Sign in to follow this  
heychadwick

Shuttle Tydirium Episode 17: What makes X-wing fun?

blue%20tydirium_zpsgfuw9tqu.jpg

Shuttle Tydirium Episode 17: What makes X-wing fun?

Welcome aboard the Shuttle Tydirium Podcast for episode 17!  This flight, after a brief 34 minute discussion about computer games, we'll discuss an important but rarely addressed topic: What makes X-wing fun?  

Captain's Question: 3:05

What makes X-wing fun?  37:40

===

OK....I admit that this is our most rambling episode ever.  We were supposed to interview the creator of the Heroes of the Aturi Cluster that night.  Something came up and he wasn't able to make it.  Being so excited for the interview, we didn't prepare anything else to talk about.  So, we talked about one of the threads on FFG and about what makes X-wing fun.  

The captain's question does go on for quite a bit as a number of the crew really like their vigimigames.  

So....I think it's fun, but don't let this be your first episode to listen to   :)

Still enjoying No Mans Sky.

If you like Crafting, Survival, Exploring in that order you will like no mans sky.

Edit (playing Deus Ex HR again before MD, and going to try a Bloodborne no Death Run also Awesomenauts is really fun, and I hit 460 hours on Starbound)

Edited by Cubanboy

Yikes! Captain got a bit intense there for a bit. Good listen, even if it was a whole lot of the HeyChadwick vs. Babaganoosh show.

EDIT: I really liked what HeyChadwick touched on at the end there with the close games, but also the memorable moments. Steve Horvath at FFG calls them "water cooler" moments, where you sit back and recall those fun experiences playing the game. He says that's a major part of the design of all their games to make sure you can tell those cool stories. Close games and water cooler moments are some of my favorite things about this game.

Edited by Parakitor

Yikes! Captain got a bit intense there for a bit. Good listen, even if it was a whole lot of the HeyChadwick vs. Babaganoosh show.

EDIT: I really liked what HeyChadwick touched on at the end there with the close games, but also the memorable moments. Steve Horvath at FFG calls them "water cooler" moments, where you sit back and recall those fun experiences playing the game. He says that's a major part of the design of all their games to make sure you can tell those cool stories. Close games and water cooler moments are some of my favorite things about this game.

The only MEH in this show was the off-topic video game stuff.

:P

Haha!  I do like a good debate and I do like to get dug into it.  I am lucky to let it roll off me, though, as I had a lot of brothers and just had to roll with things.  I'm also a bit like that after a couple beers.  :)

This podcast got me thinking about what I find fun in X-Wing, what keeps drawing me back.

I think on so many levels that it is giving me a puzzle to solve. I've always been big on puzzles, in everything in my life.

X-Wing offers so many levels of puzzle to solve, from the turn-by-turn "What's the best move for this ship right now," to the game level strategy to the overall meta puzzle of playing against your meta (Whether that's the latest regional, or the half dozen players in your local play group.)

At every level X-Wing gives me a great puzzle to work on.

Guys, just finished listening to this episode. Are you up for some constructive criticism?

I'm of the view that there's no wrong way to play X-wing, as long as you're having fun.  I think you generally share that opinion.

But I'll tell you, a lot of the discussion in this episode came off as very defensive, and very anti-tournament.  I don't think a recipe for success is trying to define yourself as what you aren't (as in "casual = not tournament"). Focus instead on what you are, all the great ways to play the game, and the positive things it does for you.  Every time you bring up tournaments, or "meta", you're setting up an us-them construct that runs counter to the message you're trying to deliver. Stick to the positive and define yourselves by what you are, and you'll have more fun and be more fun to listen to.

'Cause that's why I want to listen to you -- I want to hear about neat ways to play the game and guys who are just enthused about flying plastic Star Wars ships around on tables, and not hear about what you don't like about how someone else plays the game.

Yeah I think I definitely missed a few chances to better define my perspective on that; I'm of the opinion that a healthy competitive scene is actually very good for the casual scene, and also that the idea that most people are either casual OR competitive is also not true. Most people are somewhere in between and often like both ways to play the game. Like me! I just prefer the casual side of things a bit more these days and also think that there are very few voices promoting it. I also think we got a little into the weeds and a little more negative than we normally like.

I love the show and have listened to every episode! Thank you all for putting this out their, I really appreciate! I have to agree with the above comment by Hawkstrike about where the episode focused on the meta and competitive play. I enjoy your show so much because it's a show about people playing a game they love and sharing their experiences!

What makes X-Wing fun for me is super multi-layered. I have so much fun list building. I love getting me ships ready! I won't fly them till I paint them! I love organizing me stuff. It is the only part of my life that is this organized. I love seeing my friends, I love playing close matches, I even like loosing if the game was a good one. I guess the most fun part of x-wing for me is the overwhelming majority of it!

Edited by urbanyeti

Yeah I think I definitely missed a few chances to better define my perspective on that; I'm of the opinion that a healthy competitive scene is actually very good for the casual scene, and also that the idea that most people are either casual OR competitive is also not true. Most people are somewhere in between and often like both ways to play the game. Like me! I just prefer the casual side of things a bit more these days and also think that there are very few voices promoting it. I also think we got a little into the weeds and a little more negative than we normally like.

Well, I think that it was even mentioned in the episode that a great casual scene promotes the trournament scene. Casual players have a great time honing their skills and learning the ins and outs and finally desire to test themselves and try for some swag (still hoping to land a challenge coin). Both parts are equally important in this game and I, like Babaganoosh like both. Have fun playing casual? Do it! Love rubbing people's faces in it after tabling them? Tourney time!

Edited by RepCommando