Sign in to follow this  
Hurdoc

FFG - Please create an app that could be used for Chaos Tokens

I just really dislike the bag mechanic.  True or not, if FEELS like I'm constantly fiddling with the chaos tokens.  I don't like it.  I wish they had gone with a different mechanic.  The fact that the number of tokens varies so wildly makes it hard to come up with a practical alternative.  I'll probably give one of the apps a try.

The bag mechanic offers a great deal more flexibility than a die would, including the ability to add or remove tokens due to campaign progress or even mid-game effects.  The only other way to do that would be a lookup table, which would get old fast.

We've already started to find the bag excessively fiddly, and will probably be trying an app soon.

You could still use a bag with dice: just use several blank d6s (each with several of the tokens' faces put onto them), pull one at random and roll it. Yes, you could also use other blank types of dice too. Yes, I suppose you could also use little stickers too.

You could use dice to simulate token draws. The standard bad setup for scenario one has 16 tokens, so 2D4 could simulate that with a lookup table (make sure they're different sizes or colours). But you have to decide for yourself if the extra faff of setting up such a table is worth it, especially as the contents of the token bag are designed to be fluid (and as such tables may have to be adjusted on the fly).

Download android app Randomiser and be done with it, in case you need randomization. This is what I use in my arkham horror or legendary plays when i have to pick between almost 100 investigators ( official and custom).