Sign in to follow this  
Felswrath

Plastic-less expansion

Would anyone else be interested in a plastic-less expansion? The idea would be an expansion that consists of a campaign book and some cards, but no cardboard or plastic. The hope is that it would be an inexpensive way to give us new campaigns (hopefully that use content from expansions so thy don't go to waste). Thoughts?

Descent 2E had a campaign book in hardcover published.

Ultimately the problem that Descent 2E had, which will surely be shared with IA, is that all the campaign material in the expansions will be designed to work in the vacuum of the Core+That Expansion.  With all the potential for desert tile maps that could be made on the back of Core/Twin Shadows/Jabba, we'll not likely see them except perhaps in a skirmish battle.

And I get it, they want to ensure that buying some hot new campaign SKU won't make it impossible for some players to enjoy it if they weren't keeping up with the series.  But it would be nice to use ALL the available tile options, rather than Core+Whatever Expansion for each campaign.

At least unlike Descent 2E, the Focus die came with the Core game, so you don't have like 7 extra green dice from all the expansions going to waste.

Descent 2E had a campaign book in hardcover published.

Ultimately the problem that Descent 2E had, which will surely be shared with IA, is that all the campaign material in the expansions will be designed to work in the vacuum of the Core+That Expansion.  With all the potential for desert tile maps that could be made on the back of Core/Twin Shadows/Jabba, we'll not likely see them except perhaps in a skirmish battle.

And I get it, they want to ensure that buying some hot new campaign SKU won't make it impossible for some players to enjoy it if they weren't keeping up with the series.  But it would be nice to use ALL the available tile options, rather than Core+Whatever Expansion for each campaign.

At least unlike Descent 2E, the Focus die came with the Core game, so you don't have like 7 extra green dice from all the expansions going to waste.

That's a good point. Do you think a download they could get us to pay for. That would save them printing costs. Has FFG ever done anything like this?

I think this is kind of the long term plan for the apps they're developing for Decent and IA: they provide a somewhat endless/repayable number of campaigns just from re-arranging the components you have.

But I think the idea of a figure-less expansion would work better in Decent: In IA, there's still tons of characters that have yet to be made and they have to pay for those Disney licensing fees. They'd still have to pay similar fees for a bunch of tiles if they were marked as Star Wars Imperial Assault but a pack with just tiles wouldn't sell as well as one where you get Trooper, Bounty Hunters, or an alien with a Lightsaber. Basically, unless the economics change, I'm guessing the best way for FFG to make money (they are a business after all) is essentially to keep doing the same as what they have been doing.

Edited by nickv2002

I too, would like additional campaigns, but think the app is their version of this.  Since the app for Descent allowed customization based on which expansions you own, you could get to use more tiles and troops than what you normally would with the boxed expansions.  This comes at the cost of being a little less thematic than what I would like the stories to be.  You wouldn't want a star destroyer bridge tile popping up right next to the Bespin dining room, for instance.

I'd like that. They could even do done cool things like put different types of missions that push the boundaries a bit more. Maybe even one shot mission or missions for specific number I'd players. Just things that fit the typical campaign but still have imperial player and rebel heroes

I'd be happy with a campaign book that uses all expansions released to date.

I know it wouldn't be usable by absolutely everyone, but if it's clearly marked as using Core, TS, Hoth and Bespin it would alleviate those saying "I wouldn't have bought it had I known I needed all the expansions"

The starting deployments and any mandatory open groups would only be figures from those boxes.

Maybe even a second set of personal missions for each of the heroes? A new set of Red missions would be awesome.

Personally, if they do go down this track, I want them to just say 'screw you guys, buy all the (boxed) expansions'. If we can't have a mission where Boba Fett, Bossk and Dengar team up to kill some rebels, I don't see the point. Not saying that every mission needs to be designed that way - in fact, they shouldn't - but if they did a campaign/mission book I wouldn't want to see it limited by the expansion model.

If they do this, it seems like it might be worth including the cardboard tokens and cards for some of the expansion content. I cannot imagine that it would be that expensive to include, it would allow more variety in the campaign booklet without needing more tiles, and it's not like it would mess with skirmish since you cannot use tokens in official tourneys anyway.

Cannot imagine that would ever happen, of course.

I say they should release a campaign book that makes full use of the expansions. It's a campaign book, not a full expansion, so their risk is less than releasing a big box expansion that's dependent on another expansion. But even so I'm sure most players who play the campaign will have all the boxes anyway, or at least be tempted to get them for a book like that...

As it is it's mildly boring when so many of the missions are using the same tiles over and over when there's perfectly usable variations in the expansions...

I would like to see an expansion of just cards where they create new skirmish versions of everything that has been released that did not have a skirmish version of the card, re-pointed and re-abilitied to fit with the new reality of skirmish (Han, Chewie, Vader) and completely up to date with errata (eg: Royal Guard, Sabs).

At that point, all deployment cards used in skirmish would be skirmish exclusive, and "campaign" deployment cards would no longer be allowed in skirmish.

I'd buy that for a dollar. Hell, maybe even 20.

Edited by Fizz

New tiles and new skirmish missions. A pack with 15 to 20 new tiles with a few new skirmish missions. A smugglers moon pack with tiles and a booklet for campaign or skirmish. No need for new Heroes and I'm sure we haven't finished the litany of Scum models yet to be released...

I would like to see an expansion of just cards where they create new skirmish versions of everything that has been released that did not have a skirmish version of the card, re-pointed and re-abilitied to fit with the new reality of skirmish (Han, Chewie, Vader) and completely up to date with errata (eg: Royal Guard, Sabs).

At that point, all deployment cards used in skirmish would be skirmish exclusive, and "campaign" deployment cards would no longer be allowed in skirmish.

I'd buy that for a dollar. Hell, maybe even 20.

I whole heartedly agree. $20 card pack that makes the meta more diverse is a great idea.