Sign in to follow this  
DanDoulogos

What Drew You To X-Wing

Like many on here i've been a SciFi fan for more years than i can count.

I've been primarily a Warhammer/40K gamer for 20 odd years, as its easy to get hold of in the UK, and i loved the background. Whatever i play it will always be heavily based on the fluff/enjoyment i get from the story/characters.

Cue University where i end up working part time for GW and build a group of close friends. We go our separate ways after uni and Warhammer tournies are a good excuse/reason to meet up again.

WH dies and I'm looking for another game, just as my son gets into Star Wars.

Bounce through a few other game systems then discover that there is an X-Wing scene near me.

Grab a few bits and start playing. Have even managed to play a few games with the starter sets with the wife.

My son is 4.5 and so far I've just been getting him used to shooting and moving, not worrying about actions or dials too much.

Really want to try Imperial Assault too (some fantastic minis to paint!), but think that might be too involved for him at the moment!

I am also an Attack Wing convert.  I love both franchises, but the prequel movies soured me on Star Wars for a while.  In the end, I didn't like the Star Trek version of the game for several reasons, but enjoyed the game system enough to give it another try.  I like that the ships are pre-painted because I can take my time and re-paint the ones I like and leave the others as-is and they still look good.

Me too. I love Star Trek but Attack Wing has too many problems. X-Wing is simply a better ruleset.

I played 40k for a few years but cost, community and rules bloat turned me right off. I tried Armada but really didn't enjoy it.

I started playing X-Wing about Wave 3. I love the dirty underside of the Star Wars universe so when the Scum faction was released a while later, I was so so happy! It's still my favourite faction, although the Defender is my favourite ship. I plan to re-paint all my ships eventually as it's one of my favourite parts of the hobby.

One day I was walking through Target and saw the core set, it was right at wave 2. My wife saw it and thought it looked like something I might like, and I kind of poopoo-ed the idea because I wanted to get back into Warhammer 40k. I was in Target later that year in Nov-ish and the core sets were on sale for 20, so I brought 4 of them, they sat on my shelf until Jan and on my birthday I crack them open with some friends. We played a quick game, we had no idea what we were doing but loved it. Never looked back since. 

(yes, I'm one of those who actually liked TFA :o  )

I love Force Awakens. I know it has issues but I love it!

I have watched Force Awakens more then any of the other movies at this point. (mainly because its on my phone and I sit at a desk all day for work so its easy to have it playing in the background while I work, that, Skyfall and intersteller are my big three right now. In fact I was just thinking I need to watch it again ......) Maybe this is crazy talk but I am starting to love Finn more then anyone in the Star Wars Unv, he is tied with Luke right now in my book. Rey is charming much more then Han, and BB8 is on pair with R2.  I don't dislike anyone in the Unv but I am really loving the new.

Edited by Cubanboy

I've been a Star Wars fan all my life, along with other traditionally nerdy hobbies like RPGs and miniatures games. I had gotten burned out on the cost and time commitment of games like Warhammer and Warmachine/Hordes, and had started getting more and more into board games. Every so often I would peruse the board game section of Barnes and Noble and see X-Wing, but I was turned off by other pre painted minis games, so I kept skipping it. Then two things happened.

First, I started getting into FFG board games more. I got a lot of appreciation for their design abilities, and was willing to at least look into most things they made. Then wave 3 hit, along with the HWK. Not only did I absolutely love the dark forces games, but I thought that a company willing to go EU would definitely come up with some really fun stuff. I immediately bought a core set, an a-wing, a b-wing and a HWK. The rest is history.

I was getting disillusioned with Age of Sigmar. So while looking for alternatives, I was attracted to the prepainted minis, the low model count and spenditure and the good reviews X Wing was getting.

Still play Age of Sigmar, but am trying to get into X Wing more.

I liked WW2 miniature games, but most were too complex and apparently I was the only one in my circle interested in that stuff.

In the past I played the X-wing/Tie-fighter sim games ALOT and from the moment I saw X-wing miniatures (nice prepainted models) I wanted it, sold my Magic:The Gathering collection and WW2 miniatures game and used part of it to buy X-wing (and rest into my other hobby: music).

X-wing is a little more inviting for others to join in, but unfortunately somehow my circle of friends either consist of the following two camps:
- Those who love star wars, but don't like board games
- Those who like board games, but have no interest in Star Wars (and often hate Warhammer) and haven't been able to convince them yet to try X-wing with me.

Haven't met other X-wing players in my vicinity yet and game-nights in shops are either far away or don't fit into my calendar.

Fortunately, this game still is fun when playing alone (one of the main reasons I chose X-wing over Armada (2nd is cost, 3rd is painted models)), my 5 year old likes the models (and I played the game with him a couple times with simple rules), so hopefully he'll grow up to be a challenging opponent.
My wife likes to play it too sometimes.

In 20 years from now, I probably see myself playing X-wing gigantic epic 3000 point games in my attic :P (one round an evening)

Edited by Ingaric

2 words.

Royal guards.

Also 2 words: Star Wars.

In the '90s I spent gobs of $ on Magic the Gathering, ICE's Middle Earth CCG, and Decipher's Star Wars CCG.  When ICE and Decipher went belly up and MTG changed it's core timing to "THE STACK,"  I bowed out and swore to never play a game that was collectible again.

I succeeded for about 15 years, until my brother said "Hey, I saw this cool SW minis game at GenCon.  I tried to resist, then I lied to myself and said "I'll only need Imperial ships, cool.  And I can proxy cards and stuff."

My wife regularly likes to point out the fallacy of all that. . .

I swore off blind collectible games. I guess that why the call it a 'Living' game rather than a 'Collectible' game. But even non-blind games can start adding up.

In the '90s I spent gobs of $ on Magic the Gathering, ICE's Middle Earth CCG, and Decipher's Star Wars CCG.  When ICE and Decipher went belly up and MTG changed it's core timing to "THE STACK,"  I bowed out and swore to never play a game that was collectible again.

I succeeded for about 15 years, until my brother said "Hey, I saw this cool SW minis game at GenCon.  I tried to resist, then I lied to myself and said "I'll only need Imperial ships, cool.  And I can proxy cards and stuff."

My wife regularly likes to point out the fallacy of all that. . .

Fortunately for you X-Wing is NOT a "collectable game" along the order of MtG and any of those other random BS games.  It may be collectable (as is just about anything) but that part has nothing to do with the "game" part of it as if you learn there is something you want it is relatively easy to just go out an buy it straight from the company for the same price everyone else has paid.

I'd love it if I could just go out and buy each of MtG's Power Nine for just the price of a standard booster pack and I don't even play MtG anymore.

Unfortunately I have what you might call "an addictive personality."  My fleet is NOT in my sig cuz it would be kinda embarrassing.  :o

Haha, I fully understand. While I don't have "an addictive personality" I am a bit obsessive. Which is to say, I think, I can quit and get out but until then I need to be fully immersed. My fleet is NOT listed either but we could get together have have pretty awesome games. Let me know when you're in So Fl.

I played the Star Wars CCG when it came out with my sons. We started Hero Clix but they went off to college and the military. I started visiting stores for tournament play. I've also done Monsterpocalypse. When I stopped tournaments, I started playing the Firefly board game and was in a game group that tried out various table top games (Monsters Across America, Battlestar Galactica).

Never got into miniature metal figures like Warhammer but recently playtested CounterBlast after doing the Kickstarter with a good friend. As I sold off a substantial collection of rare cards (MtG, Rage, aforementioned SW, Jihad/Vampires, etc) I learned I had $300 of store credit! I picked up more Firefly expansions and Ticket to Ride. The same friend who was in the board game group and earlier with the Hero Clix, mentioned I might like X-Wing. The store I went to had leagues going on but a fellow who worked there showed me the mechanics of the game, me with a B-Wing and he with a Y-Wing. That demo sealed the deal and I used the rest of the credit and some eBay auction money to pick up the collection listed in my sig.

I'll be retiring soon and look forward to X-Wing and whatever other shiny new game catches my eye and bank account.

Watched Will Wheaton's TABLETOP. Bought in to the Game January of 2015 and dwindling of account balances commenced. Never looked backed and NEVER kept a receipt.

I, too, was watching TableTop and came across this episode.  I'd seen X-Wing before, but really was only a card/board gamer.  Wave after wave came out and I resisted, as I really had no local scene where I was.  After having moved, now, I finally have a couple of FLGSs that supposedly have decent support for X-Wing, so I'll try them out.  Really, though, it just comes down to the magic that is Star Wars and how much I really enjoy the entire universe and now I have yet another outlet to be a part of that galaxy, far, far away...

My father Introduced me to Star Wars before I could even walk and since then I have always loved the Imperial aesthetic. hell, my night light as a child was a Darth Vader bust with the light-saber as the light. I also have fond memories of playing X wing vs Tie fighter after school with both my friends and my father. So naturally when I noticed a Tie Defender model in my local comic book store last year I decided to buy one of every Imp and Rebel ship available at the time. :D

The only reason I got interested in XWing was seeing a pic of the Millennium Falcon mini on display at GenCon.  I bought the base set, read the rules and thought... hmm.. this actually looks pretty good...

I had a huge hole in my life from buggered knee's and ankle's stopping me skateboarding and no more woman in my life so I went into GW looking at getting back into war gaming. GW tried to sell me about £500 of minis and paints and said I'd have to build and paint everything then come back for a demo. I didn't bother and bought an X-Wing core set. £30 got me models pre-painted and assembled which I could put straight on the table and try the game out. Really enjoyed the mechanics and started buying up more. right now I feel like the power creep has become a bit much in X-Wing right now so I've been enjoying alternate formats a lot more and playing other games but I'm not going to be parting with my collection anytime soon and will be hitting tournies a lot more when balance returns to the force.

Walked into my FLGS september 30th 2012 or so, right at the start, saw the game on the shelf, bought it right there and then along with a Y-wing.

It was the (assumed) connection to the old PC games that hooked me- they were always my favourite Star Wars "thing". that and the box presentation is still amazing.

X-wing's appeal has always been those painted ships, and not just "painted" but washed as well, so look fantastic.