Sign in to follow this  
So Crates

How to punish Jumpmasters

If one wanted to punish jumpmaster lists, including both torp scouts and Dengaroo, what would you take?  Also, imagine that you did not care about beating Palpatine aces.  Are there good lists for punishing j5ks directly?

Spankings.  Liberal and unabashed spanking.

Just don't let that crotchety old neighbor lady see you do it.  She already thinks you're a bad parent and she is this close to calling social services anyways.  Don't put fuel on that fire.  Punish your Jumpmasters in private.

I sometimes wonder if people on this forum actually play the same game as I do. Even before the R4nerf, I would average 3 solid hits with my proton torpedoes using a jumpmaster.  I could see how people would and could get almost 4 hits reliably.  If you are flying something with 2-3 evade dice, you're going to take damage, get used to it.  But you're also going to evade some if not all of that damage, all dice average out over time. If you don't want to take damage, try a different game.  If you want to diminish damage, get rid of their ship before they shoot you again.  There are several ships that have ordinance even in every faction that reliably get a target lock and shoot before the Jumpmaster, use those ships, or try other ships that have cannons, or approach the jumpmasters from a different angle other than head on.  Have more ships than they do, take their tokens, shoot and kill them before they shoot and kill you.  You might lose a ship or two in the process.

see above

Edited by buckero0

This would hurt them as it fires before they do.   

Tala Squadron Pilot (13)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Tala Squadron Pilot (13)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Tala Squadron Pilot (13)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Red Squadron Pilot (23)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Red Squadron Pilot (23)
R3-A2 (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 100

Blast one U-boat before it fires with missiles.  Fire normal X-wing next.  If U-boat isn't dead, finish it with last X-wing.  If that one U-boat is blown, then fire stress bot at a new U-boat to stress it and prevent it from firing torpedoes next round.   U-boats shouldn't be able to finish off your entire list before you can kill the rest of them.  Use the Z's to block and get shots off.  

other jumpmasters!

seriously, torpscouts just plow through Dengaroo

as do Tailgunner ARCs, funnily enough. Infina focus + LW isn't terribly impressive on one green die :P

ARCs don't do too well v torps, though :(

for scouts (not caring about palp aces) higher PS high damage is the counter, ie PS 4 crackswarm or PS 4+ ordnance spam

while their defensive profile isn't bad, it is also deceptively squishy. They tend to drop to sustained offense pretty quickly, lucky green die notwithstanding

I've yet to play a trio of the bowls myself (none of my pals have yet to buy enough of the buggers)....however, I just watched a fellow take apart a grouping of them rather easily; I was impressed. Either he has the squad that can just do that to bowls, or he's a much better pilot than the poor guy that sat across from him, or his dice just fell that night. In any event, I took notes; his squad was:

Gamma Squadron Veteran (27) x 3
TIE Bomber (19), Deadeye (1), Extra Munitions (2), Homing Missiles (5), Guidance Chips (0)

Scimitar Squadron Pilot (19)
TIE Bomber (16), TIE Shuttle (0), Fleet Officer (3)

Part of the problem as I see it, is the two lists are not the same at all.

Jump masters cry to crack swarms.  A 6 tie Howl led crack swarm will reliably kill one scout before it shoots and the 3 green dice give you a chance of surviving the return volley.  It isn't that much work to burn a second one down, and then your remaining ties dual with a 2 attack die ship.  

Dengaroo is different, it reliably smokes one tie and countermeasures denies you that first engagement turn burn down.  Plus Dengar fires first.  He reliably kills Howlrunner and one other tie before you get your first, umm, crack at him.  

I like defenders, bro bots, or other hard hitting, fast moving ships for Dengaroo.  Anything that can prevent Manaroo from escaping (and she is tricky) while avoiding some of Dengar's damage and surviving is a good play.

1280-3-hammer-magnetuntitled-1.jpg

this. so much this.

yeah, you might get to sit out the rest of the tournament.. but every once in a while one has to "hard counter" a boring meta. "Stop! Hammer time!".

luckily, the guys around here don't do triple masters; everybody has a good amount of distaste for "the new hotness" it seems and is instead looking for ways to beat it. 

works even without hammers sometimes  :D I just love the local scene and the healthy, diversified game of xwing we play around here.  ^_^

If literally all you care about is beating 3 scouts, you take Wes with VI, BB-8 and IA, plus 4 talas with guidance chips and concussion missiles. Or, you get super focussed, run Wes with Adaptability, R4-D6 and IA, and use the two points to upgrade to two Assault missiles on your Talas - the R1 bubble is pretty big when you have three large based ships that want to fly in formation.

If you want something that can still punish torp players while maybe having an impact on the Palp Aces players, you drop two of those Talas, chuck a Grey Squadron stresshog in there, and use the spare 6 points for whatever you want (I'd say Homing missiles on your Talas, and a couple of seismic charges on your Hog, or a Proton torpedo with guidance chips to beef up your Alpha again). It's less likely to kill a scout before it fires, but Wes ensures you're only taking two torps, and there're realistic ways to drop that down to one*. Clever stress play means you will never take more than three torps all game.

*Assume Wes misses and strips a focus from one. Switch to another for your missiles. If you can sneak 6 or better damage through with the alpha, the stress hog stands a decent chance of killing a second scout before it shoots, especially the torphog variant.

Sticky crap on the floor.

Cant jump. Problem solved.

/sarcasm

you mean throw a ton of scyks starvipers and firesprays and mesh them with generic E-wings and PUNISHers?

yeiks, that's some weird sticky сrap!

The problem with Jumpmasters is that they are PWTs, so you can't put them in a corner to punish them.

Effective: swarms, especially higher PS ordnance swarms. Block them (no ordnance shenanigans) then overwhelm their 2-defense dice. Or autothruster arc-dodger them.

The problem with Jumpmasters is that they are PWTs, so you can't put them in a corner to punish them.

Effective: swarms, especially higher PS ordnance swarms. Block them (no ordnance shenanigans) then overwhelm their 2-defense dice. Or autothruster arc-dodger them.

or PWT-outgun them

or defender-outtoken them

or shenanigans-troll them

the only thing that doesn't work is "roll at them guns blazing hoping your regenning arse will take the heat"