Sign in to follow this  
voltagejim

Question on core game set and individual ships

SO I have both the  regular and Force awakens core game sets.  Is there any reason for me to buy the individual TIE fighter, X-wing, resistance fighter, and FO TIE?  Would I be getting anything new in the packages if I did?

You don't have to buy anything else really, BUT there are definitely a number of great pilots and cards that are in those expansions that you do not have yet.

If you look up the ships/expansions in question here: http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/X-Wing_Miniatures_Wiki 

you will see what each expansion contains.

The Tie Fighter expansion gives you Howlrunner who is especially awesome if you enjoy flying Tie swarms, the X-Wing expansion has Wedge who is a great classic pilot with a great ability.

As with most things though, it all comes down to personal choice.

Best of luck.

There are some really god unique pilots, like Howlerunner and Wedge you will want, but there I no reason to buy multiples since you will get one of every unique pilot with a single expansion booster. That being said, both the TIE and the TIE f/o are great swam ships and you migh want more than three of each of them.

SO I have both the  regular and Force awakens core game sets.  Is there any reason for me to buy the individual TIE fighter, X-wing, resistance fighter, and FO TIE?  Would I be getting anything new in the packages if I did?

I thought the same thing when setting out until my brother bought me the TIE Fighter expansion. I was like what's the point I have two of these already. But then discovered Howlrunner... so good for a swarm she's worth buying that pack alone. Had no hesitation buying the FO pack when that came out and it's still the only place you can get Juke elite talent and Comm Relay tech.

If nothing else, the /fo pack has Omega Leader, Comm Relay, and Juke. That's a 26 point ace ready to go, and a **** good one at that. As mentioned, the regular TIE pack has Howlie, and the X-wing packs have a couple of decent pilots and upgrades each, but the /fo pack is definitely the most value as a first expansion out of the core sets I think.

The TIE Fighter Set will contain 3 new pilots (as already stated one is Howlrunner which is really good, Backstabber is also ok) and 1 new Elite Pilot Skill (Swarm Tactics).

The X-Wing Set will contain 2 new pilots (as already stated Wedge is ok), 2 new Astromechs (both of them are pretty bad), 1 new Elite Pilot Skill (Expert Handling)

The TIE F/O Set will contain 3 new pilots (as already stated omega leader is really good), 1 new tech (Comm Relay) and 1 new Elite Pilot Skill (Juke), which work very well together

The T-70 X-Wing Set will contain 2 new pilots (both pretty bad I think), 1 new Astromech (ok), 1 new Elite Pilot Skill (cool Hand, meh), 1 new Modification (Integrated Astromech, must have for any X-Wing basically), 1 New Torpedo (Adv. Proton Torpedo, not entirely bad)

They all have stuff in them that's worth getting (Howlrunner, Wedge Antilles, Omega Leader + comm relay + juke, Integrated Astromech), so decide for yourself ;)

Are you planning on taking part in tournaments? Or 'Flying Casual'?

If you aren't playing in tournaments, and you and your friends are happy to proxy cards (by printing them out from the X-Wing Wiki (or other site), then go ahead and do so.

No need to buy any more ships until you feel you need to do so...and then you too can become addicted!

eg I still haven't bought separate Tie/FO and T-70 packs, because I got 2 TFA core sets which have been enough of those. I don't intend to buy the Heroes of the Resistance pack, but I will proxy the cards from it.

Meanwhile, I will be buying all the different types of ship from all the waves - eventually.

You've already heard that that the various expansions all provide something that the core sets do not.  New Pilots and upgrades which are often very useful to have.

The other reason to buy the expansions is simply to get an additional model of the ship so that you could fly them in multiples.  Buying more cores may be a bit more economical but then you should consider the extra things that the expansion brings.  I'll grant that the X-Wing may not seem to get a lot of play even as a single but the various TIES are often seen in multiples.

Cool, thanks for the replies!  Will prolly end up buying those individual sets then.  I don't play in any toruny's, mainly just once in a great while with a friend, but I do want to get 1 of every expansion available for this game.  Right now I have every Rebel and Empire fighter other than those indivudal ones I mentioned in this topic, and need to get scum and all faction capital ships (Although looking at the price of some like the Tantive 4, and the assault carrier that will be expensive :( )