 5 per round (even 6) , I put some stormtrooper... even without Fenn (and his passion for blast), probably I can't shot with anyone, or just with one

If I don't spend each turn, they are free one turn, and the next I pop red guard, that can't resist (only 10pv) very long...

Only solution, a limited round mission, and very long map, with many interact... but seems poor

COULD YOU redesign your (future) campaign (maybe 2-6 pts/round is not enough... 2-9 ?) and/or introduce via FAQ a change?

I can't even conceive of what you are saying.  I mean I can see Rebels winning, but I can't see them wiping the floor with Imps on a regular basis.  I'd have to watch you play. Are you saving threat for an AT-ST or Darth Vader? Are you clumping up Imperial units?  Are you firing and moving, or not, as the case may be?

As far as campaigns, I've only played twin shadows, but the imps simply crushed the rebels. The missions varied from overwhelming defeat for the Rebs to the Rebs getting demolished so badly that by the second round there didn't seem to be a reason to continue.

I can't even conceive of what you are saying.  I mean I can see Rebels winning, but I can't see them wiping the floor with Imps on a regular basis.  I'd have to watch you play. Are you saving threat for an AT-ST or Darth Vader? Are you clumping up Imperial units?  Are you firing and moving, or not, as the case may be?

An AT-ST or Bantha, ... stay only 1 round, or maybe (with luck), 1 and half round... :(

By the way, Fenn is totaly crazy, cause he can kill any new deployement in one turn, alone (2 mvt for free, than if necessary 2 more with strain, 2 attacks with blast 3!!! pretty unstoppable!)

but maybe it's "just" about the side (threat) missions, when Rebels are fully equip and skill... I'll see about the last 2 story missions... "the last line", maybe... the last mission, can"t imagine they loose, honestly

An AT-ST or Bantha, ... stay only 1 round, or maybe (with luck), 1 and half round... :(

By the way, Fenn is totaly crazy, cause he can kill any new deployement in one turn, alone (2 mvt for free, than if necessary 2 more with strain, 2 attacks with blast 3!!! pretty unstoppable!)

but maybe it's "just" about the side (threat) missions, when Rebels are fully equip and skill... I'll see about the last 2 story missions... "the last line", maybe... the last mission, can"t imagine they loose, honestly

Well that is kind of my point.  Some people save up all their threat and they allow the Rebels to do too much unchecked damage.  I was just making sure you weren't doing that.