Wyldfire

Noob Help with Insane Seer

Hi Gals and Guys

I am looking to play a slightly deranged Forcer Seer (Toruta or Twi'lek) basic concept the character awoke to force visions very early in life and went off the deep end. Wouldn't have been considered even being trained except for order 66 (Game is set after III).

The GM normally runs a more combat focused game, but I am really interested in the whole seer aspect so was thinking I would try and build something that can be more about avoiding being hit rather than defecting things with a lightsaber (although if its not possible to do so I guess I could head that way).

I am very new to the system and got more than a little confused and would appreciate advice on nearly everything.

Thanks again

Oooh, a character after my own heart~ If you stick around long enough you'll learn that I'm obsessed with Mystics, Seers especially. I'd love to help!

This is definitely a doable concept; it's very similar to my own iconic Mystic character, actually (she's even a togruta!).

First off, Preemptive Avoidance in the right-hand column is a great one, because as long as the Destiny Pool holds out, you can basically utterly stymie any melee character trying to attack you. The Force power Sense is great too - the left hand column allows you to commit a Force die to make a small number of attacks against you more difficult each round (potentially upgrading the difficulty of two attacks twice). You'll also want to invest in Foresee, not only because of your concept, but the initiative boosting abilities let you act first so you can trigger that Sense upgrade, as well as potentially granting yourself (and any allies you boosted) extra Defense on the first round of combat, and eventually a free maneuver before combat, useful for either a guarded stance or taking cover.

Uncanny Reactions is also good, both for noticing things as well as pumping that initiative, and Sense Advantage can let you force a couple of extra Setbacks onto an attacker once per session to help with the avoidance tactics. I would also advise branching into Force-Sensitive Exile eventually, so you can grab the Superior Reflexes and Sixth Sense upgrades, which boost your melee and ranged defenses by 1 respectively, giving you more defense from a "heightened awareness" angle. The Touch of Fate and Sense Danger talents are also great for any Force user.

And for continued growth, once your Force Rating is high enough I'd buy into the Protect/Unleash tree. Protect is normally seen as a "dispersing the energy harmlessly" kind of power, but mechanically all it does is reduce the damage you suffer - that could easily be because you've become so attuned to the Force that you can avoid the attacks with uncanny grace. My own character uses Protect in a "we are all one; to harm another is to harm yourself" kind of way: when she gets shot, she is unharmed but the person who shot her has the injury appear on them as if they'd shot themselves in the same place they shot her. It's great :) .

And finally, welcome to the FFG Star Wars system! I don't know if you're new to RPGs in general or not, but this one is very different from a lot of them out there, and if you're coming from a more traditional game like D&D/Pathfinder it can be tough to grasp at first. But it's definitely worth it! Any questions, I'm here to answer them for you!

Edited by Absol197

Oh, another thing I forgot! It won't help much with the precognitive defenses, but it'll be grand for expressing your general character concept: the Seek power.

Seek actually has two basic abilities, both of which are excellent for you. The first lets you get a vision about a person, place, or thing that you want to find, and a lot of the upgrades deal with giving you more information through your insight. The second power is, in my opinion, often forgotten but just as awesome - you can attempt a Vigilance check to see through an illusion. And while that does include actual supernatural Force illusions, that's not all: you can use that version of Seek to see through holograms, camouflage, cloaking devices, or even just mundane disguises.

For all your super-savvy yet mentally unstable Mystic needs: Seek. Find it at your local corner store.

Edited by Absol197

Foresee has a Control Upgrade that lets you boost your defense by two during the first round of combat, helping you avoid getting hit before you have a chance to find cover.  But to avoid getting hit, Sense is going to be your best bet, as the Duration and Strength Upgrades should be enough to ensure what attacks do come your way (especially if you're not doing things to make yourself a major threat to the bad guys) either don't hit or don't hit you very hard.

Bear in mind that avoiding damage in this system is very difficult to accomplish, as the writers intentionally designed things so that combat would be dangerous (i.e. not taking damage in a fight is the exception rather than the rule), but not lethal (only way a PC can die is if they take one of a couple specific critical injury results that requires a 140+ result on a d100).

Well, luckily in this system things are a little less tied to specific characteristics, especially when it comes to the Force. However, there are a couple of points I could make.

Initiative is based off of Willpower (for Vigilance) and Presence (for Cool). Perception is Cunning-based and also really fits your theme. And of course Discipline, the ultimate Force skill, is Willpower as well.

So assuming you don't want a secondary focus in something, I would prioritize Willpower, then Cunning, then Presence. Of the two species you mentioned togruta fits this layout slightly better, although the twi'lek's extra point of strain can't be knocked.

However, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that species choice should be driven much more by the narrative of you game then by what stats you want. Both species can get to Cun 3 Will 3 Pre 3, so you won't be hurting mechanically for either. But because of their different histories and worldviews, the stories you can tell with each are different, both in your backstory and going forward in your campaign.

So ask yourself, which species feels better to you?

Edited by Absol197