Sign in to follow this  
Stilgod

Hold on to your butts: New Star Citizen Tech Demo

As always, I take everything with a grain of salt. I've been following this game since its announcement, but this is the first time I've actually been impressed by gameplay. No Man's Lie left a sour taste in a lotta people's mouths, so hopefully this game actually delivers what its promising when it gets released in 2032.

I'm glad I didn't kick start this honestly it's taking a stupidly long time to develop.

I'm still waiting on its official release before even considering buying it.

Stupidly long, i don't know most AAA titles are in development for up to 3 years, i read somewhere GTA V took around 5 years to complete so it's long (started at the end of 2012) but not overly long and i think these guys do not have as many employees as the big companies. And as far as i know the heavily modified the CryEngine and things like these take quite some time, and they had to find and cast a lot of voices for the Squadron 42 module, which also takes time but as far is i know some modules can already be played.

And we all know the DUke was in development hell for about 15 years ;) so Star Citizen will surely not the game with the longest development time.

I'm glad I didn't kick start this honestly it's taking a stupidly long time to develop.

I'm still waiting on its official release before even considering buying it.

Not really, it been not even 4 years, they have a few working products, some feature creep, and some engine issues as the developer of the engine went into financial troubles when it was supposed to change the engine to suit the game better. My bet is still 2018, which was the same bet I made in 2012 after the initial kickstarter. What really did surprise me is how tenacious they are with their marketing and ships-sales. My original estimate was about 80 million on backer money and they now have already 120 million dollars. About 0.0004% of that from me. ;-)

Those doors took forever to open.

Combat looked worse than NMS.

The crowd cheering was worse than an 80's sitcom.

Movement in general looked slow - if there wasn't a scripted end to that pirate base, loading every box onto your ship would be a nightmare.

I don't know how they generate their worlds, but if they're building it all by hand, most of those planets will be barren.

That demo didn't excite me. But I'd give the game a look when it releases on console.

That demo didn't excite me. But I'd give the game a look when it releases on console.

If ever … in like 10 years and it still melts your console?

Planets are generated procedurally, while the 'interesting' stuff is generated by hand. We might see more procedurally generated stuff as fillers or not, depends how their tests on that turn out. 

And unlike NMS the multiplayer is working… ;-)

I tried it out. Had low expectations but was pleasantly surprise to see decent space sim mechanics. Takes me back to my old Wing commander, Tie fighter and SWG days where you can adjust your ships shields and pipe power to different systems. The game isn't really anything like No Mans Sky, it plays more like the ARMA games so if you like those its worth a look.

Combat in your EVA zero gravity can be slow if your not building up your momentum and zipping around the place but for the most part combat is fast when your on your feet and you can die quickly if your not moving. All the movement is handled by the physics engine and your ship will side about depending on what way your thrusters are pointing. But if your good you can power slide around asteroids and turn off the flight assist so you can flip your ship around and shoot people chasing you.

It nails its tone kinda a mix of Battle Star Galatica, Firefly and the Alien movies. The world is rich and super detailed walking into an airlock without a pressure suit on will kill you as your exposed to the vacuum of space.

My last flight-stick died with SWG it plays fine with keyboard and mouse if your ship has guns on an aiming gimble you can aim independently of where the ship is pointing.

Yes there are ships that cost hundreds of dollars and packages of ships for thousands but all of these ships are going to be available to buy in game so you can buy the $45 starter pack and that's really all you will need though the $60 pack has their single player game that's going to be bundled with it. You don't need to subscribe to monthly payments or anything like that. The cash shop just buys mostly basic things like decorations and skins.

The game isn't done there are bugs but what is there fills the hole SWG left its a AAA super detail 90's revival space simulation game that no AAA publisher would dare to fund.

Sign up its worth your time they have free fly events every so often you can try the game out for nothing.

Here's my referral code STAR-HGLZ-RMKY put that in when you sign up and get yourself $5 of their space credits.