Sign in to follow this  
dewbie420

Did FFG give up on the Dual Card?

The Uwing since its S-foils design radically changes what it does (supposedly) i could see a dualsided title.

In its "transport" mode, it becomes a very slow-speed orientated ship capable of "hovering" in place at the cost of agility (since its seen doing chinook type work it doesnt make sense that it wouldnt be able to stand still multiple turns). 

In its "gunship" mode, it becomes high-speed ship rivaling the intercepter, awing, and fang's dial and gains bonus agility. Not sure what would be a good penalty for this mode though

Action to flip between the modes. Probably should slap in some "Cannot be assigned X maneuver" on the modes, since even if its red a super fast ship having a speed1 straight is just...wat? lol

Lets this ship switch on the fly between a pretty dang fast ship

i could easily concoct what im talking about with mock dials but i dont know how to make those things plus i dont really see a point in spelling out the details in an idea on these forums lol

Edited by Vineheart01

The Uwing since its S-foils design radically changes what it does (supposedly) i could see a dualsided title.

In its "transport" mode, it becomes a very slow-speed orientated ship capable of "hovering" in place at the cost of agility (since its seen doing chinook type work it doesnt make sense that it wouldnt be able to stand still multiple turns). 

In its "gunship" mode, it becomes high-speed ship rivaling the intercepter, awing, and fang's dial and gains bonus agility. Not sure what would be a good penalty for this mode though

Action to flip between the modes. Probably should slap in some "Cannot be assigned X maneuver" on the modes, since even if its red a super fast ship having a speed1 straight is just...wat? lol

i could easily concoct what im talking about with mock dials but i dont know how to make those things plus i dont really see a point in spelling out the details in an idea on these forums lol

Interesting thought would be a title that one side let you move as normal on your dial, and the other made your reds green and your greens red.  You'd have to design the dial carefully (include green 1s and red 3s, basically), but it would give an interesting variation between slow speed slowrolling support ship and high speed gunship.

E: actually the more I think about it the more this gels nicely with my ideas for the U wing.  You give it the above title and 3 crew slots, plus two special arcs on the sides of the base, leaving only the rear un-arced.  Then when it's in slowroll mode, you can assign a side-arc token per equipped crew upgrade, allowing you to fire out of the side arcs, but this option is disabled when it's in fast mode.

Edited by thespaceinvader

Interesting thought would be a title that one side let you move as normal on your dial, and the other made your reds green and your greens red.  You'd have to design the dial carefully (include green 1s and red 3s, basically), but it would give an interesting variation between slow speed slowrolling support ship and high speed gunship.

E: actually the more I think about it the more this gels nicely with my ideas for the U wing.  You give it the above title and 3 crew slots, plus two special arcs on the sides of the base, leaving only the rear un-arced.  Then when it's in slowroll mode, you can assign a side-arc token per equipped crew upgrade, allowing you to fire out of the side arcs, but this option is disabled when it's in fast mode.

Might just be easier to have two separate dials for each mode

Might just be easier to have two separate dials for each mode

Or that, but it would add to the amount of cardboard.  Alternatively you have an all-white dial and just say that all 1 speed manoeuvres cause/relieve one stress and all 3+ speed manoeuvres cause/relieve 1 stress depending on the card's facing.  Means it doesn't have any reds (unless you give it a red 0-stop), technically, but that shouldn't necessarily be a problem - you just price it as if it had a free Hera crew.

Rebels could definitely use some kind of Dual Card to help them out with the dual Palp Aces / Toilet Seat Party meta. Maybe something like Snap Shot could be used.

Snap Shot (3):

Side A: Regular snap shot.

Side B: Cancel torpedo results with a successful [hit] or [crit] roll on one die, instead of rolling evades.

Edited by Lampyridae

No specific card type for the next two waves...so what?

It was a NEW thing and then YES...then the next 2 waves without it. That's what.

So, to ask my question again, and to be more specific, did YOU hate it or like it? (Dual card mechanic)

Why hate? it's simple.

but alas, a huge HUGE chunk of possibility is missing. flipping card on a trigger, with actions on it, different effects, anything!

even re-loadable missiles, Khaine dаmn it!

I like the concept, but I think the problem is the vast majority of people are taking it because it's the only free ept, and also is cheaper than VI.

I've only had one game I think where someone used it to lower ps, and only because my ships were all generics and it gave their ships matching ps for more options during the game.

So going forward, regardless of the cost, it should have 2 options that are both equally appealing.

I think a fun mod/ept one would be:

Side A

Increase your attack value by 1 and decrease your agility value by 1.

Side B

Increase your agility value by 1 and decrease your attack value by 1.

Cost: 2 or 3 maybe.

So if you're facing a list with mainly high agility and low attack like a tie swarm you'd want side A. Or if you're facing the opposite like 4 bwings you'd want side B.

Expose costs an action and only raises attack by lowering agility. So this EPT would be worlds better, cheaper, and more useful. Never gonna happen.

Expose is also a mathematically terrible card as it costs an action and taking either a focus or TL are almost always better options, and free to boot. The only potential exception being RAC with EI who gets a free minifocus, can TL then use EI to expose, and doesn't have any agility to lose. And even then you're better off with one of several other EPTs, like predator, for less points... So virtually any card that is balanced would be both better and more useful.

I do think the card as proposed is highly unlikely. For one I'd bet on it being an X-wing or U-wing only card and not something that could be dropped on anything. Also I'd say it's far more likely to have a major effect like +1 green -1 red on one side an a minor if any effect on the other rather than a major effect on both sides. But it won't be because it's hemmed in by expose.

Reinforced Deflectors

Modification 5 pts.

​Dual Card

Side A

​Action: Flip this card over

When defending, if the attacker is inside your firing arc you may spend a shield token to cancel 2 uncanceled hit or crit results.

Side B

Action: Flip this card over

When defending, if the attacker is outside of your firing arc you may discard this card to cancel 1 uncanceled hit or crit result

Maybe make it rebel only because its basically designed to help out jousters with shields like the B-wing and X-wing

Edited by KommanderKeldoth

I like Adaptability and like some of the ideas I've seen for more dual cards, specifically some of the ideas for cards that flip in-game. They could be finished but I think that Wave 10 could still be a but too early for them to implement more. If we haven't seen another dual card by this time next year, I'll start leaning toward it probably being a one-and-done thing.