Sign in to follow this  
Krysmopompas

Mythos Card (Rumour) Question - Reserve and Eldritch Tokens

ok unfortunately I'm not near the deck, so I don't even know why I'm posting yet! Mainly so I don't forget to; and maybe someone here knows the card I'm talking about.

There's a Rumour in one of the expansions (I have all including SoC), which says something to the effect of "on Reckoning, discard one Asset in the Reserve and place an Eldritch Token on that space." When you place an Eldritch Token on that space in the Reserve, it essentially blocks that space, so you only have 3 Asset cards available at any time. then 2, then 1, then zero.

My question (if you know what card that is): once you solve the Rumour, do the Eldritch Tokens on the Reserve get discarded and then you immediately fill up the Reserve, or does it stay blocked all game?

It doesn't say to discard the Eldritch Tokens, but it doesn't say not to replenish the Reserve either - and if you've solved the Rumour, then maybe the Reserve is replenished?

Thanks for any help. I'll try to find the card name later.

I don't know the card but I believe it's the same situation like mysteries that tell you to place tokens on the board. Once you solve it you discard all tokens generated by it and continue the game normally.

It doesn't say to discard the Eldritch Tokens, but it doesn't say not to replenish the Reserve either - and if you've solved the Rumour, then maybe the Reserve is replenished?

Do you know any rumor that says to discard eldritch tokens after solving it? (Or a mystery?)

No, you don't, because it's a default rule.* So discard the tokens and immediately fill the reserve.

When the tokens are to be left where they are after solving the rumor/mystery that's an exception, and it's always mentioned on the card.

*Even if you don't know this rule, you could follow this reasoning:

After solving the rumor there's no longer anything in the game that tells you that slots with tokens are blocked. So they aren't.

So you could fill the reserve, while leaving Eldritch tokens where they are. This wouldn't affect game mechanics in any way.

Received a response straight from Nikki Valens - and you're all correct, in hindsight it's pretty obvious!

When a Rumor Mythos card is solved or discarded, also discard all tokens on it and placed by its effects. A rumor has effect only while it is in play.

When "Moving to Boston" is solved or discarded, the Eldritch tokens in the reserve are also discarded and its restriction about placing cards in the reserve is lifted.