Sign in to follow this  
DonnieDarkside

IMP aces with Inquisitor

Whichever one you like.

Personally, I'd drop Omega Leader since he's over-rated, and that would allow you to run Vader, Fel and Inqy as a '3 flankers' style of list (OL can't do that)

?

OL is the ideal flanker, given that he only ever wants to be shot at by a single ship at any one time.

SOLV served me well in the past but I ended up replacing Vader with Carnor in the current meta, then giving it up all together because it's too green-dicey.

I've run the following a few times:

Vader (Veteran Instincts, x1 title, Advanced Targeting Computer, Engine Upgrade)

Inquisitor (Push the Limit, v1 title, Proton Rockets, Autothrusters)

Omega Leader (Juke, Comm Relay, Stealth Device)

98 points

It can be solid. Another option is to put Proton Rockets on Vader too and switch to Adaptability (instead of VI) for 100 points total. Like many Imperial lists without Palpatine, the green dice need to be there for you though.

?

OL is the ideal flanker, given that he only ever wants to be shot at by a single ship at any one time.

SOLV served me well in the past but I ended up replacing Vader with Carnor in the current meta, then giving it up all together because it's too green-dicey.

I'll assume you don't know what the '3 flankers' list is.  Classically, it was 3 interceptors all with push the limit.  Now adays, it can be any 3 ships that can perform 2 actions (including boost + BR).  Omega Leader built with Juke + Comms cannot do that.

The reason OL doesn't work well with this type of list is because if you approach the enemy from 3 directions (the typical strategy of a 3 flankers list), you won't know which ship your opponent is gunning for until the turn that he reveals his dials and moves his ships into shooting range.  If he turns all of his ships to face Omega Leader, then OL is less capable at avoiding concentrated fire, and therefore doesn't really work with this type of strategy (because you don't want one of your ships potentially obliterated on the first turn of shooting).

Inqy, Vader and Fel on the other hand can all avoid concentrated fire much better and therefore can operate independently without as much risk of losing a ship early on.

Edited by blade_mercurial

I'm aware of the concept, thanks.

OL fits into the concept fine - its just that if he is the one on whom there is focus fire, one of the focus firers... fails.  And if the others focus on him, then he can usually mitigate that by having, effectively, PTL to use an evade token every turn, from Comm Relay... And the other two should be able to capitalise.

In the current meta, none of thse ships can reliably say they can operate without risk of an early loss.  Dengaroo and torpscouts are horrible for low-hull ships.

Edited by thespaceinvader

I'm aware of the concept, thanks.

OL fits into the concept fine - its just that if he is the one on whom there is focus fire, one of the focus firers... fails.  And if the others focus on him, then he can usually mitigate that by having, effectively, PTL to use an evade token every turn, from Comm Relay... And the other two should be able to capitalise.

In the current meta, none of thse ships can reliably say they can operate without risk of an early loss.  Dengaroo and torpscouts are horrible for low-hull ships.

Not in my experience.  If an entire list shoots up Omega Leader, he is generally a goner unless your opponent rolls really bad or has a low firepower list to begin with.  His ability is good certainly, but only protects him from one ship (and assumes that the dice don't get lucky and roll all hits despite his ability, which sometimes happens).

The other ships have appreciably less risk of getting removed early on because they are much better at getting out of firing arcs than Omega Leader.   Being able to kite via boost makes a huge difference...

Personally, I find OL to be unreliable without Palp behind him.

When he works, he's great. But if he's rolling 1 blank 1 hit when/if he has a shot, it can be a lot of dead weight.

Unless he's going against something with 4 or more agility or a lot of luck, 1b1h will usually result in a hit going through, on average.  Average roll on 3 dice is evade, eye, blank.  He knocks the evade over.

And that's saying nothing of 1- or 2-agi ships.

Personally, I find OL to be unreliable without Palp behind him.

When he works, he's great. But if he's rolling 1 blank 1 hit when/if he has a shot, it can be a lot of dead weight.

Unless he's going against something with 4 or more agility or a lot of luck, 1b1h will usually result in a hit going through, on average.  Average roll on 3 dice is evade, eye, blank.  He knocks the evade over.

And that's saying nothing of 1- or 2-agi ships.

Sure, if you're shooting at Inquisitor, have a Focus, evade, and TL - then ya, you're going to deal on average 1.2 damage per shot. Without the Focus, it drops to 0.75.

And that's what I mean, you need to have optimal conditions and have the ace in arc - only to deal 1.2 damage on average. We all know conditions are usually not optimal. Maybe you burned the focus on defense, maybe the target you have TL'd has evaded your arc. Even if we assume that you have optimal conditions 50% of the time, that averages at 0.98 damage per shot against 3-agi targets. To me, at least, that's just not great. Palp makes Omega far more valuable because of the crits being pushed through.

And aces are one of his ideal matchups. If you're up against Ghosts, Triple Scouts, etc. those 26-points for 2 dice is pretty rough.

This is coming from someone who ran a ton of OL without Palp and had some really disappointing games with him.

You're paying for more than just 2 attack dice though.  You're paying to block virtually every offensive modification against you - I've had OL tank 3 scout torpedoes before just by only being shot at by one of them at a time, because when they're rolling 4 dice and getting two hits (and using mods to get the other two) the latter bit just fails.

He's tricky to fly, but very rewarding, and hyper-efficient in terms of points per unit scariness-to-enemy.