Sign in to follow this  
John Constantine

An Unlikely Friendship

I wonder, though, if you can in a Saga Adventure use A Good Harvest to declare for Fellowship resources to pay the cost for a non-Fellowship card that needs Fellowship resources (such as Overcome By Fear).

Action: Name a sphere. Until the end of the phase, you can spend resources of any sphere when paying for cards that belong to the named sphere.

You aren't paying for a card that belongs to that sphere, so no.

=(

I guess it would allow me to play Fellowship cards, though.

Edheliad said, "Based on the art I won't be buying this pack."

I mean art's really important to me too and these aren't my favorite for these characters but that's pretty extreme!

I like their abilities. Gimli's is obviously better without Legolas but I like putting LoV on Legolas with his knives. Anything that gets LoV off Glorfindel!

That's one way to read it, and people who automatically buy every pack are welcome to do so.

I own probably half the expansions and to be honest that's enough. I've got plenty of quests to play through, so anything new has to be worth it. Based on the art alone, with no other considerations or judgements, this pack falls short for me (and I have bought packs solely for the art of specific cards before, although that was when the game was new and exciting). I feel no great urge to own WoW "Gimli" and a ugly knife.

every time i make a deck with Lanwyn, i feel compelled to include Dunedain and Leadership for Ranger Summons

so far, it's been rather terrible :(

but that said, the 3 Spirit scouts deck is really solid, since they can all attack for 3 and have some built-in readying effects

just need some defensive characters or some chump blockers, and you're golden

Hmm. I dunno. Aren't these two heroes a big chunk of "to specific"?? I guess there won't be any decks with just one of the heroes...

Besides: to which card the "he" refers to? The same card or the other?

Hmm. I dunno. Aren't these two heroes a big chunk of "to specific"?? I guess there won't be any decks with just one of the heroes...

Besides: to which card the "he" refers to? The same card or the other?

it's very clearly an anaphoric reference to the hero's name that occurs earlier in the sentence

Gimli will definitely be played without Legolas on the board.  Being able to stand someone as you defend gives a world of options.  However, poor Legolas, being able to stand someone as you commit to the quest is not that helpful at all, specially considering you are kneeling a strong ranged attacker.   

Maybe is wouldn't work, but would be pretty thematic

A deck with these two heroes and Loragorn. Attach Roheryn on Loragorn and you get fourshhere with a very strong hero combo. Then with StwB and SoG it gets even better.

And you have the three hunters

Legolas doesn't impress me very much without Gimli around, but I think he is not as bad as I first thought. There are a number of occasions where we're playing a pair of decks with a hero that we want to have ready after questing but has 2+ willpower, and don't have any good targets for Light of Valinor. In this case, Legolas effectively quests for 3 before the Light and then after the Light operates as a Glorfindel with Ranged. With 4 higher threat, not as good as Glorfindel I suppose, but if we're tired of him or want to use the ally, then Legolas is not rubbish.

As a quick example, we keep trying to get Eowyn to be boosted up by Herugrim and/or Golden Shield but all the pieces never seem to come together in time. Legolas removes the first piece (Snowmane) from the equation.

The discard is annoying, but Elven Light is a thing.

Edited by NathanH

Háma has a discard-based effect as well, and I don't hear any complaints about him not being Noldor. It makes the card pool more interesting, and decks more diverse, having effects with similar mechanics spread across different factions.

Regardless of the mechanics of their effects, I'm not sure how I feel about the new versions of Legolas and Gimli. I can see that they work well together, but I wonder about how often then will be used in other decks. Time will tell, but my concern is that we have another case of Elladan/Elrohir where they will only really see play together. I suppose they can slot into faction decks for their traits and sphere, but the cost (discard or resource) of their abilities seems a bit high if you aren't getting the secondary benefit.

Edited by danpoage

I think I'd moslty if not only play these heroes together, and I still really like them. I don't think they're good enough in solo to warrant using just one of them in a deck, I agree with you there. But I think there could be very strong solo lineups with these two. Particularly because Spirit and Leadership in particular have fantastic options for action advantage, resources and now card draw thanks to Elven-light, which by the way works great with Legolas. I am looking forward to using these two guys.

Hmmmmmm I don't know I think Gimli can still definitely be great without Legolas but Legolas is definitely not great without Gimli.

Gimli is built for defence with his ability and sentinel. You use his ability while defending which is perfect. Even if you only get the one use out of Gimli it is to defend which is what you want to use him for and you get to ready another hero who can also defend or attack or exhaust to do whatever. Legolas is not built to quest.... his 3 attack and ranged mean you want to be attacking with him. If you don;t have Gimli in play or some other way to ready Legolas then he just quests and readies another questing hero. Sure this hero he readies can be a great attacker instead but Legolas is still sort of wasted questing whereas Gimli can be used effectively on a regular basis.

Also yes the discard for Legolas's ability plays into many decks strengths and when paired with Elven Light and Noldor shenanigans it can be a benefit instead of a drawback however you do still need to discard a card every time  (and possibly every turn) to trigger the ability and this will cost you tons of spirit resources if you are recycling elven light every time or if you don't have extra card draw via someone like Galdor or Erestor this may end up slightly hurting you.

A similar argument can be made for Gimli's ability as you could obviously be spending his resources on other cards.

Leadership has TONS of resource ramp though and he even has the dwarven shield/the day is rising combo (which yes again is similar to elven light or silver harp for Legolas) to make his ability that much more readily available etc. 

I don't know.. I definietly think that Gimli has a slight edge over Legolas especially when talking about only including one of them in a hero line up. That being said I am running them together in my decks and they are a great duo! I am however using the tactics version of Legolas instead of this new spirit version.  With Steward/Shield and Armoured Destrier Gimli is a beast of a defender and with some nice weapon attachments and events like Hands Upon the Bow Legolas is a fantastic attacker that thanks to Gimli can occasionally make multiple attacks without a readying attachment. Anytime that Legolas is already ready I use Gimlis ability to either ready Elrond (so he can defend as well, usually with burning brand or so that he can use Vilya) or Tactigorn (so that he can either defend or make an attack and potentially trigger his ability). Pretty much every single use of Gimli's ability is extremely beneficial and allows me to have far more of a handle on combat or allows me to overcommit to the quest.

Hmmmmmm I don't know I think Gimli can still definitely be great without Legolas but Legolas is definitely not great without Gimli.

still convinced of this as well.

the only time it works is with Light of Valinor with no other Silvan/Noldor heroes, but a worthwhile hero that can quest and either attack/defend that's worth discarding a card

but even then, Legolas is still questing for base 1, and as soon as any other Silvan/Noldor is in play, they're likely a much better target for LoV anyway, even with Lego's ability

that said, he's still a 3 ranged attack in spirit for 9 threat, so he can double up with Lanwyn for some decent secrecy ranged attack support Spirit deck or something.  both being scouts is pretty cool as well for that new spirit event