ThenDoctor

Of Great and Terrible Things

487 posts in this topic

"This is probably about as private as we're going to get."

Estelia sits on one of the chairs (flak armour is heavier than it looks, after you've been wearing it for the better part of a day) and looks to the Father to open the tube, wondering what's inside it; it had certainly been quite a hassle to get their hands on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Balthazar also sits down, resting his hammer against the table next to him. He carefully removes the wax seal and opens the tube, pulling out the contents and laying them on the table. His servo-skull hovers over his shoulder inquisitively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2017 at 9:45 PM, Lynata said:

Waiting until Balthazar would take a seat - or indeed remaining standing as well if the Father was inclined not to - the cocoa-skinned novice rested her weapon of choice on the table and gazed at their mysterious tube, nodding towards Thorne to open it.

 

8 hours ago, Servant of Dante said:

Estelia sits on one of the chairs (flak armour is heavier than it looks, after you've been wearing it for the better part of a day) and looks to the Father to open the tube, wondering what's inside it; it had certainly been quite a hassle to get their hands on. 

 

3 hours ago, Covered in Weasels said:

Balthazar also sits down, resting his hammer against the table next to him. He carefully removes the wax seal and opens the tube, pulling out the contents and laying them on the table. His servo-skull hovers over his shoulder inquisitively.

Contained within the cylinder are a number of things;

1. The writ that Lemont gave you back on Kappex Orbital that will give you quick passage through the checkpoints at the entrances from Port Gyre to Desoleum, and would have let you use the shuttle there to get down to the port, but Inellia used it.

2. A letter, at first glance seemingly handwritten in High Gothic.

3. A Seal of the Inquisition, a small badge of embossed gold held on the back of black grox leather.

The letter reads as follows:

Acolytes,

I write this to you on the ride down from Kappex Orbital's personal shuttle. It's quite comfy, if you were curious, and the armsmen are behaving well.

Regardless obviously you desire some further instructions on where you might find me, the location of our benefactor's safe house is a small villa like area set up in the upper hives of Desoleum Primus. It's relatively out of the way, being close to the edge of the break between the upper and middle hive area, so it was undesirable to the nobility at large. It's location is more easily described with a map than it is an address, so one is included on the other side of this missive.

I do expect you to come there when you receive this letter. I'll have already begun setting up a few things for you in relation to the leads you stated you wanted to follow up on, and there'll be no need for either of us to retread old tracks as it were.

Included of course if the writ Lemont wrote before on Kappex, and an Inquisitorial Seal of Office. This of course is not a rosette, but it will a least signify to those who know better that you are not to be interrupted without a good reason. Use this sparingly obviously if you'd enjoy keeping things relatively quiet.

You have made it this far, this is a success, rejoice.

The Emperor, as always, protects the faithful. Until we meet again,

I

P.S. Ariel, if you didn't answer the question with "and not at the individual notes" this is a small admonishment. Your words have power, and listening to others is key to picking up important clues. Not to mention the myriads of codes and ciphers you may be tasked with learning. Just something to think on.

P.P.S. Don't worry about burning this missive just yet you do need the map.

On the other side of the missive is a well detailed map showing the general elevation that the villa is apparently at, and a further describing of the level you need to find yourselves on along with a more detailed showing of directions you need to take to reach the destination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having grown accustomed to living together with many of her fellow progena and novices, Ariel does not show any fear of contact as she leans in close to the priest, intent on getting a good look at the document herself. Taking mental note of the tasks outlined therein, she nonetheless felt a pang of guilt, or perhaps hurt pride. Did their mistress truly expect her to recall every thing that was being said? Mere moments ago, she felt relief at being able to - to the best of her knowledge - recall even the one half of the little sermon she found most inspiring, yet evidently she had still provided the wrong answer. That the dataclerk handed over the document anyways could only mean that their mistress had planned for, perhaps even expected her to fail this trial.

Allowing a brooding expression to creep onto her face, the novice briefly closed her eyes in an attempt to calm herself and focus on the task at hand. She could not shake off an impression of unjust treatment, yet at the same time she was raised to obey her superiors without question. Yes, novices of the Sisterhood were expected to memorize a great deal of details, but usually this did not involve spontaneous remarks and off-hand comments, but rather holy scripture studied every single day as part of their ritual.

Was she expected to raise above these standards? It was perhaps not beyond the realm of possibilities that, somehow, their Inellia contact had become aware of Ariel's unusual memory and intended to nurture it, shaping it into a tool useful on upcoming investigations. The Sisterhood would surely keep detailed records of its members, and an Inquisitor, especially a former Sororitas, might easily have the clout to perform a successful data-probe into the order's registry if they knew where to look...

Momentarily discarding the thought, the novice returns her attention to the matter at hand, and her eyes to the missive.

"We should probably take great care when approaching this location", she voices. "But this place is big. Mayhaps we can secure transport for part of the journey, and switch half-way, just to be certain we are not being followed?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Estelia reads quickly over the instructions, Ariel would not be happy at being preemptively chided by the Sister.

"Having someone take us all the way to the site would mean they know we went there, and we are rather conspicuous. Is there a place it would make sense for us to visit close by? We could purchase transport to there and walk the rest of the way."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Balthazar nods in agreement. "How about a combination of both approaches? We can take a ride to some location, switch rides, and then arrive near the villa. We can walk the last few blocks from there."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2017 at 11:38 PM, Lynata said:

"We should probably take great care when approaching this location", she voices. "But this place is big. Mayhaps we can secure transport for part of the journey, and switch half-way, just to be certain we are not being followed?"

 

21 hours ago, Servant of Dante said:

"Having someone take us all the way to the site would mean they know we went there, and we are rather conspicuous. Is there a place it would make sense for us to visit close by? We could purchase transport to there and walk the rest of the way."

 

11 hours ago, Covered in Weasels said:

Balthazar nods in agreement. "How about a combination of both approaches? We can take a ride to some location, switch rides, and then arrive near the villa. We can walk the last few blocks from there."

((I'll let any Balthazar, since he's from Thaur, roll Common Lore Imperial Creed/Imperium +0 to remember areas of worship near the area, Ariel and Estellia can roll Common Lore Imperial Creed/Imperium at -10 since this is more specific information than they may have been exposed to in their lessons.))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2017 at 11:38 PM, Lynata said:

 

You got a 03 on Common Lore (Imperium)

16 hours ago, Covered in Weasels said:

((Rolling Common Lore (Imperium), target number 40. Rolled a 50 for 2 DoF.))

 

1 hour ago, Servant of Dante said:

((CL Imperial Creed test: 30 (Int) -20 (untrained) -10 (modifier) = Roll:58 for 6 DoF))

Ariel remembers this about Desoleum from her studies;

There exists one major edifice and place of worship for the peoples of the Imperium.

The Grand Shrine of the Oath

Although humble compared to the gilded marble edifices patronised by the spire nobility, the Grand Shrine of the Oath is the oldest and most revered of cathedrals used to convey the Imperial Creed to workers on holy days and festivals. Its well-worn pews can seat tens of thousands at a time, but such is its prestige that many times that number seek admittance to its hallowed halls when the work-shifts wind down for religious observances. Even a festival that frees one man in a hundred from his labours sees a hundred thousand petitions to attend the services held in the central Oathroom.

It is located in Desoleum Primus' Upper Hive, and is likely the closest place of known worship that it would not be strange for this group of peoples to say they are heading to. It is not necessarily close by the villa, but it would get you within the area and you could walk the rest of the way with the assistance of the map.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Placing both hands on the table to support her forward-leaning posture, one leg angled so the foot is resting below the table, the dusk-skinned novice ponders their options, recalling a holy site from their lectures in the convent.

"What about the Grand Shrine of Oath? It is, I believe, located in the Upper Hive, and given our appearances it would seem natural that we visit it."

She pauses, then adds, pointing at the map: "I'm not exactly sure about the distance to the safe house, but it is certainly closer than our current whereabouts."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Estelia stares at Ariel, she’s never heard of a Grans Shrine of Oath, though maybe she just wasn’t remembering one of her lessons. In any case it sounded like a good starting point.

”That sounds like a good idea to me, we could even talk to the local clergy if we want to.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now