Sign in to follow this  
voltagejim

Looking for opinon on some board games

I know this is X-wing miniatures board, but since this post does relate in some way, and I don't know of any other boards to put this on, I am putting here

So me and some friends have been getting into board games and such recently. We have enjoyed Star Wars X-wing minatures, Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, Bang!, Cards Against Humanity, Uno, and Game of Thrones risk

I have purchased Bang!, Cards against Humanity, and every Empire and Rebel fighter for Star Wars X-wing. I also plan on buying Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride.

I was wondering if anyone had any opinons on some other games I was wonderign about and also which version of Ticket to Ride and Settlers of Catan I should buy? (for ticket to ride there is the regular, Europe, and Nordic countries. Just curious which one has more tracks to build)

Here are the other games I was looking at:

Ghostbusters
Superfight
Portal
Exploding Kittens
Carcossne
Halo Risk
Risk 2210 AD
Star Wars Armada
Star Wars Rebellion
Star Trek Attack wing

• Ghostbusters - No clue

Superfight - if you and your friends like having silly arguments, sure

Portal - no clue

Exploding Kittens - fun and funny exactly once. Not worth actually purchasing.

Carcassonne - pretty good game, but a little dry

Halo Risk - Never played it, but it's Risk. There are tons of better war games out there than Risk.

Risk 2210 AD - See above comment. Seriously, if you really want Risk, go get Risk Legacy. As far as I can tell, it's the only actually good Risk game. Of course, it does require a group of friends willing to commit to the Legacy feature.

Star Wars Armada - It's more different from X-Wing than most people realize. Try a demo game with someone who already has it first.

Star Wars Rebellion - This is likely to be one of the best games you own but never play. Good luck finding that one other person who wants to invest the many hours into playing a full game, much less ever playing it with you again.

Star Trek Attack wing - BLASPHEMY! HERESY! BURN IT WITH FIRE!

One game that is not on your list, but really should be, is Betrayal at the House on the Hill. Seriously one of the best board games ever, with more replayability than any boardgame I've ever played (which is quite a few). 

The gist of it is this: You're a bunch of people exploring a haunted house. The room tiles ensure that the layout of the house is different every time, and at some point in your explorations you'll trigger "the Haunt." There are over 50 different Haunts (and an expansion on the way which will include 50 additional Haunts), including everything from Dracula to Frankenstein's monster to zombies to aliens and etc. etc. etc. In most Haunts, one player becomes the Traitor and tries to kill the other players, while they in turn try to stop the events of the Haunt.

Endlessly fun, I cannot recommend it enough. 

some of my favourites: (in no particular order)

Age of Empires 3

Puerto Rico

Antike (hard to find but a top game)

Cyclades

Risk

Axis & Allies (lots of versions)

Shogun

Settlers of Catan

Game of Thrones

Chess (very underrated, especially when played with a chess clock)

One game that is not on your list, but really should be, is Betrayal at the House on the Hill. Seriously one of the best board games ever, with more replayability than any boardgame I've ever played (which is quite a few). 

I'd agree with this.

Other things you may like, trying to riff on the theme of games that seem 'kinda, sorta, mainstream'...

Mystery of the Abbey.  It's kinda-sorta like 'Clue'...almost.  Only WAY more of a logic challenge, and also no stupid roll-and-move mechanic.

Suburbia.  You like SimCity, right?  Of course you do, everyone likes SimCity.  It's got that vibe.  Not in any real mechanic I could pin down, other than that general sense of balancing income vs demand in more than one channel...it just works.  And I love the art style on it.

Both are also on the lighter side.  Along those lines, other 'light' games my group has enjoyed for their pure thematic element - Salvation Road and Dead Panic (although this has recently been re-implemented for the Star Trek 50th Anniversary as 'Star Trek Panic', which I understand folks seem to like more)

If you want to risk a heavier game, but one that just OOZES with theme in a way that little short of X-Wing does...

Battlestar Galactica.  Note: this is NOT an easy game to jump into for non-gamers.  Totally worth it, though...

I know this is X-wing miniatures board, but since this post does relate in some way, and I don't know of any other boards to put this on, I am putting here

So me and some friends have been getting into board games and such recently. We have enjoyed Star Wars X-wing minatures, Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, Bang!, Cards Against Humanity, Uno, and Game of Thrones risk

I have purchased Bang!, Cards against Humanity, and every Empire and Rebel fighter for Star Wars X-wing. I also plan on buying Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride.

I was wondering if anyone had any opinons on some other games I was wonderign about and also which version of Ticket to Ride and Settlers of Catan I should buy? (for ticket to ride there is the regular, Europe, and Nordic countries. Just curious which one has more tracks to build)

Here are the other games I was looking at:

Ghostbusters

Superfight

Portal

Exploding Kittens

Carcossne

Halo Risk

Risk 2210 AD

Star Wars Armada

Star Wars Rebellion

Star Trek Attack wing

Topic should have been in the off-topic section.

Its paradisic times for boardgames right, however actually there are almost too many options out there today.

Boardgames is a lot taste dependent, if e.g. more into Eurogames or Ameritrash, cooperate or cutthroat, light-fun vs heavy management.

I would HIGHLY recommend to look at boardgamegeek before deciding on buying a game.

Perosnal taste warning, and some hip-shots:

I would not buy Settlers. Despite the hype, there are much better games out there with the same theme. Settlers has assymetry problems (3rd starting players most likely to loose, sheep are not worth it, early runner mostly wins).

For example a good ressource game and really nice to look at is "Stone Age".

Village (heavy), Agricola (heavy), Istanbul (light), Scythe (heavy), a lot more out there

Risk is too light for my taste (same problem there, early runner mostly wins). Better conquest games out there.

A funny one is Small World.

Carcassone. While the original one has tons of expansions (bloat it up), the "Hunter and Gatherers" is graphically so much better.

Dominion+expansions: fast deck builder, years of replay fun.

Cooperative: Forbidden Island, Forbidden desert (a lot more difficult then island), Pandemic, Shadows of Malice (can be quite long)

Edited by Managarmr

Here is what I can contribute about the games you are asking about

Portal - got a chance to demo this at origins this year. It really captured the flavor of the video game but the mechanics felt a bit stale and I felt the game wouldn't have a lot of replay value so I didn't pick up a copy.

Risk 2210 AD - wasn't really impressed. The mechanics for the moon board (getting there and controlling it) felt kinda forced. The basic risk game with the modern rules is much better IMO.

Star Wars Armada - decent game but very different from x-wing. Longer play time and requires more planning in advance (including before the game begins). If that sounds like your cup of tea you will probably like armada

Star Wars Rebellion - only played it once and it was fun, but long. Despite what the box says, it really is a two player game, I can't imagine trying to play it with teams.

Star Trek Attack wing - a bad copy of x-wing. Horrible power creep, inferior models, terrible tournaments. Avoid Wiz Kids games at all cost, terrible company.

Some other board/tabletop games you might want to look at

Dominion - first of a new genre of card games called deck building games. Lots of fun, plays fast, is good with 2+ players

Tikal - archeologists excavating Mayan ruins in the jungle.

Pandemic - a fully cooperative game about fighting global epidemics. Surprisingly fun and has several expansions

Game of Thrones Risk - I haven't played it myself, but the guys at my FLGS went nuts over it for the first few weeks after it came out.

Virtually any board or card game from fantasy flight. As near as I can tell they don't make any bad games, just games that may not appeal to certain personality types. Look around their catalog and see what looks interesting. Special mention of Twilight Imperium, my favorite game of all time. Outrageously long play time but incredibly fun and well designed if you like big, complicated, epic strategy games.

Ticket to Ride Nordic Countries is for 2 or 3 players only. It's good, but if you might play with 4 people you need the Europe version.

Battlestar Galactica is good and mostly cooperative but takes all afternoon to play.

Settlers of Catan is best with the Cities and Knights expansion.

Small World is great fun and has a turn limit so only takes an hour or so.

Ankh-Morpork Discworld game is superb and also has a limit (of cards) so 2 hours to play.

I really like Kingmaker...with a house rule or 2 otherwise it gets bogged down (which emulates the real wars it's based on too well).

Lords of Waterdeep is great

Battlestar Galactica is amazing, it captures the feel of the show and is different every single time.

Arkham Horror is good

Colossal Arena

Pandemic

Although these arent on your list, they are ones that my friends have played regularly and quite enjoy.  

I agree with the sentiments about Catan, Middle players are easily blocked and generally have a hard time getting to anywhere good. It's fun, but repetitive.

Most of the above games can take a few hours, although I had a game of Galactica that went terrible for the humans and they didnt even get one jump completed, was done in 45 minutes. Colossal Arena is generally done in under an hour too.

Pandemic - a fully cooperative game about fighting global epidemics. Surprisingly fun and has several expansions

Oh, geez, I can't believe I forgot this one.

Yeah, seriously - BUY PANDEMIC.

For real - in its "Legacy"  format (you modify the game as you play, so each copy is good for a dozen or so games by a group and is then kinda 'finished'), it's the #1 game on BoardGameGeek.  That's a VERY high threshold to cross, but it's actually legit.  The game is co-op, episodic, compelling, just...it's perfect.  The perfect game.

(Even its more traditional version is incredibly solid and easily one of the best co-op games I've played.  Just...forget everything else you are considering, and BUY PANDEMIC FIRST.  Then start back on this conversation...)

Edited by xanderf

Yeah, I'm not really feeling any of those games listed as good 'board games'.

My personal recommendations for replay factor would be

Firefly

Descent

Archipelago

Relic/talisman

Mousquetaires du Roy

Dominant Species

Pandemic

Space Hulk (any edition is fine really, it's whatever you can find with this bad-boy!)

Merchants & maurarders

And my personal favourite...

Buck Rogers battle for the 25th century.

Good luck finding that on however!!

Space Hulk (any edition is fine really, it's whatever you can find with this bad-boy!)

FWIW, my favorite iteration on that one is 'Space Hulk: Death Angel'.  Yes - a card (kinda) game.

Captures the spirit of the boardgame, but is co-op, and SUPER portable.

Man, I've spent a lot of time at local pubs with a group of friends playing that one over dinner and beers...

pic861052_lg.jpg

FWIW, my favorite iteration on that one is 'Space Hulk: Death Angel'. Yes - a card (kinda) game.

Captures the spirit of the boardgame, but is co-op, and SUPER portable.

Man, I've spent a lot of time at local pubs with a group of friends playing that one over dinner and beers...

pic861052_lg.jpg

Agreed!! Also a great gateway drug into the seedy world of card games! Edited by Rauhughes

Yeah, I'm not really feeling any of those games listed as good 'board games'.

My personal recommendations for replay factor would be

Firefly

Descent

Archipelago

Relic/talisman

Mousquetaires du Roy

Dominant Species

Pandemic

Merchants & maurarders

And my personal favourite...

Buck Rogers battle for the 25th century.

Good luck finding that on however!!

Most of those are great, but almost all of them are a bit dense for someone who's just starting to dip their toe in the boardgaming water.

Looking at the stuff you've already played, Carcassonne is the best game in your list that's of a similar complexity to the stuff you're used to. If you're looking for more stuff that's about the same gameplay "weight" or just a little heavier, a semi-random selection of stuff I'd personally recommend (depending on the size of your group) would be:

Mysterium (or Dixit, to personal taste)

Parade (actually, most of that line of ZMan card games. Archaeology and Arboretum are good too).

Cockroach Poker (or Skull, or Coup, or Mascarade, wow there are a lot of good Lying To Your Friends card games).

Lengendary (any flavour. We like Encounters and Encounters: Predator)

Survive! Escape From Atlantis

Love Letter (again, any flavour. I like the OG version but you can't really go wrong).

Lords Of Vegas (like Monopoly, if Monopoly wasn't ****).

Splendor

Castles Of Burgundy

...as well as the aforementioned Pandemic and King Of Tokyo. Hope that's of some help!

At last! Someone mentioned Splendor! I highly recommend it- it is really easy to learn, and dispite of many games mentioned hereinabove, this game is not dice dependent. Still, there is a little element of "fate and luck", but this is a game in which you feel, that you win because of your abilities, wisdom and calculation - not because of a single lucky move. My wife unortunately hates x-wing (whaaaat?!), but Splendor is perfect for both of us. One of the few games, that is playable bor 2 players as well as for 3 or 4 people.

If you want to play with hardcore players friends - pick it up. If you want to play with your parents, grandma or boardgame noobs - pick it up. It's fun to play with everyone.

I do not entirely agree with this review, but anyway I post it so you could know better what I'm talking about. http://www.boardgamequest.com/splendor-review/

I also played Catan, Ticket to Ride (Europe, Asia, Dutch) and Carcassone. The latter I enjoy the most, Ticket to Ride is great but I have enough of it for a while, and Catan after a lot of games played became annoying - there is too much dice luck that you have to depend on and also if you play with people, who do not care about playing and stupidly give away their resources to your opponnents, you will become more and more annoyed. So I do not recommend it in long terms.

Splendor beats all of the above.

For something different, may I recommend WizWar?

FFG quality, but the fun of the original Jolly Games design -- zany, hilarious, with loads of replayability, and a great light hearted beer & pretzels game for a group when you want a break from highly strategic stuff.