Sign in to follow this  
Delta7lyfe

Good starting squad?

Alright I'm super new to this game I'm trying to look and see where there are regular games played in my hometown but I was wondering if I could get some feedback by more experienced players about good starting squadrons to fly that are pretty well balanced and fairly simple to fly. I know next to nothing about the meta I'm just looking for some helpful starting advice on putting together my very first build.

There is no easy answer for you these days I'm afraid.

Once upon a time we would likely have pointed you to the Falcon and a pair of Rebel fighters to go along with it but if you are trying to be competitive in the metagame it's going to take a LOT more than that.

I guess my advice is going to simply be put together some squadrons on your own while using minimal upgrades (some are good but some aren't) and get a feel for how things will work.

I would suggest saying screw it to playing a top competitive list - no offense but you're not (likely) going to be a top player to start with anyways.  I would focus on playing lists that force you to learn the base mechanics of the game instead of playing lists that ignore them (like Dash does).  One of my favorite beginner squads, either to recommend for a beginner or to play against a beginner and help them learn more of the game is a simple ABXY list.  Any will do, but try the following out:

A Wing - Green Squadron Pilot - Chardaan Refit, Push the Limit, Optional: A Wing Test Pilot, Adaptability

B Wing - Blue Squadron Pilot - Heavy Laser Cannon, Fire Control System

X Wing - Rookie Pilot - R2D2, Integrated Astromech

Y Wing - Gold Squadron Pilot - Twin Laser Turret

If you're missing one of the cards, just proxy it, no one will care.  As for why this list, it has a bunch of high points for teaching the game.

It has a glass cannon in the B wing - you'll want to protect him in the opening rounds

It has a mosquito in the A wing - he wants to get right in there and annoy the heck out of everything maybe getting a damage here and there

It teaches action economy via PTL on the A wing, and with stress mechanics in the game, makes you aware of when you shouldn't PTL

It has rebel regen, which should help on the engage/disengage part of the game

It has both boost and barrel roll, which can be useful skills to learn

FCS helps establish the concept of focus fire

It reinforces exactly when people get extra dice (they don't via a secondary weapon, even if it's at R3)

It has a turret on the Y wing to introduce how obnoxious AT can be if you don't catch the opponent in arc

And overall, it's a pretty simple list so you don't have to worry about too much 

Not to mention there's the standard flying elements that this list requires.  Since it doesn't have any major tricks, you can really focus on the core element of the game - maneuvering better than your opponent.  If you learn to win with this list, then you can move on to lists that ignore rules or substantially change them, and you'll be a better pilot because you started here.

Welcome to the game! :)  What do you have in your collection so far?

My recommendation - just jump in and learn to TIE swarm.  A lot of people will say swarms are not ideal for beginners but honestly I feel like the difficulty of flying swarms is overrated.  Mastering swarms takes tons of practice but learning their basics is not difficult.  They require minimum use of complex upgrades, utilize mostly the same ships that have the same dial and pilot skill, and they can be very cost efficient to build in terms of how many expansions you need to buy.      

TIE/fo Fighter

"Omega Leader" (21)

Juke 2

Comm Relay 3

(Both these upgrades come with the TIE/fo)

Tie Fighter

"Howlrunner" 18

Tie Fighter (x4)

Black Squadron Pilot 14 (x4)

All you need to field this is 1x TIE/fo expansion and 5x standard TIE expansions (and either Core set).  Six ships is a lot but you're only moving at two different pilot skills - 4 and 8.  Also, you're only working with two movement dials and they are quite similar.  Finally, this build only uses two upgrade cards - everything else is just ships.  

Set up every game in the corner with Howlrunner in the back middle position (see image in spoiler).  Every one of your ships at range one of Howlrunner gets to reroll one attack die so this lets everyone benefit from her ability.  Space your TIEs with your range ruler at setup.  Measuring outside base edge to outside base edge should be one range unit on your range ruler.  Give your TIEs the same movements to keep them together and try to force a joust (head to head engagement).  After the initial engagement, split your swarm and do your best to keep the injured ones alive and force your opponent to target healthier ships.  You have a potent ace in Omega Leader that you could consider splitting off from your swarm earlier.  Take an evade on your opening move with Omega Leader and then use that evade with Juke and Comm Relay (read up on their abilities and OL's ability so you understand the synergy).

j98upy.jpg

If you find you enjoy flying swarms, you can then upgrade this list to a 'Crackswarm' using the crackshot Elite Pilot Talent down the road.  

empire is imo the most effective starting area

literally all you need are x7 defenders (Imperial Veterans)

they're strong, sturdy, forgiving and super zippy fast (plus they look **** amazing) and they won't overwhelm you with the need to coordinate tons of ships like Tie Fighters do

give them the Tie/x7 title and crackshot out the box and you're good to go, can't get simpler

you got two choices, though

one is you start slower with the EP 7 core set, imp vets and a Tie/Fo pack which gets you

Omega Leader (juke, comm relay) [26] - contents in tie/fo pack

Zeta Leader (wired, weapons guidance) [23]

Epsilon Ace (nada) [17]

Mareek Steele (crackshot, tie/x7) [34] - contents in imp vets

the other is you get two Imp Vets and a Defender expansion, and then either figure out if you can proxy the third crackshot or a Kfighter

Vessery (Crackshot, tie/x7) [34]

Glaive (Crackshot, tie/x7) [33]

they're even all the same PS to give you more maneuver flexibility!

Edited by ficklegreendice

I totally agree about the ABXY suggestion as a teaching tool. It covers all of the basic game mechanics including actions (boost, barrel roll, focus, target lock and evade) and the four 'classic' rebel ships that should be familiar to everyone.

You can also make an Imperial version of the same:

2 x Academy TIE fighters - 24

Saber Squadron Pilot + PTL and Autothrusters - 26

Scimitar Squadron Pilot + Homing Missiles, Seismic Charges and extra munitions - 25

Storm Squadron Pilot + TIE/x1 and Advanced Targeting Computer - 24

Again this provides practice with all the basic actions and the four 'classic' Imperial ships from the films.

There are plenty of variations on both available, and they should make decent match-ups against each other as well, although I'd suggest staying away form the higher PS aces (probably no more than PS6 max).

Edited by Hedgehogmech

Vessery (Crackshot, tie/x7) [34]

they're even all the same PS to give you more maneuver flexibility!

I hadn't thought much about this but it would probably make an excellent starting list. It has some synergy with Vessery, but not so much that it is reliant on it. The x/7 defenders are extremely resiliant with 6 HP behind 3 green dice and (normally) a free evade token.

They are also strong in the meta which will mean you won't feel hopelessly outclassed if your opponent is bringing a competetive list.

I generally recommend that a new player uses lists that are only 3 or 4 ships and all of the same PS.  These lists are easier to fly because you don't have to juggle when each of your individual ships moves and fires.  Keep the list simple and don't start out with too many upgrades. (You'll just end up forgetting you have them your first few games.) 

Rebel ships like the T-70 X-wing are great to start with thanks to their dials (many Imperial ships do not have 1 banks and straights), firepower, and enough shields to survive a mistake.  

First, pick a faction to concentrate on.  Then, pick out some ships you like.  If you feel the need to be competitive, you can look at what other people are running on them, a good way to do that is on list juggler:

http://lists.starwarsclubhouse.com/search

But, you'll likely find that you won't have all the cards.  Don't sweat it.  Just run what you can and experiment with different stuff.

Welcome to the game!  

Finding other players is the first step.  There is usually a regular's night at whatever is your local game/hobby store.  Also, there is often a Facebook page or something where people chat via social media.  I'd try to figure out what that is.  

Just a warning.....some regular X-wing players can be a bit really into the tournament scene and be quite competitive.  Most are really laid back and don't mind helping a new player out.  I'd make sure you tell them you are new and hopefully they won't take a hard tournament list to beat you down.  There is the slight chance that almost all at that game night are real hard core types that don't really want to bother teaching someone to play.  If that's the case, try to find out where else they have game nights and what social media outlet the locals use.  I'm sure there is someone who's not going to mind helping out a new guy. 

There is also the Heroes of the Aturi Cluster campaign that is getting pretty popular.  It's an excellent way to learn to play the game.  It's got missions and story arcs.  You get to develop your character and learn the game all at the same time.  It's co-operative, so you play with other gamers as opposed to against them.

Before going on a shopping spree try to lend and proxy. See what you like. Certain "tournament" are really expensive.

The Aturi Cluster campaign is a good and fun training. However the AI is more resistent to your stress inducing stuff than a human player would be.

Brand new?

Play whatever the hell is your favorite coolest looking ships.

Have fun with it! Lose a bunch of games, learn along the way.

It's possible to be competitive with almost anything in this game with enough practice. So have fun practicing and learning.

When flying the mechanics of the game becomes second nature then you can sweat the whole"min/max squad building stuff.

If your favorite ship is the falcon, fly the falcon. If your favorite ship is a tied fighter, fly those.

Eh sadly not all ships are created equal

Most can be flown competitively in some form, even the games namesake!

For others esp the falcon, the meta has not been kind

Oh how the mighty have fallen.  For years you hear cries of how powerful the Falcon was and how hard it was to play against.  After the various nerf to large ships and turrets along with boosting other ships you hardly ever hear about what was once the go to suggestion for new players.

HSF (Han Shoots First) was a great early squadron.  Start with Han Solo and put a Gunner on him then add a couple X-Wings and you had a very competivite squadron with just three purchases.  Now days things are a lot harder than that.

Personally I cut my teeth on:

Darth Vader (29)
Predator (3)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)
TIE/x1 (0)

Academy Pilot (12)

Academy Pilot (12)

Academy Pilot (12)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

Total: 99

Good squad to play around with, teaches how to play with an ace (Darth Vader) a pocket ace (Omega Leader) and gives you a bit of practice for swarms in the form of the 3 academies.

Also introduces key game concepts like dice modification (and what constitutes it) in the form of OLeader, and how important it is to use the right actions at the right time (Darth).

It's not too complex, but it's complex enough. It's also relatively cheap - Buy an old core set, a TIE Fighter, a TIE/FO, and a TIE Advanced (and proxy the upgrades you don't get with that).
Edited by Stu35

I'd suggest going down the Tie Defender path.

After one of the core sets, all you will need is either, 2 Defender expansions and 1 Imp Vets pack to run a 2x x7 & 1 /d Defender list. Or 1 Defender expansion and 2 Imp Vets to run a triple x7 Defender list.

So initial outlay as far as $$$ is concerned a fair bit lower.

And is a pretty competitive list straight out of the box. Its what one of the players in my local gaming group did once he decided to get in to X-Wing recently.

A great way to learn the game, play a reasonable squad and get the resources you need is:

Core Set, TFA Core Set, TIE Fighter expansion pack, TIE f/o expansion pack.

Now you have dice, templates, damage decks, and 6 TIE Fighters. From there, you use Howlrunner and give her a mini-swarm of like 3-4 guys. The TIE f/o is Omega Leader, who will be put in charge of handling aces. It's not the most competitive TIE Swarm ever, but it's a great way to start the game cheap. You learn to block, fly in formation, all the good stuff.

Academy Pilot (12)

Academy Pilot (12)

Epsilon Squadron Pilot (15)

Epsilon Squadron Pilot (15)

"Howlrunner" (18)
Swarm Tactics (2)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

Total: 100