Sign in to follow this  
Eyegor

Luke or Biggs

Been playing around with a beginner list using just the material from my 3 Core Sets (1 red/ 2 Blue). For the Rebs I've been flying these 2 lists and can't figure out if 1 is better than the other or just personal preference. Whaddyathink?

Poe - R2D2, Wired

Red Sq. Vet - R2F2, Wired

Luke - BB8, Marksmanship

or

Poe - R2D2, Wired

Blue Ace - BB8, WG, Pro. Torp

Biggs - R2F2

I like the flexibility of Biggs and Blue both being PS 5. Makes it a little easier for me. I feel her ability + BB8 can lead to much hilarity but I'm not good at it yet. Red Vet. doesn't work for me as well in this line up. Don't know why.

So, is either of these two lists markedly better than the other or are they equally Sarlacc? Or any thoughts on Blue vs. Red Vet?

Thanks for the help.

PS. Although all suggestions are welcome I try not to proxy. Personal preference.

Edited by Eyegor

Biggs yeah. But i will add this caveat. You have to think are you more the offencive player or defencive? Though as i type this i would wonder why you would not have wedge instead of luke though?

Maybe have Wedge with r2-d2, poe with bb-8 ,Tycho with title, ptl, autothrusters, rage.

All this for 98 points for an offensive list. Just an idea. 

Edited by Flyingbrick

Thanks everyone for the replies (and keep them coming).

I'm not flying Wedge because he isn't in my hanger yet. Using what I've got I fly Biggs w/R2-F2. Not real popular but it works. It keeps him around quite a while but doesn't add a whole lot to the team because I find myself forgetting to keep him close to help protect Poe or another ship after the initial pass or two. I've been using Luke with some success paired w/BB8 to give him a little re-position. I also use his EPT for Marksmanship to add offense. Luke has his defense built in. I realize this is mainly a Wave 1 discussion and I have read many of the old threads on this forum but right now that is where I'm at. Thanks again.

P.S. Thank You FFG for keeping all the old threads. It makes picking up the game and catching up much easier.

I'd consider Luke + R2-F2, actually. The problem with R2-F2 is that it eats your action, whilst not providing much more durability than a focus token.

Luke, however, comes with a built in permanent focus - so he can use that extra die to full effect. And that frees up the better droids for the other guys.

I'd suggest:

• Blue Ace, BB-8 - as you noted, this guy is amazingly manoeuvrable. Paired with BB-8 you can pull some ridiculous manoeuvres. Sadly, he lacks the Pilot Skill to do it reactively (to named aces, anyway) and lacks firepower if using his action to boost. He's a hell of a generic TIE fighter hunter, though - use him to dance around generic fighters and shoot them up at close range whilst your named aces engage theirs.
  • Luke Skywalker, R2-F2 - When he has his actions, this guy is **** tough. Agility 3 plus a focus on every attack aimed at you - it's surprising how much fire it'll take to kill him. If you need someone to go "up the centre" this is your guy.
  • Poe Dameron, Wired, R2-D2, Weapons Guidance - Your most expensive, most powerful pilot. With Wired you can use your Talon rolls to turn in close without messing up die rolls to badly, and when you distress yourself afterwards R2-D2 lets you recover from the odd glancing hit. Your goal here is to only face one or two ships at once, and - if you have a say in the matter - you want this guy to be the ship you have left at the end, because one on one he's amazing. If needs be, fly in, murder someone on the enemy's flanks, then boost away for a turn or two whilst you recover your shields. Weapons guidance is not something you want to use often, but if you do find yourself in a situation where no-one has a shot back at you, it's nasty; Poe can convert 1 focus to a hit with his ability (which doesn't spend the token) then convert 1 blank to a hit with weapons guidance (which does). This turns a theoretically average range 1 shot result of [hit], [hit], [focus], [blank] into a four [hit] result which can one-shot a ship before it gets a chance to shoot back....
  • 2 Points 'spare' - because an 'initiative bid' gives you a decent chance of deciding who shoots moves first and shoots first (and two of your pilots are PS8, which is a popular value), as well as getting more control over the shape of the obstacle field (which is very important for making sure there are no big gaps  and you engage a TIE swarm a bit at a time, on your terms, not theirs.
Edited by Magnus Grendel

Thanks MG. All informative and makes a lot of sense. I've shied away from WG with Poe due to fear of spending the token. Likewise, Luke + F2 seemed too defensive to me, but you are making me re-think. Thanks

Edited by Eyegor

I always favour Luke and R2D2 not only thematically but the built in focus on defence and regen on top of it is tough to break through. Add a shield upgrade to make R2-D2 that bit more effective (as you can regen more shields) and you're away. With the upgrade cards you have it's one of the only times i'd use marksmanship. Luke can manage without focus for defence and can then sneak some crits through on attack.

For Poe if R5-P9 isn't an option (and I very much doubt it is) PTL and BB-8 is great fun. Reveal a green manoeuvre, perform a free barrel roll, PTL to perform an action and pick up a stress, perform the green manoeuvre, remove the stress again and then do another action. Makes him slippery as.

If you drop marksmanship or the whiled upgrade on luke you can probably fill the list out with blue ace.

I would highly recommend getting the A-wing expansion for PTL and as A-wings are great (if you like that sort of thing)