Sign in to follow this  
John Constantine

An Unlikely Friendship

I am so stoked for these cards. Not only do they go well together in a way that opens up strong thematic three hunter decks (tons of them), but they also multiply possibilities when you bring the already existing tactics versions into consideration. This looks like a homerun for FFG. They needed to make the second versions of Legolas and Gimli special in order to satisfy all those fans that wanted to build decks around the pair but couldn't and they did exactly that. I'm pretty impressed.

I'm sincerely glad they didn't limited the beneficial effects on them to just two names - Legolas and Gimli, but just provided little bonuses on top of the main effect for them.

Dwarven Shield is kinda cool. I wish Gloin had more than 1 base defense to be able to make more of it. Oh well.

Mirkwood Long-knife kind of baffles me, as there are currently no Spirit Silvan heroes, and Legolas is going to be the first one when Sands of Hard release.

Yes, both new versions will also be good in many decks that don't feature the pair. I agree about the Long-knife, but it is so good on Haldir. You can splash blue in a Silvan deck to run LoV anyway, maybe it would be good on Celeborn. It's definitely a good card, just a bit of color. Hey, remember when only red had weapons and armor?

Yes, both new versions will also be good in many decks that don't feature the pair. I agree about the Long-knife, but it is so good on Haldir. You can splash blue in a Silvan deck to run LoV anyway, maybe it would be good on Celeborn. It's definitely a good card, just a bit of color. Hey, remember when only red had weapons and armor?

Just out of curiosity why do you like the Long Knife on Haldir?

I personally would prefer Bow of the Galahadrim and Rivendell Blade putting him on 4/5 attack and -2 to enemy defence or alternatively a Bow of the Galahadrim and a Dagger of Westernesse putting him anywhere from 5 to 7.

Is it so you can then put wingfoot on him and quest for 4 then attack for 5 as well?

Also no one has commented on the art yet. What is with the new version of Gimli.....? I don't dislike the art per say but boy is is different from what we normally get and a very unique take on both Dwarves in general and Gimli specifically. 
Also half the focus of the picture is on the building/construct behind him..

Art on Legolas is awesome although the snow looks a little weird.. 

The attachments are then the opposite. Mirkwood Long-Knife almost looks like a cartoon while Dwarven Shield looks amazing and is probably my favourite art on any weapon or armour attachment to date!

Also no one has commented on the art yet. What is with the new version of Gimli.....? I don't dislike the art per say but boy is is different from what we normally get and a very unique take on both Dwarves in general and Gimli specifically. 

The attachments are then the opposite. Mirkwood Long-Knife almost looks like a cartoon while Dwarven Shield looks amazing and is probably my favourite art on any weapon or armour attachment to date!

I have to agree with you.

I don't like the Gimli art the Legolas and Long Knife art are ok and the Shield art is great.

But at least we don't get another tactics Theoden, Great art but a sub standard hero.

Are their stat boosts dependent on the other actually readying? Just wondering if Legolas is a viable target for Light of Valinor.

The text instructs us to ready a hero, we can't ready a ready hero, so for us to ready a hero, that hero must be preemptively exhausted.

Are their stat boosts dependent on the other actually readying? Just wondering if Legolas is a viable target for Light of Valinor.

The text instructs us to ready a hero, we can't ready a ready hero, so for us to ready a hero, that hero must be preemptively exhausted.

Fair enough, just that ever since Sam I like to clarify. Thanks.

Fair enough, just that ever since Sam I like to clarify. Thanks.

The difference between Sam and these two gentlemen is that with Sam, he is "hardcoded" as a target of his effects, while with Gilmli and Legolas the effects of readying and selecting a target are intersected.

Silvan heroes spirit and attack:

Legolas 1/3

Mirlonde 2/2

Celeborn 3/2

Haldir 2/3

Rossiel 2[4]/1

Argalad 2/2 [spoiled]

Except for TaLegolas, none of them have a native match for better weapons than the new attachment, and all but Legolas are already 2+ wp and are well worth having LoV if some Noldor doesn't hog it first.

Legolas is nice but it has that typical simple detail out of place (brown knife why?).

Gimli is a World of Warcraft dwarf. 

The shield is very PJ's The Hobbit and both it and the knife are way too Magical Fantasy for my tastes as a fan of the books.

Based on the art I won't be buying this pack.

Well with the LoV and the Knife attached he can quest with 2, battle with 4 and discard card to ready another hero . I think it is fair enough :)

Edited by Nickpes

I think these new cards look great! I'm surprised how no one has mentioned that this version of Gimli is sentinel, while the tactics hero version is not. Unless I am mistaken, this is the first (non-fellowship sphere) hero with a different keyword than other versions in different spheres (unless one of the Aragorns isn't sentinel, but I can't think of any that aren't). I wonder if that is going to be a new thing.

I think the long knives look great, and I can't wait to use them in my Silvan deck (Galadrial can pay for them for Celeborn, who as somebody already mentioned, can use LOV to both quest and attack). They're a little expensive, but that only makes sense to me for a weapon outside of tactics.