Sign in to follow this  
RepCommando

Gammas Doing An Alpha...

Really want to try this build out but I feel that it suffers from the long game after the initial pass.  With the slow dying down of Palp-Aces (I said slow) it seems like at least on a local scene that this build could dish out some serious damage on the first volley and then clean up the leftovers in the second and third passes.

As always, I welcome critiques and ideas from everyone and thanks in advance!

4x Gamma Squadron Pilot

------------------------

4x Guidance Chips

4x Homing Missiles

4x Extra Munitions

Simple.  Straight to the point.  Deadly.  But is it efficient?

IMG_0011_zpsoeyklqfg.jpg

I like the idea - for me the key is the EPT slot for Deadeye. That's a linch pin. I'd suggest Long Range Scanners. 

One thing I'm toying with:

GSV x2

- Deadeye

- Extra Munitions

- Plasma Torps

GSV x2

- Deadeye

- Extra Munitions

- Adv. Homing Missiles

- Deadeye

- Extra Munitions

- Plasma Torps

Edited by Imperial Mike

There is not a lot of modification available. 1 blank/focus to a hit each. If you drop homing missle to proton torp you can swap 1 bomber for jonus, shuttle, mk2, system and fleet officer. All 3 could get to reroll 2 dice, 2 get a focus to flip an eye to a crit. System officer could help with locks while you setup a 2nd pass.

There is not a lot of modification available. 1 blank/focus to a hit each. If you drop homing missle to proton torp you can swap 1 bomber for jonus, shuttle, mk2, system and fleet officer. All 3 could get to reroll 2 dice, 2 get a focus to flip an eye to a crit. System officer could help with locks while you setup a 2nd pass.

Jonus is expensive, and with their dial makes the extremely predictable, as now your keeping them all in formation around jonus. So easy to fly around with fast maneuverable ships

The homing missiles don't spend your target lock to fire, so with that and, a target lock to modify your attack, opponent can't spend the evade, and you have guidance chips to help modify even more.

Only thing I'd change from the op list is maybe put long range scanners on two and guidance chips on two. This way the bombers out in front can get their target locks early and not have to worry about the opponent ships moving after his and not be able to get their target lock, then next round his opponent ships are at range 1

Edited by Krynn007

I've played one game with 4 bombers...

...a Jonus (AWACS) shuttle, 2 GSV w Plas Torps (EM'd), Chips and a GSP with double tracers....

...against Corran, Jake and Horton (I think it was).

Took out Jake and Horton and a couple of shields off Corran without losing a ship (though Jonus was limping around on his last hull)...

...then the merry dance began - there was likely no way I was going to pin down Horn - he inevitably finished off Jonus and I couldn't get him in arc of more than one of the others at any time. Once they're down to just their pew-pew-toobes they don't have enough offensive output unless you can at least get two good shots, and dial doesn't help.

I won on time  - only scattered in three different directions on the very last turn, as as precaution, but kept the game alive up until then by chasing Corran rather than play for time by avoiding him.

In the opening engagements, this support-based build requires good formation flying, but it gets to a point that you can't avoid breaking up and the synergies are compromised. Learnt a lot from that initial outing though (XX-23's, pfft!) and the list will definitely get a re-jig before trying again... 

...net-net, 4TB's was enjoyable to fly and reasonably effective with those early strikes, but dropped off drastically. No matter what, I'd expect that you'd have fun trying it out.

Edited by ABXY

Without Deadeye (or at least long range scanners) you will not be able to fire your missiles effectively. Switch to Bomber Veterans with EPT.

PS: Generally I would always avoid having only ships with same mechanic in your squad. For example pure bomber lists, pure TLT lists etc. A mixture is always better in order to reach to certain situations.

Edited by IG88E

Here's my take on it. I like the doombomber a lot. Useful blocker against scouts, scary counter against aces (who are forced to concentrate on your cheapest and worst ship).

Scimitar Squadron Pilot (19) TIE Bomber (16), TIE Shuttle (0)

Gamma Squadron Veteran (27) x 2 TIE Bomber (19), Crack Shot (1), Extra Munitions (2), Homing Missiles (5), Long Range Scanners (0)

Gamma Squadron Veteran (27) TIE Bomber (19), Deadeye (1), Extra Munitions (2), Homing Missiles (5), Guidance Chips (0)

Two loose pairs, with a LRS in each and a more reactive option in each too.

You're gonna struggle vs high-PS lists flown by a competent player. All he has to do is to make sure that after your move you are not yet in range 3, so you can't lock him. Then, he makes his move and enters range 3. He can shoot you. You can only shoot your primaries due to lack of target locks. Next turn you can lock him of course but he's gonna move into range 1 or arc-dodge you, so no ordnance fired again. Then it goes into the furball stage and you'll be hard pressed to disengage and get into a position to fire your alpha. You might be able to do it with 1 or 2 bombers but that will likely be insufficient to beat an ace list.

Essentially, bombers (as ordnance carriers, not shuttles) are only viable in 2 variants:

1.  LRS + Concussions or Homings - not very flexible because you need to telegraph your target before you close in and have to stick to your choice. On the other hand it is more accurate because you can have both TL and focus when you fire. It's also cheaper since you don't need EPT slot or Deadeye.

2. Deadeye + Guidance Chips + Proton torps or Homings - far more flexible but also more expensive since you need at least Gamma Vets and Deadeye. Also, less accurate.

Without either LRS or Deadeye bombers will only work if you have some other clever method of locking high-PS targets. 

And apart from that, I would hesitate to use more than 2 bombers. Alphas are all nice and stuff but you need at least one good late gamer to clean up. Otherwise it's enough for one enemy ace flanker to survive and he'll rip you apart.

Edited by Lightrock

I've flown a lot of Tie Bombers and it's not impossible to fly against high PS ships.  It's hard, so don't get me wrong, but it's not impossible.  I think you need some Long Range Scanners for the high PS ships.  Also, you need something special for that one ace that the enemy always has.  Oh, it's not always Soontir Fel, but it usually is.   I've got a trick to fend him off.

Also, going with a Jonus shuttle is a terrible idea as it pretty much gets rid of one Tie Bomber with ordnance.  What makes Tie Bombers work better than U-boats is that there are 4 of them (and they fire first).  They usually don't do so well against high PS aces, but if you play right and give a good loadout, I think you can do it.

Gamma Squadron Veteran (19)
Crack Shot (1)
Extra Munitions (2)
Homing Missiles (5)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

Gamma Squadron Pilot (18)
Extra Munitions (2)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

Extra Munitions (2)
Homing Missiles (5)
Guidance Chips (0)

Extra Munitions (2)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Total: 100

The one Gamma Vet with Crack Shot and LRS is just for the Soontir Fel type.  You put your TL on him and keep him in arc at all costs.  If you use your banks and Barrel Rolls, you should be able to keep him in arc at all times.  Don't let him set up a straight run on you or he's going to get inside your firing arc.  With LRS, Homing Missile, and Crack Shot, there is only a 2% that you won't get a hit on Soontir Fel.  That should be enough to keep him banking away from you....or lucky if he comes in at you.  So, that's a 27 pt ship pretty much negating a 35 pt ship.  Sounds good in my books.

The rest of your list can now take out the rest of his list.  One ship has LRS and should target someone OTHER than Soontir Fel.  Go for someone that you know you will be able to hit.  The other ships need to do that practiced Rule of 11 and stay out of firing arcs until you can zip into firing arcs.  You can do it against high PS ships.  Go for the bum rush, grab the TL, and hopefully have them bump you.  Then, you can 5 K-turn and light them up with ordnance.  The one with LRS will slow roll and just get shots.  

DON'T FLY IN FORMATION.  This is really bad.  You have to fly loose.  I'd even recommend putting your ships in the center of the board.  It will encourage your opponent to split up their list.   Put Crack Shot Vet on the flanker and hit the rest of the list with yours.  
Edited by heychadwick

I flew tomax with proton torpedoes, two vets with deadeye and plasma torpedoes and a shuttle with fleet officer.

It was really effective I took out two named a-wings and got keyan down to two hull on the second turn, I lost the shuttle.

So yeah four bombers can certainly work in casual play, competitive probably not.

Played a sqadron of Veterans with Crackshots, with a setup of:

- LRS + Homing

- LRS + Concussion

- GC + Plasma + EM

- GC + Proton torps + EM

Yes, each was different (I had to downgrade one Homing to concussion to squeeze in Protons). Scored second in a local tournament.

The plan was simple - I slow roll in formation with the LRS bombers in the back. They grab a TL early and than just focus. The chips guys grab a TL at first opportunity and unleash hell. Afterwards, the whole formation breaks apart, the EM bombers reaquire TLs on targets of opportunity, next turn K-turn and repeat.

First game was against a Crackswarm - dropped 2 TIEs in the initial joust and damaged a third, then it was a wild chase than ended with me losing on time only due to a lucky hit that dropped one of my remaining bombers on the very last turn.

Second game - double Decimators (Chiraneau + patrol leader); need I say more? Patrol leader got dropped in one salvo (the look on my opponents face was just priceless), after that it was just cleaning up. Lost one bomber.

Game 3 was Vader, Echo with Decoy and the Tie/FO that flies at PS12. This was tricky and it took me 3 or 4 turns to finally get a shot at Echo. Then it was a wild chase after Vader, while I saved the Tie/fo for last. Surprisingly, a 100:0 win (some good green dice and spreading damage between ships).

Crackshots help a lot in a bomber squad. Deadeye on the EM ships would've made life a easier, but I don't think it's critical. Also, fun fact: an ace that is TLed by a pair of crackshot bombers suddenly gets very nervous and does weird things just to get out of arc and/or range. :)

EDIT: also, a squadron of TIEs in tight formation is a thing of beauty that brings tears to the eyes of an Imperial pilot:

13923643_627211510770038_772631446171411

Edited by costi

Crackshots help a lot in a bomber squad. Deadeye on the EM ships would've made life a easier, but I don't think it's critical. Also, fun fact: an ace that is TLed by a pair of crackshot bombers suddenly gets very nervous and does weird things just to get out of arc and/or range. :)

First off.....awesome job!   I love Tie Bombers and have flown them competitively before all the fixes for them.  I like them quite a bit.  

Do you think you need both Tie Bombers to target the PTL ace?  There is only a 2% chance of missing if you have the Focus, TL, Crack Shot, and Homing Missile.  It frees up your 2nd Bomber to go after the rest of his list.

Did you find that the PTL Ace does veer off?  Is it impossible to keep at least one Tie Bomber with the ship in arc?  

i run 2 vets with crack, homers, em, LRS, one with proton bomb one with thermal detonator. Third ship is a LoneWolf Ryad.

Its hilariously effective. Even just 2 homervets is enough to rip a valuable ship out of the playfield immediately, and long as ryad keeps her SD until shes the last one she just never gets hit lol.

I had lots of fun with this list:

TIE Bomber: Gamma Squadron Veteran (19)

Deadeye (1)

Extra Munitions (2)

Cluster Missiles (4)

Guidance Chips (0)

Deadeye (1)

Extra Munitions (2)

Cluster Missiles (4)

Guidance Chips (0)

Deadeye (1)

Extra Munitions (2)

Cluster Missiles (4)

Guidance Chips (0)

TIE Bomber: Scimitar Squadron Pilot (16)

TIE Shuttle (0)

Systems officer (2)

Fleet Officer (3)

It does lack firepower once missiles are gone though.

I've been flying lists with 2xGamma Veterans the last few weeks, that's all the bombers I have.  Thinking of getting more though, probably a second Imperial Vets (as a 3rd TIE Defender wouldn't be bad either) plus one more blister.

Originally I had Carnor Jax + CrackBlack for the other half of the list and the Bombers were using a mix of Proton and Plasma Torps.  Right now I'm trying Homing Missiles and busted the CrackBlack down to an Academy TIE for better blocking which seems to be working out fine.

I really like how Carnor Jax helps deny focus and evade against the Bombers who are typically the priority targets here.

I've tried the Deadeye+Chips build and the LRS+Crackshot build (both w/ Extra Munitions).  I may just need to learn to fly it better but so far the Deadeye+Chips has felt better to me, I like the flexibility and easier time acquiring my second lock.

Also on my list to try out is a 2xScimitar variant that promotes the Academy TIE to a Sienar Test Pilot w/ title and Prockets.

I casually played with this list:

4 x Scimitar

4 x Extra Munition

4 x Seismic Bomb

4 x Concussion Missiles

4 x Tracers

4 x Chimps

I liked it a lot.

You have so many bombs to drop that no ace dares to approach from behind. So, very good area control.

The only drawback is the low PS - so if you fear to encounter U-Boats, you should go for Gammas - or you loose a bomber without having a shot.

mass bombs is so glorious. Ive lost count how many people thought they could weasel behind me and avoid the bomb only to get tagged anyway.

Heck even mass clusters is awesome. I ran a Kwing once with EM + Clusters + Clusters + Ion Turret. It just made a giant minefield and proceeded to ion people trying to take him out lol. Lousy idea in the end because dice luck but was funny as hell.

i run 2 vets with crack, homers, em, LRS, one with proton bomb one with thermal detonator. Third ship is a LoneWolf Ryad.

Its hilariously effective. Even just 2 homervets is enough to rip a valuable ship out of the playfield immediately, and long as ryad keeps her SD until shes the last one she just never gets hit lol.

I was going to ask exactly that - if running two (or three if you can manage with the points available) with a late-game ship would not work better. Recently I flew Tomax, two more TBs and Wampa with mixed result. The biggest issue was that once the ordnance was spent, the TBs are not that scary any more. I was flying against two turrets so by the time the Bombers would turn around to make another run they were getting chewed up pretty bad. I want to try this list (or similar) again, so your idea with two TBs and Ryad sounds appealing.