Sign in to follow this  
incinerator950

What's your primary faction?

We're just a few good men trying to make our way in the universe, and you call us Scum. I have no love for the Empire, but at least I'm not a terrorist.

I actually prefer privateers and mercenaries, but the distinction is blurred by ROEs and the lack of proper faction crossover ships and parts.  Also, you can't get letters of marque and reprisal in this game. 

If we get a proper new RPG game, I'd like to get a Imperial Privateer going.  I may add it as a part of my story, if I decide if I want to write it on New Canon or Legends material. 

Now here is a trick question, What is your subfaction?

Imperial Army Ground Support Wing, 1st Squadron, 2nd Bomber Flight attached to... whatever planet I haven't gotten that far. 

I have thought of a new format which does a "soft split" of the subfactions and since Scum doesn't have multiple subfactions I allowed them to be mercanaries replacing a subfaction.

You can find it HERE.

The problem is you have to make a privateer/mercenary group separate of Scum to be latched onto Imps/Rebels, or independents.  On top of that, you have to cross over basic equipment and some illicit mods and then lose a lot of upper end military grade gear or independent equivalencies .  It's more of a roleplaying problem then a gameplay problem, as the notation between scum and villainy was put in for independents, pirates, syndicate, and mercenaries who are raiders.  You don't necessarily need to bother making subfactions because you don't gain anything besides squadron recognition.  You don't even need to make subfactions unless they actually added a full line of new-gen ships, or proceed to unravel the clone wars as a needed separate tech tree.  Then people are going to go the Mobile Suit Gundam route, were people will only prefer the original generation of craft and pay lip service to new models. 

Like I said, I prefer Empire, but a Imperial Privateer would be my preferential choice for a roleplaying character after Endor. 

Edited by incinerator950

I have thought of a new format which does a "soft split" of the subfactions and since Scum doesn't have multiple subfactions I allowed them to be mercanaries replacing a subfaction.

You can find it HERE.

The problem is you have to make a privateer/mercenary group separate of Scum to be latched onto Imps/Rebels, or independents.  On top of that, you have to cross over basic equipment and some illicit mods and then lose a lot of upper end military grade gear or independent equivalencies .  It's more of a roleplaying problem then a gameplay problem, as the notation between scum and villainy was put in for independents, pirates, syndicate, and mercenaries who are raiders.  You don't necessarily need to bother making subfactions because you don't gain anything besides squadron recognition.  You don't even need to make subfactions unless they actually added a full line of new-gen ships, or proceed to unravel the clone wars as a needed separate tech tree.  Then people are going to go the Mobile Suit Gundam route, were people will only prefer the original generation of craft and pay lip service to new models. 

Like I said, I prefer Empire, but a Imperial Privateer would be my preferential choice for a roleplaying character after Endor. 

I don't have to make a separate subfaction. I simply use point restrictions and don't allow any faction restricted upgrades on scum ships when being used as mercenaries. Subfactions is something FFG put in which is for now only aesthetics. Still I don't think it will stay that way, much like the Dragon sub-type in Hearthstone.

As for Mobile Suit Gundam Syndrome (yess I suffer from it too) I think that Star Wars has already reached and passed that point with the Prequels. As for X-wing it has suffered that Syndrome since Wave 4. So we really need not worry about that, it has already happened and X-wing is still gaining popularity.

You can find it HERE.

I don't have to make a separate subfaction. I simply use point restrictions and don't allow any faction restricted upgrades on scum ships when being used as mercenaries. Subfactions is something FFG put in which is for now only aesthetics. Still I don't think it will stay that way, much like the Dragon sub-type in Hearthstone.

As for Mobile Suit Gundam Syndrome (yess I suffer from it too) I think that Star Wars has already reached and passed that point with the Prequels. As for X-wing it has suffered that Syndrome since Wave 4. So we really need not worry about that, it has already happened and X-wing is still gaining popularity.

Then what you're doing is hamstringing scum pilots and not actually achieving a sub-faction.  CW, GCW, and FA are almost reason enough to label time subfactions, but now you're stuck without scum in the PT or NT.  The only reason you'd want mercenaries is for allies, faction specific gear, and rebel Z-95s, or civilian/hand-me-down TIEs.  It would legitimately work if you could take ships from two factions as an ally, and they nulled that when they gave Scum rebel Z-95s and Y-wings, so again that's moot. 

Sub-factions in essence are Chapter rules (40k) or army groups with special rules, and if we go that route we're going to be spending more money on a document telling us a group of Interceptors gain +such and such as the 181st Fighter wing or X-wings make Rogue Squadron, or Scum get snozzberries and the TIE /FOs and /SFs get weeaboo eyes and fanboy status.  Just to get re-rolls or what not because you have a fancy paintjob declaring it special rules outside of upgrade cards.  That is the problem with what you're declaring, because you have enough distinction between mainline Rebels and Garm Bel Ibis' Katana guerillas, the Imperial Remnant and the First Order, and a dedicated Imperial or Rebel privateer and the Black Sun crime syndicate and a points increase or barring doesn't do collective immersion justice. 

Star Wars reached that terminus point with the Shadow Empire and Vong war.  I happen to have liked the NJO series, until Legacy of the Force started the worst rehashing and character offing you could throw at the continuum.

Did you read his thread? Because your response to it doesn't seem to have much to do with what he was saying at all.

No, I saw it and left it because what he was doing sounded like a waste of development time.  One I don't want dragging into this topic. 

Edited by incinerator950

When I started and began my collection, I was all-in on Imperials. Knowing that I'd like to collect all of the cannon ships, I have quite the collection to wave 7, and they all are very cool ships and cards. However, when I roll the mat out and friends and/or family come over to play, many tend to want to "borrow" what I have (even if they have a small collection beyond the starter set) and pick (usually) my Imperials...and if I have more than one player that wants in on a multi-faction game, the next person usually pick up the Rebels next. So, I have, not by choice, mostly played my Rebels and Scum because I defer to my guests. All things considered, I have been quite successful with some of my Rebel and Scum squads and frequently win as of late.....even if I think the Empire has the more fun ships to fly.

Scum. Idea of playing low lifes from Mos Eisley Cantina made choise easy. Never bought more than one Aggressor or Jumpmaster though, I find same build spam a bit dull and not fitting for scum.

Lately I have been trying some Empire too. Mostly Tie Fighters. They do that KaBoom thing regularly, just like in movies!