Sign in to follow this  
Chief Hugh

HOTAC- why start out only with the X and Y wing?

I'm playing HOTAC with a group and this is our first time playing it. Why are the others ships unlocked only at pilot skill four? Would it break the game if our group started off with say an A-wing or a hawk?

Thanks.

I don't think the A or the HWK break anything. The A-Wing is very underpowered, especially at low level. A player starting in an A-Wing is on "Hard Mode".

The only catch with the A-Wing is the pilot getting an EPT at PS2, but that's not as critical to the  game as it sounds. Pointed out, the A-Wing player should have 8 points, which pretty much forces the player to choose between rockets/missiles or an EPT.

The HWK will be more of a support ship. As a starter ship, it would get 10 points.

The "unlock" was more of a storytelling device. The X and Y Wings are the staple ships for the Rebels, so the groups starts with them and eventually as they have success, the squadron gets access to more specialized ships.

Well, there should be something to work towards, right?  The X and Y were the staple of the Rebel fleet.  The rest were special need stuff.  I think it works towards earning it.

Then again, do what you want, really.  

Outdated canon, these days the A-Wings are for the Phoenix cell, while other parts of the rebels have access to different ships, like X-Wings and Y-Wings … though I have the feeling that we gonna see in Rebels Season 3 how the alliance acquires most of their Y-Wings from the empire. ;-)

In other words it does sound a little as the A-Wing is the new first mass produce rebel ship, while Y-Wings are mostly stolen or bought second hand and X-Wings were later added.

In old canon the whole idea of starting in X and Y and getting As later makes sense, but with the additions of the disney stuff … not so much anymore. 

Outdated canon, these days the A-Wings are for the Phoenix cell, while other parts of the rebels have access to different ships, like X-Wings and Y-Wings … though I have the feeling that we gonna see in Rebels Season 3 how the alliance acquires most of their Y-Wings from the empire. ;-)

In other words it does sound a little as the A-Wing is the new first mass produce rebel ship, while Y-Wings are mostly stolen or bought second hand and X-Wings were later added.

In old canon the whole idea of starting in X and Y and getting As later makes sense, but with the additions of the disney stuff … not so much anymore. 

But those are Phoenix Squadron A-Wings, which suck. RotJ-era A-Wings (Which have a different design) seem to be much better. 

Flying a Phoenix Squadron A-Wing is probably like flying a Z-95. 

But those are Phoenix Squadron A-Wings, which suck. RotJ-era A-Wings (Which have a different design) seem to be much better. 

They might be phoenix squadron A-Wings, they might suck. But you know, they are still better dogfighters than X-Wings, even when they are clearly worse than Protectorat Starfighters. ;-).

Hey even Z-95s used to be better dogfighters than X-Wings in the X-Wing games :D

And man, I would take a 3 attack dice A-Wing anyday, imagine the green 2s, all 5 of them, with the ability to actually do damage. I am totally willing to give up a little speed for that :P

And the information on those the Endor A-Wings being significantly different is rather diffuse. Personally I am not aware of anything reliable on the subject. 

Edited by SEApocalypse

Yes, Disney. Good job utterly ruining the old canon. Originally, the RZ1-A-Wing was designed by Jan Dodonna shortly before the battle of Yavin. Meaning that the general design didn't even exist during the time of the rebels. I wouldn't be surprised if Phoenix squadron were flying customised V-wings, which were an inspiration for the A-wing. The RZ-1 had the ability to swivel its guns up to 360 degrees to fire behind it, giving it a extraordinary advantage in battle.

SEApocalypse - read the X-wing novels, they will explain everything.

As for the campaign, A-wings make it much easier to accomplish objectives in earlier missions due to their high speed with 5 straights and boosts. In a six player game, an A-wing is invaluable for leading away the TIE swarms that fall upon you in waves.

The HWK has a turret and crew slot, which leads to some very overpowered abilities in the early game when all you're facing is TIEs and basic aces.

Yes, a full squad of A-wings at the game's start is "Hard mode" but having just one in your squad makes your missions infinitely more easy. I prefer a challenge.

The X-Wing novels are legends. I am aware of the old stuff, it just not a valid argument anymore. Nothing destroyed either, the stuff is still an interesting alternative universe story and used a lot as inspiration for rebels and tcw. Blaming disney here is btw silly as the studio and director in charge is literally the same as for the clone wars. Dave Filoni is a lot more faithful to Lucas ideas than JJ was, which is kind of no wonder as he worked a lot together with Lucas for the clone wars. 

The idea to have separate cells with separate sources for supplies makes complete sense and the whole X-Wing novel background for the A-Wing became super wonky in context of all the Kuat fighters in the prequels. From a world-building perspective I like the Kuat A-Wing a lot more than I like the Incom A-Wing. 

Speaking of Kuat, my RPG character just replaced his A-Wing for a Alpha-3 Nimbus V-Wing, it is basically slightly slower A-Wing with astromech socket. Now that would be something I would not mind to see in X-Wing :D

I actually like the new canon compared to the old EXpanded universe. The a-wing should be a starting ship. Actually, the more I think about it, any ship should be fine however, I think the squad should all start out in the SAME ship. You can purchase new ships outside the squadron type, but if destroyed, you either unlock again OR go back to the default squadron ship.

Okay, but why stop at just the current ships in the campaign? Why not allow players to start in E-wings or K-wings and break the game altogether? THe point of having those ships unlocked at PS 4 - especially the B-wing - is so that the enemy AI has a chance to scale with the increased player power through the PS system in the reinforcements. The A-wing and HWK could be justified, because without serious upgrades they're less effective, but the B-wing especially and any other rebel ship will make the game easier during the start, leading to more exp generated, and then to an easier overall campaign.

However, you group may vary in what it prefers, so go with what's fun.

The A-Wing in X-Wing to me isn't quite the same as it was in canon or non-canon EU.  In literature, it was the rebel interceptor or was designed for reconnaissance missions.  It clearly can't hold up against an fully decked out Fel in this game and there is no recon, so it really is in an interesting place, even with the refits and stuff.

I do agree with heychadwick, though, in that it really is a great incentive to mark along the way and the mission designers clearly had a reason for making the stipulation in the first place.

The A-Wing in X-Wing to me isn't quite the same as it was in canon or non-canon EU.  In literature, it was the rebel interceptor or was designed for reconnaissance missions.  It clearly can't hold up against an fully decked out Fel in this game and there is no recon, so it really is in an interesting place, even with the refits and stuff.

Mission R1 rules out A-Wings for a reason. Which is kind of ironic as they fit so well for this kind of missions. 

Bringing an Outrider instead was just sadistic.

Okay, but why stop at just the current ships in the campaign? Why not allow players to start in E-wings or K-wings and break the game altogether? THe point of having those ships unlocked at PS 4 - especially the B-wing - is so that the enemy AI has a chance to scale with the increased player power through the PS system in the reinforcements. The A-wing and HWK could be justified, because without serious upgrades they're less effective, but the B-wing especially and any other rebel ship will make the game easier during the start, leading to more exp generated, and then to an easier overall campaign.

However, you group may vary in what it prefers, so go with what's fun.

Given HotAC's increased emphasis on speed and the author's previews of the next release giving x-wings IA for free (without taking up a mod slot), a B-wing with 4 XP would be fine as a starting ship. The K, T-70, and E not so much, but nobody here actually suggested them. Edited by Squark

Why no e-wing or k-wing? Because they are ugly. :P

As to the T-70, doesn't exist yet.

Now, my idea is that you can start with the same ship in a squad. Depending on which ship you choose, you get less xp.

So if a y-wing squad is chosen, 8xp.

X-wing is 5

A-wing is 5

B-wing is 2

While many seem to think the a-wing should get 8, getting the elite right away makes it a tricky spot. 5 xp is enough for Juke and xx-23 s threac tracers, crack shot and either stealth device, hull upgrade, proton rockets, ion pulse, or advanced homing missiles.

The b-wing having 2 is to facilitate not upgrading later.

Now, at PS4 you can still spend 5xp to get another ship, but if that new ship is destroyed, you must fly your default squadron ship.

The exception is the HWK-290. Which can be purchased at start for 5xp, so the first mission, if an a-wing, or x-wing squad are chosen you have to deal with 1 attack and the poor dial. The y-wing squad can at least buy an ion turret.

Additionally, if you are flying a purchased ship (from PS4 upgrade), this ship is different from the default squad and you must spend xp to repair it at 1xp per hull, or 1 hull for each mission not flown.

Now this DOES add book keeping, so you could just use the chosen squad variant above without the traditional PS4 ship upgrade rules.

Something else I've considered is if you complete the Defection II mission, ONE player can forgo the free upgrade, pay 5xp to fly a defender. The stipulation Elite enemies have strike AI towards you (mission role superscedes this) and if destroyed, you cannot fly the defender anymore

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange

Why no e-wing or k-wing? Because they are ugly. :P

As to the T-70, doesn't exist yet.

The E-wing and K-wing also dont technically exist yet in the timeline when the Aturi Cluster campagn is to have taken place. They were New Republic Era ships in the EU, and havent made it into the new canon yet....but one would assume they'd also be New Republic (post-Endor ships then too).

The Kwing , Ewing and T-70 are just flat out much much better than the ships that you start/can upgrade itno in the campaign, with no draw backs for being more epensive. And even when people have suggestted some sort of drawback or other type of exp increase to unlock them, they still dont come out perfectly.

Edited by knavelead

I've been tinkering around with plans to start a HotAC campaign at the FLGS, and my current plan is to have A, B, X, Y, HWK all available as starting ships. Because the game will be a public event, and I don't anticipate having a consistent group week after week, I want players to be able to drop in and out more easily and play with their favorite ships without a lot of hassle.

I recall reading that the 'starting points' for the ships as printed in the campaign materials is (essentially) 26 points, so I am planning to go with that as a baseline to make things easy to build with for new players.

That would put the starting XP at:

A: 8 (assuming 18 points for PS2)

B: 4

X: 5

Y: 8

HWK: 10

That all seems about right as a fair starting point to me. The B-Wing is slower and more clunky than the X-WIng and extra shielding is roughly matched against the lower agility... the B has some great upgrade slots, but still has to pay for the upgrades and can't take an astromech. The A is fast and agile, but less sturdy and doesn't pack a big punch (barring a one-shot missile, of course). The HWK gets a lot of points, but is fragile, slow, and absolutely needs a good turret and some other upgrades to do anything.

One thing I have been considering is dropping those numbers by 1 point, putting the starting total to a clean 25. It might not be a huge change, but the small decrease might be just the the right balance to a more open array of starting ships. Also, from experience I can say that when you give people a number that feels less arbitrary, they tend to find it a little easier to process, which would be good for an open event.

I also plan to give the X-Wing the Integrated Astromech modification as a free (no points, no slots taken) upgrade with any equipped astromech.

As for needing something to build towards, that's what buying upgrades / mods / elite talents / pilot abilities is for.

They might be phoenix squadron A-Wings, they might suck. But you know, they are still better dogfighters than X-Wings, even when they are clearly worse than Protectorat Starfighters. ;-).

Hey even Z-95s used to be better dogfighters than X-Wings in the X-Wing games :D

And man, I would take a 3 attack dice A-Wing anyday, imagine the green 2s, all 5 of them, with the ability to actually do damage. I am totally willing to give up a little speed for that :P

And the information on those the Endor A-Wings being significantly different is rather diffuse. Personally I am not aware of anything reliable on the subject. 

It's called a Protectorate Starfighter. :D

With that said, I see no harm (especially in the 'new canon') to letting an A-wing show up at the start. It might even be preferable - there's very little in the way of upgrades that it uses in common with X and Ys.

You're going to have a hard time of it, but maybe that's fine anyway... hm.

For everyone crying about Dodonna and his A-wing getting screwed by Disney, let's remember the Droids cartoon from the 80s had A-wings 5 years before Yavin. They even had 2 seater A-wings! It seems to me that what's 'canon' in SW has been fluid since ANH.

I've been tinkering around with plans to start a HotAC campaign at the FLGS, and my current plan is to have A, B, X, Y, HWK all available as starting ships. Because the game will be a public event, and I don't anticipate having a consistent group week after week, I want players to be able to drop in and out more easily and play with their favorite ships without a lot of hassle.

I recall reading that the 'starting points' for the ships as printed in the campaign materials is (essentially) 26 points, so I am planning to go with that as a baseline to make things easy to build with for new players.

That would put the starting XP at:

A: 8 (assuming 18 points for PS2)

B: 4

X: 5

Y: 8

HWK: 10

That all seems about right as a fair starting point to me. The B-Wing is slower and more clunky than the X-WIng and extra shielding is roughly matched against the lower agility...

I also plan to give the X-Wing the Integrated Astromech modification as a free (no points, no slots taken) upgrade with any equipped astromech.

As someone that has seen what the B-wing can do in the campaign early on, and seen what it can do in the campaign in general giving the Bwing players points starting out compared to the wing's 5 is ludicrously overpowered. 2 points is honestly good enough for it starting out if you insist on letting players start in it, or even no points and they get a stock Bwng until the first mission gives them points.

Or give all the other ships some more EP- other than the Ywing, 8 is plenty on it to go far. Half the time starting out I've seen Ywing players jump out ahead over wings by leaps and bounds, and the extra 3 points sure does help starting out...i'd almost say Ys and Xs should have the same amoutn starting out. With whatever amount the group decides on.

your integrated astro idea is perfect though. We did that for our last run though and it was needed a couple times by those that staying in Xs but thankfully not too much.

Edited by knavelead

So, you say that the B-Wing is "ludicrously overpowered", but that doesn't really help describe the issue. In what ways was the B-Wing outperforming the other ships? Was +3 shields and -1 agility vs the X-Wing actually way more tough to damage than the numbers suggest? Is it access to a System or Cannon upgrade as opposed to an Astromech that provided for a nasty combo right out of the gate? Is the dial being substantially worse than the X-Wing made irrelevant by the Barrel Roll action?

Edited by Aaron Foss

Firstly, after only one minorly successful game the B-wing can afford a heavy laser cannon, meaning that 1-shotting TIEs is an every game occurrence. They will also probably be able to afford FCS after the introductory mission. And let's not forget good old R2-D2 crew, who is superior to the droid in many ways. The B-wing's durability is superior, especially with sensor Jammer equipped, which makes fun of TIE swarms on the first round. Also, a B-wing can equip 2 proton bombs with Sabine, so goodbye TIE swarm. The B-wing becomes vulnerable against the higher level aces, but that won't happen until you're at least PS 4, hence the waiting period.

So, you say that the B-Wing is "ludicrously overpowered", but that doesn't really help describe the issue. In what ways was the B-Wing outperforming the other ships? Was +3 shields and -1 agility vs the X-Wing actually way more tough to damage than the numbers suggest? Is it access to a System or Cannon upgrade as opposed to an Astromech that provided for a nasty combo right out of the gate? Is the dial being substantially worse than the X-Wing made irrelevant by the Barrel Roll action?

The -1 agility is a minor issue, since dice are dice...and dont always roll perfectly. That 1 green die has only a chance, a chance at reducing damage by 1 per attack, while the +3 shields makes sure you have 3 hits more than an Xwing.

That about 50% more health which means the problem is that the Bwing can take a beating better than an Xwing due to it increased health, despite the lower agility. Since the Xwing is banking on good rolls which is not a guarantee.

Crew slot and system slot together are MUCH better than almost any Droid you can take.

The 2nd torp slot is really good, since you can have 2 torpedoes (well total shots of a possible 2 types with Extra Munitions).

Now that isnt something that is immediate that players at the beginning of the campaign will be able to take advantage of , but the fact that it is a direct upgrade to the Xwing's one is enough for consideration that goes to prove the Bwing is better at ordnance...which thanks to Guidance Chips, and Extra Munitions being a mod, ordnance can be great in HOTAC!

The Natural Barrell Roll action is pretty good.

Yes the Xwing can get that with Vectored Thrusters now, but that takes a slot...and it could come to a hoice between taking Vectored or Engine Upgrade...the Bwing can just take engine Upgrade and have both!

Now when it comes to rolling itself, well the Bwing will always have an option of doing it better due to Advanced Sensors ( yesat the cost of Fire Control Sytem..but i;ve seen plenty offriends use Avanced Sensors instead just so they can do movement shennanigans). Advanced Sensors lets you Roll before movement and then trigger Push The Limit for even more cool stuff...which by the way you can do a Green Move after to clear the stress! Or instead just do it after movment if you think on that turn moving 1stis needed due to the way the board state is, or do a Red move if you didnt do PTL.

The point so so many options are open to the Bwing due to the natural BRoll and and the System slot with it.

Firstly, after only one minorly successful game the B-wing can afford a heavy laser cannon, meaning that 1-shotting TIEs is an every game occurrence. They will also probably be able to afford FCS after the introductory mission. And let's not forget good old R2-D2 crew, who is superior to the droid in many ways. The B-wing's durability is superior, especially with sensor Jammer equipped, which makes fun of TIE swarms on the first round. Also, a B-wing can equip 2 proton bombs with Sabine, so goodbye TIE swarm. The B-wing becomes vulnerable against the higher level aces, but that won't happen until you're at least PS 4, hence the waiting period.

Most of this, is all completely my thoughts. But mostly you can instead of takingthe Heavy Laser Cannon after 1 game, but most certainly will be able to take the Mangler Cannon after just 1 game! Oh and honestly to heck with Heavy Laser Cannon, and just take Mangler! Oh my God is Mangler good in HOTAC if done right.

And for tht matter Josh Derksen (the creator of HOTAC) in an interview said one of his friends spent the entire campaign tricking out his Bwing to abuse Autoblaster at close range...where TIEs just evaporate in front of it. now that isnt the best due to range issues, but still proves that the Cannon slot is amazing!

Also Sabine crew is pretty nasty, especially with Proton Bombs (I just took Etra munitions and Proton bombs in my ywing this past campaign-so many kills!)

As for R2-D2 crewbeing better than the droid, I wouldnt agree there, but I can see the reasoning..either way there are other great crew members on the Bwing that are better than most droids--- Nien Numb! Kanan! Recon Spec! 3p0! Though I think the best results out of any of those is usually Nien, if you do the Advanced Sensors Push The limit combo I was speaking about earlier.

So I hope that cleared a bunch up on why I said "ludcrously overpowered". I could bring up more if you really want.

Especially once you start adding in pilot abilities for other actual combos.

R2 Crew is absolutely not better than the Astromech. Having the regen happen automatically is great, but it does nothing until you're down to hull and can't ever take you over 1 shield (only happens when you have 0 shields), and has the potential to turn hull damage into a crit. I'll take having to make a green move, and be able to recharge my shields up to full literally every time over those caveats :P

If we're looking at a toughness-based Crew vs. Astromech option, I think that Chewie is probably the most apt, and at the same cost, I can see arguments for either, with R2 being better for long-term mitigation and Chewie better against spike damage.

System slot does have some great options, though I have to say that Advanced Sensors / PTL tricks are not a compelling argument when BB-8 exists as an option for the X or Y... especially considering that Advanced Sensors takes your normal action away. BB-8 + PTL lets you roll > push > green > action, where Advanced Sensors + roll on the action bar only lets you action > push > green.

Fire Control System is definitely very good... possibly a bit better as a general-purpose 'good upgrade' than most Astromechs. Seems like the easy pick for the slot because of the low points investment and ease of use.

Accuracy Corrector is good, but only truly impressive as part of a combo with other things, so it seems on-par with other slots. Seems fine as part of a fun build-around strategy.

Sensor Jammer does add a fair bit of toughness against ships without Focus, which may make it more effective than it would otherwise be if you are working to take advantage of how the AI uses actions (and Barrel Roll definitely helps here). At 4 points, I expect something good from an upgrade, but perhaps the jammer is too good against the AI? Then again, if you're dedicating your System slot to a defensive upgrade, maybe that's just peachy as part of trying to build a ship to be more of a tank? Worth looking at and seeing how it plays out if it comes up, I think.

Cannons have the potential to be pretty nasty. Heavy Laser Cannon and Mangler being the two that seem most powerful. Tractor, Ion, Flechette, and Autoblaster all have niche roles that seem just fine, and would be used as properly 'secondary' weapons, rather than being used more often than the main guns.

Mangler is a little better than primary firepower (denies agility bonus at long range, loses attack bonus at close range), and makes it far more likely that you score a crit past defense dice. It also costs 4 points, but in a setting where a large amount of your expected targets carry no shields and rely more on range bonuses to avoid getting splattered before they get their licks in, the cannon may be better than intended.

Heavy Laser Cannon essentially just replaces the main gun at long range, not only adding an attack die at R2 and 3, but also denying the agility bonus for R3. That's a very powerful weapon, even at the expense of natural critical hit results. 7 points is expensive, but I can definitely see where (against a known enemy array that includes a lot of TIE fighters) the HLC may be too good for something that a player can rush to by game 2 or 3.

Crew options definitely add a very wide open array of options, some of which are definitely very powerful. I think at a bare minimum, I would charge for the modification as normal (1 point).

The extra Torpedo slot is one I hadn't thought much about, since it's a one-shot (2 with munitions as a mod) weapon. With Extra Munitions, having more ordnance slots definitely gets better, but perhaps that's okay if someone is trying to make a build that's focused on making a torpedo boat or bomber?

Looking at everything, I am definitely leaning towards dropping the overall starting points to a nice, clean 25 instead of 26. Definitely want to charge for the mod > Crew upgrade.

Some things to consider:

If all of these things are fine once someone hits the as-written Pilot Skill level for the cost of 5 points to switch ships, perhaps the best solution is just to charge a small premium in points for a couple of the problematic options. Off the top of my head: HLC costs 10, Mangler and Sensor Jammer cost 6, Crew mod costs 1 (maybe 2? Is it powerful enough to charge a premium?). This essentially just offloads the costs of the ship upgrade to the options that might be a balance issue, while still letting folks fly a ship they like right away, and not penalizing the options that don't cause problems with the early games.

Another option might be to simply restrict access to a couple of the upgrade slots until a certain PS level. For example, maybe the B-Wing Only has one of the three Cannon / Crew / Systems slots open at PS2, and you 'unlock' the other 2 upgrades (along with the normal mod or Pilot slot options) at PS3 and 4 respectively. This would have some narrative sense reflecting that your rebel cell didn't have access to enough materials or experts until the campaign has progressed a little.

Thanks for the comments. It's definitely food for thought while I plan out how to tackle things.

(Also, I am totally looking at numbers for using Scum ships if a player wants them, because that sounds like it could be super fun)

Edited by Aaron Foss