Sign in to follow this  
LordTesla

Help with Rieeken

My meta is small (me and my brother, I play Empire he plays Rebels) and my opponent likes using Rieeken (who flies around the edge of the board in a transport) a lot. I tend to get my *** kicked every time when he does. Any advice you guys have for dealing with Rieeken?

So Rieekan is anti spike. He negates your ability to spike damage to kill a unit before it activates.

Your best bet is to throw a unit forward that will kill either Riekaan, or his most important ship, a turn early. Good ways to combo this are to have a navigate ready to jump out of range from MC30s and Bomber squadrons.

Another thing Rieekan does poorly is objectives. Take an end of turn objective and force him to kill all of his ships before it is checked for objective points, such as Fire Lanes out Contested Outpost. You'll see some pushback on this due to statements made at GenCon, but RAW end of the status phase happens before the end of the round.

Ignore Cactus

Kill ships after they activate.

We get in the habit of trying to kill ships before they activate, which doesnt work against Rieeks.

You need to consider your escape routes, once you kill a ship, how are you going to bug out, move out of danger.

Ignore Ginkapo. 

Sometimes the right move is jumping out to pop Rieekan early--it's been done to me.

And don't wait to kill ships after activation if it doesn't fit your plan of action. Just realize that it doesn't matter whether you kill a ship before or after it activates, it will still be there.  So incorporate that knowledge into your plan, and attack it at whichever point is more advantageous for you.  Obviously don't move into its range in order to get shots on it; but also don't stay in its range just to wait until after it's already activated.

List-wise, the best way to consistently address Rieekan is to mitigate the effectiveness of his ships via means other than direct damage-dealing.  Slicer Tools, crippling crits from Screed/Dodonna and APTs, tractor beams, Interdictor tricks, and objectives are all very effective against Rieekan.  If you're consistently facing Rieekan, try taking some of these tricks.

The biggest tool you can have to counter Rieekan, though, is a good plan that accounts for his ability.  He requires you to think a little differently about activations, and so many people don't do this.  I suggest trying him once or twice to get a feel for the other guy's considerations.

Another thing or two you can do against Rieekant is try to spread out your opponents fleet. That gives you the ability to hopefully get after and focus on a single ship or push an advantage. The previous advise of targeting things that have already activated certainly applies in my opinion. Tho that's not just effective against Rieekant after all.

You're right want to go after the ship that he's in as soon as you can. 

My meta is small (me and my brother, I play Empire he plays Rebels) and my opponent likes using Rieeken (who flies around the edge of the board in a transport) a lot. I tend to get my *** kicked every time when he does. Any advice you guys have for dealing with Rieeken?

Can you describe the lists he is actually using and what you have available to you?

There are a lot of different methods of running Rieekan, and the counter will change depending on the ships being used (both in terms of tactics and listing).

Avoid his double arc setups.

Go for sure kills / focus your fire. Splitting your shots is what he wants. 2 ships at 1 hull left are 100% dangerous next turn, while 1 dead ship isnt comeing back next turn.

Get Second Player. Forcing him to go first and play your objectives takes away a large benefit frim most Rieekan lists.

Ignore every third poster.

The usual Rieekan culprit seems to be a Yavaris with either Dutch/Wedge, Keyan/Nym, or both. The normal counter (kill them before they activate) doesn't apply. You kind of just have to accept a certain amount of beatings here. Focus down the best anti-squad ace, then the second best, and so on. This is if you are using squads to take them down (as would make sense). If you run squad lean, stop and go use some squads as a meat shield. Accept that they will get some mileage out of Rieekan unless you can wipe the flagship out early.

Edited by Church14

Uh... if it's just you and your brother... why not pull your stuff together and play all kinds of admirals/fleets?

Or setup a tourney... everyone uses each Admiral once and see who wins more of the matchups!

Or see if you guys can come up with lists that beat Rieekan?  Or the unbeatable Rieekan list?

Then go forth and beat everyone at your FLGS?  Beat them and move on to... wait, I don't have to play against an unbeatable list... :-)

I got into the game just before wave 2, and I have never seen this admiral used. It's either ackbar or garm every time. I've never really considered using him myself.

Looking at the comments here I might have to go back and see what this guy can do, and what kind of lists he works with.

I tend to fly an ISDI and an Interdictor, 2 Gozantis and a ace or two plus a couple generic squadrons.

He typically uses an AF, MC30, corvette or 2 and now a Liberty, he like to put his admiral on a transport and keeps him safe. he also usually brings 6 Rebel aces like Luke, Nym, Wedge etc.

I was thinking of shaking my list up a bit and making room for a Raider II with Q7's to hunt his admiral down

I got into the game just before wave 2, and I have never seen this admiral used. It's either ackbar or garm every time. I've never really considered using him myself.

Looking at the comments here I might have to go back and see what this guy can do, and what kind of lists he works with.

This is so cool. I love seeing wild differences in local metas like this. Garm, of all things, dominating the meta--I love it!