Sign in to follow this  
JaketheWhitt02

What Two Heroes Will Be Featured In Sands Of Harad?

It was released in the same pack and it serves to remove the only interesting aspect of using that hero. This is a boring design objective, even if the word boring wasn't literally written on an office whiteboard and underlined three times.

It was released in the same pack and it serves to remove the only interesting aspect of using that hero. This is a boring design objective, even if the word boring wasn't literally written on an office whiteboard and underlined three times.

I'm just glad it doesn't reads "Attach to Spirit Glorfindel".

Imagine for a moment how the game would be different if Lore Glorfindel wasn't trash.

to be completely fair, he's not though.

he just had bad timing.  he showed up at a time before Elrond, which doubles his healing potential.  with heroes like Beregond, starting at 30 threat or higher for Journey Down the Anduin isn't a complete death sentence for your ability to finish the quest.  and with things like Favor of the Valar and the valour keyword, having a high threat in general isn't the terrible fate it once was.

but by the time a lot of these amazing pieces that could help fuel his ability and mitigate his high threat were out, we already had Spirit Glorfindel, one of the most broken heroes in the game.

i see a lot of excitement for Dunedain Remedy, which granted heals free the first time and is not limited to once per round, Lore Glorfindel starts the game with that ability.  and in a cardpool where threat doesn't matter as much as it did in the core, compared to Spirit Glorfindel, Lore Glorfindel has the same stats plus a usable ability, whereas Spirit Glorfindel just starts the game with lower threat.  yes, it's amazing for secrecy, but like i said: threat isn't what it once was.

Imagine for a moment how the game would be different if Lore Glorfindel wasn't trash.

I wouldn't call him trash myself.  But it's a problem when his spirit form is FAR superior by any objective standard.  If I need a low-threat hero, Splorfindel is on that short list.  If I need to splash Spirit, Splorfindel is on that short list.  If I need a rider for Asfaloth, Splorfindel is on that short list.  If I need a solid quester and/or attacker, Splorfindel is on that short list.  Lorefindel rarely makes any of these same lists.  Aside from his high threat, his healing ability is just too weak and expensive in almost all cases - especially since the Warden came along.  

I'm not a crazy advocate of errata, but just for the sake of discussion, I think Splorfindel would benefit from a simple update:  Any time he is committed to a quest, raise your threat by 1 (eliminate the exhaust requirement).  LoV would still be an amazing card and useful for him, but Splorfindel would no longer be able to escape his high profile - a point which is specifically thematic.

A good question for everyone here is:  Can you think of a new event or attachment which could specifically give Lorefindel a bump and make him more competitive with his spirit counterpart?

Perhaps an event:  Until the end of the phase, after you trigger a card effect that heals any amount of damage, draw 1 card.  

This is off the top of my head, feel free to poke holes in it.

The Lore version will never see widespread play with that godawful art.

While I can objectively critique the quality of art, especially in a comparative context, please try to remember you're talking about the hard work and effort of real people.  As one coming from an artistic background, the art choice on this card is far from awful and calling it such is demeaning to the artist, however you rank it among the current pool of card art.  

I implore everyone to please keep this discourse civil and impersonal in its criticisms.  Thank you.

I'm not a crazy advocate of errata, but just for the sake of discussion, I think Splorfindel would benefit from a simple update:  Any time he is committed to a quest, raise your threat by 1 (eliminate the exhaust requirement).  LoV would still be an amazing card and useful for him, but Splorfindel would no longer be able to escape his high profile - a point which is specifically thematic.

joaphSu.jpg?1

I stopped using Splorfindel since he seemed to find his way into most of my Spirit decks; this is the exact house rule I have been using to reintroduce him to my decks, and so far I've been pretty happy with it. The interesting side effect is that LoV no longer has to go on Glorfindel--whereas before he would always be the best recipient, now Elrond, Rossiel, Elladan, and a host of others all make equally good choices, depending on the situation.