Sign in to follow this  
Marauder1983

Interaction: thruster fissure with speed modifying effects

Just a question though:

Do we know that G-8 does not change the speed dial? I know it says "temporary", but does that intrinsically mean that the the dial is not changed (and then changed back)? I'm just thinking out loud here, since the overlapping rule explicitly tell us to not change the dial, while G-8 does not explicitly tell us that.

Do you trust an Interview with a games designer?

Because Alex Davey stated that it was designed to work on Engine Techs.  

The only way it works on Engine Techs, is if it is changing the Speed of the Maneuver, and not the Speed of the Ship.  Because the Speed of the Ship is irrelevant to Engine Techs.

I do, however, I'm not familiar with this interview (like I said in a earlier post, although not specifically direct towards you). Is there a way to actually watch it, since plenty of discussions right now are referring to it it? :)

Edited by Viper Jr.

You can nitpick the wording all you want.

I'm just the messenger here.

Don't tell me I'm wrong.  Tell the Designers they are, if that's the case.

Oh but we're agreed on all counts. Sorry I couldn't resist nitpicking ;)

Just a question though:

Do we know that G-8 does not change the speed dial? I know it says "temporary", but does that intrinsically mean that the the dial is not changed (and then changed back)? I'm just thinking out loud here, since the overlapping rule explicitly tell us to not change the dial, while G-8 does not explicitly tell us that.

huh? You do understand that it is a "Temporary Reduction" right? This means it follows any and all rules prescribed under that. To temporarily reduce speed you go 1 less on the Maneuver tool from what your dial states. You dont change the dial.

So when I wrote this I left out anything about the G8's specifically because the wording on the card is "temporary". In my opinion the thruster fissure would only produce its effect if the actual speed on the dial is modified by the owning player or as an effect of another source in the game (a card or effect).

Just a question though:

huh? You do understand that it is a "Temporary Reduction" right? This means it follows any and all rules prescribed under that. To temporarily reduce speed you go 1 less on the Maneuver tool from what your dial states. You dont change the dial.

Huh? Why would you ask "you do understand that is a a 'Temporary Reduction'"? If you really actually read my post, I clearly stated that the fact that I know the word "temporary" is used. I just asked if it is explicitly stated in the RRG that the word "temporary" in regard to speed effects means "do not lower the speed dial", rather than "change it, but then change it back".

I ask since the only time "temporarily" (or any form of it) is used is under overlapping, where it is explicitly stated that the speed change should be done without changing the dial. Lastly, your post did not add backup, rules quote, dev-quote, or anything at all to actually answer me humble thought (unlike Drasnitgha who had already answered my question, with backup from Gencon).

Edited by Viper Jr.

New email clarification!

The rules are indeed as written on the card, meaning that Phylon Tractor beam can be used to damage an enemy ship with Thruster fissure, while Admiral Konstatine cannot be used to damage an enemy ship with Thruster Fissure. This is because with Konstatine, you (ie. not the enemy) changes their speed, while the Phylon Tractor beam forces the enemy to change their speed.

Q:

"Hello! I have a question regarding the damage card "Thruster Fissure", specifically when the Speed of the affected ship is being targeted by other players upgrade cards. Thruster Fissure says that you take one damage when "you" change your speed. The Phylon Q7 Tractor Beams specifically says that you force your opponent to change their Speed, which would then result in a damage from Thruster Fissure. However, Admiral Konstatine does not force the opponent to change their speed, since the card says that "you" (ie. the owner of Kostantine) changes a opponents speed directly. Does the affected player still get a additional damage from Thruster Fissure, even though Admiral Konstatine is very specific about that fact that the owner of Kostantine changes the Speed directly. In other words, do Thruster Fissure always trigger on a "Speed dial - change", even though different upgrade cards are very specific about who is actually changing the speed?"

A:

"Your interpretation of “you” is correct. The ship with Admiral Konstantine equipped chooses whether to increase or decrease the speed of the ship with Thruster Fissure, so that ship does not suffer 1 damage."

Edited by Viper Jr.

Interesting... doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but then again, what do I know.

Well, maybe not thematically, but I personally believe it makes perfect sense if considering the differences in the card text.

Nice.  The two answers contradict each other.

Well, I guess, but the first email was answered before even Tractor Beams or Konstatine was even in the game. It also didn't specifically address this issue. So I personally don't have conflicted feelings about it. But how knows, maybe they change it in a FAQ.

Edited by Viper Jr.

For me its the "you"'portion of thruster fissure that makes the second answer more intuitive. It seems to me the card is only supposed to apply damage when the ship changes speed via command. If Konstantine or Phylons force the shift, the "you" being referred to on the card isn't changing the dial, the opponent is.

Same reasoning behind why damaged controls doesn't add a damage when you get rammed, only when you ram something.

For me its the "you"'portion of thruster fissure that makes the second answer more intuitive. It seems to me the card is only supposed to apply damage when the ship changes speed via command. If Konstantine or Phylons force the shift, the "you" being referred to on the card isn't changing the dial, the opponent is.

That's not quite right - Konstantine does the change directly (not you -> no damage), Phylons forces you to do it (you -> damage).

The wording on the cards is pretty clear (even if the intent wasn't), and I'm glad the clarification sticks with it.