Sign in to follow this  
BenStark

No Rebel Love?

So...I'm working hard on improving my game.  I'm talking to players online and in the community and taking their advice into consideration.  One of the things that struck me though is it seems like there isn't a lot of Rebel love.  It seems like the handful of lists that are winning tournaments are Empire or Scum. 

What is it about the Rebels that they don't see a lot of play? Sure, the Empire has more mobility and Scum has some neat tricks.  Why can't the Rebels keep up?

The rebel alliance is a small rag tag group of freedom fighters who will ultimately prevail in the fight against the evil imps and fully restore order to the galaxy when they push the scum back into the outer rim where they belong! After there's an X-Wing fix that makes their flagship more viable...

The Rebels big 'gimmick' of regenerating shields has taken a big hit from the rise in ordnance carriers like the Jumpmaster whilst their Aces still aren't up to keeping up with Imperial Aces. At least that's people will tell you. When you've been around the game long enough you'll start to see that factions drift in and out of popularity in the same way that certain lists and ships do. In the beginning Rebels struggled against Imperial swarms. Falcons made Rebels stronger. Then Phantoms were the 'thing'. TLT's boosted Rebels and Scum. Regen pushed Rebels even further in front. Then Palpatine arrived and it was all Imperial Aces. Then Jumpmasters dropped and Scum are a strong, and therefore popular, faction. 

The answer to your question? There will be love for Rebels again... It's all about how long the wait will be! ;) 

there isnt a lot of rebel love because for the longest time all they ever had was fat turret ship or regen or both. Both strats are highly detested as being extremely dull lists to face and stupid easy to fly.

In order to play rebels without those, you need to be very crafty with each pilot. Each pilot interacts with each droid (if applicable) radically different, and even between the same ship they dont fly the same.

I thought the Rebels owned most tables before I got hooked a year ago....seems it's just the natural pendulum bringing balance to the Galaxy. I mean, how can Rebels be rebellious if their top-dogs or even equal powers? I'm thinking too much; still, never lost with my Horn, Wedge, Portkins list.....yet, haha!

Both strats are highly detested as being extremely dull lists to face and stupid easy to fly.

I have yet to see a meta build since TIE swarm that hasn't had this criticism at some point.

I agree....and Swarms are a beautiful thing flown well, and they can almost destroy any opposing list. But, few can fly them well....I still have the self inflicted and asteroid dents in my ships to prove it, haha.

i actually like facing dengaroo and palpaces because theyre not a cookiecutter strat to beat, you have to mindgame your opponent.

Not a fan of facing literally nothing but them but the only "meta" list i dont like facing is rebel regen (because if you dont literally 1shot them, they will come back full strength very soon), fat turret spam (because it takes 0 effort to fly it), and tripboats (because they are the most broken ship in the game for the cost and can survive a hefty alphastrike with ease)

The most common rebel list around me is annoying but its also a mind-game to win it. Lothal rebel and dash. Theyre just simply too beefy to beat straight up...so i run a crit-specialized TIE list and watch the opponent squirm hehe

TIE Swarms need to be flown VERY well to actually be any good. I can do it, in fact i get a LOT of props around here because i can run 8 tie fighters and keep them ALL locked on target without an unintentional bump for quite some time. Nobody else that i know of can do that around here lol

Edited by Vineheart01

People tend to play to get it into range as quickly as possible. That's why imperial aces do so well. They need to be close to arc dodge so play into people's weakness of being in a hurry. The Rebel's B-wing is a tank and quite good for its cost. It suffers from few green maneuvers and it's k turn is way over used. My point is the people telegraph their moves. Take a little more time,stop the urge to rush in. Be unpredictable! The Rebels are the first love faction, meaning most played them first. It also means that most know their maneuver dials enough to guess where they are going next. It doesn't make them any less good. Okay, I love my Imperial aces but now I'm going to have to play Rebels just to prove a point.

Edited by ozmodon

Rebels do suffer a bit these days, but I fly them anyway. I have fun flying my Wes/wedge/Luke lists (soon to be changed a bit with vectored thrusters), and I'm about to go on an AXBY kick just because it's awesome to see all four on the table at once. I'm not saying to intentionally take bad lists, but I use the ships I want to and try to make the best list with them rather than focusing only on the ships the meta deems competitive.

I don't see the triple boat lists around me at all, so that helps. Lots of various imp aces though, and large base ship rebels. Dash and ghost is a thing, and so are 2 ghosts with or without a little buddy.

Anyway, I don't play tournaments yet, although I am wanting to, but using a non meta list isn't the end of the world. People hyper focus on the meta, and it blows their mind to see something unexpected. I feel confident it often leads to better games for both my opponent and me. Fly em if you got em.