Sign in to follow this  
Mixxathon

About Insane condition

I might be daft but....

If one investigator goes insane and gets an alternative victory condition, and fails that condition - does that mean;

1. that we all lose when the normal mystery is solved

or

2. is it just that one insane investigator that loses?

If 2 - what does that really mean in a coop game? I can see no sideeffects from having any single investigator 'losing' - or even several investigators not fulfilling the goal as long as the original adventure gets solved.

Can anyone explain that to me?

BTW - I have only played the first quest and not peeked at the others - perhaps the answer could lie there.....

Edited by Mixxathon

The assumption is that everyone is playing to win.  Sometimes its best to think of this game as cooperative, with the possibility for a hidden traitor.

To answer your initial question is that everyone will win but that one investigator with an alternate win condition who will lose.

That being said, in a game like Mansions, I find the enjoyment of playing the game is a bigger deal than win or lose.  I still play it so that I win as that's part of the enjoyment. 

Speaking of insane conditions, how do you win with "The Greater Good"? It says you have to be eliminated to win, but at best there's one turn left to win with an investigator eliminated. Seems awfully demanding.

Thanks all. That clears that up. Although, I have some issues with it as a whole. One would think there would be some..... reward?... for winning. Some mechanic taking into consideration a win or loss.... Arghh - something MOAR!! :D It is after all not a competitive game, and suddenly it is - kind of - but it does not really matter if you win or lose.... It just messes with my preconception of a Co-Op.

It is a great mechanic - I just wish that it meant more. It is like after having played Eldritch Horror for 10 game and lost, you suddenly win and the result is - the game is over. No payout. No aftermath. Just...game over.

^^ Some game effects—primarily Insane Conditions—can change
how an investigator wins or loses the game. Such an effect will
clearly state how that investigator wins or loses the game.
• If the game ends due to a card effect, one of the investigators
selects "End Game" from the in-game menu.

Notice that last part seems to mean you should end the game for all players for insane conditions like the one where if you get wounded you loose the game. Right? 

^^ Some game effects—primarily Insane Conditions—can change

how an investigator wins or loses the game. Such an effect will

clearly state how that investigator wins or loses the game.

• If the game ends due to a card effect, one of the investigators

selects "End Game" from the in-game menu.

Notice that last part seems to mean you should end the game for all players for insane conditions like the one where if you get wounded you loose the game. Right?

Nope, cause the card makes it clear it's one investigator. Game ending because of a card effect would be the front side of wounded or insane where if somebody gets full damage a second time the game ends.

As for mechanics, its like any other game. You play to win. Being the only one to lose should be enough incentive to try hard to win... :D

As for mechanics, its like any other game. You play to win. Being the only one to lose should be enough incentive to try hard to win... :D

Or enough to give the player a hint "Hey, we would really like you to do these insane things."