Sign in to follow this  
NakedDex

Starting out - where to first?

Welp, I did it. After playing X-wing since Wave 2, I was really interested when Armada launched. I'd played a lot of Battlefleet Gothic back in the day, and thought that scale would work really well for SW capital ships; then Armada was announced and I was super enthused. Unfortunately, I started getting into the competitive scene in X-wing and Armada fell away in my desire to get involved with. Having taken Regionals and made a decent show in Nationals, I felt like I should take another look at Armada to shake things up a bit. You guys have been busy since the Core launced...

So, tonight I broke, and ordered a core set...

The question now is, where do I go next? I've been reading around and there's nothing standing out as obvious choices, so am I wrong in saying it seems like there's no bad option? I was thinking of going big and iconic to start, with an ISD and an Assault Frigate, and seeing where I go from there. Solid, or nay?

Also, seems like there's conflicting ideas on how good/bad squadrons are. Is it worth picking up a squadron pack for each side early, or do I just go big ships or go home (one).

Lastly, any silly opening things to avoid in first games? Common mistakes or timing issues to watch out for?

Thanks for the help, folks. Looking forward to this arriving.

You'll never know Squadrons if you never try them.  There's a lot of upgrades taht are geared for them.  It is entirely possible to play without them...  But you're deliberately limiting yourself, so its best to be educated by experience before making that call.

Otherwise, you're correct:  There are no real bad choices.  Just choices to make and revel in...  

For common issues, well, play and see what happens :D  We're always waiting in the Rules Sub-Forum to work out minutae for you...   Really, its the Attack Flowchart that you need to look out for the most when starting...

If I were you, I'd do an MC30C instead of the AFmkII  and add a gladiator to the pool: that gets you some downright awesome builds for both Imp and Rebs.

Maybe add to that squadron box of imps, rebs, and R&V and you've got hours and hours of games.  

Lastly, any silly opening things to avoid in first games? Common mistakes or timing issues to watch out for?

Concentrate fire looks nice but its a trap until you are more experienced. 

Out of the 50+ I have taught the game to, every single one was concentrate fire heavy on their commands. 

Second thing. . . actually the most important. . . THIS IS NOT X-WING! Once again, THIS. IS. NOT. X-WING! This is vital for you. You are a competitive X-Wing player so you will compare this to X-Wing. DONT! FOR THE LOVE OF THE LIVING STARS PLEASE DONT!

Armada is less fast paced and far more about strategy. There are less shenanigans and the game is FAR FAR FAR less about your build than it is about your play skill.

Watch some videos on rules. Handily, my first link in my Siggy will lead you to mine which I will be updating soonish.

So, regarding the Squadrons, I'm assuming there's a couple in the box. I'm actually pretty interested in playing them as the mechanics seem really interesting, I was more curious as to whether it's worth getting a pack of them ahead of further big ships. I'll probably be growing this little fleet at a fairly sedate pace, given the costs over here in merry little Ireland (ISD is the equivalent of about $60-65), so I'm trying to figure out what should take priority in terms of building from the core set into bigger games. I was only thinking the ISD and AF because, well, they're big and expensive (points wise), but I'd happily take suggestions (such as that MC30) as to better early pickups. I'm thinking two big ships and then hold back for a little while, to figure the game out before picking up more.

Oh, and Biggs, I'm already on your site, ravenously consuming content!

Out of the 50+ I have taught the game to, every single one was concentrate fire heavy on their commands. 

Second thing. . . actually the most important. . . THIS IS NOT X-WING! Once again, THIS. IS. NOT. X-WING! This is vital for you. You are a competitive X-Wing player so you will compare this to X-Wing. DONT! FOR THE LOVE OF THE LIVING STARS PLEASE DONT!

Armada is less fast paced and far more about strategy. There are less shenanigans and the game is FAR FAR FAR less about your build than it is about your play skill.

Watch some videos on rules. Handily, my first link in my Siggy will lead you to mine which I will be updating soonish.

So, I do have a competitive X-wing background, but I've been playing strategy style games for... longer than I'd care to admit. Battlefleet Gothic is probably a lot closer to how I'd be thinking about this game; that game was considerably more about planning where you needed to be in a couple of turns rather than the following one, and what your positioning should be to bring your abilities (torpedoes/broadsides/assault boats/etc) to bear.

I'm super aware this isn't like X-wing. In fact, X-wing is probably the anomaly in my chosen games. If Armada had come along first, I think X-wing would have been a back-seat job, as this scale is pretty fascinating to me.

So for

You get 4 X-Wings and 6 TIE Fighters in the Core Box...  Including the Heros Luke Skywalker and Howlrunner...

never mind. Ninja'd while still typing.

The "best" early pickups to get are the ISD and the AFII, followed quickly by the Gladiator and these days I would say the Liberty-Class MC80.  Then pick up the Imperial and Rebel Squadron packs.

So for

You get 4 X-Wings and 6 TIE Fighters in the Core Box...  Including the Heros Luke Skywalker and Howlrunner...

never mind. Ninja'd while still typing.

The "best" early pickups to get are the ISD and the AFII, followed quickly by the Gladiator and these days I would say the Liberty-Class MC80.  Then pick up the Imperial and Rebel Squadron packs.

Excellent, so my purchase path is kind of how I imagined, with the ISD and AFII. I figured Gladiator and Home One next, but I hadn't seen the Liberty so that makes sense. With that many squadrons in the core set I should be set for a little while, and realistically I'll probably pick them up along the way as an impulse buy (I'd love to say I can hold out and be sensible on these purchases, but I've seen my X-wing purchase receipts so I can't be that deluded).

So, I do have a competitive X-wing background, but I've been playing strategy style games for... longer than I'd care to admit. Battlefleet Gothic is probably a lot closer to how I'd be thinking about this game; that game was considerably more about planning where you needed to be in a couple of turns rather than the following one, and what your positioning should be to bring your abilities (torpedoes/broadsides/assault boats/etc) to bear.

I'm super aware this isn't like X-wing. In fact, X-wing is probably the anomaly in my chosen games. If Armada had come along first, I think X-wing would have been a back-seat job, as this scale is pretty fascinating to me.

Watch some videos and listen to some Intensify Forward Firepower podcasts. They go over the rules and such and you can catch up. 

This is sort of like Gothic but not really. Having played gothic, I can say that Dropfleet when it comes out will be closer to Gothic than this. This is really something not seen much or ever I think. 

So thinking in what I said, Armada is like WWII Naval Warfare. That is the best way to characterize it really. The ships turn and move like naval ships and squadrons dogfight, launch torpedoes, etc.

This game can be won by a no upgrade fleet (though it would be harder these days), the game can be won by a no squadron fleet.

Armada is a Naval tacticians dream land. It requires aggressiveness, risk, and chance. Yet he depth of how things work and interact is just huge.

If you pick one faction, you can go further for your dollar and build a more well rounded fleet. I've only play as Imperials, but they're far more my style anyway.

The base fighters (especially Imperials) aren't very worthwhile by themselves. TIE fighters just serve as a screen to limit the damage of someone else's fighters. You really need bombers (in fighter pack or R&V [mixed fighter pack]) to get use out of fighters. Wave 3 and 4 also seem give a shot in the arm to the fighter game. I'll include a few fighters in almost all of my list, but few are fighter centric right now (mostly because Rhymer feels kind of OP and I don't want to go that route every game). 

One of each is kind of a good way to go. That's the way I went for the Imperials. Eventually I picked up a second fighter pack, second Rogues and Villains, second Gladiator and bought two Gozantis when they came out. 

I'd suggest starting with the ISD, gladiator and one fighter pack or R&V pack if you want to have a lot of Imperial options. Next you could go for a Gozanti (same cost as fighter pack) if you're looking for a small expansion. 

I'm happy with the ships and fighters I have now. Won't be buying any more until the next wave. 

On the Rebel side you'll want to do something similar. MC30 and Assault Frigate or either of the MC80s (depending on your playstyle) plus one fighter pack. Unfortunately for the Rebels there's more of an incentive to buy another Corvette and Nebulon B, which makes the Rebels a little more expensive to build IMO. 

If you're budget conscious, go Imperial, come to the dark side and such.

I'll be building up on both sides, as there are very very few playing this in my area, but I have a few folks interested in it, so the idea of having enough to play a few games regardless of whether they have ships is important.

The other reason for not going down the single faction route is, with X-wing at least, I've never been one for sticking on one build or faction for too long. I like to mix it up, as much to understand either side by using them, as just for the fun of it.

I did think this would be much more like naval warfare, which was exactly the draw, being honest. That style has always interested me, so it's good to see its confirmed. I'm looking for Midway in space, rather than the murder-cathedrals of Gothic.

So, regarding the Squadrons, I'm assuming there's a couple in the box. I'm actually pretty interested in playing them as the mechanics seem really interesting, I was more curious as to whether it's worth getting a pack of them ahead of further big ships. I'll probably be growing this little fleet at a fairly sedate pace, given the costs over here in merry little Ireland (ISD is the equivalent of about $60-65), so I'm trying to figure out what should take priority in terms of building from the core set into bigger games. I was only thinking the ISD and AF because, well, they're big and expensive (points wise), but I'd happily take suggestions (such as that MC30) as to better early pickups. I'm thinking two big ships and then hold back for a little while, to figure the game out before picking up more.

Oh, and Biggs, I'm already on your site, ravenously consuming content!

As you're in IRE then consider ordering from one of the UK companies instead and taking advantage of the cheap pound. The companies I tend to look at are:

board game extras, chaos cards, dark sphere (my local store so I feel i should support them), wayland games (though not sure I'd recommend them but they were cheapest on Wave 3/4), sometimes Amazon, Shop4world and book depository have good deals.

ISD from board game extras is £34.75 including delivery so only ~€42. Also if you are going to buy in a different currency I'd consider looking at something like the Revolut app/card which will get you better currency rates than your normal credit/debit card.

In terms of what stuff to buy I'd seek out local Armada players and see if anyone will give you a game supplementing your core set with a couple of their ships to give them a try but if there aren't many/any (as you suggest) then:

Imperial: ISD and Gladiator plus the core VSD is a well balanced fleet (start with a squadron pack and then add ISD or Gladiator)

Rebel: AFMk2 is a well rounded ship. Pair it with a squadron pack and then either the Mon Cal cruiser or an MC30 (and your cores ships) to get an equivalent fleet.

Edited by Vae

The problem with buying from the UK is the weakened currency stance isn't enough to pick up much of a saving when you factor in shipping. The best deals I can pick up are usually on Amazon for that reason. I am keeping a look out on the UK sites, though.

If you are a new player then don't fall in to the trap that is squadrons! 

HA HA I'm joking a little.   Just don't be one of these people who brings 133 points of squadrons and only 2 or 3 ships.   Activations are your friend, and if you are going squadron heavy, try to have at least 4 activations to lower the chances of someone blowing up your ships first and winning the game while you still have 100+ points of full-health squadrons on the table. 

If you are a new player then don't fall in to the trap that is squadrons! 

HA HA I'm joking a little.   Just don't be one of these people who brings 133 points of squadrons and only 2 or 3 ships.   Activations are your friend, and if you are going squadron heavy, try to have at least 4 activations to lower the chances of someone blowing up your ships first and winning the game while you still have 100+ points of full-health squadrons on the table. 

Or do what I'm doing, bring 3 Activations, and all the B-Wings and Speed-and-Range Boosting possible, because they'll never get to your Ships...

BWAHAHAHAHHAHHAhAHHAHhAHhAHHAHhAHAHA!

giphy.gif

Unlike Xwing too there's no real super new player friendly build (Xwing has new x7 defenders which are imo far and away the best thing you could give a new player)

But there's also far less dependency on your build because the gap in power between armada ships is nonexistent next to Xwing (compared Xwing to x7 defender)

I do crutch on akbar assault frigates to make up for my lack of practice though :P. They're quite generous about positioning errors provided you DONT CONGA LINE THEM

If your opponent heads off the Congo line the rest gets stuck and screwed :(

I'm actually ok with there being no new-player builds. I like that it's open enough to do whatever for a few games and figure things out (rather than go "hey guys, I brought three T65s with Proton Torpedoes!" and then get plowed into the ground, like I've seen happen so many new X-wing players).