Sign in to follow this  
DanDoulogos

What Drew You To X-Wing

more of a startrek fan but starwars has routinely put out better games, and while i may absolutely hate the plot of starwars i love the aesthetics.

Originally grabbed Armada because BIG SHIP BATTLES but there was like 1 guy that played it, and we got tired of facing each other. Xwing was pretty popular and getting more popular in the area so i grabbed that.

Armada is more of my thing because im a trek nerd and capital ship warfare is actually how i predict the future to be. Training people to dogfight in spacefighters is not only manpower costly but expensive in literally every way: so i suspect it will be a rare thing to see 1man ships in battle in say 2150ish. Doesnt mean that i dont like xwing, in fact i love it purely because of its tactical mindset and its the first game ive played that despite being a dice game, flying proper heavily outweighs dice more often than not. I cant say that about any dice game, and ive played a lot of them. Ive finaly quit 40k because it just feels like im putting my shiny models on the table, move them forward, roll dice, get lucky. Its so RNG riddled that its boring.

for those wondering why i didnt play STAW if i love startrek so much, simple: starwars puts out better games - STAW sucks balls (ugly models, bad rules, imbalances between factions, scale issues, etc etc etc)

Since the PC sims (specially TIE Fighter), I was looking for a good tabletop "emulation" of Star Wars dogfighting. X-Wing is almost everything I wanted (needs only boxed campaign and Gunboat).

Wheaton and Tabletop.

Haven't played a game competitively in ages and was kinda looking for something. Magic's business model is way too greedy for me these days. I was never able to get on board with hunting down super ultra mythical chocolaty rares and I've been steamed with WotC ever since they introduced them.

Netrunner seemed super fun, but the community didn't seem huge and even though the mechanics are brilliant (because Richard Garfield, that's why), the asymmetry of it threw me a bit.

Then I saw X-Wing. Beautiful, beautiful X-wing. It has a great ratio of skill to luck, the way ships move ensures that no two games will be the same, there are no random packs to buy; it pretty much has everything that I was looking for, except that it was a miniatures game rather than a card game, but it turns out playing with tiny plastic spaceships is fun as hell.

Good times.

Edited by CBMarkham

Kid through the original trilogy.  Played the 90's PC games to death for the last 20+ years (Star Wars space combat still hasn't been bettered imho).

Tabletop gamer for a long time, saw the preorder ads for the Tantive IV and Rebel Transport, curiosity piqued.

Played a few Core Set test games over a boozy weekend at Christmas a couple of year ago, haven't looked back since.

Originally I was turned off by the cost of each ship and the fact that they were pre painted. WHAT THE FOX WAS I THINKING! :D

Now I'm utterly hooked. I buy ships I'll probably never fly just because they look cool. I bought all 4 GenCon released ships for $100, and then I bought another ARC-170 for $30 more. I have a problem.

But it's so much fun that I don't even mind losing. Much. ;) Heck, the only times that I've ever had an NPE with was small based Rebels vs U-boats. And to me that says its a pretty well balanced game that I can have so much fun regardless of win/lose.

A New Hope was the first film I ever saw in the cinema. Since then I loved Star Wars. I really have been in the perfect age for the prequels. I was 14 for Phantom Menace. I liked it really much. And I probably still like it most of the prequels. I have read quite a lot of EU books (most of what went out in our country). What is kind of strange, I have stepped across the X-Wing book series very recently (I mean, like 2014 or so...) and I really enjoyed it. I knew about X-Wing the game for some time already but I have already invested a big deal to wargames (to name just some of them: W40K, WHFB, Infinity, Hordes and more). So I avoided it for long. Finally, when TFA hype took the better of me, I decided to go for it! I'm in since TFA starter set! And love it!

mostly the gobsmacking quality of the pre-painted models (and thank god because I paint like a chimp)

which is also the same reason I'm playing the ARC right now

13958144_10157257899895142_8962497886358

but really, it's the strength of the local community that has kept me in for so long

Please stop posting photos of your shiny new ships, it makes me sad

Cheers

Baaa

Just started a couple months ago. I've been in a boardgaming mood as of late, and while scanning around for my next purchase I came upon XWing.

Sure, I had seen the ships before in a store, and I love the collectible aspect, but I guess it was the conjunction of the boardgaming mood, the quality of the models, and finding out that the game is being published in my country, that pushed me over the edge and made me spend way too much money on little ships in just a few weeks' time.

In a nutshell:

1) Pretty little ships!

2) Star Wars!

3) Tabletop Gaming!

4) Reviews actually praised the game!

5) No need to import the game!

Edited by takfar

As a way to get models relatively cheaply and in a usable scale.

I also hoped for something that would be a StarWars minis in space that was much better than the horror that was Starship Battle from WotC.  I was ok with the WotC minis but not so much the distribution and certainly not with the game itself especially when compared to the skirmish game with a few minor (diagonal movement @ 1.5 squares instead of 2!!!) adjustments.

I saw it in a bookstore one day when I was looking at Star Wars books. Went home looked it up, and followed it for a couple months (this was right around when Wave 3 was released). I noticed how all the pilots were real pilots from the EU, and that pretty much sold me on it.

I've been a Star Wars fan all my life, so X-Wing had that on me.

I had actually bought a HWK for the model before my brother bought a base set. We played some 32 point free for alls and had tons of fun. Then it was a slippery slope to start collecting.

I guess you could say I'm a geek. I like Sci-Fi and even say that bad Sci-Fi is better than no Sci-Fi. So Star Trek, Star Wars and the like was awesome for me. I saw Star Wars repeatedly when it first came out. Plus I enjoy playing games, all kinds. Board games, role playing, miniatures, war games, historical war games, future war games, Eurotrash, Amerigames. Not all games, but a lot. I have a large Mage Knight collection, Large 40k Epic, and a couple of others.

So all this is a bad combination when several years ago I walked into a game store while out of town.

I saw the game being setup. They invited me to play but unfortunately I didn't have the time. I took one very long look at the Millennium Falcon. The guy had his own Hasbro (I think) CR-90.

After a few minutes I was on the phone with my wife and she asked about the game store. I said 'I found a new game. I'm not sure if I'll ever play it but there are a few pieces that I want to buy'. She said 'that's great what's the game'. I said 'Star Wars: X-Wing' and her response was "Cool".

Now I enough to both side to play a 400 point Epic game without even using Aces or Epic ships. I like my collection.

P.S. Does anyone know who wants to buy 6 regiments of 40k Epic. Yes six full regiments with command and hq detachments, 2 Titans; 2 Space Marines and 2 Imperial Guard.

I was always curious about it since I saw it on the shelves of Barnes and Noble, but unless I could play my favorite ship Star Wars ship, the YT-2400, I did not give it a chance. A couple years later I went over to a friends for game night, and we did a few simple tutorial runs which were fun. I went home later that night and checked online, and low and behold, the game was to wave 6, with the Outrider being the first ship I bought, even before the core set. (I used my friends collection at that point. He now HATES Dash Rendar.)

Now a couple expansions a pay check and a few Core Sets, plus a couple Epic Ships, I am quickly running out of room.

And I am still trying to get Eaden Vrill to work some how!!

Edited by Jadotch

Its Star Wars, fun, and used to be simple to pick up.

It's still simple to pick up.

Compared to when I first joined the hobby, (wave 3) no it isn't. Before "conditions" I might agree with you. Every time I introduce this game to a new player they are overwhelmed by the cards, abilities, and order of operations even with the new chart.

I knew I was eventually going to get into X-Wing since it came out, but I dragged my feet about it because I try to only have one heavily collectible game at a time. So after a few waves, I finally sat down with a friend (hi Megasilver!) who already had the game and he showed me what was what. Even though Luke failed miserably against those first few TIEs, I immediately loved the mechanics of the game and of course the theme.

I love X-Wing and have most everything (ships, anyway, not a lot of upgraded bells and whistles, yet), but try to keep my collection growing steadily instead of all at once.

Well I got dragged to Star Tours as a four year old, not knowing what the hell a Star Wars was. I didn't care though, I saw an X-Wing and that was it. Four red glowing engines spiraling into a trench burned an image in my mind I can still see today.

My father bought me our first home computer soon after and a copy of this...

Rebel%20Assault%202%2026.jpg

Damage done. I've not changed. When I play most of my lists are T-65s. It's deep rooted and its not going to go away.

Buying into this plastic crack was inevitable.

My buddy bought it and a couple expansions, so we played it. I thought it was okay. That led to somebody's work teammate being invited to game day who also had X-Wing stuff. Game started to grow on me despite the simplicity. Eventually I forgave Star Wars for all the painful mediocrity of the EU and prequels that had plagued it since the mid-late 90s, because X-Wing reminded me of the Star Wars from when I was a kid, and playing the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games.

I got into X wing for two reasons,

1 it was so much cheaper than the warhammer models I had been buying.

2 its ruleset was far more balanced than 40k's (which I have been playing for the last 10 years).

Still wish I had the money to play both, I play Age of Sigmar (because the rules are free) every once in a blue moon.  But alas my wallet can only handle one hobby at a time!  Such is the plight of the wargamer!

Edit: I also forgot that I used to play the heck out of X-Wing vs Tie Fighter back in the day.  So many memories!

Edited by AngryAlbatross

Please stop posting photos of your shiny new ships, it makes me sad

Cheers

Baaa

which shiny new ships?

these ones?

13584737_10157257899345142_5056227918477

or these ones?

13937824_10157257898575142_3446109742642

or this one?

13958262_10157244273395142_2727429254409

vader_NOOOO.jpg

Oh, and I like Star Wars, that's what drew me into the game.

Cheers

Baaa

Saw Episodes 4, 5 and 6 in theaters when I was 6-12 years old.  Watched the VHS tapes another 100+ times each.  Had about 100 action figures.  Read about 90% of the novels that came out starting in the 90's with the Zhan trilogy.  Was entertained by the prequels when they came out even though they were not as compelling as 4-6.  Was much happier with Ep 7 and am absolutely dying for Rogue One o be out already.  

I played a little bit of D&D in the 80's but we just used books and maps, no minis and we got all the books at Barnes and Noble.  I played the very first X-Wing PC game a little, but was more into spots games.  I have never played any deck building or mini war games.  I had never even been in a game store until after I started watching TableTop.  Now I have over 50 ships and half a dozen board games and 5 Munchkin expansions.  At first, I had a hard time getting anyone to play any of those games with me, but now I have half a dozen friends and family that have their own copies of many of those games and they trust me to try new ones when I bring them over due to how much fun the other games have been.

Say what you will about Wil Wheaton, but he is responsible for a few thousand dollars spent at FLGS's and several hundred hours of good times I have had with friends. 

My group of RPGers were doing a Star Wars campaign and I thought the X-Wings would make great minis for space combat.

Turns out they are really great for space combat!!

Edited by delenmast

Used to play Warmachine and various other minis games.  Eventually switched to LCGs when I became a dad and didn't have the time anymore and mainly played Call of Cthulhu.  Well, FFG cancelled the game a year ago and left many of us game-homeless.

After a year of not being able to find a good competitive game to play I revisited X-Wing.  I'd seen the launch demos at Gencon and at that time it didn't impress me.  Cool little ships, but too luck driven compared to what I was used to.  Now with a ton more ships and upgrades, you can apply a lot more strategy to the game and the luck factor is less, plus the original demos really didn't do a good job of showing off the game I think.  More importantly, there's a local community.  Very few games have a decent community around here.  I was interested in Armada too (bigger scale battles) but not enough people play it here to be a viable choice.

So even though it wasn't originally my first choice, X-Wing is working out pretty well so far and I do enjoy the high degree of options in list making.