Sign in to follow this  
Duraham

Attani HLsycks in GENCON 2016

EDIT: This was before the new +1hp fix for the Scyks

Greetings from Singapore! So I brought an extremely weird list to GENCON, and I did pretty well with it. Here's the story:

Tansarii Syck + Attani Mindlink + HLC + title

Tansarii Syck + Attani Mindlink + HLC + title

Manaroo + Title + R5P8 + K4 security + Attani

List Shopping

First, I needed a list. I have a few criteria to meet, namely:

1) The list must be able to defeat Dengaroo fairly easily

2) It must be able to defeat palp aces fairly easily at the same time

3) It must be able to handle 3x uboats

4) I want it to have as much physical bodies as possible, comparable to a 4x T-70 list. (this made it slightly swarm resistant and bad green dice luck resistant)

5) I do not want my opponent to be prepared against it, if possible

Previously, I've had had a lot of success with a double ghost 1 Awing build (2x lothal / autoblast / fcs, 1x Green Awing / predator / juke), getting knocked out of the SG Open semi-finals after drawing into 2 blinded pilot on 2 seperate range 1 5 attack dice TL F situations. However, I discovered the maneuvering weaknesses of that list, and decided not to bring that.

I tried out a Standard Soontir, VI Zeta Leader, adapt Omega Leader, TIEshuttle with both officers + TIEngine. It met all my criteria, but was way too dicey for my liking.

2 uboats + 1 mini party bus could work, but I really didn't want to fly a Hound's Tooth; if it is your last ship and an opponent gets behind you, that's it, you can't do anything about him at all, and it is an instant loss.

Fat chewy + Miranda sabine 3 bombs could work, fat chewy is very strong against dengaroo, and bomb based miranda is very powerful against aces, but if I lost Miranda early against aces, that is an instant GG for me due to the extremely bad matchup that fat chewy has against aces. Same if I had lost chewy early against fat lists or dengaroo, miranda cant dish out enough damage to close the game.

(Wedge / Crackshot / R5X3 / integrated)(Jan Ors / adapt / chopper / dorsal)(Miranda / LRS / Homing M / xtra / ion cannon turret) was my top pick, until I realized that countermeasures can remove TLs. That was that.

So I was down to either palp aces (palpmobile)(maaaaarek TIEdef / calculation / x7)(Vader / ATC / Engine / Lonewolf?? Outmaneuver??) or my attani list. I decided against bringing the palp aces. Too many opponents would be prepared for it, I cant do well against a mirror match that is aimed at killing another palp aces list, and I don't think I could cut it. **if 10 people brought palp aces, roughly 2 will make the cut, 8 will be in the 4w or 3w tier, and 2 will be in the bottom 1w 2w tier. I don't think I'm as good as some of the other palp aces pilots to be able to be one of that 2 guys to make it to the cut**. I still brought that list on standby though, in case I chickened out on my attani list. It is still a palp aces list after all, and the crits ensure that I will have a very good matchup against a dengaroo list.

So why attani? In theory, my HLsycks will end up with TL F F E, which pretty much means that they have soontir's defense + whisper's offense, in one small convenient package. If the 1st HLsyck dies, my 2nd HLsyck can easily replace it, and enjoy the TL F F E as well. When both HLsycks kick the bucket, I would probably have exchanged enough damage with them that I'm in an end-game scenario, and a 3 atk turret ship with TL F every turn, plus a R5P8 to counter enemy aces, should be able to help me easily seal the deal. 2x HLC TL F + 1x 3atk shots will easily wipe any target, be it a F E ace, or a large ship, or biggs R4D6 integrated, and I technically have 4 bodies (1 large ship = 2 small ships) so it fulfills all my criteria.

Moreover, attani based lists aren't well thought out against by the majority of the players. Too many players have the misconception that it is a bad funky list, and feel that it isn't viable. A lot of players also mistakenly think that stress will easily kill off an attani list, and they turn out to be quite wrong about it. (it doesn't even mildly inconvenience an attani player. All he has to do is have any 1 ship do a green maneuver and get a focus token. Without attani, your ships will be doing a white maneuver and taking a focus action anyway, so there's no difference whatsoever. Sure, you lose your 2nd action, but so what? no biggie).

That said, I was still very shaky about bringing that list after much discussion with my fellow SIngapore Xwing community (they all agreed they wouldn't bring the attani list to such a large tournament), so I was having doubts about bringing it. Time for a quick detour!

**Im terribly sorry I dont remember your names, I remembered your amazing lists and the great games we had together**

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Family Time Games GENCON warmup tournament:

[round 1] (brobots CB mirror, HLC / crack / glitterstim / title / fcs)

win 100-27

I setup in the middle, with my HLsycks flanking Manaroo on both the left and right. My opponent setup his brobots side by side on the left corner (from my POV). I went slow with my leftmost HLsyck and faster with my rightmost HLsyck to do an enveloping sweep. His brobots proceeded slowly. On the first combat engagement, his inner brobot scratched my leftmost HLsyck with his HLC crackshot. HLC HLC manaroo 3 atk punched the lights out of that same brobot, and it is down to 2-3 hull left. The outer brobot was just out of range to take part. On the next turn, his outer brobot had problems turning in to engage and thus didnt have any targets within his line of sight. I bump his inner brobot with my damaged syck. while my rightmost syck was just out of the arc of both brobots. I punched the damaged brobot with a HLC TL F and a range 1 manaroo 4atk, and now we are down to 1 brobot vs a full 100pt list. Lots of chasing, flying and random k4s later, I took out the last brobot after losing the damaged HLsyck.

[round 2](7x academy TIE, youngster rage)

win 100-27

My opponent setup his TIE swarm together in a large 2x4 rectangle on the left side of the board. I counter-deployed on the right side and went slow towards the middle. As he did a hard 3 into a forward 5 towards the right of the board, I made attempts to feint an advance towards the right of the board (bank right to feint, then I did a hard 1 left on the next turn). I spread out my ships to force the TIE swarm to either split up or pin down 1 target, with Manaroo circling up the left side of the board as fast as she could. My opponent decided to rush an engagement through the asteroids, and pushed his way into the middle of the board. With my higher PS, I took out 2 TIEs on the first engagement through HLC TL F. My rightmost HLsyck got pinned by 4 raging TIEs and got whittled down to 1 hp. From that point on, I dropped 1 TIE every turn with HLC TL F + manaroo's 3 atk dice, while he tore apart my rightmost HLsyck. Afterwards, I dropped a TIE every round, and very soon the TIE swarm didnt have enough TIEs left to function.

[round 3](attani? Zuckass / Mist Hunter / Tractor Beam / 4lom crew)(attani? Palob tlt)(attani? manaroo with guidance chips and torps and stuff)

loss

I attempted a more cautious approach, due to his tractor beam. One good tractor beam hit and my HLsyck could end up on a rock and be unable to fire. I did the middle deployment with both HLsycks flanking manaroo, he deployed clustered up on the left corner. I approached in a similar fashion as round 1. During the first engagement, my rightmost syck was out of range of his Zuckass after he did a barrel roll, and my leftmost syck got demolished by a normal shot from Zuckass + a torp from the uboat. The following round was messy with a lot of bumps, and my HLsyck ended up tokenless after having his one F get stolen by palob. It died very quickly, and only Manaroo was left. I had my manaroo try and take out his injured palob asap, but didnt make it before getting decorated by Zuckass.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, so with 2 convincing wins, and a loss (it's not like I'd meet that exact same list, right?), I was feeling pretty confident with this list. Off to GENCON!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GENCON 2016

[round 1](Dash / marksmanship / HLC donut / merc copilot)(standard VI? Corran)

win

Great! I lost 2015's GENCON to 3 Dash Corran lists in a row, and I'm not very keen to let history repeat itself. I deployed in the middle with my HLsycks flanking manaroo. My opponent deployed corran on the extreme left, dash on the extreme right.

I went straight up, and TL F F E my right HLsyck. Dash fired a marksman-ed HLC shot into that HLsyck, dealing it 2 hits 2 crits. Wow that really is scary! My HLsyck agreed and rolled 3 blanks, and that was 1 HLsyck gone on the very first combat round. Manaroo returned fire but missed. Left HLsyck and corran are out of range of each other. Yay, I'm gonna lose to another Corran Dash, just like last year.

On the next round, my remaining HLsyck TL F F E while manaroo turned right to have a little 1v1 with Dash to buy some time. I lucked out as my opponent's corran rolled complete blanks against a HLC string of 4 hits. My HLsyck took no damage from corran's 1st and 2nd shots due to the faux soontir's F F E defense. With the change in the battle situation, I had manaroo return to the left side of the board to pin down corran's escape options, while my HLsyck k5ed behind corran and started chasing him down. 2 turns and some shield regen later, and corran was gone. My opponent arrived with Dash, and remembering the success against the 1st HLsyck, hammered relentlessly at the 2nd HLsyck, but could not quite punch through the F E 3 green dice defense. Luckily sycks have shield s ! The game ended rather quickly after a lot of combined HLC and manaroo range 1 shots.

Glad that's not a repeat of last year.

[round 2](Standard Soontir)(OMG shuttle / palp / jammer)(standard TIEinq)

win

My opponent did a standard shuttle deployment on the right, I counter-deployed on the extreme left with both sycks on manaroo's left. Soontir deployed just in front of me, TIEinq deployed with the shuttle. I made my way towards the middle, eventually having a syck on both manaroo's left and right flanks, while my opponent castled his shuttle and have soontir hard 1 towards the center of the board.

His TIEinq engaged my group alone, and dealt quite a good punch to manaroo while escaping unscathed. I swung right to answer the Inquisitor's inquisitive inquisition, while preparing to shield my manaroo from Soontir's next turn's attack by placing a rock on manaroo's left.

I then had my entire group turn my attention onto soontir. Manaroo did a hard left 2 onto the rock to attempt to block soontir's forward 4 move, while both HLsycks picked up a TL F on soontir. Soontir did do a forward 4 into manaroo (just as planned), but due to some turbulence with the uneven table surface, a judge was called in and ruled as a clear move. Soontir did a barrel roll left to attempt to escape, but decided against is and went for a range 1 exchange against my leftmost syck. My syck survived with 1 shield gone, my right syck punched out soontir's tokens with a HLC TL F, while my range 1 syck did an exchange that knocked off his stealth and gave him a damaged sensor array.

Soontir escaped by my left, while both the shuttle and the TIEinq came in to rescue him. Manaroo and right HLsyck went after the shuttle head on, while TIEinq pinged down my right HLsyck. I had my left HLsyck kturn to pressure Soontir. With attani's extra focus, my attacks were not hindered by the shuttle's jammer, and I took out the shuttle in 2 combat turns. My right HLsyck got whittled down to 1 hp by both the TIEinq and the shuttle, and is forced to escape by turning right. Manaroo trapped the TIEinq with a bump later in the game, and a good HLC shot took him down to 1 hp left.

Soon, the game evolved into a hot pursuit, where my 2hp HLsyck was chasing down 1hp soontir trying to chase down my 1hp HLsyck who is running after a 1hp TIEinq who is gunning after my 2nd HLsyck, while manaroo was stuck in the middle unable to keep up with the high speed battles. The game ended with time being called, and manaroo down to half mov.

[round 3](mini PS2 partybus)(mini PS3 mist hunter / zuckass crew?)(manaroo / torp etcetc)

win

So much for not meeting the list that defeated me in the mini tournament! Although it is not the exact same list, this is close enough. My opponent deployed on the extreme left, with his manaroo nearer towards the middle. I counter-deployed on the extreme right, with manaroo in the middle and both sycks on the right of my manaroo. We both cautiously approached the middle of the table, with me repositioning one of my HLsycks to my manaroo's left. On the first engagement, I vaporized his mist hunter with HLC HLC Manaroo, while he traded a HLsyck with the partybus. My manaroo went for a lot of range 1 engagements against his manaroo in an attempt to dodge his torps, and with the help of the surviving HLsyck, his manaroo went down pretty quickly, but not before taking my HLsyck down with it. My shieldless manaroo then jousted for position against the unmolested partybus, and once I maneuvered my manaroo behind the partybus, the game was over, with me pinging at it for 1 damage every turn (i was stressed and had to continuously perform white maneuvers to stay behind it, out of its firing arc)

[round 4](standard dengaroo)

win

A very fast match that played out exactly as I expected. I deployed in the middle with my HLsycks on manaroo's sides (to avoid being counter-deployed), my opponent had dengar in the middle and his manaroo on the extreme right facing inwards. Dengar comes in, gets knocked around by my HLC HLC range 1 manaroo, discovers he has 3 hp left and decides to make a run for it. Manaroo comes in, gets violently manhandled by HLC HLC manaroo, let off a torp on my manaroo, ate 2 HLCs next turn and promptly disappeared. 1 HLsyck died while trying to get my list pointed back at dengar. I think dengar eventually died from my R5P8.

[round 5](lothal ghost / autoblaster / fcs / zeb)(lothal ghost / autoblast / fcs / chopper)(Ywing R4D6 autoblast)

lose

Hey that's my old list! (except the Awing was replaced by a Ywing). My opponent deployed on the extreme right, I counter-deployed on the extreme left. I zoomed straight ahead with manaroo and a HLsyck, while my other HLsyck crept around the bottom towards the right side. My opponent opted for a slow approach with forward 1s for 3 consecutive turns. I swung into the middle of the map on the exact same turn he decided to gun for it with a easy 3 bank inwards, and I have shots on his inner ghost. HLC HLC manaroo got 1 ghost down to 4 hp left, while he missed his attacks against a TL F F E syck. However, on the next turn, the damaged ghost survived manaroo's range 1 shot, and together with the Ywing took out 1 HLsyck via autoblaster shots. My other HLsyck sliced off a decent chunk of the other ghost before it got taken out in the same way. Soon, it was down to a full hp manaroo vs a 1hp left ghost, a 7-8 hp left ghost and an shieldless Ywing. I assumed wrongly that he would be flying his ghost in the same way I fly mine (lots of bumps to hold position, similar to lambda shuttles), and I opted for a move that would get me out of a range 1 exchange in that situation. Instead, he went for a hard turn 2 and had a range 1 5 attack dice exchange with my manaroo. OUCH! R5P8 refused to trigger the entire game, and 3 or 4 more such situations of mis-guessing my opponent's moves ensured that victory went to him.

In hindsight, I could have easily won this duel, had I kept my cool. I was rushing my moves due to how slow my opponent played, and that really put me on tilt. I'm a naturally fast player, with most of my casual games around 15min to 25min, and I must admit that I was seriously frustrated with the amount of time my opponent took for every single move. Oh how I wish my next opponent would play much faster.

[round 6](standard OL + stealth)(Ryad Juke x7)(Vessery Juke x7)

win

Be careful what you wish for! My opponent was so much faster than me that I felt breathless trying to keep up with his pace. I deployed on the extreme right, my opponent deployed in a single file abreast, with OL nearer towards me, Vessery on the left and Ryad in the middle. My opponent went for forward 5 with both TIEdef, trying to get them behind my group. I curved inwards, managing to just get in range to tap Ryad with the tip of my range rule to nab TL F for both my HLsycks. OL comes in and takes a shot at manaroo. I decided to gamble, and have my HLsycks fire at OL instead of Ryad. The first HLC took out OL's evade and stealth, the 2nd HLC took him out. Wow that was fast!

Ryad takes a shot at manaroo and gets R5P8ed. HLC punched Ryad's tokens out to deal a nett 0 damage, 2nd HLC went in against 3 blanks/focuses to deal 4 damage, and manaroo finished Ryad off with her own shot. Vessery tries to come in and save Ryad, gets blocked by a syck and ends up landing on an asteroid, taking 1 damage. HLC + Manaroo range 1 meant the end of the game.

In 7 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So that's 5win and 1 loss, putting me at 12th out of 164 on Thursday, and 19th overall with both flights combined. USING 2 SYCKS!!!

On to the graduated cut!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[round 7](RAC / adapt / palp / engine / rebel captive )(standard whisper / no crew?)

win

Easily my most difficult opponent so far. I deployed on the extreme left, while he counter-deployed on the extreme right. We danced around for a very long time, until I decided to take a risk and start a fight by willingly entering the heavily clustered middle. His RAC boosted down the length of my deployment zone to challenge manaroo, while whisper was still trying to get a good entry approach. Manaroo traded, and proved to him that attanis arent bothered by stress. I had both HLsycks go after whisper, and my opponent swung RAC upwards to answer my attacks. Manaroo was chasing RAC from her position at the middle left portion of the map. I adjusted my offensive approach and diverted 1 HLsyck to take 2 bites off RAC, while my other HLsyck had a small range 1 1v1 with whisper to keep him away from RAC. The HLsyck that went after RAC died horribly, and my other HLsyck died very quickly within the next 3 rounds after attempting some escape maneuvers and found itself pinned down by a whisper doing a k turn. Manaroo traded RAC for that syck, and we are down to a shieldless Manaroo vs a shieldless whisper.

I swung manaroo into whisper, aiming to have him bump me every single round until I could get into a position to fire at him from behind. A miscalculated move ended up with whisper blasting manaroo down to 1 hp left, with a weapons failure attached. I continued fighting and bumping for that position, until the turn where my opponent did a wrong decloak, and had to choose between cloak or a defensive token. My opponent went for the cloak, knowing that a decloak + kturn followup would finish off manaroo. Manaroo fired off a range 1 3 attack TL F shot at whisper, who konked out on his green dice. That was the closest fight so far.

Having Frank Brooks spectating the match didnt make things any better. That was quite a "notice me sempai!" moment.

[round 8](khyros's biggs + kanan)

loss

I was completely stunned by khyros' list making it this far. Back in my community, we pretty much agreed that ghost + phantom docked on was not playable for the points spent, and similar lists had zero success even in casual games against joke lists like TIEinterdictors or 3 Awings.

Having no prior experience against similar lists, I have no idea how to tackle this opponent. I know for a fact that my HLsycks are very vulnerable against tlts, and I would want to trade them asap for as much damage as possible, hence I did not bother with the TL F F E combo for this game. I dove right in with both HLsycks TL F-ing his ghost that happened to just slip into pewpew range , but only managed to strip off its shields after rolling 2x 3hits against his 2x1evade through a rock. The double tlt shot took out 1 syck straight away, and we are off to the next round. Biggs came in, ate HLC and manaroo but survived that pretty well. Meanwhile, Manaroo was getting hammered hard by the tlt shots. I attempted a double bump with both my HLsyck and Manaroo to avoid the tlts, and traded range 1 shots with biggs. Biggs got down to 1 hp, but took out manaroo in that same turn. My last syck got hit by a primary rear arc attack after a k-turn to get behind biggs. I did a hard 1 to catch biggs and took him out via simul fire, after I got vaporized by the ghost's tlt.

I was racking my brains, thinking about how i could have approached this game differently. It will be a uphill battle, given the PS simul fire and R4D6's protection against HLCs, but I think it could have been a closer fight had I waited for Biggs to be in range of my entire list before I strike.

[round 9](brobot CB / HLC + fcs + crackshot/ Mangler + ptl advanced sensors / glitterstim / autothrusters)

loss

Well, if I cant get top 8, let's aim for top 16!

And I just have to meet a brobot list at this stage in the competition. My opponent is extremely talented at piloting his brobot list, and I cant help but feel jealous of his skills. He sent the PTL brobot in first, which soaked up 1 HLC shot and 1 manaroo shot for 1-2 damage, while keeping out of range of my other HLsyck. A HLC crackshot ensured the OHKO of my 1st HLsyck, while my other HLsyck died from a major explosion dealt by the Mangler cannon in the same turn. Manaroo put up a fierce fight and got 1 brobot down to 2-3 hull, and he swapped it out for the other brobot. I managed to get that other brobot down to 1 shield remaining before manaroo runs out of hp and throws in the towel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So that's 34 out of 64 on the 3rd day. Definitely using the 19th position picture for bragging rights XD. Hey, that's not too bad for a list featuring 2 of the lousiest ships in Star Wars Uboat Miniatures.

So it is with renewed confidence that I marched back to my local FLGS, attani HLscyks in hand, itching to play more Xwing, ready to fight off a couple of friends who have requested to test their stronger lists against it.

And I lost all my games against them.

Maybe it is time to take a break from this list.

Time for a competitive TIE interdictor list.

Just joking!

Edited by Duraham

Thanks. Very nice write-up!

Can I check my understanding of how you use this list?

In order to get TL F F E on one Scyk, do you:

Evade on the first Scyk

Focus on the second Scyk (get F E on the first one)

Get TL F from Manaroo

That leaves you with one Scyk with TL F F E, but the other one only got F?

Thanks

Evade on the first Scyk

Get TL F from Manaroo

Thanks

I'd say both scyks evade, and it's Manny who gets a Tl from K4 and focuses. At the start of the combat phase manny passes the focus and TL to the "shooty" scyk, and also aquires her focus back. That's what I understood by watching the videos.

Evade on the first Scyk

Get TL F from Manaroo

Thanks

Manaroo does a green move and redeems a free TL

Manaroo does a F, everyone gets F

Syck1 now has a F. Does a move, picks up an E

Syck2 can either take his own TL or E, depending on the situation.

Manaroo transfers her TL F to Syck1, which now have TL F F E

Manaroo gets F from attani after the transfer

When playing normally, determine which Syck is most in danger of getting shot to bits, and TL F F E that syck. When going for the kill, Manaroo does a green, gets her own TL, do an F. Both Sycks do TL. Do not transfer anything. Now you have TL F on all 3

Thanks: makes perfect sense (sorry, I got confused I hadn't seen that Manaroo had mindlink which, again, makes totally sense).

I'm definitively going to try this as I've never played Syck yet and have 2 of them taking dust :)

This list and report are awesome.  I've always sort of liked the HLC Scyks in theory, I just don't own any.  It's great to see how they work.  Is there anything you would think about cutting to get a defensive mod on one or both Scyks?  With potential Evade/Focus/Focus either Hull Upgrade or Stealth Device could be solid additions.

I've tried out hull upgrade on both HLsycks, but it doesnt prolong their deaths that much that they could get another shot off, due to their low PS. Play with the idea that the sycks will definitely die at some point in time, so aim to get the maximum trade out of them. When 1 syck dies, you best ensure that he took out 2/3rds of a dengaroo or a soontir fel with him

Also, manaroo is your endgame keystone of the entire list. Taking off k4 security means you cant pull off TL F F E effectively, and R5P8 is essential in dealing with aces, and also means that you dont have to waste a HLC shot against a 1hp target, when that same shot could go into another target

[round 8](khyros's biggs + kanan)

loss

I was completely stunned by khyros' list making it this far. Back in my community, we pretty much agreed that ghost + phantom docked on was not playable for the points spent, and similar lists had zero success even in casual games against joke lists like TIEinterdictors or 3 Awings.

Having no prior experience against similar lists, I have no idea how to tackle this opponent. I know for a fact that my HLsycks are very vulnerable against tlts, and I would want to trade them asap for as much damage as possible, hence I did not bother with the TL F F E combo for this game. I dove right in with both HLsycks TL F-ing his ghost that happened to just slip into pewpew range , but only managed to strip off its shields after rolling 2x 3hits against his 2x1evade through a rock. The double tlt shot took out 1 syck straight away, and we are off to the next round. Biggs came in, ate HLC and manaroo but survived that pretty well. Meanwhile, Manaroo was getting hammered hard by the tlt shots. I attempted a double bump with both my HLsyck and Manaroo to avoid the tlts, and traded range 1 shots with biggs. Biggs got down to 1 hp, but took out manaroo in that same turn. My last syck got hit by a primary rear arc attack after a k-turn to get behind biggs. I did a hard 1 to catch biggs and took him out via simul fire, after I got vaporized by the ghost's tlt.

I was racking my brains, thinking about how i could have approached this game differently. It will be a uphill battle, given the PS simul fire and R4D6's protection against HLCs, but I think it could have been a closer fight had I waited for Biggs to be in range of my entire list before I strike.

Haha, I'm happy to see that you had the same exact reaction to seeing me across the table as I did when seeing you.  Syck's aren't competitive, everyone knows that!  I suppose I did have some experience with them though as I helped Rinehart practice mindlink Sycks (not HLC though) in preparation for the Courscant invitational.

Really I don't think there's much you could have done differently - it's a horrible matchup for you.  Though reading through the rest of your matches, I might question if turtling up would have helped more.  You're going to be doing damage to my list pretty much regardless of what you roll.  With FFE, it's unlikely that I hit you 3 out of 4 times with TLT.  Even if you're left with 1 hull, it means another round of not only shooting at me, but also one more set of TLTs on your weakened ship.  And then the end round I don't have the TL to modify my shot on your 2nd Syck (or Manaroo as I went for her second, but that was position based, I would have preferred to kill both Syck's first).

I'm not sure that engaging Biggs is the best answer, but engaging with all of your ships at once for sure is required, Manaroo wasn't present in the initial engagement.  I don't know, maybe engaging biggs would be the right answer.  Manny plus 3 HLCs could probably wipe him off the board, freeing you up to take an HLC and manny shot on Kanan the 2nd round (or maybe just Manny since I wiped the first Syck in the opening round).  

But after all that theory crafting, quad TLT shots against your 3health 3agi ships is just not a good matchup.  

Well, Manaroo was out of TL range on the 1st enagement, so the HLsycks had to manually TL your ghost. I did bring Manaroo's F over for a TLFF, but maybe a FFE could have given me an extra HLC shot on the next round, which doesnt change anything.

Plus, you could simply tlt the other HLsyck that didnt have TLFFE.

I did try to make you fire at manaroo while I get to work on Biggs (yay my strategy worked), but I didnt really expect Manaroo to take that much damage that quickly.

Edited by Duraham

Hmm, you've got cojones to field 3 hp ships with neither autothrusters nor palp. I'm impressed.

The only thing I don't quite get is how you managed to get TLs vs higher PS ships in your initial engagements. Didn't all the aces and brobots enter your range after you made your move? Or did they just make the mistake of letting you get in range and TL at will?

1) know the distance by heart. The entire range 3 is exactly 7.5 units, with 1 unit = 1 small base

2) i like to end up just outside range 3 first, then on the next turn move in slightly to just tap your ship's base with the tip of my range ruler to get that TL

3) for really long TLs, manaroo rushes in with a green move, then the sycks float in from behind. At this point in time, the HLsycks may still be out of range, but manaroo already has a TL on your target. Your target now has to move forward, so he will enter the range of your HLsyck. Transfer the TL over and it is done. It is quite common to get Manaroo range 1, HLsyck range 3 situations

4) use a combination of both tactics to let both HLsycks get a TL F on the target. My 2nd opponent's soontir is a great example. My left syck just tapped his soontir with the range ruler to get a TL, my right syck is actually completely out of range, but manaroo has a TL on the target, so she transfers it over later

The more interesting thing would be planning out Manaroo's move; you need her to curl anticlockwise into the battle to trigger K4 security every turn, and that i find much more challenging to do

Edited by Duraham

3hp no thrusters no palp is okay, PTL TIEint were doing so well without them anyway, back in the good old wave 3 days. And they were up against things like wedge PTL R2astro or Bwings HLC FCS.

Thrusters and palp makes it easier, but they really arent that important, compared to good old F E tokens. If I really konk out on my green dice, I still have a spare syck

Edited by Duraham

I've tried out hull upgrade on both HLsycks, but it doesnt prolong their deaths that much that they could get another shot off, due to their low PS. Play with the idea that the sycks will definitely die at some point in time, so aim to get the maximum trade out of them. When 1 syck dies, you best ensure that he took out 2/3rds of a dengaroo or a soontir fel with him

Also, manaroo is your endgame keystone of the entire list. Taking off k4 security means you cant pull off TL F F E effectively, and R5P8 is essential in dealing with aces, and also means that you dont have to waste a HLC shot against a 1hp target, when that same shot could go into another target

Okay, that makes sense. The Scyks are basically shaping the battle to usher Manaroo into the end-game.

I'm still baffled that you managed to beat crack shot/ FCS / glitter brobots. In theory B's ability combined with crack shots should ensure one scyk goes down before he even fires. Also, since he knows which IG you have locked, he should be able to glit your alpha away. You must have done some real positioning magic to survive this and win.

Bascially, because he deployed side by side with his brobots, i attacked from the side. His outer brobot couldnt do a hard turn inwards to face me due to him bumping either his own inner brobot or into me. Hence, he couldnt get both brobots to pin down 1 target. (With the brobots, the amount of distance the firing arc jumps forward by makes them extremely bad at close up melee range fights.) I also used my damaged syck to bump to avoid getting shot at, and a 5 Kturn next turn meant that the brobots couldnt shoot at it, or a 3 kturn meant that you had to kturn to answer my range 3 shot at you.

Manaroo range1 TL F helped a lot too, the damage just kept going in.

Edited by Duraham

Hi,

First off, congratulations on a great report,

I have a question though, in your pre tourney musings, you mention a combination of fat chewy and 3 bomb miranda.

My question to you is, how would you equip a fat chewy, personally i would offensively go for gunner, predator and engine upgrade,

but there are also defensive more builds with C-3PO, falcon title etc.

Also why is fat chewy so good against dengaroo.

greetings

Chewy / predator / luke skywalker / MF title / C3P0

Miranda / sabine / net / prox / seismic / xtra muni / adv SLAM / no turrets

-=-=-=-=-=-

Fat chewy is good because with evade c3p0, you only take 1 dmg max every turn, and zuckass doesnt work on you. Yes, he takes only 1 dmg from you too, but he has 9 hp and you have 13. You can crit him (and he cant clear it), but he cant crit you. And if he wants to bring you down, he needs to drag manaroo along, which screws up his lonewolf

Edited by Duraham

Thanks again Duraham for posting, I played a version of your list night against triple Jumpmasters and it more than held it's own. I changed a few things so that, a) I wasn't totally ripping you off, b) I got to use my G1A.

I used:
Manaroo, Unhinged, K4, P1, Mindlink

Zuckuss, Mindlink

Tansarii PV, HS, HLC, Mindlink

It was really fun and I'll probably use this at a summer kit tourney this weekend.

I think in your list R5-P8 helps a lot with sneaky aces, and I miss that. But I like Zuckuss.

Those range 1 5 dice fully modded shots from Z are really nice. The mindlink/Manaroo combo is awesome as Zuckuss can K turn, but still end up with a TL and 2 focus by the time he comes to shoot!

Looking forward to wave 9 and seeing where I can fit Fenn Rau or Old Teroch in this list.

But so much more fun though right?

Getting 7 actions per turn with 3 ships and being able to choose where you stack them is incredible flexibility.

Plus, everyone expects it to be terrible.