Sign in to follow this  
incinerator950

Canonization of the Corporate Sector, Hapes Consortium, and other factions

FPSGecko reminded me of something, and looking through the wookiepedia, "Before the Awakening" brought the Corporate Sector back into the canon when Leia found out a Republic Senator was funneling credits to the FO through third party banks and companies.  I'm curious if they're bringing back other neutral and otherwise distinct groups back to Star Wars.

Yes I just realized this happen, I haven't been up to date with everything.

Edited by incinerator950

It's an interesting question.

If you look at the Original Trilogy films,you have the Empire, the Rebellion and a vaguely-referenced criminal underworld - notable mainly through the presence of Han, Jabba the Hutt and the bounty hunters.  The Imperial Senate was dissolved, and you could make a claim for Alderaan and Cloud City representing outside factions, but that's pretty much it.

The Force Awakens put the focus squarely on the Resistance and the First Order.  The New Republic, Galactic Senate etc were footnotes in the film, stanped out by Starkiller base.

So as far as the films went, there weren't a huge amount of agencies at work other than the protagonists and antagonists.  The universe - although described as vast - was kept quite small.

Rebels is a different matter, though.  And with Disney releasing new comics and books all the time, who knows what could show up and become new canon?

A little unrelated but a similar theme ..

Monsieur Lucas created an amazing universe and a lot of what we have seen has focused on a very specific element of it. That is, the events which occur between The Phantom Menace to The Force Awakens and following the shenanigans of a particular family (the Skydancers .. or something like that ;) ).

We are getting a glimpse of the greater universe but there remains so much to be explored. I'm loving that Rogue One (with the exception of one fella) has entirely new characters. I'm hoping that we don't see a Han Solo or Boba Fett spin off in the future. They're more interesting off-screen. Yes, these characters are great but let's leave their story arcs alone and explore some of the many other stories available in this enormous universe.

So, to your point, I'd like to see some creativity and explore other stories in the SW universe that don't involve a Skywalker or their buddies.  

I do too, but I don't want just Rebel/New Republic perspectives. The other problem with the retcon is that they're scavenging the EU for original ideas. Their fault for wiping away with a clean slate without a decent idea to replace twenty plus years of expanded IP, but they need to start fleshing out people who don't have fairytale plot armor and aren't apart of the Rebels. Which was the biggest flaw of the EU.

I just want the Hapans back for sexy redheads and Battledragons.

Where the hell did you pull that from? Z-95s were not a Corporate Sector originated craft. They were jointly made by Incom and Subpro.

Incom was headed on a Core World, Subpro was a Trandoshan company in the Outer Rim. Both may have ventures in the CS, but the Z-95 was a joint venture comissioned by the Republic and the IP was bought out by Incom when they ended their joint venture.

Where the hell i got it from was from Han Solo at Stars End in 1979  which predates all the retconning and game stuff that came later. Feauring the Z-95 as an outdated Clone Wars era fighter used by smuggler and pirates in the Corporate Sector. And since, along with the stuff about Incom etc, came the depiction of the Z-965 as a prototype X Wing which doesnt in any way match the description.

I contend that when it first appeared as a swing wing, bubble cockpit, fork tailed, wing mounted, triple blaster armed, twin engined  snub fighter, Brian Daley had little or no interest in explaining its origin and since the CS is a large sector with many industrial based planets And (small point but it is one more thing) it doesn;t have the T designation which would be logical for an X Wing precursor or one from the same production base. It was likely a home grown CS fighter design

Where the hell i got it from was from Han Solo at Stars End in 1979  which predates all the retconning and game stuff that came later. Feauring the Z-95 as an outdated Clone Wars era fighter used by smuggler and pirates in the Corporate Sector. And since, along with the stuff about Incom etc, came the depiction of the Z-965 as a prototype X Wing which doesnt in any way match the description.

I contend that when it first appeared as a swing wing, bubble cockpit, fork tailed, wing mounted, triple blaster armed, twin engined  snub fighter, Brian Daley had little or no interest in explaining its origin and since the CS is a large sector with many industrial based planets And (small point but it is one more thing) it doesn;t have the T designation which would be logical for an X Wing precursor or one from the same production base. It was likely a home grown CS fighter design

I think that if you consider the Z-95 a predecessor to the xwing you also have to take into account that the Arc-170 is as well. If you take and combine elements from both then you end up with the X-wing. If two design lines were to meet up then it would make sense to have an entirely new designation for the result. 

Retcons have a tendency to do that. Lucas ignored most of the EU, where as TCW cherry picked it with a rather ugly refurbish.

Still, a lack of info only lets another author take its place, and the official designation was a Republic starfighter built jointly by Incom.

Hopefully we get to see the CSA fighters or more pirates soon.