Sign in to follow this  
migs6000

Are T-70s viable?

IF you don't have to run into triple Scouts, or double w/Party Bus, you can win plenty of games with T-70s. If you aren't that lucky? Say bye-bye to any sliver of a chance at a positive win loss ratio. At least that's been my experience thus far. The Contracted Scout is pure poison to Rebel small based lists. Full stop. I wish it weren't so, and it will take a damned big change for me to forgive FFG for it. How they missed it in play testing is beyond my comprehension.

But! You can still have a ton of positive gaming experiences against everything else. The T-70 is fun. It's shooty enough and maneuverable enough to give you a chance even against Palp Aces. Why? Because they can't evaporate your ship and still have the firepower left to cripple another in a single round. Bloody hard work is required. But it's worth the effort.

There. My 2¢ has been added to everyone else's. So fly the T-70 and just accept that Jumpmasters own your ass.

"viable" is shorthand for cowardly bore.

Yeah thanks for your input, I'm sure you're fun to be around.

I'm glad this spurred some debate. Where I play in tournaments, palp aces ruled for awhile. Now the defenders have taken over. I'll continue to play my beloved X-wings (both versions) casual but in a tournament setting, I have to fly something else until FFG makes some changes

It really depends on your definition of viable. Based on my view, yes it is. 

Ok, but what's your basis for this?

Generally, the term viable is "is taken into the cut on a regular basis", which T-70s are not.

Edited by Razgriz25thinf

But the 3pts extra you pay for the T70 over the T65 pays for an extra shield, the boost action, an extra green on the dial and the option for the three talon roll.

Many things that aren't reflected in the jousting efficiency.

But the 3pts extra you pay for the T70 over the T65 pays for an extra shield, the boost action, an extra green on the dial and the option for the three talon roll.

Many things that aren't reflected in the jousting efficiency.

True

like Biggs

Biggs has a MASSIVE impact in efficiency because he can at the simplest level give you range 1 without granting that bonus to your opponent (who must shoot Biggs at range 2)

Ito t70 benefit, almost all their abilities are dice based or not really massive enough to overcome inefficiency

Asty for example is great fun, but his ability simply isn't as impactful as you'd hope when he's still only slinging barely modified 3 dice

I'm not a big mathwing guy, but I know from experience which ships can reliably punch through dice or trade them well

The t70 sadly is neither, and no amount of skill will overcome that sadly

Edited by ficklegreendice

Answer me this, please: why do people keep suggesting Push the Limit on Ello Asty? He only has white T-rolls when he's not stressed. Do you just hold off until after your first Tallon Roll, and PtL off of that? Essentially PtL's sole purpose is to let him Boost+Focus after he flips. Seems situational, and Predator would work better with his ability so he could focus every round and have decent offense, and be able to white T-rolls at any moment.

Answer me this, please: why do people keep suggesting Push the Limit on Ello Asty? He only has white T-rolls when he's not stressed. Do you just hold off until after your first Tallon Roll, and PtL off of that? Essentially PtL's sole purpose is to let him Boost+Focus after he flips. Seems situational, and Predator would work better with his ability so he could focus every round and have decent offense, and be able to white T-rolls at any moment.

I'm confused about that as well. I've been meaning to give Ello Asty a try for a while now, and I'm definitely planning on Predator for the same reasons you've given.

Edited by Myth Child

It really depends on your definition of viable. Based on my view, yes it is. 

Ok, but what's your basis for this?

Generally, the term viable is "is taken into the cut on a regular basis", which T-70s are not.

Personally, that metric is stupidly restrictive. Viable to me is the tier 1.5/2 stuff. Stuff that are not the gatekeepers, that has to be planned around, but can do decently in a smaller, less meta oriented crowd. 

Are Tacos Viable?

Chicken or fish?

You know.....I wonder about Burritos in this case?  Are Fish Burrito's viable?  Odd combo, but I think it can really shake up the whole Tex Mex meta.

OMG Fish Burritos are amazing. Basically autoinclude.

Excellent.  Fish Aces!  New Meta confirmed.

The T70 and T65 are both on par with the crowd, but the T65 has better pilot abilities, which is letting the T65 compete in the meta, whereas the T70 only has Poe.

Yes but the T-70 has better stats to point cost as well as a better dial and actions. Take T-70 over classic X-wing in any case (with the exception of Biggs who is making a comeback against the torpedo boat alpha strike meta.)

Are you trying to build a bleeding edge competitive squad to take to worlds? Are competitors in your area sharpening their skills with bleeding edge squads to take to worlds?

If you answered no to both questions, the T-70 is viable. It has a rough time with alpha strikes, it has a rough time with arc dodgers (unless VI/Adaptability on Poe or Ello), it certainly has a rough time with Dengaroo. Do you see lots of those things when you play? If not, sure, use Poe or whoever. 

The T70 and T65 are both on par with the crowd, but the T65 has better pilot abilities, which is letting the T65 compete in the meta, whereas the T70 only has Poe.

Yes but the T-70 has better stats to point cost as well as a better dial and actions. Take T-70 over classic X-wing in any case (with the exception of Biggs who is making a comeback against the torpedo boat alpha strike meta.)

Biggs, Wes Janson, Poe Dameron, and Wedge, in order of usefulness. The T70s extra stats and abilites do not equal Biggs or Wes's pilot abilities, regardless of platform.

I've been liking both the blue with R3-A2 and integrated astro or red vet with the same, plus Wired.

The blue is the same cost as the stress hog but is a much more balanced ship. It doesn't bury itself in stress and it can actually shed it unlike the stress hog. With a 4 straight and boost, it can actually block up jump masters pretty effectively.

The red vet is 3 points more but Wired makes the stress useable, rather than JUST a downside. Increased PS means it can fit into a squad that can finish a scout before it fires.

I've been liking both the blue with R3-A2 and integrated astro or red vet with the same, plus Wired.

The blue is the same cost as the stress hog but is a much more balanced ship. It doesn't bury itself in stress and it can actually shed it unlike the stress hog. With a 4 straight and boost, it can actually block up jump masters pretty effectively.

The red vet is 3 points more but Wired makes the stress useable, rather than JUST a downside. Increased PS means it can fit into a squad that can finish a scout before it fires.

I actually do the Red Vet build (R3-A2 and Wired), teaming up with the standard Red Ace build (Comm Relay, R2-D2)...since I like using T70s and I want to use R3-A2, but not on the standard build that EVERYONE else uses (yes I know its more efficient).

I actually do the Red Vet build (R3-A2 and Wired), teaming up with the standard Red Ace build (Comm Relay, R2-D2)...since I like using T70s and I want to use R3-A2, but not on the standard build that EVERYONE else uses (yes I know its more efficient).

The stresshog is more efficient at delivering stress, sure, and better at dishing out damage too for a round. But once it's got more than 2 stress, it becomes pretty useless. Competent players will burn it down quickly or get behind it.

The blue squadron for the same cost doesn't suffer from the same downsides. I've had better results with the stress X and it is roughly 5 times as interesting to play with too.

In a small (10 people) local tournament on Saturday I used two Red Sqd Vets with targeting astro, IA and cool hand and had a great time with them. I ended up 2-2 for the day with the losses being very tight.

Were there any scouts? No.

Were there any TIE Interceptors? Nope

Were there any Palpmobiles? No!

Still, there were some strong lists and some very good opponents. The X's performed admirably, the talon roll with a TL and focus being very effective. I love the talon roll so much: that and the green 3 straight really add a lot over the T-65. 

Are they meta busters? Not at all but if you like the ship and it suits how you play (which they do for me) go for it.

I've seen more T65's than 70's in my local meta right now. 

A lot of it has to do with whats being run where you are playing. Don't worry about the tournament scene in Worlds if no one is running that locally. I've never seen a trip jump locally, but I've seen a lot of palp aces. I see a lot of our community flying what they want to fly and having fun with it... and isn't that what really matters? Having fun?!

In a small (10 people) local tournament on Saturday I used two Red Sqd Vets with targeting astro, IA and cool hand and had a great time with them. I ended up 2-2 for the day with the losses being very tight.

Were there any scouts? No.

Were there any TIE Interceptors? Nope

Were there any Palpmobiles? No!

Still, there were some strong lists and some very good opponents. The X's performed admirably, the talon roll with a TL and focus being very effective. I love the talon roll so much: that and the green 3 straight really add a lot over the T-65. 

Are they meta busters? Not at all but if you like the ship and it suits how you play (which they do for me) go for it.

You know what's really fun? Adding Advanced Proton Torpedoes onto that very Red Sq. Veteran build. You can launch fully modified APT's off of K-turns and T-rolls! It's awesome! (And it's really inefficient, too, but still AWESOME!)