Sign in to follow this  
Rakaydos

Hypothetical "ban list" tournament- what would the meta be?

So, the Corusant Open showed an alternate format, where you could shackle underperforming ships to everyones lists to mix up the meta. The results were interesting, and I look foreward to seeing more of the same.

This is something more conventional. Assume the following cards were banned:

Palpatine

Biggs Darklighter

Contracted Scout

What would the new meta be?

Without palpatine, Palpaces is just Imperial aces. But by the same tokeen, without Contracted Scouts, Dengaru is intact but triple uboats is dead, reviving all the rebel lists that prey on imperial aces. And without biggs, rebels lose much of their anti-alpha they no longer need against the vanished torpscouts, reducing pressure on post-vets Tie Bombers.

Crackswarm (imperial and rebel) are intact,

Rebel regen rises from the ashes

Thug life?

Dash ghost?

What other lists would be good lin a meta with no palp, no biggs, and no contracted scout, but all other tools of Wave 8 and Wave 9 intact?

Edited by Rakaydos

Brobots will still be a thing

I would rather see other restrictions. Like if you take Palp, you cannot take autothrusters in the same list.. Limit the number of Jumpasters to one per list. That sort of things.

4tlt variants (eg. 3tlt 1 stresshog) since aces can get hit by tlts now

Crack swarm, but to be fair it would probably be that same handful of players who would fly swarms anyway

Fat han will be back, and so would deci phantoms. Are you sure you want these 2 back?

Dash corran and brobots would work better, but it is hard to gauge how much better. Top 8 definitely, but a big tourney win? Hmmm.....

Kwings would see reduced play, especially the bomb variants, with no palp aces to counter.

First of all, this sucks. Some people like their builds.

Second of all a restricted list is probably better than a full ban.

Third Dengaroo effing sucks and is winning a far too considerable number of games and match ups. It should be addressed. Rebels aren't doing that amazingly. Banning Biggs is both far too extreme and also very counterproductive to strategies that can be used.

Basically, I don't think you know what you're talking about. In a kind way. There's a lot more to think about before reaching for the banhammer.

You'd end up in triple-ace meta with nothing but Stress-Y and Autoblaster Lothal to boot v_v

sad but true.

Theres a ton of tools that can knock out triple aces no problem (especially without palpatine) that punts to uboats. I dont think a ban list is the answer right now, but if uboats disappeared imp aces would start to have a lot more problems again

You'd end up in triple-ace meta with nothing but Stress-Y and Autoblaster Lothal to boot v_v

sad but true.

Theres a ton of tools that can knock out triple aces no problem (especially without palpatine) that punts to uboats. I dont think a ban list is the answer right now, but if uboats disappeared imp aces would start to have a lot more problems again

We'd see the return of regenning rebels who are simply dull when played and annoying to play against.

My Partybus once had 8 turns of shooting at R1-2 at Corran giving a goose chase. 8 goddamn rounds. 

Filthy PTLing regenner.

Even when taking 2-3 hits every turn and having to re-roll his hot as hell dice he didn't want to go down. and yeah, the tricky waffle took the clockwise route to piss the double-stressed scouts xD

want meta to shift? Ban PTL. teh single most overused EPT EVER

Edited by Warpman

I'm not in the X-Wing tournie scene - nor likely to start - but I have run many tournies for another massed unit fantasy miniature game (no, not WHFB).

Despite a similar community feeling that 2 particular unit/character types were not costed to their effectiveness, I would never take the presumptive step as to completely ban anything. I sometimes considered imposing some specific restrictions, but didn't enact them in the end (and funnily enough, the factions containing those units didn't actually win any of my tournies).

Complete bans are a slippery slope which would make me wary.

However, similarly to you, I do wonder what minor tweaks to composition guideline would produce...

...such as what kind of list variety would you see in a "small ship only" tournie?

(I'd like to say "all generic" tournie - but surely U-boats would completely own that space)

fapfapfap

Just play X-Wing guys.  Hey, why not try 5x ABT Y-Wings?  Or how about Scyk Link?  Try Guri on for size!

Seriously, X-Wing should be kept in the basement with the beer and pretzels, where it belongs.

Fixed.

You'd basically have the wave 7 meta, sans Palp Aces, but +triple Defender.

U-Boats actually wiped a bunch of NPE crap from the meta like regen, quad TLT, and the last of the holdout fat turret players that continued playing them despite quad TLT.

Not actually sure what I hate more, Palp Aces or showing up to 14 player events where ~half are Rebel players and they all have identical regen Poe builds. Having to chase regen ships around for entire games is not fun and I'm super happy that I don't have to face any of that **** anymore and that Rebels are underrepresented in tournaments. Good, go regen with your turret someplace else.

So, the Corusant Open showed an alternate format, where you could shackle underperforming ships to everyones lists to mix up the meta. The results were interesting, and I look foreward to seeing more of the same.

Palpatine

Biggs Darklighter

Contracted Scout

Without palpatine, Palpaces is just Imperial aces. But by the same tokeen, without Contracted Scouts, Dengaru is intact but triple uboats is dead, reviving all the rebel lists that prey on imperial aces. And without biggs, rebels lose much of their anti-alpha they no longer need against the vanished torpscouts, reducing pressure on post-vets Tie Bombers.

Thug life?

Dash ghost?

What other lists would be good lin a meta with no palp, no biggs, and no contracted scout, but all other tools of Wave 8 and Wave 9 intact?

Better banlist:

Palpatine

No multiples of any card

GG all meta lists.

Palpatine

Biggs Darklighter

Contracted Scout

Thug life?

Dash ghost?

Better banlist:

Palpatine

No multiples of any card

GG all meta lists.

GG pretty much any swarms, too.  Way to nuke all generics forever ;)  No BBBBZ, no rookie x wing squadrons, no green squadrons swarms... etc.  No more than one T65 because no integrated astromechs and no generic R2 units...

For my money, there are two errata I'd make to hopefully improve meta diversity:

Palpatine costs 1 Epic Point.

Scout has no EPT.

The rest will sort itself out.

Edited by thespaceinvader

Palpatine

Biggs Darklighter

Contracted Scout

Thug life?

Dash ghost?

Better banlist:

Palpatine

No multiples of any card

GG all meta lists.

GG pretty much any swarms, too.  Way to nuke all generics forever ;)  No BBBBZ, no rookie x wing squadrons, no green squadrons swarms... etc.  No more than one T65 because no integrated astromechs and no generic R2 units...

For my money, there are two errata I'd make to hopefully improve meta diversity:

Scout has no EPT.

Dead useless scouts, triple aces, defender lists, return of filthy regen, rectal TLT domination driving ghost back to the shelves.

Palpatine

Biggs Darklighter

Contracted Scout

Thug life?

Dash ghost?

Better banlist:

Palpatine

No multiples of any card

GG all meta lists.

Scout has no EPT.

Dead useless scouts, triple aces, defender lists, return of filthy regen, rectal TLT domination driving ghost back to the shelves.

Not remotely.  The scout would still see a LOT of value as the bumpmaster build, and you can still do Deadeye torpedo u-boats with Mana and Tel.  It means you don't get a full wave of 4 torpedoes in round one guaranteed, but the Scouts can still fairly reliably shoot them off later in the game using TLs, and they have the toughness to weather a round of shooting.  They just have to actually fly properly and get specific tagrets in arc.  You know, play the game.

TLT y-wings will still get PWNed by torp scouts just as hard unless they go up to PS4, at which point you can only afford three of them and they're nowhere near as good.

Palp and the Scout are the two most meta-warping cards in the game right now.  Kill them, you open up a LOT more meta space at high levels.  Rebel regen is nasty but it has counters - not to mention that giving rebels back an actually-viable build other than Dash/Ghost would be lovely.

Palpatine

Biggs Darklighter

Contracted Scout

Thug life?

Dash ghost?

Better banlist:

Palpatine

No multiples of any card

GG all meta lists.

Scout has no EPT.

My crack swarm is 1x PS8 2x PS7 1x PS6 1x BSP and Wampa, I can move the other 4 points to bump Youngster up to Zeta Leader and it'll still look like a respectable swarm.

Palpatine

Biggs Darklighter

Contracted Scout

Thug life?

Dash ghost?

Better banlist:

Palpatine

No multiples of any card

GG all meta lists.

Scout has no EPT.

My crack swarm is 1x PS8 2x PS7 1x PS6 1x BSP and Wampa, I can move the other 4 points to bump Youngster up to Zeta Leader and it'll still look like a respectable swarm.

Good luck with that without multiples of Crack Shot ;)