Jump to content
ThenDoctor

Of Great and Terrible Things

Recommended Posts

((XP Expenditures:
Precision Killer (Ranged) - T2 Talent, 2 Appt., 300XP
Fellowship (Intermediate) - 1 Appt., 500XP
Decieve (Known) - 1 Appt., 200XP
Scrutiny (Known) - 1 Appt., 200XP
Command (Known) - 1 Appt., 200XP))

((Downtime Requisitions:
1. best quality sword (common +10, best quality -30) using my entire downtime bonus (+30) with Inf 30 = target 40. Roll: 69. FP Re-Roll: 27 for 3DoS (FP not recovered (rolled 7))
2. shotgun shells (scarce -10) with Inf 30 = target 20. Roll: 27 for 1DoF
given 1/10 chance for Villa library to have a hymnal, rolled 5
3. hymnal (plentiful +20) with Inf 30 = target 50. Roll: 39 for 3DoS (at GM suggestion, upgrading to Good quality because of the DoS)))

Almost immediately after returning to the villa, Estelia goes back out into the hab, looking for a few items. She is forced to hurry because of the approaching night, though some merchants seemingly remain open wall past the artificial sunset. While she is again unable to find any ammunition for Ariel's shotgun, she does find a good looking hymnal that she thought would complement her disguise as a young noble the next day. The other item she was searching for took a bit more looking. After several hours of searching, she by chanced upon a somewhat decorative-looking blade in the window of a shop, and was able to negotiate the proprietor down to a price smaller than the amount of currency she could afford to part with. Examining the sword, she found it to be in good condition, and functional. The ornamentation somewhat obscuring the quality of the weapon as a tool of war.

Returning to the villa for the second time that day, Estelia went to find Ariel.
"Ariel! Look what I found!" she shoves the sword in it's scabbard in front of whatever the other Novice is doing, "you were looking for something to go with your disguise right?"
Estelia seems quite pleased with herself, and waits expectantly for Ariel's approval.

(I'll let Lynata fill out the details of the weapon I think))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

XP Expenditures:

  • Mighty Shot (-400 XP)
  • Dodge +20 (-600 XP)
  • Hip Shooting (-300 XP)

Downtime Requisitions:

  • #1 Shotgun Slugs - 63/25 FAIL
  • #2 Shotgun Slugs w/ +30 bonus - 20/45 PASS, 2 DoS

With some hours to spare after the group's return to the mansion, Ariel once again ventures out into the streets to visit various gun workshops and merchants she had recently become aware of.

Finally, she had discovered the reason for why the munitions she had been looking for were so incredulously difficult to obtain in spite of their relatively simple making: an archaic licensing contract with the Adeptus Mechanicus meant that this particular type of shell was - notwithstanding the black market, or the grey market of unlicensed gunsmiths in the lower hive - manufactured and sold in only three registered stores in the entire hive, and at long last, the dusk-skinned novice had located one of them.

As Estelia found her in the villa, she was just busying herself with loading some of the slugs - freshly unpacked from a small box reading "" - into her gun's compartmentalised drum magazine, but looked up with a puzzled expression as the other girl addressed her in such a cheerful tone, then down again at the object that had managed to topple several of the shotgun shells she had neatly lined up like thumb-sized brass chess pieces, three of which were briefly rolling over the table, yet fortunately without leaving it.

"Humm", she muses as she reaches out for the scabbard, drawing the sword to inspect its blade. "This seems well-crafted. It reminds me a little of the sabers I've seen some of the Dominions-..." She paused, only now realising Estelia's intent. "A moment ... you want me to have it?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

((Bought a Prescription increase and Inescapable Attack with my xp))

((Failed Acquisition for smoke grenades and illuminator servo skull))

Balthazar goes to the market in search of new tools for the investigation. He finds a trustworthy- looking man in a trench coat off to the side of the market and purchases a small box of grenades and a servo skull for a very reasonable price. But upon returning to the villa, he finds ther motive systems removed and a box full of dud grenades. He'll be more careful about his sources next time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2020 at 2:11 PM, Servant of Dante said:

Almost immediately after returning to the villa, Estelia goes back out into the hab, looking for a few items. She is forced to hurry because of the approaching night, though some merchants seemingly remain open wall past the artificial sunset. While she is again unable to find any ammunition for Ariel's shotgun, she does find a good looking hymnal that she thought would complement her disguise as a young noble the next day. The other item she was searching for took a bit more looking. After several hours of searching, she by chanced upon a somewhat decorative-looking blade in the window of a shop, and was able to negotiate the proprietor down to a price smaller than the amount of currency she could afford to part with. Examining the sword, she found it to be in good condition, and functional. The ornamentation somewhat obscuring the quality of the weapon as a tool of war.

Returning to the villa for the second time that day, Estelia went to find Ariel.
"Ariel! Look what I found!" she shoves the sword in it's scabbard in front of whatever the other Novice is doing, "you were looking for something to go with your disguise right?"
Estelia seems quite pleased with herself, and waits expectantly for Ariel's approval.

(I'll let Lynata fill out the details of the weapon I think))

 

On 6/23/2020 at 5:24 AM, Lynata said:

With some hours to spare after the group's return to the mansion, Ariel once again ventures out into the streets to visit various gun workshops and merchants she had recently become aware of.

Finally, she had discovered the reason for why the munitions she had been looking for were so incredulously difficult to obtain in spite of their relatively simple making: an archaic licensing contract with the Adeptus Mechanicus meant that this particular type of shell was - notwithstanding the black market, or the grey market of unlicensed gunsmiths in the lower hive - manufactured and sold in only three registered stores in the entire hive, and at long last, the dusk-skinned novice had located one of them.

As Estelia found her in the villa, she was just busying herself with loading some of the slugs - freshly unpacked from a small box reading "" - into her gun's compartmentalised drum magazine, but looked up with a puzzled expression as the other girl addressed her in such a cheerful tone, then down again at the object that had managed to topple several of the shotgun shells she had neatly lined up like thumb-sized brass chess pieces, three of which were briefly rolling over the table, yet fortunately without leaving it.

"Humm", she muses as she reaches out for the scabbard, drawing the sword to inspect its blade. "This seems well-crafted. It reminds me a little of the sabers I've seen some of the Dominions-..." She paused, only now realising Estelia's intent. "A moment ... you want me to have it?"

You two can continue this at least to it's natural conclusion. I'll put in a response that happens after this conversation obviously.

17 hours ago, Covered in Weasels said:

Balthazar goes to the market in search of new tools for the investigation. He finds a trustworthy- looking man in a trench coat off to the side of the market and purchases a small box of grenades and a servo skull for a very reasonable price. But upon returning to the villa, he finds ther motive systems removed and a box full of dud grenades. He'll be more careful about his sources next time. 

((Reclimators, can't live with 'em, can't shoot them dead in the street lol))

Inellia offers no real commentary, while she didn't expect you to come back before going into the alms house this is not inherently against the initial plan you laid out. Things are, as well as they can be, going according to your stated desires and designs. Even not finding too much implies, at least to her, that the House hides things well. Which...well to a paranoid mind means they've something to hide. Going to discuss things with this "Sister Intias" seems like the next natural step, it may be even better without the actual head of the Alms House around as you may get information otherwise not protected.

((We'll get another round of Ariel/Estelia interacting with that to close it out and then get to the next day at the Alms House))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taking a moment to overcome the pleasant surprise, her eyes return to the blade. True enough, worldly tender such as the strange currency they used on this world did not mean much to a Sororitas; technically this had not been Estelia's but the Church's money to spend, yet the mere thought not to mention the time investment warranted gratitude. It could not have been easy to find a weapon like this, and her fellow novice could well just have spent her resources elsewhere -- such as in a candy store, as the cynic in Ariel might well have suspected.

She eyes the other novice once more. After all this time, she'd never consider her an enigma after all these years together, but from time to time, the other girl still managed to surprise her with entirely unexpected things such as this.

Standing up, Ariel lifted the weapon and practiced a weak swing, just to feel the weight and handling. Nodding, she proclaimed: "This was an excellent find, Sister. Thank you. Of course ...", she grinned a boyish smile, "you know this means I will have to use it to protect you from the witch and the alien."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2020 at 6:48 PM, Servant of Dante said:

Estelia nods excitedly, "You were talking about one before, for your disguise, so I decided to see what I could find. I pay attention sometimes."

She pauses to give Ariel more time to consider the weapon.

 

On 7/10/2020 at 12:48 AM, Lynata said:

Standing up, Ariel lifted the weapon and practiced a weak swing, just to feel the weight and handling. Nodding, she proclaimed: "This was an excellent find, Sister. Thank you. Of course ...", she grinned a boyish smile, "you know this means I will have to use it to protect you from the witch and the alien."

 

9 hours ago, Covered in Weasels said:

((Balthazar has nothing else to add at this point, I think))

Inellia comes in at the last line with and adds grimly, "There are worse enemies to protect servants of the Imperium from, Enemies Within, Without...Beyond." Pushing past the thought she adds a bit more conspiratorily (on an upper note), "But now is not the time for that, I believe the three of you have an appointment to keep?"

((We'll just assume you get back to the Alms House, there's nothing new about the route, nor possible complication in the travelling at this time.))

You arrive back at the approach of the street to the Alms House, it is (more or less) the last chance to discuss plans of approach to how to interface with the "Sister" within. You at least know that the head of the Alms House is not currently back, nor will he be for a few days still.

You do note that the two scum Balthazar and Ariel met yesterday are not currently outside of the Alms house for whatever reason.

((Basically last chance to discuss plans of approach before entry. I...like being sure to give Players a chance to discuss things lol))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Estelia grates slightly at the thought of being beholden to Ariel for protection, but perhaps it was worth it to make her smile like that. Not like Ariel would be stealing any glory from Estelia's pistols with her hand on a sword. Besides. she had no reason to miss the money she'd spent: she was confident more could be provided if necessary. 

She was wearing her night sky black dress with the sparkling pinpoints of "starlight" spattered over the surface. At her wast sat the holster she had commissioned, each holding three of her mismatched array of flintlocks, loaded with simple lead balls. As inaccurate as they would be, they had a rustic charm and would make a satisfying bang and plume of black powder smoke. Tucked beneath her dress within reach was her concealed holster holding her compact autopistol, loaded with conventional rounds.

"I suppose we inquire into how 'our money' would be spent, maybe show interest in the specifics of the house's personal and hope to dreg up information on Rosalinda?"

Estelia tries her best to wipe the nerves, and even fear, from her face and look like a wide eyed noble child excited to throw around her family's resources in support of the ministorum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sheathing the gifted blade in the accompanying scabbard, the other novice had proceeded to gird the weapon, as if trying to see how it looks and feels on her attire. Directly in front of the scabbard, on the left side of her pelvis, sat a Mars-pattern laspistol in a fortunately matching holster. Sturdy, almost knee-high leather boots - one hiding a vicious dagger - accompanied an elegant black garment consisting of wide pantaloons and a frilled shirt, topped off by a wide brimmed hat sporting a single metal feather that seemed to reflect light in the color of rainbows.

She nodded to Estelia's suggestion, her eyes cautiously scanning the front of the building.

"For the time being we do not have much more to go by. Let us pray that, once inside, we may find a clue that allows us to press for something more solid." Ariel pauses for a moment, looking to the others: "Should we perhaps mention her name directly? Act as if we might have heard, or even know her?"

Of course, this suggestion came with considerable risk. It could blow their cover, tip off the woman, perhaps both. At the same time, it could open new doors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Balthazar wears the noble robes he had recently acquired. He doesn't carry his distinctive war hammer, but he brings both his sword and revolver. Anything that would possibly identify him as a priest would likewise be left behind. 

"Mentioning Lady Novianna could very well get us somewhere. If nothing else, it could be useful to gauge the Sister's reaction. Perhaps you two could drop her name during casual conversation."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/14/2020 at 8:08 PM, Servant of Dante said:

"I suppose we inquire into how 'our money' would be spent, maybe show interest in the specifics of the house's personal and hope to dreg up information on Rosalinda?"

Estelia tries her best to wipe the nerves, and even fear, from her face and look like a wide eyed noble child excited to throw around her family's resources in support of the ministorum.

 

On 7/20/2020 at 8:10 AM, Lynata said:

"For the time being we do not have much more to go by. Let us pray that, once inside, we may find a clue that allows us to press for something more solid." Ariel pauses for a moment, looking to the others: "Should we perhaps mention her name directly? Act as if we might have heard, or even know her?"

Of course, this suggestion came with considerable risk. It could blow their cover, tip off the woman, perhaps both. At the same time, it could open new doors.

 

On 7/22/2020 at 11:04 PM, Covered in Weasels said:

Balthazar wears the noble robes he had recently acquired. He doesn't carry his distinctive war hammer, but he brings both his sword and revolver. Anything that would possibly identify him as a priest would likewise be left behind. 

"Mentioning Lady Novianna could very well get us somewhere. If nothing else, it could be useful to gauge the Sister's reaction. Perhaps you two could drop her name during casual conversation."

((Alright, well it seems the best thing to do is start the conversation and we can navigate it as it continues. I'll assume you eventually enter the Alms House.))

The interior of the Alms House is in as much a state as the outer walls of the alms house, reflecting the general nature of the Mid-Hives. While it is nowhere near as delapidated as the Low-Hives it does have areas it could be repaired, or a flickering lumen on an overhand. The entrance of the building immediately opens to what would appear to be a meal area of sorts. The distinct smell of stew (likely some sort of "forever" stew which continues with whatever scraps are found) invades your nose as you feel the heat of a close by kitchen that must be preparing said stew.

The room is sparsely filled, though it seems like it can fit dozens, a little over 2 dozen are currently eating. Those in the house eating are the same sort of detritus that pervades the outside and the alleyways. They look up at you, and even a few seem to have it in their eyes to maybe ask you for patronage, but they think better of it as one of the workers comes around having noticed you enter as well. 

(As a side note, neither of the scum Balt and Ariel met yesterday are here currently.)

The woman approaching the group matches the physical description of Intias, she appears as if she's had a busy enough morning and does her best to make herself presentable before speaking (straightening her dress and hair), she takes a short breath and begins speaking, "Hello, my name is Intias, I help Brother Baranthas run 'Throne's Rest Almshouse' ((I'm not sure if I gave it an actual name previously, but...this is what it is currently)). How may I help you, most honoured guests?"

((For the simple sake of throwing a couple test modifiers out:

Charm  +0
Command  –10
Deceive +20
Inquiry  +10
Intimidate  –20
Scrutiny  +20))

Edited by ThenDoctor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Estelia decides it's best to play it safe at first, and not commit to any falsifiable statements, beyond their cover identities.

She put on her best smile and makes the sign of the Aquila to Intias, "It's quite a pleasure to meet you Intias. I am Scythia Orthesian, and we are here to tour your alms house, if I am not entirely mistaken." Keeping up the smile, the Novice looks deferentially toward the Father, watching Intias out of the corner of her eye.

((I'm thinking Charm and Scrutiny, the Charm isn't to attempt to get anything in particular, just trying to make a good first impression.
Charm: 40 Fel + 10 Trained + 0 Challenging = 50. Roll: 91. FP Re-Roll: 41 for 1 DoS (Faith in the Creed: 1, FP not consumed!)
Scrutiny: 40 Fel + 0 Known + 20 Routine = 60. Roll: 20 for 5 DoS))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ariel let a cautious, attentive gaze wander through the room, scanning the small assembly as well as the interior. In some ways, the design of the alms house reminded her of the St. Valerius schola progenium, albeit more worse for wear, the cracks in the walls and layers of dirt looking rather like neglect than the veritable and unavoidable signs of age. The same could be said for the poor.

She'd almost joined Estelia's gesture reflexively, but caught herself in time, instead simply nodding her head at Intias, the glosswire feather on the oversized hat bobbing slightly.

"My employers are considering to sponsor facilities like this one", she adds, belatedly feeling a pang of guilt at raising false hopes in what seemed like an upstanding Imperial citizen working for an institution that evidently could use some investment. Then again, from all she'd heard, powerful and influential nobles already frequented this place, and likely for nefarious purposes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Balthazar flashes a dazzling smile at Intias. "Indeed, milady. There are many in the Spire who seek to do good works in the Emperor's name, and alms houses such as this one are a highly fashionable way to provide aid to the deserving. I would love a tour of your facilities here; spare me no detail, for I long to know more about how your work helps everyone in this hive." The undertone to all of this being, if this place is impressive then many potential donors will hear about it.

Rolled Charm test with 5 DoS and failed a Scrutiny test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Intias looks, appraising you, and for a moment it seems as if she were trying to connect something to the three of you. The moment passes however (Estellia can tell she brushes it off rather than actually makes a connection. Additionally meta wise her current disposition to you is 54), and your combined pleasantries seems to soften her features and seemingly reassure her of your (stated) purpose here.

On 7/24/2020 at 9:43 PM, Servant of Dante said:

She put on her best smile and makes the sign of the Aquila to Intias, "It's quite a pleasure to meet you Intias. I am Scythia Orthesian, and we are here to tour your alms house, if I am not entirely mistaken." Keeping up the smile, the Novice looks deferentially toward the Father, watching Intias out of the corner of her eye.

 

15 hours ago, Covered in Weasels said:

Balthazar flashes a dazzling smile at Intias. "Indeed, milady. There are many in the Spire who seek to do good works in the Emperor's name, and alms houses such as this one are a highly fashionable way to provide aid to the deserving. I would love a tour of your facilities here; spare me no detail, for I long to know more about how your work helps everyone in this hive." The undertone to all of this being, if this place is impressive then many potential donors will hear about it.

 

On 7/25/2020 at 10:51 PM, Lynata said:

She'd almost joined Estelia's gesture reflexively, but caught herself in time, instead simply nodding her head at Intias, the glosswire feather on the oversized hat bobbing slightly.

"My employers are considering to sponsor facilities like this one", she adds, belatedly feeling a pang of guilt at raising false hopes in what seemed like an upstanding Imperial citizen working for an institution that evidently could use some investment. Then again, from all she'd heard, powerful and influential nobles already frequented this place, and likely for nefarious purposes.

((You can make an Awareness at +0 for scanning the area))

Intias nods, "Of course, we have had plenty of the highborn in this house previously, and I would be happy to give you a tour." She begins moving into the middle of this area gesturing to the area you can already plainly see, "Here is the main dining area of the alms house, the poor and needy of Hive Desoleum Prime may come here daily to receive a respite from their harsh life. Hopefully to better understand their place in the great plan of the galaxy." She gestures over to the kitchen bidding you to follow.

Along the way she asks, "Out of curiosity, where did you hear about the house? We're always curious how word spreads in the high rises."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

((Awareness: 20 Per + 0 Known + 0 Challenging = 10. Roll: 35 for 2 DoF))

Estelia takes the lead in following Intia, happy to play the role of the eager noble daughter, "Do you have clergy on call then? The guidance of the learned is the best remedy for uncertainty."

She tries to sound sure of herself as she repeats something she thinks she heard once. It'd probably been meant as an admonition at the time. She glances back to the Father when they are asked where they had heard of the house. She wasn't sure who their assumed identities knew or where a noble would hear of anything. Not to many nobles around scholas or convents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

((Awareness: Per 35 = Roll 6 for 3 DoS))

Moving to a flanking position slightly behind the 'princess', Ariel casually places her left hand onto the newly gifted cutlass' pommel, her eyes looking left and right as the group begins to tour the facility.

"As you said, you had a lot of visitors", she offers a possible, hopefully sensible explanation. "Word spreads at court, and the young mistress would not want to be the last not to partake in such charity." The novice felt almost proud of the story she came up with, thinking it would fit well with how she understood this society to function. "Do you know the Lady Novianna?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...