Sign in to follow this  
Ken at Sunrise

FFG News - X-Wing™ for Beginners

This is some bad advice, lol.

If you like Rebels, buy a second X-Wing and a Y-Wing!  Uh, it forgot to mention that X-Wings are terrible and that you're Y-Wing is pretty useless unless you buy a Rebel Transport (R3A2), a K-Wing (TLT), or whatever the hell has the autoblaster.

They recommend more basic TIEs (though without Crackshot) or an Interceptor but no Starviper (Autothrusters) or A-Wing/ImpAces (PtL).

The truth is, X-Wing is not a game for beginners, so it's bit of a disingenuous article to make the entry bar sound so darn low.  It's not a game for beginners in the sense that your available lists will always be strictly inferior to the general meta unless someone is willing to invest $300-500 dollars at the outset.  So, no article, they should be afraid to play in tournaments if all they've bought is a Core, a TIE, an Interceptor, and a Slave-1... hah!  Dat Krassis!!  :lol:

Speaking as someone new to the game of x-wing this is an absolutely ridiculous statement. X-wing is a great game for beginners to get into. Everything is not about winning high level tournament play.

X-wing is absolutely a game for beginners.

I can't imagine how you can fool yourself into thinking you weren't one at some point.

Eh. it's a lot different if you started in Wave 1 and spent ~$50-100 twice a year on each new Wave and have been playing in tournaments for four years.  That's not even comparable to trying to start out now from square zero.  To say otherwise is, I think, optimistically naive.  It's like starting to play Magic now: sure, it can be done, but it takes a hell of a lot of commitment and investment to catch up to vets who have been playing for years.  You can't just buy a a few packs and go expect to win.  This isn't a bad thing, it's just the nature of the game.  But to publish an article that says the opposite is, I think, questionable.

Atlanta has first hand evidence of guys stumbling up at regionals, saying "whoa this looks fun what is it" and then being regional competitive before the next year.

So get out of here with all that mess.

Wait, do you think that player accomplished that with minimal purchases and without committing themselves?

Uh, I played two casual games of X-Wing before stumbling into a Store Championship in 2014 and winning it outright against a person who was considered (and who I still consider to be) the best player in the Bay Area. I accomplished this with the core and 6 expansion packs. I rarely play, and I win Store Championships or at least Top 8 them, and get Top 8s in the Regionals I participated in. I am proof that this is the most accessible miniatures game there is.

Honestly sometimes I think I'm playing the wrong game.

In case you haven't tried playing casual for a while I just wanted to let you know that X-Wings, Y-Wings, A-Wings, TIE, TIE Interceptors and even the TIE Advanced, especially with Darth Vader, is fun to play.

You don't even need the Rebel Transport of Star Vipers.

I play nothing but casual and none of those rebel ships do very well. 

TLT Y-Wings with stress hog not good? I mean outside when facing autothruster aces and alpha strike scouts?

X-Wings: Wes, Biggs, most competitive lists build around those two x.wings. 

A-Wing swarms, Jake+Dash? 

I can't imagine how you can fool yourself into thinking you weren't one at some point.

Eh. it's a lot different if you started in Wave 1 and spent ~$50-100 twice a year on each new Wave and have been playing in tournaments for four years.  That's not even comparable to trying to start out now from square zero.  To say otherwise is, I think, optimistically naive.  It's like starting to play Magic now: sure, it can be done, but it takes a hell of a lot of commitment and investment to catch up to vets who have been playing for years.  You can't just buy a a few packs and go expect to win.  This isn't a bad thing, it's just the nature of the game.  But to publish an article that says the opposite is, I think, questionable.

Atlanta has first hand evidence of guys stumbling up at regionals, saying "whoa this looks fun what is it" and then being regional competitive before the next year.

So get out of here with all that mess.

Wait, do you think that player accomplished that with minimal purchases and without committing themselves?

Yeah. He bought 4 b-wings and rolled us for half a year with solid fundamentals.

If you like Rebels, buy a second X-Wing and a Y-Wing!  Uh, it forgot to mention that X-Wings are terrible and that you're Y-Wing is pretty useless unless you buy a Rebel Transport (R3A2), a K-Wing (TLT), or whatever the hell has the autoblaster.

They recommend more basic TIEs (though without Crackshot) or an Interceptor but no Starviper (Autothrusters) or A-Wing/ImpAces (PtL).

The truth is, X-Wing is not a game for beginners, so it's bit of a disingenuous article to make the entry bar sound so darn low.  It's not a game for beginners in the sense that your available lists will always be strictly inferior to the general meta unless someone is willing to invest $300-500 dollars at the outset.  So, no article, they should be afraid to play in tournaments if all they've bought is a Core, a TIE, an Interceptor, and a Slave-1... hah!  Dat Krassis!!  :lol:

This attitude is one thing that is wrong with this forum, and maybe the game. Getting into the game DOES NOT MEAN GETTING INTO THE COMPETITIVE GAME!!!!

This is a very easy game to get into. A $100 investment, and you can have some variety of 100 point squads to play around with. Squads that you can have fun with.

Another thing that is wrong with these forums are players who act like everything is great and just wonderful and the only issues with the game stem from people's bad attitudes.  I remember playing in Regional tournaments with you four years ago.  I haven't seen you at a tournament in the past three years, so I don't even know if you've played the game at a competitive level in the past five waves (yet you post like an authority on everything).  Let me tell you, down in the (Death Star) trenches **** is nasty.  The vast majority of ships are not playable and unless you've got hard counters to the top squads you're in for a long day of losing with almost nothing you can do about it, regardless of the decisions you make during the game.Us grizzled veterans are not cranky because we hate fun and we hate X-Wing, we're cranky because we hate that X-Wing, a game we dearly love, is not fun anymore*

(*Caveat: not fun unless everyone involved forms a gentleman's agreement to draft up and adhere to some collective contract that says "we hereby agree to not fly X, Y, Z, or ___...... because it's too damned good.  I don't care how good your attitude is, running some off-meta list that literally cannot do damage to Palp Aces because you're relying on normal red dice--what a quaint idea--is simply not fun, and I can't see how even the most casual of players could have fun in such a game.)

"...down in the (Death Star) trenches **** is nasty." Lol, it's a tabletop game using plastic spaceships, maybe a little perspective.

So what? You start now, spend 200 instead of 100 dollar, get a net list, which you can not fly anyway and just start playing the game. No big deal. Heck, considering that these days VCX-100 + YT-2400 is a competitive list you might still spend less than in wave 1 as you only need 3 expansions for that list. A core set + 100 dollar ;-)

SEApocalpyse, I did as you suggested. I got lists from the net and played them. And I learned an important lesson. It is one thing to copy a list - it is another to understand why things work the way they do.. If you do not understand the mechanics and connections, you are up a creek without a paddle.

Edited by Lakenheath 72

Wow you guys are tough!!!

When we started playing X-Wing we played both X-Wings and Y-Wings all the time without those upgrades. I hate to point out the obvious but...

Do you realize this article is about playing X-Wing and only mentions tournaments in the last part. It isn't about tournament micro level inefficiencies of playing math-wing using calculus instead of dice.

Again being Mr. Obvious here but the Auto-Thrusters really wasn't a big thing until turrets.

Are you suggesting that FFG should stop trying to get new players or even casual ones that simply want to have fun playing X-Wing?

Well said.

SEApocalpyse, I did as you suggested. I got lists from the net and played them. And I learned an important lesson. It is one thing to copy a list - it is another to understand why things work the way they do.. If you do not understand the mechanics and connections, you are up a creek without a paddle.

Totally, I did mention that this will not win you games anyway, but it allows you to play at tournaments without feeling bad about your list building. And as long as fly casual is healthy people will give you advice on how to fly that list at events. Was the case for me too. Started end of march, went to the first tournament early april. I managed to lose with carnor, fel and inq against contracted scouts. Went 2-2 thanks to a bye, but basically I just went there to have some fun and learn something about the game. You learn a lot more on a event than you can learn from from the forums and you learn it at least 10 times more time efficient as well. 

hah. this thread. I picked up both cores and everything needed to play HotAC with my wife and, as STAR WARS FANATICS, we love this game. We'll never tournament, I'll never know what pulping your aces does, and I could not be having any more fun on game nights. Fun > all for me. But hey, I didnt PVP in MMOs or enjoy trying to kill my friends in Halo. I liked to Raid and do co-op in FPS.  

Im sure I'll keep on having fun battling co-op and a few vs. with my wife, flying the star ships I recognize from a galaxy Ive loved my whole life. We watch Rebels and cant wait to pick up some of Sabines Ties! Not for any other reason that Sabine is an awesome character in the show and we want to make up some fun scenarios to fly that ship in. Hell, I made one out of Lego after I saw that episode ;)

Im glad I signed up for the forums (honestly just to see what was in Mission Control ;) ) so I could see this thread tho. If this is how casual is seen I know that I probably shouldnt go to the X-wing nights the guys at my comic shop keep trying to tell me about when I buy more stuff.

Well, back to making a Lego proxy for the Rebel Transport so we can do the HotAC missions that need it. 

hah. this thread. I picked up both cores and everything needed to play HotAC with my wife and, as STAR WARS FANATICS, we love this game. We'll never tournament, I'll never know what pulping your aces does, and I could not be having any more fun on game nights. Fun > all for me. But hey, I didnt PVP in MMOs or enjoy trying to kill my friends in Halo. I liked to Raid and do co-op in FPS.  

Im sure I'll keep on having fun battling co-op and a few vs. with my wife, flying the star ships I recognize from a galaxy Ive loved my whole life. We watch Rebels and cant wait to pick up some of Sabines Ties! Not for any other reason that Sabine is an awesome character in the show and we want to make up some fun scenarios to fly that ship in. Hell, I made one out of Lego after I saw that episode ;)

Im glad I signed up for the forums (honestly just to see what was in Mission Control ;) ) so I could see this thread tho. If this is how casual is seen I know that I probably shouldnt go to the X-wing nights the guys at my comic shop keep trying to tell me about when I buy more stuff.

Well, back to making a Lego proxy for the Rebel Transport so we can do the HotAC missions that need it.

For what it's worth when I've played at my FLGS i haven't encountered the attitudes that are displayed on the forums. I do nothing, but lose at this game and still have fun. I even discovered dial VCX was a winnable list for me due to being very forgiving and i fly other things that i don't win with simply because i enjoy them more.

In case you haven't tried playing casual for a while I just wanted to let you know that X-Wings, Y-Wings, A-Wings, TIE, TIE Interceptors and even the TIE Advanced, especially with Darth Vader, is fun to play.

I fly them all regularly and do fine.

So my question is, whose anecdote do we treat as fact?

For what it's worth when I've played at my FLGS i haven't encountered the attitudes that are displayed on the forums. I do nothing, but lose at this game and still have fun. I even discovered dial VCX was a winnable list for me due to being very forgiving and i fly other things that i don't win with simply because i enjoy them more.
Here's the thing though, there is truth in both sides.

I tried going to game nights here locally, met some really great guys that were very helpful, not condescending and were just great guys in general. Know what they all exclusively played? Tournament lists, competitive tests, basically anything in prep or training for events. They play for fun in casual setting but play their preferred lists for practice as any competitor should.

A new player, even if they are helped and coached will get wrecked game after game after game if they can't equal the stable or skill of their opponent. It is why I have Yoda'd myself much like JBR7 and TheHastyTadpole above to only HOTAC (which I love) and the ocassional skirmsh with full on blunder lists. We cheat, we laugh, we have a great time but telling people that you can spend $55 and hang with the boys (or I hear tales of ladies never seen one play though) is just not accurate. Losing over and over is more discouraging than any hate post here.

So encourage people to play, teach them, let them be them but make sure they know what the galaxy is really like before firing those engines up. I still very much want to see organized casual events for the non tournament crowd. Screw prizes just make it fun for those that seek that sort of play. There is a market for casual and just like any game they outnumber hardcores, I gurantee it.

Are you suggesting that FFG should stop trying to get new players or even casual ones that simply want to have fun playing X-Wing?

No, but they should be a little more sincere about the difficulties of entering the game at a competitive level, unless they want people bright-eyed new people to go to tournaments and casual leagues and friendly game nights and go 0-10 in their first few outings of X-Wing.  But not only will they go 0-10, they'll likely get absolutely shellacked in every single game if they're flying with just three or four Wave 1 & 2 ships (especially X-Wings, Firesprays, and Falcons, lol!).

The truth is, that X-Wing is not that balanced of a game, such that just about any combination of ships can do well.  Quite the opposite.  There are auto-includes (autothrutsters, PtL, etc.) for some ships.  To act as if this is not the case is disingenuous and sets up new players for frustration and failure and hidden purchases.

If FFG took appealing to new players seriously, they would be very upfront about the hurdles (both in cost and experience) to entering a game like X-Wing, but would point out that for players who are interested and willing it is very possible.  Then they should have articles where they explain why certain ships are so popular and good (instead of lying and saying that Six generic TIE Fighters without Crack Shot are some sort of current meta-dominating list), and they'd have an interactive list-builder that would generate a list of products players would need to buy to build the lists they have in mind.  But FFG is unlikely to do that, since they want to give new players the impression that you can be reasonably competitive right out of the gate regardless of what $100 of ships you buy (rather than saying that you'll have to limit yourself to particular ship types and you'll have to shell out money for ships you might not want for the obligatory upgrades), which is the actual case).

It's not a bad thing that X-Wing is packaged as it is and that players have to sometimes buy ships for upgrades, that's the nature of the game and thousands of us that play understand the situation and still love the game.  But FFG shouldn't be painting a rosey false picture that is so misrepresentative of the actual meta game, which is a lot more like Magic: the Gathering than they want it to sound here.

I think you missed that the point of the article was how to get beginners into the game of X-Wing. Not how they get into competitive level of X-Wing. They only have a brief bit about competitive play towards the end of the article. And even then, it's just an incredibly brief overview that tries to encourage beginners to give competitive a shot and learn from the experience there.

Competitive X-Wing is it's own beast altogether and would need an entirely separate article (or series of articles).

Exactly. Not everyone enjoys hyper competitive X-Wing. The Meta is irrelevant unless you are playing tournaments or you have a highly competitive playing group.

I wish people would realise that hyper competitive X-Wing and winning at all costs are not the be-all and end-all. The game is VERY beginner friendly. It's the community that can often put people off.

New poster here. 

Just wanted to say that X-Wing is definitely friendly to newcomers, and a blast.  The part of the article I very much disagree with is "go to tournaments".  I've been to several, and ALL of the people I've encountered are without a doubt obnoxious and horrid to newer players.  The community play is already starting to fizzle out here (lots of griping about no new players), because as people never seem to learn--casual players keep games in business.  If the game isn't fun, people move on, and the company can't make money. 

In any case, the people that I introduce the game to I warn to NOT go to tournaments....it will ruin the fun.   

No, but they should be a little more sincere about the difficulties of entering the game at a competitive level, unless they want people bright-eyed new people to go to tournaments and casual leagues and friendly game nights and go 0-10 in their first few outings of X-Wing.  But not only will they go 0-10, they'll likely get absolutely shellacked in every single game if they're flying with just three or four Wave 1 & 2 ships (especially X-Wings, Firesprays, and Falcons, lol!).

The truth is, that X-Wing is not that balanced of a game, such that just about any combination of ships can do well.  Quite the opposite.  There are auto-includes (autothrutsters, PtL, etc.) for some ships.  To act as if this is not the case is disingenuous and sets up new players for frustration and failure and hidden purchases.

If FFG took appealing to new players seriously, they would be very upfront about the hurdles (both in cost and experience) to entering a game like X-Wing, but would point out that for players who are interested and willing it is very possible.  Then they should have articles where they explain why certain ships are so popular and good (instead of lying and saying that Six generic TIE Fighters without Crack Shot are some sort of current meta-dominating list), and they'd have an interactive list-builder that would generate a list of products players would need to buy to build the lists they have in mind.  But FFG is unlikely to do that, since they want to give new players the impression that you can be reasonably competitive right out of the gate regardless of what $100 of ships you buy (rather than saying that you'll have to limit yourself to particular ship types and you'll have to shell out money for ships you might not want for the obligatory upgrades), which is the actual case).

It's not a bad thing that X-Wing is packaged as it is and that players have to sometimes buy ships for upgrades, that's the nature of the game and thousands of us that play understand the situation and still love the game.  But FFG shouldn't be painting a rosey false picture that is so misrepresentative of the actual meta game, which is a lot more like Magic: the Gathering than they want it to sound here.

I think you missed that the point of the article was how to get beginners into the game of X-Wing. Not how they get into competitive level of X-Wing. They only have a brief bit about competitive play towards the end of the article. And even then, it's just an incredibly brief overview that tries to encourage beginners to give competitive a shot and learn from the experience there.

Competitive X-Wing is it's own beast altogether and would need an entirely separate article (or series of articles).

Exactly. Not everyone enjoys hyper competitive X-Wing. The Meta is irrelevant unless you are playing tournaments or you have a highly competitive playing group.

I wish people would realise that hyper competitive X-Wing and winning at all costs are not the be-all and end-all. The game is VERY beginner friendly. It's the community that can often put people off.

I'd also wish they'd realise that the hyper competitive X-Wing crowd are not the majority of the player base.  Most people play this game for fun, be it at home or their FLGS.  My store runs regular events and weekly two-round events which see the winners receive gift vouchers.  But we never see many 'Uber-Meta lists'.  The people who play come for fun and to try out new and different lists.  The only time we see "the meta" dominate is during regionals, which can be expected.  But outside then, even people who went full meta at regionals bring a more relaxed and casual attitude to all the other events.

I'd also wish they'd realise that the hyper competitive X-Wing crowd are not the majority of the player base.  Most people play this game for fun, be it at home or their FLGS.  My store runs regular events and weekly two-round events which see the winners receive gift vouchers.  But we never see many 'Uber-Meta lists'.  The people who play come for fun and to try out new and different lists.  The only time we see "the meta" dominate is during regionals, which can be expected.  But outside then, even people who went full meta at regionals bring a more relaxed and casual attitude to all the other events.

Excellent point.

Judging X-Wing by the representation it has on the internet makes as much sense as judging anything else by its representation on the internet. The nature of the medium is such that it draws extremes, most especially the negative extremes. The game is neither so unapproachable nor the people such try-hards as you would be led to expect by reading this forum. Just like 99% of people are not as nasty, racist, or inconsiderate as you would be led to expect by reading pretty much any forum on the internet.

Show up to the game night, play some games. Probably lose, because they have been playing longer and recognize that it's all right, and in the meantime make some friends and have a good time.

Edited by KineticOperator

i started play in january.

in june i went to System Open and went 3-2-1 with boba-dengar.

i was not there to win, i was there to pewpew.

the game is overall easy to learn, you will not be the world champion in 2 months but hey.... what game allows you that?

is enough cheap, if compared to similar hobbies like videogames, or even bicycle or, dunno... hockey (not speakin about 40k dude). a fitness center or softair or comics etc is 50 bucks a month on average. i will have a huge collection in a year with 50$ a month. Face this.

in our group, we usually play keyan, kavil, n'dru, biggs, academy, chewbecca and kath scarlett. they DO well out of competitive play.

fly casual

Sounds like my wife and me. We haven't started HotAC but hopefully will soon. We need more casual players in So Fla.

TLT Y-Wings with stress hog not good? I mean outside when facing autothruster aces and alpha strike scouts?

Well I fly defenders so stress does little to me, I use tie shuttles for support so Wes removing tokens is no biggie.

And my defenders have outflown a-wing's every time.

And rebel y-wing's lack the scum versions range of movement it's not hard to burst one down then deny the remaining ships a shot by staying close.

Well I fly defenders so stress does little to me, I use tie shuttles for support so Wes removing tokens is no biggie.

And my defenders have outflown a-wing's every time.

And rebel y-wing's lack the scum versions range of movement it's not hard to burst one down then deny the remaining ships a shot by staying close.

You fly defenders. Those new defenders are awesome. Though I am not sure if that one list type against specific rebel ships which counter a whole lot of other lists is a valid comparison for the state of ships validity. ^-^