Sign in to follow this  
Svartnatt

Question about Skills that Provide Bonus Dice

I had a situation occur where I encountered a monster that gave me a -2 to my horror check while my Will was only at 1. It was an automatic fail, since I was reduced to -1 rolls, but I had clue tokens to spare so I spent them to roll rather than lose half my items. However, I also had the Will Skill that allows 1 extra bonus dice to be rolled when I spend clue tokens to add to my dice rolls. So I played it this way:

1. Pay 1 clue token to raise my Horror Check roll to 0 dice. No extra dice allowed for the Will Skill because no dice are actually rolled.
2. Pay another clue token to raise my Horror Check roll to 1 dice, with an extra dice thrown in for the Will Skill.

Did I play this right? When you raise your rolls to zero, and have a skill that grants bonus dice, those bonus dice only are counted if an actual roll takes place, rather than providing 1 extra bonus dice regardless of actual rolling?

Put another way, if I am at -1 to my roll, spend 1 clue token to raise it to zero, does the bonus dice due to the skill actually raise the roll to 1 dice? If so, I only needed to spend 1 clue token to get a roll, rather than the 2 I actually used...

Thanks in advance for any and all replies/answers.

Svartnatt said:

Put another way, if I am at -1 to my roll, spend 1 clue token to raise it to zero, does the bonus dice due to the skill actually raise the roll to 1 dice? If so, I only needed to spend 1 clue token to get a roll, rather than the 2 I actually used...

If you're at negative dice and spend a clue token, you are now at one die. The skill's bonus die puts you at two dice. That's how I learned it anyway.

DrFaust said:

Svartnatt said:

If you're at negative dice and spend a clue token, you are now at one die. The skill's bonus die puts you at two dice. That's how I learned it anyway.

You re correct. The use of the clue immediately puts you up to one die, plus a second for the bonus. If that fails, and you elect to spend anouther clue, you get two more dice. Lather rinse repeat as required.

Right. Spending a clue always gives you a die. Two if you've got the appropriate skill card. There are skills from Dunwich and an investigator from Innsmouth that spend clues in a different way, but other than that, after you apply all relevant modifiers, you can't have a negative number of dice for any skill check.